Author Topic: The big sports thread  (Read 33926 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

The big sports thread
« on: April 06, 2021, 06:50:43 AM »
I toyed with the idea of making a "general sports" thread a few weeks ago as a bit of a dumping ground for those smaller events that wouldn't get their own thread (like Lee Westwood's consecutive 2nd place finishes a few weeks ago or the Irish Grand National yesterday where the winner was a 150-1 shot).

So this thread will hopefully do that.

For those that are interested, Jimmy White yet again failed last night to beat Stephen Hendry in a world championship game in what was almost certainly his last chance. He lost in what was by all accounts a deathly boring qualifier on Eurosport.
Boing Boing

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

Re: The big sports thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 08:02:08 AM »
Good idea. i lost money on the Grand National but took money off Wm Hill. I had 2 bets on the Chelsea match. I backed them to draw and to win. With the price at at 14-1, as they would say in the Black Country-"I woz loffin"
I still think we could survive.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 11:09:16 AM »
For those that are interested, Jimmy White yet again failed last night to beat Stephen Hendry in a world championship game in what was almost certainly his last chance. He lost in what was by all accounts a deathly boring qualifier on Eurosport.

In fairness; Jimmy did beat Stephen Hendry in their last World Championship encounter at the Crucible. The qualifier was extremely low on quality; very scrappy but had some very tense and close frames if you were invested in it; so wouldn't necessarily call it boring. Their history bought a bit of extra tension.
Hendry making a comeback with a snooker with only pink and black left and highest break of seven; and another comeback with a clearance of 60+ needing every pot to secure the frame were probably the highlights.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 11:17:33 AM by ronnie_allen »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 02:17:26 PM »
In fairness; Jimmy did beat Stephen Hendry in their last World Championship encounter at the Crucible. The qualifier was extremely low on quality; very scrappy but had some very tense and close frames if you were invested in it; so wouldn't necessarily call it boring. Their history bought a bit of extra tension.
Hendry making a comeback with a snooker with only pink and black left and highest break of seven; and another comeback with a clearance of 60+ needing every pot to secure the frame were probably the highlights.

I didn't know White had a win against him at the crucible.  All of the talk pre match was of him looking to avenge his Hendry demons.

There's a funny video online of Hendry finding out about the draw a few weeks back while doing punditry (I think with Hazel Irvine maybe?).
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 08:54:43 AM »
Rachael Blackmore surely has to win SPOTY.

A grand national winner yesterday.

Paddy power gave me boosted odds of 11/1 - a nice way to end a horrible week. I have many a memory of placing grandads 50p each way bets after reading out the entirety of the card. The Grand national was always a special family occasion until I was old enough to get my season ticket.  I am sure he was guiding  Minella Times home last night.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »
Can she win SPOTY being Irish?

I had a decent win with minella times too. I only wish I’d put more on! The story seemed pre written with her and Henry de Bromhead. I’ve rarely felt so sure about a bet but I guess that’s easy to say after it comes in.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 10:38:43 AM »
Can she win SPOTY being Irish?

I had a decent win with minella times too. I only wish I’d put more on! The story seemed pre written with her and Henry de Bromhead. I’ve rarely felt so sure about a bet but I guess that’s easy to say after it comes in.

Ah good point, probably not. I overlooked the important part of her being Irish  :D

I believe non-british nationals can be shortlisted for SPOTY but they have to be resident in the UK aswell as achievements being UK based.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
She won me 400quid so gets my vote if possible 8)

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »
She won me 400quid so gets my vote if possible 8)
I also had Minella Times but only had a fiver on at 11/1 so not complaining!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 12:47:09 PM »
I also had Minella Times but only had a fiver on at 11/1 so not complaining!!

Good man! I had 50 quid (25 each way)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 04:36:09 PM »
Great batting performance from Worcestershire to draw first game of the County Championship away at the reigning champions Essex

Jake Libby carries his bat to finish 180 not out

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »
I opened my cricket season with 3/13 off 8 in a preseason friendly that we won by 70 odd runs... most importantly I can still walk and lift my arms above shoulder height today  ;D

More adventures from village cricket same time next week.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 10:53:12 PM »
I opened my cricket season with 3/13 off 8 in a preseason friendly that we won by 70 odd runs........More adventures from village cricket same time next week.

Sounds like a ripping yarn, can't wait  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 11:39:45 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-9463677/amp/Premiership-relegation-set-suspended-2024-25-season.html?__twitter_impression=true

In the least surprising and most predictable news possible, this years suspension of relegation from the Rugby Union premiership is now set to be extended for atleast 4 years, possibly longer. Likely that Ealing Trailfinders will be allowed to buy their way in, but bad news for progressive, ambitious sides who aren't quite ready.

The current top 2 are Bristol and Exeter - 2 sides who have gained promotion to the top flight in recent years. Shame for Jersey, Cornish Pirates, Coventry and Yorkshire.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:42:24 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 09:18:37 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-9463677/amp/Premiership-relegation-set-suspended-2024-25-season.html?__twitter_impression=true

In the least surprising and most predictable news possible, this years suspension of relegation from the Rugby Union premiership is now set to be extended for atleast 4 years, possibly longer. Likely that Ealing Trailfinders will be allowed to buy their way in, but bad news for progressive, ambitious sides who aren't quite ready.

The current top 2 are Bristol and Exeter - 2 sides who have gained promotion to the top flight in recent years. Shame for Jersey, Cornish Pirates, Coventry and Yorkshire.

Stinks a bit to me. Allow Saracens back in then lock it down.

I like Rugby, I go to 2-3 games most seasons but there is this sanctimonious attitude from rugby fans towards football at times Around rugby being less corrupt and supportive of the status quo than football, but it’s not. It’s as protective at the elite end as most sports.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »
Stinks a bit to me. Allow Saracens back in then lock it down.

I like Rugby, I go to 2-3 games most seasons but there is this sanctimonious attitude from rugby fans towards football at times Around rugby being less corrupt and supportive of the status quo than football, but it’s not. It’s as protective at the elite end as most sports.

Just mention bloodgate, they really don't like that topic. I used to play Union at colts level but have to say I enjoy watching League more nowadays, not so encumbered by rules and breakdowns in play, lineouts / mauls and rucking are so antiseptic now, I also think that the ball handling skills are better in league nowadays.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 11:45:30 PM »
Got right into NRL during lockdown. Liked British League but NRL is just another level. That and the commentary  ;D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 01:40:02 AM »
Sounds like a ripping yarn, can't wait  ;D .

I'm glad you think so.  ;)

We opened our league campaign today with a 170 run win. Jacko 3 for 25 off 8.  8)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 07:24:43 AM »
Got right into NRL during lockdown. Liked British League but NRL is just another level. That and the commentary  ;D

Super League is great, but NRL is on another level. They always seem to manage to find an offload even after the tackle down under and their halves are way more imaginative around the try line. It's good to see how the Brits down under are doing as well.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 04:51:23 PM »
Setback for BCC 1st XI yesterday with a heavy defeat by 98 runs... a creditable 2 for 46 off 10 in the circumstances, with 4 dropped catches costing me a nice 6-fer. Onto the next.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »
I'm not a big cricket guy but do any of you cricket lovers know if Oliver Hannon-Dalby is any good?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2021, 04:55:43 PM »
I'm not a big cricket guy but do any of you cricket lovers know if Oliver Hannon-Dalby is any good?

Journeyman county cricketer, so yes good enough to have a decent professional career but not an elite player. Plays for Warwickshire after starting out at Yorkshire.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2021, 05:02:35 PM »
Journeyman county cricketer, so yes good enough to have a decent professional career but not an elite player. Plays for Warwickshire after starting out at Yorkshire.

Thanks Jacko. He bought my off house off me last year and he said he was a pro cricket player at the time.

Was expecting them to be out shopping for country homes not Smethwick  ;D Handy if he plays for Warwickshire though, Edgbaston CG is about 3 miles away.

Edit - He's also very very tall

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 08:31:00 PM »
County cricketers don't earn all that much. He was probably on only 27 k a year, maybe less. Only those on central contracts with England or who play franchise cricket earn big money.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2021, 08:35:12 PM »
County cricketers don't earn all that much. He was probably on only 27 k a year, maybe less. Only those on central contracts with England or who play franchise cricket earn big money.

Really? I had no idea thanks for that info Baggies.

When he said cricket player i was expecting him to be on 100k or something, i know he wouldnt be on footballers wages but i assumed he'd be on a few grand a week.