Author Topic: Richard Garlick  (Read 46812 times)

Matty

• Baby Baggie

Re: Richard Garlick
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
18 goals in 131 league appearances for Everton is why he (Anichebe) gets stick, that is a shocking record!  Of course I'll support the lad while he's wearing the stripes, but I do think this transfer will be Garlick's 'Luke Moore moment.'

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »
Not aimed at you matty as my brother says exactly the same, but as i pointed out, Thierry Henry scored 20 in 120 for Monca and 3 in 15 for Juventus before he came to England and he wasnt too bad! Also Billy Jones and Gareth MacAuley were supposed no hopers as they played for Preston and Ipswich (my brothers views again!) yet they turned out okay for us!

As stated Anichebe may well turn out to be rubbish but i think lets judge him after a season or 2 x seasons rather than 3 x months!

Matty

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »
Not aimed at you matty as my brother says exactly the same, but as i pointed out, Thierry Henry scored 20 in 120 for Monca and 3 in 15 for Juventus before he came to England and he wasnt too bad! Also Billy Jones and Gareth MacAuley were supposed no hopers as they played for Preston and Ipswich (my brothers views again!) yet they turned out okay for us!

As stated Anichebe may well turn out to be rubbish but i think lets judge him after a season or 2 x seasons rather than 3 x months!

I hope he turns out like Henry!! I genuinely want him to do well, I will happily tuck into a slice of Anichebe brand humble pie, just can't see it though.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »
Ashworth was Director of Football from 2007 and it is not as if there were no mistakes made on his watch. He was involved three Head Coach appointments two of whom were sacked within two years of joining the club so might at best might be regarded as partial successes. I make this observation not to run down Dan's work at the club but to point out that it is not as straight forward as Ashworth good Garlick bad.

A lot of the decisions that the Director of Football makes are pretty marginal and are mainly constrained by our budget to a series of similar options i.e. the Coaches we are choosing from are pretty similar. Either they are an experienced coach with a few blemishes on his CV or a relative novice whose CV is a string of successes but has not been tested in the most trying of circumstances. If the appointment is a success Garlick is a genius if it fails he is incompetent. The truth is probably somewhere between the two.  If the Head Coach fails with the advantage of hindsight the alternatives will of course be much better than the one we chose and collectively we will forget any of our comments to the contrary.

Ultimately Peace will make a decision as to how effective or otherwise Garlick is and given that it is Peace's money on the line I doubt there will be anything other than a hard headed assessment of his performance, and if he is found wanting there will be a new Technical Director. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
Well the moment Dan got snapped up by Roy I have to admit I felt some kind of writing going on the wall.

I THINK it was writing going up the wall, not sure.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:47 PM »
There is a difference between writing off and asking serious questions.

Garlicks first year has seen some questionable decisions and strategies. People can say Ashworth planned this window but I really don't think that is a fair reflection. Ashworth can't be held responsible for how the club reacted over the 3-4 months in the summer as he can not react to the changes that happen over the course of those 4 months. I do know however that during is watch, we never had to do the bulk of our transfer business in the final week of the window and certainly not on the last day. There is simply NO WAY anyone can say that was not down to bad planning and poor reactions to what was unfolding in the summer. The whole point of having a director of football is that they are better at long term planning where as a manager can be very short-termist. Well our business was a bit like Stoke's under Pulis - it was awful.

We can also ask questions over the money spent on Anichebe. He has been a premier league squad player for his entire career, so the logic in paying 6 million for him was a head scratcher at the time but now is looking like a very poor piece of judgement. Anichebe has proven he can cope at this level so i'm not writing him off but you gamble 6 million on a starter, not on somebody who has been a squad player during his entire career.

It's due to this that I feel Garlick does now need to get this managerial call right. The whole summer was a shambles with it looking form the outside that the planning and management of the window was extremely poor. If we now hire the wrong coach here, surely we can question his judgement? (and if not, then why not?)
Boing Boing

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2013, 12:08:44 AM »
In my view, Ashworth was a 9/10 for transfers, so far Garlick is a 4/10 - so obviously there's a huge difference.

