Author Topic: The big sports thread  (Read 16677 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: The big sports thread
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2022, 08:17:09 AM »
Turns out Portgual made ot to the 2007 world cup. Who knew.

Anyway, huge result today as Georgia beat Wales in Cardiff to strengthen their claim to being included in the 6 nations. If they are going to take South Africa in, they really should bring Georgia as well.
Really dreadful display by Wales who didn't score a point in the last 55 minutes of the game. There will now be a lot of criticism aimed at Pivac and his coaching team as well as the usual calls for restructure of the governing bodies (which is an antiquated system).
In my eyes Wales have a habit of thinking they are good enough to control these 'lesser' sides. Georgia looked fired up but Wales didn't.

Good comeback by England. Yes it was a help with NZ being down a man for the last 10 minutes but that's the game. Just showed that England can play some good rugby when they put their mind to it. 
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2022, 06:48:23 AM »
Personally, I feel both England and Wales need new head coaches, but neither side does enough with the resources they have available.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 01:17:06 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2022, 01:21:06 PM »
Thanks to it being buried in Amazon most will have missed England's final international of the year - a big loss to South Africa. It means England won only 1 of their 4 Autumn Internationals.

It's hard to think of a worse year in English Rugby Union history, an poor six nations where we finished joint third with Scotland and then a poor set of Autumn internationals, sandwiching in the loss of both West(ish) Midlands rugby union sides due to going into admin with Worcester's and Wasps's futures uncertain.

Considering the financial advantage the European nations now have, its hard to see why we are so poor.
Boing Boing

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2022, 01:27:52 PM »
Thanks to it being buried in Amazon most will have missed England's final international of the year - a big loss to South Africa. It means England won only 1 of their 4 Autumn Internationals.

It's hard to think of a worse year in English Rugby Union history, an poor six nations where we finished joint third with Scotland and then a poor set of Autumn internationals, sandwiching in the loss of both West(ish) Midlands rugby union sides due to going into admin with Worcester's and Wasps's futures uncertain.

Considering the financial advantage the European nations now have, its hard to see why we are so poor.
I only watch Sport through catch-up unless I go down to the pub I had planned to watch the rugby with England, T won't bother now  :(

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #179 on: Yesterday at 07:34:05 AM »

Following the Autumn internationals I'd say that there are 3 favourites for the World Cup - France, Ireland and South Africa. NZ are close behind and England next (due to their player resources).
England are the main under-achievers and Eddie Jones certainly has to be questioned given the time he's been in the job now.

Bizarre Wales v Aus game this weekend. Wales played very well for the first 55 minutes and looked like racking up 50 points against a much changed Australia. A Tipuric yellow card for an instinctive trip and another yellow card plus Australia clicking into free running rugby mode saw them storm back against shell shocked Wales. Felt sorry for Pivac on Saturday but there's a lot of talk now about Gatland coming back to take us into the world cup.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #180 on: Yesterday at 11:03:31 AM »
I love my RU, but because its on sky etc its losing its appeal becsuse i dont subscribe to sky
How can some sports entice kids to play sports when you can only see them on dedicated sports channels that their parents can't or wonts pay for?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #181 on: Yesterday at 11:27:28 AM »
I love my RU, but because its on sky etc its losing its appeal becsuse i dont subscribe to sky
How can some sports entice kids to play sports when you can only see them on dedicated sports channels that their parents can't or wonts pay for?
Agreed, they should continue doing everything to keep the 6 nations and world cup on the main terrestrial channels. Rugby already has issues with parents justifiably asking if rugby is a safe enough sport to encourage their kids to play.