Author Topic: "Improvements" to Europa League.  (Read 2766 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

"Improvements" to Europa League.
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »
Having heard the latest proposals to improve the Europa League by giving a Champions League place to the winners I have to say I feel it makes the tournament even more worthless as a stand alone tournament.  Giving the winners a champions league qualifying round place just seems to make the Champions league seem more important.

The easiest way to make the Europa league a tournament that teams would want to win would be to make The Champions league like the old European Cup where ONLY the league winners competed in it. Therefore meaning more better quality teams would be in the Europa League. Eg this season would have had Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs (Chelsea as winners would still compete in Champions League), Newcastle, Liverpool as well as Bayern Munich, Shalke, Stuttgart, BM Gladbach, Barcelona, Valencia, At Madrid, malaga,Lille, Lyon, PSG, Benfica, Sorting, Braga, PSV,  Feyenoord, AZ Alkmaar and then teams from Crotia, Scotlans etc. 
Don't know about you but that looks a better tournament to me. It would be even better if it went to straight knock out rounds with no seeding so anyone could play anyone.

What do others think?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

Re: "Improvements" to Europa League.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
I think your spot on mate, but in todays commercially driven environment of football it would never happen.

The way you suggest would be very good commercially for the lesser countries in Europe in effect you could have the champions of Malta v Champions of Spain/Germany or England which would bring massive revenues into sides like in those leagues in Europe that currently only get to the qualifying rounds.

But I dont hold my breath.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:48:15 AM by Dudleylad »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:29:44 PM »
1st and 2nd champs league 3rd and 4th play off to go in
loser of play off and fa cup winner  and league highest scores europa league

this way their is something for everyone (even last match) all through the league, could even end up with dramatic 5-5 draws on the last day :D
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:48:15 PM »
I think giving a Champions League place to the winner is a great idea, as they will at least be a kind of 'champion', unlike Arsenal.

The competition will always be a dead duck though for so long as it allows Champions League losers to parachute in after the group stages.

MHB WBA

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 04:07:08 PM »
I think your spot on mate, but in todays commercially driven environment of football it would never happen.

The way you suggest would be very good commercially for the lesser countries in Europe in effect you could have the champions of Malta v Champions of Spain/Germany or England which would bring massive revenues into sides like in those leagues in Europe that currently only get to the qualifying rounds.

But I dont hold my breath.
Increasing he finacial gap betwee 1st and the rest.
Man u won by 11
Bayern m won by 25
Barca won by 15
Juventus 9
Psg 12
And celtic 16

Viewers also dont want to see teams like anderlect (Belgium) in the quarters
Pride of the midlands, we know what we are!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »
Change the name and remove the word Champions from the title of the competition. Change it to back to European Cup.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »
Change the name and remove the word Champions from the title of the competition. Change it to back to European Cup.

But it's official title was European Champions Cup...just that everyone called it european Cup.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »
Very true but time now to remove the Champions part from it as if a team is in there that isn't Champions of their country then its not a true title.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
Very true but time now to remove the Champions part from it as if a team is in there that isn't Champions of their country then its not a true title.

ah yes, sorry I misunderstood your original post!  it is ridiculous to call it a Champions League when only around 25% are actually Champions.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 01:06:08 PM »
Thing is with this champions league place most teams that win the Europa league finish in the champions league places in their leagues anyway , so really it isn't going to change anything.