I know it was always going to be tough replacing Ashworth and expected our signings to be slightly worse but as said, Garlick has approached it in the most cliched way possible - to spend big on known players...of course for a club of our budget it simply won't work in the long run.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »
There is a difference between writing off and asking serious questions.

Garlicks first year has seen some questionable decisions and strategies. People can say Ashworth planned this window but I really don't think that is a fair reflection. Ashworth can't be held responsible for how the club reacted over the 3-4 months in the summer as he can not react to the changes that happen over the course of those 4 months. I do know however that during is watch, we never had to do the bulk of our transfer business in the final week of the window and certainly not on the last day. There is simply NO WAY anyone can say that was not down to bad planning and poor reactions to what was unfolding in the summer. The whole point of having a director of football is that they are better at long term planning where as a manager can be very short-termist. Well our business was a bit like Stoke's under Pulis - it was awful.

We can also ask questions over the money spent on Anichebe. He has been a premier league squad player for his entire career, so the logic in paying 6 million for him was a head scratcher at the time but now is looking like a very poor piece of judgement. Anichebe has proven he can cope at this level so i'm not writing him off but you gamble 6 million on a starter, not on somebody who has been a squad player during his entire career.

It's due to this that I feel Garlick does now need to get this managerial call right. The whole summer was a shambles with it looking form the outside that the planning and management of the window was extremely poor. If we now hire the wrong coach here, surely we can question his judgement? (and if not, then why not?)

If I understand the deal for Anichebe correctly was that the initial fee of £3m but potentially rising to £6m with add-ons and if he never gets on the pitch I cannot see how we will trigger any additional payments. Setting that aside I don't think you can say the whole summer was a shambles. I think mistakes were made but under Ashworth we did a lot of our business in the tail end of the window so I don't think that has changed under Garlick.

I do think that we saw Kalou as being the pivotal signing and we spent far too long perusing him when it seemed fairly obvious that he wasn't coming. Secondly the Anelka meltdown really could not have helped and also I think the penny dropped that after his first few inept performances that maybe we weren't going to get everything we hoped for from the Frenchman. Hence signing  Sessegnon and Anichebie became a little more pressing and that was probably reflected in the price we paid.

Finally I think he was unduly influenced by the Head Coach who wanted a bigger squad which was a battle he seemed to have won because we were talking about a 22 Senior Pro squad plus youngsters whereas we ended up with 25 plus under 21's. It gave the coach plenty of options in theory but in point of fact did not deliver a coherent unit at least in part because the coach did have a coherent plan. A more experienced TD might have forced him to come up with a coherent plan and stick to the 22 plus under 21's guideline.

Ashworth made mistakes in 2008 and got a chance rectify them albeit after a relegation and it was from that point on that his reputation blossomed if he did not recover from 2008 I do not think we would be talking about him in such glowing terms. Good managers make good decisions but the real test of a manager is how they respond when things go wrong.

Garlick can and should be judged harshly if he repeats the mistakes and does not recover from the ones he has made. The first step is the appointment of the new Head Coach get that right and it will be a start.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
The transfer window was an absolute joke. Not once under Ashworth did we end in a situation of having to do the core of our business even in the last week, so to put any blame on him for it happening entirely on deadline day is wrong.

That for the first time in ages we spent decent money, 11m, with big wages, and couldn't come up with better targets suggests a serious lack of organisation. I don't buy the excuse we couldn't get the players when with that money, similar sized clubs made very good signings.

I still can't comprehend how we got rid of Fortune and got Anichebe in for 6m, who's been an inferior version of him. Genuinely one of the worst bits of business by any club for years, taking into account club size. Even if it is 3.5m rising to 6m (which we'll probably end up paying the core of as we certainly won't be unloading him anytime soon) its still awful value. The perfect example of a panic buy. What with the 7 other strikers we have here we didn't even need him either.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:50:08 PM by Dan »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »
None of us actually know what the initial payment was on Anichebe, it could well have been 4 million with add ons which is a lot in itself. People seem to be guessing it is 3 million but i've still to see a report actually state that in a local paper.

Certainly under Ashworth however, we didn't do the majority of our transfer business late on. Yes we would sign players in the final month however the business was usually all tied up in advance of the final week, showing good planning. On top of that, Ashworth was managing a scouting department that did not have as much money to spend on fees or wages and yet he still managed to find in his 1st full season Yousuff Mulumbu, Graham Dorrans, Jonas Olsson and Borja Valero (who despite not succeeding here, is now considered one of the best midfielders in Serie A and was previously considered one of the best midfielders in La Liga).

After that, he managed to build a policy of bringing in free transfers on better wages such as Steven Reid, Jerome Thomas, Gareth Macauley, Billy Jones, Keith Andrews and Paul Scharner, as well as finding players for only a few million such as Peter Odemwingie. His management of the transfer window even from the start was very good.

In comparison, Garlick has overseen a window that did look shambolic. Whatever the circumstances, he has failed his 1st test and he now needs to show he has learnt his lessons and is improving by bringing in the correct manager.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:40:37 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »
Is it me or has the rails come off now Dan Ashworth has gone. The summer transfer window was a joke, panic buys who on earth thought it was a good idea giving Everton nearly £6 million for a player no better than fortune. Another coach who comes in accepts the way the club is run but then after a year tries and changes things and leaks stories to the press and now 3 meetings with a guy who we would seem to want and hey then discover he will not accept the way the club is run and I would have thought was used to having a director of football and fixed back room staff. I think instead of a coach JP needs to get a better director of football.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »
Is it me or has the rails come off now Dan Ashworth has gone. The summer transfer window was a joke, panic buys who on earth thought it was a good idea giving Everton nearly £6 million for a player no better than fortune. Another coach who comes in accepts the way the club is run but then after a year tries and changes things and leaks stories to the press and now 3 meetings with a guy who we would seem to want and hey then discover he will not accept the way the club is run and I would have thought was used to having a director of football and fixed back room staff. I think instead of a coach JP needs to get a better director of football.
Really?
Put sess, Morgan and anichebe in the right (positive) system and watch them go, in fact the match at old Trafford was an insight how they COULD play?
Re anichebe, if he is "no better than fortune" the fact he's a lot younger and had more top flight experience must be a good thing?, this would also lead towards a higher transfer fee?
I may be wrong but most of the bargains we picked up (Jonas,mulumbu etc) were brought in when we were in the champ or just come up, we are now seen as a more established team and so teams will put there prices up, we are also dealing in a smaller pool for better players so the negotiations will take longer.
I'm also amazed that Ashworth gets halides as a superscout?, if he was why would a national team want him?
Peace runs a business vey well, I'd trust any of his appointments.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2013, 08:12:15 PM »
Should have gone out and brought in an experienced D of F, rather than taking the cheap option.

Not convinced by Garlick and assume JP just wanted a yes man in place.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
I think if Garlick is getting the blame for the supposed awful panic transfer window, Ashworth has to take some of the blame too.

By all accounts the system we use, we have players scouted for ages before they sign, and always have a list of players for each position, so i find it hard to believe we just decided transfer deadline day morning that we would go and spend a load of money on players we knew nothing about, i would imagine they would of been scouted and watched even though we as fans knew nothing about it.

I doubt when Garlick took over he had a blank A4 sheet of paper and told to get on with it, surely he would of had all the scouting reports, player profiles, etc from the years Ashworth had been with us so if signings do turn out to be poor, surely they both take the blame unless Garlick says it was all down to him and he just decided he wanted to buy Sessegnon and Anichebe spur of the moment, which would go against everything how we operate, and also its JP signing the cheques, he would make sure all research had been done!

Also didnt we only sign 3 x players on deadline day - Sessegnon, Anichebe and Amilfitano? We knew about Amilfitano for weeks before, i would think 75% of Albion fans would of been surprised but delighted we managed to get a player like Sessegnon, i think the only one who split opinion was Anichebe, so i dont think that sounds such a dreadful deadline day as some make out?

Also under Roy didnt we sign Keith Andrews and Liam Ridgewell on deadline day in the January and we have signed the odd player here and there in others on deadline days so its not the big drama its been made out.

