Author Topic: shorey v cech  (Read 6453 times)

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

shorey v cech
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »
I thought cech had been one of the better players under the RDM era and thought it was harsh that he was to be dropped under the new manager but that is how football works.

the last 2 games shorey has made to massive mistakes! the OG at sunderland and not putting the ball out for a corner and passing it to drogba against chelsea!

I am unsure if he is any better than cech? views?
O Albion we love you

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

Re: shorey v cech
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »
Its a tough one, I think Shorey has been pretty solid for most of the games that he has played this season.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:06:46 PM »
Shorey everyday, Cech's more a left winger for me can't defend well but is great going forward, Shorey will give you a solid performance in each game.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 06:09:28 PM »
Shoreys made two big mistakes and his height is a major disadvantage in this league however at keeping posession he fits the team well and has good pace, Its shorey for me. I think its also fair to say Reid was poor saturday and made a few bad decisions when defending yet has looked solid all season.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »
Shorey for me. Cech is good but i just think shorey has that extra composure experience and know how that edges him in front
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »
Shorey overall is a much better defender than Cech. When he's played he's been solid apart from the O.G last week that if we're honest he can't do much about and the mistake on Saturday. I'd stick with him.

Have people forgotten his clearance against Arsenal already?

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:16:50 PM »
Shorey overall is a much better defender than Cech. When he's played he's been solid apart from the O.G last week that if we're honest he can't do much about and the mistake on Saturday. I'd stick with him.

Have people forgotten his clearance against Arsenal already?

Do you mean Liverpool?

They have replaced it with the one against Chelsea.  ;D

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:21:25 PM »
Shorey is a better defender although I admit the last couple of weeks don't really support that view so well, Cech is a strange one as he has had a few good performances but plenty of poor ones yet hasn't had a chance under the new gaffer with a more organised style of play. No need to worry though as I assume it wont take him long to do an interview for a newspaper or website to say how unhappy he is again and that he will leave if he can't break into the team as he usually seems to.

Yam Yam Baggie

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
Shorey by a country mile. Never Rated Cech. Poor.

Rich99

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
Shorey for me, though he has had a couple of bad games no doubt.

When Shorey was on loan at Fulham under Hodgson he spent a fair bit of time on the bench so I wouldn't be totally surprised to see a change as Roy's left Shorey out before.

If such poor form continues it's only fair Cech gets a go I feel.  However, I'd say overall Shorey is the better defender.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:16:46 PM »
I think we may see Konchesky here next season to challenge Shorey

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
I've said it before I'll say it again:

Down the left hand side, with Cech in the team, we gave away so many goal. Blackpool and Reading matches affirmed for me that he's not defensively good enough. Going forward he's pretty good, but if you look at the balls Shorey puts in from out wide, there's not much difference. Least if we don't score Shorey comes back to defend, Cech plays Attacking Mid for about 10 minutes after he goes forward.

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »
I really don't think there's that much between them. People say Cech is inconsistent but Shorey now has mistakes against Wigan, Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea to his name, that's a mistake every five games for him.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 10:19:21 PM »
Shorey has the edge for me. Yes he's made a couple of mistakes recently but I like his general air of confidence. He also always looks for a forward option the second he's involved in play.

Cech is great competition and would happily keep them both.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Ogwani

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 10:31:33 PM »
I think Céch edges him but realistically I think leftback is an area we could improve.

greggy8689

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 10:39:19 PM »
I think we may see Konchesky here next season to challenge Shorey

Hope not dislike that bloke, Shorey for me everytime. Cech is poor defensively

Perrybarrbaggy

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »
I have no doubt, Shorey is twice the defender Cech is

Vassassin

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »
Cech by a country mile is an overall better footballer than Shorey. Shorey could never aspire to do what Cole did to us on Saturday, with Cech at least he would try and give it a go. Shorey is a traditional hard nosed defender and can be relied upon to be in a defensive position most times, hence Brunt's lack of chasing back and closing down. With Cech in the team, Brunt's workrate has to be 50% more as Cech will go forward and need cover. Unfortunately Brunt and Cech in the same team is a luxury we can't afford at the moment.
Return our Parthenon Marbles, we're going nuts without them!

texisonfire

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 12:34:56 AM »
Prior to the last two games Shorey has been brilliant all season. Second best signing of the season behind Odemwingie for me! I don't understand how people cannot rate the guy or think Cech is better.

Yeah he's made a couple of mistakes recently, but all his top performances where he looks incredibly composed and hardly gives the ball away far outweigh that IMO. Let's be honest, we're not going to find a better left back anytime soon and if he never made mistakes he wouldn't be at West Brom.
There are two great teams in the Black Country. West Bromwich Albion and West Bromwich Albion reserves.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 12:36:23 AM »
cech for home games to attack and support JT
Shorey for away day solidness

no manager has ever done that much tinkering not even Ranieri in his chelsea hay days
O Albion we love you

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »
Shorey for me. Was a little out of his depth on Saturdaym but so were a few others.
Always looks more likely to get the interception than Cech.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »
Cech is a liability and not good enough, how can you say he was good under RDM.He will be gone as soon as.
A couple of in different games for Shorey and hes under scrutiny already
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

albion05

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »
Nicky Shorey has my vote for player of the season.

Nicky Shorey has my vote for signing of the season.

No contest.  A class act and very very little comes down our left hand side when he's in the team.

Just to mention a couple of mistakes.  Man Utd...he slipped over.  Saturday just gone, he had miliseconds to react to Carsons touch, I dont think theres a fat lot he could ahve done to be honest, he just tried to get something on to stop the player he was marking getting a tap in.

Sunderland away.....great finish  ;D

RuncornBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
I think Céch edges him but realistically I think leftback is an area we could improve.

Is this for real or are you joking?  In what way shape or form does Cech edge Shorey?

Shorey is a lot better player than Cech, as a left back anyway.  I think that Cech will go in the summer although he could be used as cover for JT!!  I am being serious!!
Heyyyyyyy, Tim Sherwood, Oooh, Aahh, I wanna knowwww..........Why you're such a.............

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »
Rather have Nicky Shorey anyday of the week, I don't mind Cech but defensively he's a liability. Cech will one week give us an 8 out of 10 and then follow it up with a 4 out of 10. With Nicky Shorey you get that reliability of a 7 out of 10 each week.

Ok, he scored an own goal at Sunderland with El Mohammdy breathing down his neck but the size difference is also something to contest with. The pass to Drogba, well, everybodys allowed a mistake.

Overall, Shorey gives our defence that solidity which it doesn't get under Cech,
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom