Author Topic: What do you want changed?  (Read 8616 times)

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

What do you want changed?
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:41:38 PM »
Keeping things realistic, what would you like to see changed within the team when the new boss comes in?

Personally, I don't think there's any point in moaning about the owners/investment, as I can't see them going anywhere any time soon.

For me, the things I'd like to see changed are:

+ Bond being given the occasional league game in goal. GKs should always feel they are in a competition for the number 1 jersey.

+ Only using the passing out from goal kicks every so often, not as our first and only plan. Mix it up.

+ Players being played in their natural position, unless of injury/suspension. Stop setting players up to fail, especially the young players, who shouldn't be put in that situation.

+ Pressing the opposition when we don't have possession. We always sit back and invite pressure.

There's plenty more, but I think even by changing these areas of our game we could start turning performances around.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: What do you want changed?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:48:14 PM »
Livermore rested for the rest of the season, along with Bartley.

Dawson returning to something that resembles a defender

Gayle poaching not wasted on the wing

Allow Johnstone to be a goalkeeper not a sweeper

4-4-2 Phillips and Murphy as wingers

Morrison repaying his massive wages as a number 10 (Barnes role)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:52:56 PM by phbaggies »
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
Tempo. Up it. Everything we do is slow and if you're going to succeed playing that way you have to be technically head, shoulders and half a torso better than others.

Close teams down.

Stop retreating deep, conceding possession and inviting pressure. Every time we score first at home we do this. Look at our home record. Stop it, continue on the front foot.

Play players in their proper position especially kids. Earlier in the season it was Sam Field at centre back now it's Tosin Araradioyo left back at Leeds FFS, stupid.

As for for messing around at the back don't get me started.

Stop doing stupid things like Johnstone taking a free kick on the half way line on Saturday just to pass the ball five yards sideways. WHY? What the hell is the point? Again, stupid.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
Bond as first choice keeper.

Give more of an increasing role (sensibly) to Morgan Rogers, Kyle Edwards and Rayhaan Tulloch.

Encourage wingers/wing-backs to get to the bye-line whenever possible before crossing....aimless punts into the penalty area from oblique angles are food and drink for opposition defenders.

Drop Livermore.

Encourage midfield players to instantly move forwards with the ball at pace the moment they receive it.

OK, so all a bit risk-taking maybe...but I'm thinking long-term, and about how I grew up watching us play  (early 70's onwards).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:23:53 PM by miggybaggy »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 02:32:57 PM »
............Stop doing stupid things like Johnstone taking a free kick on the half way line on Saturday just to pass the ball five yards sideways...........

I'm still trying to get my head around that one, it's gone now so I best let it go really  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »
I'm still trying to get my head around that one, it's gone now so I best let it go really  ;D .

You could understand it if it was a one off, but we have constantly been doing these stupid things all season.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »
Number 1.  Play Gayle through the centre
Number 2.  Play Tosin at CH NEVER at fullback.
Number 3.  Thank CBrunt / JMorrison / GBarry / WHoolahan / KBartley / HRKanu / BMyhill (is Mears still around? If yes add him) for their services and wish them well in the future.
Number 4.  Tell Craig Dawson / J.Livermore and J Rodriguez that any acceptable offer will be considered VERY seriously
Number 5.  Tell A. Hegazi / K.Gibbs / M.Phillips that they are key to the future of the club and we want to build a young, dynamic side around them
Number 6.  Ask Everton if we can sign M.Holgate to add to the others in Number 5.
Number 7.  Tell Gayle / Montero / Murphy / Johansen that there may be a role for them, but we are taking into account age (DG) / fitness / attitude etc into account and if not exemplary we will not pursue any loan extension / contract negotiations
Number 8.  Tell ALL the kids that they have a chance to grab a place and a career next season, its all in their hands

I think that will do for now.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:23:31 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

lindenbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:17:51 PM »
It would be nice to see them fitter, so we could play for ninety odd minutes instead of forty five. Our fitness levels compared to many sides has at times been shocking. We could then move on to just passing the ball to someone with the same coloured shirt.

Having said that, couldn't we have said the same for the last 3-5 seasons?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
Players able to pass to their OWN team mates, and the same with throw ins.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 03:44:04 PM »
Sell Livermore.  The end.
"This crack is really moreish."

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 04:09:18 PM »
A new midfield. Harper is good enough to build it around, Phillips is decent when fit, the rest I would replace. Moore has tried pretty much every combo possible and none have really succeeded long term, which suggests they just aren't good enough.
What Moore can be criticised for is not addressing this in the transfer windows but, anyone expecting the new guy to wave a magic wand over this slow, ageing, negative, injury prone mob, is in for a shock. IMO of course.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 05:13:10 PM »
1. Stop farting around with the ball at the back

...err, thats it.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »
Stop playing the ball out from the back with players who clearly can't hack in (new centre-halves required if we want to play this way going forward).

On a similar note, no more Adarabiyio at full-back.

Stop playing so many useless plodders in midfield. We can carry one of Barry or Livermore through a game, not both.

Somebody has to start working with Johnstone, and improving him. We've spent too much to cut our losses, but none of the keeper coaches seem to have improved him one bit from the start of the season.

More intensity in the team. They don't have to run around to no effect like a team of James McCleans, but they need to move the ball quicker and put pressure on the opposition when chasing the game at the very least.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
Number 1.  Play Gayle through the centre
Number 2.  Play Tosin at CH NEVER at fullback.
Number 3.  Thank CBrunt / JMorrison / GBarry / WHoolahan / KBartley / HRKanu / BMyhill (is Mears still around? If yes add him) for their services and wish them well in the future.
Number 4.  Tell Craig Dawson / J.Livermore and J Rodriguez that any acceptable offer will be considered VERY seriously
Number 5.  Tell A. Hegazi / K.Gibbs / M.Phillips that they are key to the future of the club and we want to build a young, dynamic side around them
Number 6.  Ask Everton if we can sign M.Holgate to add to the others in Number 5.
Number 7.  Tell Gayle / Montero / Murphy / Johansen that there may be a role for them, but we are taking into account age (DG) / fitness / attitude etc into account and if not exemplary we will not pursue any loan extension / contract negotiations
Number 8.  Tell ALL the kids that they have a chance to grab a place and a career next season, its all in their hands

I think that will do for now.
Sounds pretty good to me mate
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 08:25:15 PM »
Short term
Replace Johnstone with bond
Play 4-5-1 , we have some very good midfielders but they are good at very specific things, playing with 3 in there has left us exposed, so a five of
Montero/Phillips HARPER Barry/Livermore JOHANSEN Murphy/leko
Should be able to out play anybody in this division,
Gayle starts but always then have JRod/HRK to come on.....which again we haven't really had options
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 11:05:24 PM »
This is going to unpopular but

1. Go 1 up top and that should not be Gayle
2. Get Brunt back on the pitch ideally wide right
3. Go with a  central midfield 3 of Field Harper and Johansen not convinced by it even as I type it but I don't think I can watch Livermore again. 
4 Play one of Murphy or Phillips but not both.

I know everyone hates playing out from the back but at some point we have to get the ball down and pass it bear in mind WE DO NOT HAVE A TARGETMAN.

Longer term well that completely depends on where we end up I will post thoughts on that when the season ends.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 11:34:52 PM »
This is going to unpopular but

1. Go 1 up top and that should not be Gayle
2. Get Brunt back on the pitch ideally wide right
3. Go with a  central midfield 3 of Field Harper and Johansen not convinced by it even as I type it but I don't think I can watch Livermore again. 
4 Play one of Murphy or Phillips but not both.

I know everyone hates playing out from the back but at some point we have to get the ball down and pass it bear in mind WE DO NOT HAVE A TARGETMAN.

Longer term well that completely depends on where we end up I will post thoughts on that when the season ends.

Wrong, I've no problems at all with playing it out from the back.

I've got huge problems with doing it when it's not on or there's no real point to it though.

Huge difference which I think many others have echoed.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 01:23:01 AM »
Wrong, I've no problems at all with playing it out from the back.

I've got huge problems with doing it when it's not on or there's no real point to it though.

Huge difference which I think many others have echoed.

Yep, same here. Nothing wrong with playing out from the back at the right times.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »
Play out from the back sometimes, every time just makes us predictable and easy to close down.

A simple pass sometimes helps us keep possession when no other pass is on...don't just lump it forward aimlessly

Look at the player you are passing it to.

Pass AND MOVE.

Press the opposition players when they have the ball, close them down quicker too.

Face the ball when the opposition are taking a goal kick or throw in..... and when we have a throw in as we might want to take a quick one.

Midfield to look to move play forward quickly.

Utilise the bench to change a game.

Look to the left and spot the acres of space that Gibbs/Townsend have and utilise it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32:12 AM »
Just play to the players strengths, don't ask them to do things they can't do and play them in their best positions.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 10:45:06 AM »
Just play to the players strengths, don't ask them to do things they can't do and play them in their best positions.

WHAT that makes far to much sense.
I want 100 lines of you by tomorrow saying
" I must not make sense when picking my team".  ;)

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 12:04:19 PM »
I want a confident keeper who can make decisions in the penalty area about everything he is involved in - distribution, when to come for a ball, organising defence.
I want defenders who can actually defend, put their bodies on the line and keep clean sheets.
I want creative midfielders who are looking to unlock defences and make the crucial pass as well as moving the ball quickly and upping the pace of the game.
I want strikers who look like they are going to score and will at least hit the target whenever they shoot.

I want a manger who can deliver all this
I want a Board of Directors who can back the manager to deliver all this.
I want coaches to bring on the young players so they are part of the first team

I also want the Premier League to fold and the so called super rich to clear off and give us football back.

All a dream I know but I would at least 5 out of those 8 points because I think the rest could then fall into place.

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »
bring in a new manager ,show belief in what he wants to do ,play football ,show some fight ,win ,win and win some more ,and carry that confidence  into the play offs .if only it was that simple

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 02:33:55 PM »
maybe Lai could visit the players, there's a story doing the rounds in Cardiff that their owner, Vincent Tan, jetted in for a game, saw them losing 2-0 at half time and demanded to do the half time team talk.

"Who is centre- forward!?"

A hand goes up.

You!! Centre forward, score more goals!!"

Gotta be worth a try.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »
I have given up in disgust. Nothing will change until we are rid of Lai.

LAI OUT!