Whether the signings turn out any good we shall wait and see but i think because we dont go public with our negotiations people panic, when previous facts show us the club has done lots of research before any signings take place, just we dont know about it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:29:26 PM by Albion79 »

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 10:53:17 AM »
I think if Garlick is getting the blame for the supposed awful panic transfer window, Ashworth has to take some of the blame too.

By all accounts the system we use, we have players scouted for ages before they sign, and always have a list of players for each position, so i find it hard to believe we just decided transfer deadline day morning that we would go and spend a load of money on players we knew nothing about, i would imagine they would of been scouted and watched even though we as fans knew nothing about it.

I doubt when Garlick took over he had a blank A4 sheet of paper and told to get on with it, surely he would of had all the scouting reports, player profiles, etc from the years Ashworth had been with us so if signings do turn out to be poor, surely they both take the blame unless Garlick says it was all down to him and he just decided he wanted to buy Sessegnon and Anichebe spur of the moment, which would go against everything how we operate, and also its JP signing the cheques, he would make sure all research had been done!

Also didnt we only sign 3 x players on deadline day - Sessegnon, Anichebe and Amilfitano? We knew about Amilfitano for weeks before, i would think 75% of Albion fans would of been surprised but delighted we managed to get a player like Sessegnon, i think the only one who split opinion was Anichebe, so i dont think that sounds such a dreadful deadline day as some make out?

Also under Roy didnt we sign Keith Andrews and Liam Ridgewell on deadline day in the January and we have signed the odd player here and there in others on deadline days so its not the big drama its been made out.

Whether the signings turn out any good we shall wait and see but i think because we dont go public with our negotiations people panic, when previous facts show us the club has done lots of research before any signings take place, just we dont know about it.

Ashworth was leaving by the end of 2012 with a handover period. At no point under Ashworth did we ever do business so late on, its illogical to blame him. The problems stemmed from not wanting to spend anything, then we ended up overspending due to leaving things so late on and getting poor quality players for the money, what about that is Ashworth's fault? Garlick would have had lists but the club seemed to want everyone on loan or free's then panicked when they realised its impossible to do that constantly.

He's also had his second big test here in replacing Steve Clarke, and again messed it up. Over two weeks a go we choose to sack our manager at the busiest time of the season, and we aren't remotely close to replacing him. We've done OK in the interval, though 3 points from these 3 games is really the absolute minimum we had to get. Again, compare this to Ashworth where by sacking RDM on the sunday, Hodgson was appointed on the friday. There might not be as good a choice this time, but not to the point we're absolutely nowhere near an appointment.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2013, 11:32:51 AM »
None of us know who we have lined up, as history proves, we never do our business in public.

Before RDM it was meant to be Alan Irvine, that went on a few days and then within 24 hours RDM was confirmed, when RDM was sacked on the Sunday it was supposedly Chris Hughton, then on the Friday Morning we appointed Hodgson, when we appointed Clarke, it was supposed Rangnick for a week or so, then on the Wednesday night it emerged about Clarke and he was appointed on the Thursday, thats the way we do things, it doesnt mean they dont know what they are doing, i think past appointments and signings show they do, its frustrating for us as fans as we are not in the loop but doesnt mean nothing is happening.

As for signings, as stated, we have signed players on deadline days before - Ridgewell and Andrews spring to mind straight away. Out the deadline day signings we have made, would many Albion fans have turned down signing Sessegnon, Sunderlands best player the last few years? I doubt it, also Amilfitano has looked a good signing who has had a poor few games (like the entire squad) but overall, again i would think most people would say good signing, so far. Anichebe is the one who we could say hasnt really done anything yet, but to be fair he has been here 3-4 months so bit harsh to say whether he is any good or not yet. At the present time, probably 2 of the 3 deadline day signings would be deemed good, in time it may be that none of them turn out to be but we shall see.

Ashworth did a great job at the Albion, but lets not pretend he was perfect, there were some very iffy signings in his time, as there will be under Garlick i have no doubt. Also its well known we scout players for a long period of time so surely the players we have signed would of been scouted under Ashworths time as well as Garlicks? it appears people are looking for somebody to blame for our run of form in 2013.

Clarke got the boot, JP supposedly is tight, Garlick dont know what he is doing, how about we blame the players who for 12 x months have not performed to the level they had previously shown they could? and have gone through the motions for that period? Everybody else has took the blame, the players are the main ones, they have showed they are good enough before, now they have to again.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2014, 10:17:54 PM »
Just been listening to Pat Murphy on BBC Radio. Always thought he was a died in the wool Villa man, but he does seem to have his ear to the ground at the Albion.

What he was saying about the delay in the appointment, is that it would not have happened when Dan Ashworth was there. i.e. Ashworth was the type of guy who made things happen. It seems that Garlick is still very much on a steep learning curve. Although JP is the ultimate decision maker, he probably trusted  Ashworth to take the lead alot more. Ok everybody has to be given the chance to learn, but you wonder if someone with a legal training is quite the fit for the job. I don't want to underestimate the number of key tasks that the Technical Director has to take on board, but insight into football coaching ability must be right near the top of the list. I've never heard Garlick speak but I imagine he'd need to be someone with the self confidence to put his case over to JP and sound like he knows what he's talking about.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2014, 02:36:38 AM »
I think you are missing the point Albion79. The problem was not the players we bought in as such, all of them have their individual merits (Sessegnon is an exciting player who can unlock defences, Anichebe has spent his entire career at premier league level for a top club so must be good enough and even Diego Lugano has had an entire career at the very top level and as a back up isn't a bad option).

The problem is how the transfer window unfolded, as Dan has said. This is something Dan Ashworth can have no blame for as he was not here to make the decisions during the window. Think of it like a football match. You can do the planning before the game, but once the game starts, you then have to make a new set of decisions, reacting to what is happening on the pitch. The good manager makes substitutions and tactical changes that suit the problems that arise during the match. All of the planning before can be perfect, but you may still have to react to the changing landscape of the football game. This analogy can be put to the transfer window. The problem we had this summer may well not have been with the scouting, but it was with how we handled the window itself. We tried to phase ourselves and bring in the right players at the right prices. Then the season started and we realised some of the players we had signed were not going to work out for us. After the poor start, the club then panicked, bringing in about 5 players in the final 7 days with 4 in the final 24 hours, 2 of which broke our transfer record and certainly in the case of one of them looked to be a very knee jerk and poor decision.

Going on previous windows, we haven't had this problem as much, as we usually conclude our business in a sensible manner, however this time around it looked a lot different. The speed of it was misjudged and in my opinion, while we have built a side capable of staying up, we threw far too many forwards into the squad and failed to improve the defence, something that is starting to haunt us a little now. Now we can only guess as why these problems have occurred, but one big thing that has changed in the last year is the departure of Dan Ashworth and his replacement Richard Garlick tacking his place.

Our managerial search is now starting to raise eyebrows at a national level with it having taken already 3 weeks and counting and we are still seemingly unsure who we are going to pick. We interviewed one man on 3 occasions before realising there was one major sticking point and we seem to have interviewed many managers, whittling down short lists before opening it up again. Chris Lepkowski made an interesting remark 2 days ago on twitter, where he hinted there was some amount of problem with the decision making process:

"No Tom - more to the point I suspect the club haven't made their mind up. Lots of factions throwing names in. Not good"

I can't help but feel something has gone terribly wrong since Ashworth left. He wasn't a super scout and he didn't get everything right, but it cant be denied his time as technical director coincided with our most successful few years in the big money era. Since he left in the summer, it seems we have no leadership, the correct decisions are not being made quick enough and Jeremy Peace no longer seems to have 1 man he trusts in to make the decisions he was failing with up until he went down the directer of football route. We don't know the full reasons why things have started to change in the last year, and it could well be that the right people simply aren't listening to Garlick's opinions like they did Ashworths, but clearly since he has left things have taken a turn for the worse looking form the outside in.
Boing Boing

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2014, 01:11:47 PM »
The transfer window was an absolute joke. Not once under Ashworth did we end in a situation of having to do the core of our business even in the last week, so to put any blame on him for it happening entirely on deadline day is wrong.

That for the first time in ages we spent decent money, 11m, with big wages, and couldn't come up with better targets suggests a serious lack of organisation. I don't buy the excuse we couldn't get the players when with that money, similar sized clubs made very good signings.

I still can't comprehend how we got rid of Fortune and got Anichebe in for 6m, who's been an inferior version of him. Genuinely one of the worst bits of business by any club for years, taking into account club size. Even if it is 3.5m rising to 6m (which we'll probably end up paying the core of as we certainly won't be unloading him anytime soon) its still awful value. The perfect example of a panic buy. What with the 7 other strikers we have here we didn't even need him either.

Shane Long strike rate for seasons 2011/2012 and 2012/13 = 1 in every 3.68
Anichebe for same period often playing as a sub or out on a wing = 1 in every 3.42
For completion Fortunes was 1 in every 6.14.

People tend to include Anichebe's statistics from his numerous appearances as a teenager, substitute and being played out of position. So not so ludicrous bit of business but for whatever reason appears to have now reverted to how he was 3 or 4 seasons ago when he couldn't score.  The other problem with the Anichebe deal is his injury record.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »
Another point I should have made was one which occurred to me when he was first appointed. Dan Ashworth was a former football player whereas Garlick is a lawyer. Garlick did play at a youth level but he certainly does not know the game like other potential targets. This could negatively affect his judgement on players, how to modernise the club and make decisions on the youth system. Admittedly he has advisors and scouts but he needs the knowledge himself.

Typical example was when DA signed Yacob. Beforehand he went all the way to Argentina to watch him, bearing in mind Garlick is a lawyer and a man who does not know the system he probably would not make that extra visit. In essence he does not have the tools required to benefit the club unlike Dan Ashworth had. Andy Marriott in my opinion was the man for the job.

I really don't agree with the view that Garlick's lack of professional football experience makes him unqualified for the DOF role. If there were strong correlation between being a good footballer and a good manager/DOF then Bryan Robson would be at the top of the game rather than entirely out of it. Robson isn't the only one. Think Roy Keane, Tony Adams, Paul Ince, Graham Souness, Brian Kidd, Ruud Gullit, Maradonna, Alan Shearer. You can even chuck Ossie Ardilles on that list! All had glittering careers filled with trophies but all failed entirely as managers. Now think of the likes of Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho who never played at any decent level. You could even make the argument that Sir Alex only scored goals in a very minor league.  The skills required to kick a ball aren't the same as those to run a football team or club any more than the skills required in breaking up a pub fight qualify you to run a police station.

In my own case, I have built a worldwide polo business whilst being allergic to horses. I have chaired a yoga business despite being unfit. I have run a bank without ever served on the tills or driven the cash vans. Please don't take this as boasting- I'm just making the point that you can be successful at something which you have never actually done at the shop-floor level. 

As further proof, take a look at Bill James. He is the subject of the book/film Moneyball. Time magazine nominated him as one of the 100 most influential people in the WORLD. Not in baseball. Not in sport.  One of the 100 most influential people in the entire WORLD. That is how big an effect he had on baseball. He had never played baseball at any level above school level and wasn't even very good at school. He is fat, worked in a baked bean factory and yet his disciplined approach to baseball revolutionised it and made the two teams he advised wildly successful.

I don't know Richard Garlick and have no idea whether he is the right man for the job. He might or might not make us more successful. However, his lack of actual ball kicking experience is not necessarily a reason for failure. If he has an understanding of player values, the way transfer markets function, is a good negotiator (although I don't know how much of this is RG or JP), has a thorough eye for detail, brings discipline, process, organisation etc to the chaotic world of football (and believe me, even the biggest football clubs are guilty of this as I've heard first hand from friends with big jobs in clubs, The FA and The Football League) then he has every chance of being successful.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2014, 01:24:56 PM »
Shane Long strike rate for seasons 2011/2012 and 2012/13 = 1 in every 3.68
Anichebe for same period often playing as a sub or out on a wing = 1 in every 3.42
For completion Fortunes was 1 in every 6.14.

People tend to include Anichebe's statistics from his numerous appearances as a teenager, substitute and being played out of position. So not so ludicrous bit of business but for whatever reason appears to have now reverted to how he was 3 or 4 seasons ago when he couldn't score.  The other problem with the Anichebe deal is his injury record.

You should of course mention that Anichebe's stats are heavily influenced by the fact he scored 5 in 11/12 and only played 12 games. Which is more of a freak occurence, much like Mulumbu got 8 goals for us one season but it'd be stupid to call him a goalscoring midfielder based on that. The best measure of things is that we'll get our money back on Long should we sell him this month, at the moment, and in the future, we'll be lucky to get a 1/3 of what we paid for Anichebe. If he continues like he has he'll just end up released, guy can't even make the squad when he's fit.

And of course his general hold up play and linking up with the rest of the team has so far looked nowhere near as good as Fortune did.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:31:37 PM by Dan »

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
Garlick as had nothing to do with this head coach appointment so try and give him a small break he may be the spokesperson but don't shoot the mesenger as they say

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2014, 01:27:54 PM »
for Anichebe = fortune, but with a lot more prem experience, higher goal ratio , better all round input and younger.

for Garlick = taken over from someone who was relatively successful but will need time to bed in and is ok so far , bit like fergie who nearly got the sack?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »
Lets see how this week and the season pan out before jumping to hasty judgements eh!
Baggie in Southampton

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »
I think its all about opinions, i have no affiliation to Garlick and have no idea whether his appointment will turn out any good or not but i do think he seems to be getting the blame for most things at the moment which is unfair.

Transfer wise, i think we signed 8 players during the summer, only 3 of which were deadline day, 4 were in within plenty of time, the 1 we appeared to haggle over a lot was Sinclair and judging at the moment, it seems a wise thing we didnt buy him outright (he may come good)

The only buy personally i would say may of been a bit panicky was Anichebe, Sessegnon was a key Sunderland player til a few days before the deadline when he got done for Drink Driving and Di Canio slated him, he became available, it was a position we needed and we got him, i think thats good business sense, to be fair he hasnt quite got going yet, but he has the potential to be a key player for us. Anichebe IF fit could be a key player but his history is against him a bit, i would say he is the one who could end up being the let down but lets see.

Panic buying to me would be signing 5 or 6 players deadline day with no real purpose, our signings - Sessegnon is a tricky creative attacking midfielder, we needed one, Anichebe is a target man, we needed one, Amilfitano a right midfielder, we needed one. I would rather us wait and get a good price than buy somebody for the sake of it, or pay over the odds, we may of enquired about Sessegnon in July, told 12m which we wont do, he has a few drinks and upsets Di Canio and all of a sudden he is there for 6m. Our start to the season, Everton was a very creditable draw, Southampton was disappointing and Swansea was awful, but with the players we had available before deadline day signings, we should of done better and i blame the players and coach for those results, Swansea especially where we didnt even compete.

We have signed players after the season has started before (Odemwingie been perhaps the main one) and if its the best deal for us then i am sure we will again, Ashworth did a great job as i think he put the current setup in place, it will be very unlikely Garlick will have such an impact, one of the main reasons being without significant investment, we cant progress as a club from where we are now.

People keep saying on paper this is the best squad we have had for 30 years, well 7-8 of those players were signed in the last summer window, so they cant of been that bad a signings, i would be questioning the coach and players themselves as much as JP and Garlick as to why they havent done better, if we were to go down then i think the whole thing would have to be reviewed, but if the season finished now, we would still be in the premier league which judging by our cup performances is our sole aim.

As for the manager search, whether it was a lucky gamble or an inspired appointment but getting Downing in temporary charge has resulted in an upturn in results and stopped the rot, it may be that we got lucky and its brought the board some time to get the 'right man' in, or it could be they knew what they were doing and knew Downing would be steady enabling them to not to have to appoint the first man available, there track record shows they usually get it right so i was say they knew what they were doing, i would rather us wait a month than appoint Terry Conner the day after Clarke gets sacked! Whether they get the appointment right remains to be seen but history shows us they usually dont let us down.

Our board will get things wrong but also i do think there is sometimes unnecessary panic, if it was the Blues or Pompey owners running the club then i could understand, but i think although its frustrating for us fans, our board havent let us down often in the past so they deserve the opportunity to do things there way.