Author Topic: Winning mentality  (Read 7967 times)

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

Winning mentality
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I decided to calculate how many games we had won between December 2012 and now.
December onwards in 2012/13 season we won against: Norwich qpr Liverpool Sunderland Swansea Southampton (6 out of 24 from December to end)

2013/14 season we beat:Sunderland Manchester United, crystal palace Newcastle United, Swansea Norwich west ham (7)

This season we have beaten spurs Burnley Leicester and villa so far from 17 games.

So from the last 79 league games Albion have won 17. That is nothing short of awful. We need somebody to come I to this job whose not afraid to drop players and somebody. If we win one every 4 on this seasons average we will get 9 wins.

The club is in a awful position and it's just getting worse. We need a manager and a coaching team with fresh ideas, because relying on 3 worse sides isn't a clever strategy.
I think we have the players to finish top half but there not being utilised correctly hence why we only win once every 4.6 games.

Thoughts?
O Albion we love you

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Winning mentality
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »
December onwards in 2012/13 season we won against: Norwich qpr Liverpool Sunderland Swansea Southampton (6 out of 24 from December to end)

2013/14 season we beat:Sunderland Manchester United, crystal palace Newcastle United, Swansea Norwich west ham (7)

This season we have beaten spurs Burnley Leicester and villa so far from 17 games.

So from the last 79 league games Albion have won 17. That is nothing short of awful. We need somebody to come I to this job whose not afraid to drop players and somebody. If we win one every 4 on this seasons average we will get 9 wins.

The club is in a awful position and it's just getting worse. We need a manager and a coaching team with fresh ideas, because relying on 3 worse sides isn't a clever strategy.
I think we have the players to finish top half but there not being utilised correctly hence why we only win once every 4.6 games.

Thoughts?
god thats depressing reading, about 22% win rate is poor how have we survived in this league.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »

Thoughts?

Agree strongly. A strong new manager and coaching team would freshen up ideas, get players out of their comfort zones, mean no player's position in the side is safe, reduce complacency amongst the old guard, and ultimately lead to a better team being picked (Gamboa, Mulumbu, Yacob, Blanco, Varela).

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:52:05 PM »
Part of the problem is we don't have a winning mentality we very rarely string wins together. We lose 3 or 4 in a row and scrape a win. We need a manager who is strong like hodgson and can breed a winning mentality. Under Roy I believed we could for anyone a game and I think the players believed it too. Now I go to the hawthorns thinking we might get a Lucky win or earn a draw.

Need a winning mentality on pitch and it will come back to the terraces and the atmosphere will improve
O Albion we love you

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 03:40:41 AM »
 >:( What is winning mentallity? We haven't had that here for 5 years?...you are right we have a "stale-old-boot" in the coaching and managing department.

Things won't improve untill we get a young,energetic,fresh ideas coach like Clements (from Spain). Otherwise it is plow along with 22% win rate as stated by someone.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:31:42 AM »
Apart from the quality of coaching staff in the last 2/3 years I have always thought that the players in general lack confidence in being able to win games, especially after conceding a goal. I don't know if this is a specific player mentality issue or derived from their coaching. I suspect it is more of the latter hence why I like many of us want to see a complete overhaul of the coaching personnel and to bring in someone with fresh ideas and most importantly with their own chosen support staff. Of course this seems unlikely to happen unless JP changes his rigid set up.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
of course its the management. we go to places like hull looking to draw and I'm pretty sure irvine would have been happy with a draw v apr and villa.

we surrender games and try damage limitation rather than going there to compete. The manager is a coward with overly negative tactics. we need someone who is a man motivator someone who can install belief that that sorry bunch that we have been watching this year can actually win week in week out regardless of the opposition.
O Albion we love you

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 02:28:24 PM »
of course its the management. we go to places like hull looking to draw and I'm pretty sure irvine would have been happy with a draw v apr and villa.

we surrender games and try damage limitation rather than going there to compete. The manager is a coward with overly negative tactics. we need someone who is a man motivator someone who can install belief that that sorry bunch that we have been watching this year can actually win week in week out regardless of the opposition.

Nothing negative about the QPR game and I'd doubt he would have took the draw considering we attacked them from the off and went 2-0 up. Even when 2-2 we were looking for the win, at 1-0 against Villa Irvine wanted the players to push up and carry on attacking. Irvine is no more negative at times than Hodgson was, than Clarke was and Mel too who we had some awful games under. I like the way we set up against QPR, we are at our best as a well organised counter attacking team.
the regime don't like it man

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 03:05:35 PM »
Nothing negative about the QPR game and I'd doubt he would have took the draw considering we attacked them from the off and went 2-0 up. Even when 2-2 we were looking for the win, at 1-0 against Villa Irvine wanted the players to push up and carry on attacking. Irvine is no more negative at times than Hodgson was, than Clarke was and Mel too who we had some awful games under. I like the way we set up against QPR, we are at our best as a well organised counter attacking team.

The biggest problem Irvine has is, he doesnt and probably never will have the backing of the supporters.

And for that reason, he will never be a success here.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
The biggest problem Irvine has is, he doesnt and probably never will have the backing of the supporters.

And you have hit the nail on the head.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 04:32:24 PM »
agreed, even if he gets us to mid-table his style will be unacceptable to some. (me included up until this week)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 01:05:15 AM »
23 league wins from 94 games since Hodgson left!
O Albion we love you

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 06:22:23 AM »

The bigges problem is the style (or lack of) of football and the fact the we cant win games is the problem. Get us playing proper football and winning football and the support will turn.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 09:28:18 AM »
Counter attacking football doesn't work at home where teams sit off us. We've seen this for two years now. The first head coach/ manager who sets us up differently at home, on the front foot, pressing with energy will crack it. This would lift the fans and stop  the fans leaving in droves as it would at least provide entertainment. The Man Utd game was a case in point. Sadly the players and coaches didn't learn fr this and persist in setting us up to sit off the better teams at home. The players need t be braver, the coach (whoever is in charge) needs to push us towards a more pressing game at home.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »
Counter attacking football doesn't work at home where teams sit off us. We've seen this for two years now. The first head coach/ manager who sets us up differently at home, on the front foot, pressing with energy will crack it. This would lift the fans and stop  the fans leaving in droves as it would at least provide entertainment. The Man Utd game was a case in point. Sadly the players and coaches didn't learn fr this and persist in setting us up to sit off the better teams at home. The players need t be braver, the coach (whoever is in charge) needs to push us towards a more pressing game at home.

You mean Pepe Mel style!

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »
Not sure we got this with Pepe. He talked about this so at least seemed to understand the concept. A stronger man is needed to implement it though and with his own people.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »
Not sure we got this with Pepe. He talked about this so at least seemed to understand the concept. A stronger man is needed to implement it though and with his own people.

We didn't get it with Pepe as he didn't have the right squad to properly implement it, nor did he have the coaching squad back-up.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »
You cannot and will never have a winning mentality if you lose more or less every week.

It doesn't help when you get into winning positions like we have done on many occasions this season and then ended up throwing away the points against relegation rivals.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
Tell you what isn’t a winning mentality, kicking the ball out of play when you have a possible break, especially when the player is blatantly feigning injury and the f**king ref is waving you to play on.  Pathetic.
"This crack is really moreish."

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 09:37:11 PM »
Tell you what isn’t a winning mentality, kicking the ball out of play when you have a possible break, especially when the player is blatantly feigning injury and the f**king ref is waving you to play on.  Pathetic.

Was that Ben Foster?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »

If only we had a manger like Pulis.. he wouldn't stand for that sh*t.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:10:34 PM by addy »

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »
Again lack of character comes to the fore again, played well first half but as soon as we went 1-0 down the games was lost, players went in their shells and not one of them was prepared to take responsibility on the ball.  Regardless of Irvine or whoever the new HC is we need to bring in some new faces in who have some bottle.
"This crack is really moreish."

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »
After we went 1 down, we reverted to a lot of back passes and the big hoof from Foster, as per Dingle, Keily and their coaching manual.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »
For me we are in a no win situation. Whenever we go a goal down we never look like turning it around its been a long time since we turned a one nil deficit into a win. I'm racking my brains to think when was the last time we actually did that. When we go one, two or ever three goals up we cant even hold on to it.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
It will only happen with fresh faces, we still have time but we need to act now
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties