Author Topic: Kamil Grosicki  (Read 136245 times)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Re: Kamil Grosicki
« Reply #750 on: January 11, 2021, 04:10:40 PM »
Look at the Liverpool's Man City's when they are attacking. Never mind just them, look at most Prem League teams. You see 6 or 7 players within TV screenshot in and around the opposition penalty box. Sometimes more. That's how they put defences under sustained pressure. They have to get back down the pitch too. Why is it they can do it, but we can't, or won't? We have to learn to defend without needing to keep 8 or 9 players permanently in our own half.

Couple of things...

If you sit really deep, you've got to cover a lot more ground to get forward, and while you're trying your options are limited.  Any balls cleared just come back at you.

When you do have the ball you have to pass it forward through midfield and keep possession.  No point smashing it forward then expecting 6 or 7 players to chase it down.

For me, if you look at the last few Prem games, look where our actual back 4 sit - sometimes they're on a line across the penalty spot and the midfield are on the edge of the box.  It's just too deep and makes keeping possession and getting forward next to impossible.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #751 on: January 11, 2021, 04:20:59 PM »
He just needs to give it a go sometimes, cut in and let fly, like he does for Poland.
I think with Gallagher and Pereira it's confidence as both of their shooting has been pretty gash, with both ballooning chances. With Krovinovic it's just poor technique, he had two shots from distance that went straight at the keeper and also ballooned his best chance. Livermore just does not venture forward as that would put him in a position of responsibility, which he prefers to leave to others.
As for Sawyers, I think we are as likely to see him in either box as we are Lord Lucan riding through Great Bridge market on the back of Shergar.
I think your post sums up alot of the problems we have scoring. Reading that its not surprising. We cannot afford the luxury of not one, but two midfielders unwilling or unable to make forward runs. So its a massive responsibility onto Gallagher and Pereira (and Krov when he's on the pitch). If Livermore or Sawyers are not able to deliver on that, then at least one is surplus to requirements. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #752 on: January 12, 2021, 01:23:59 PM »
He just needs to give it a go sometimes, cut in and let fly, like he does for Poland.
I think with Gallagher and Pereira it's confidence as both of their shooting has been pretty gash, with both ballooning chances. With Krovinovic it's just poor technique, he had two shots from distance that went straight at the keeper and also ballooned his best chance. Livermore just does not venture forward as that would put him in a position of responsibility, which he prefers to leave to others.
As for Sawyers, I think we are as likely to see him in either box as we are Lord Lucan riding through Great Bridge market on the back of Shergar.

I note that you do not mention Gallagher's misses both on Saturday and in previous games. But both him and Krov are at least are getting into a position to have a go. I disagree it is any lack of technique, and suggest that it is more a lack of confidence, or trying too hard to make sure. Krov for instance managed to make himself a couple of shooting opportunities and had 2 reasonable efforts saved, he then tried to leather the next one and put it high over the bar. but at least he played a part in making 3 opportunities possible and had a go, he took on the responsibility. As has Gallagher, even though he missed a couple of very good chances, at least he was on the spot took the ball in and had a go. I would never criticise players for this, even Livermore sometimes takes on responsibility. There are others who regularly make the 'safe' pass rather than take the risk of getting  goal. These should be criticised and probably only played if no other available. Unfortunately Grosicki  is beginning to fall into the second category for us but is still firmly and successfully in the first 'have a go' category for Poland.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:26:52 PM by wodenson46 »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #753 on: January 13, 2021, 02:20:33 PM »
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/grosicki-west-brom-nottingham-forest-19616738

Here's some good news. Grosicki apparently wants to stay and fight for a place with us. A report from Poland says he will definitely not move to Notts Forest this window.  With Diangana struggling to find his form we badly need an in form winger who will stretch defences and hopefully set up more chances.  If he knuckles down, Grosicki could be as good as any other new addition.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #754 on: January 13, 2021, 02:44:21 PM »
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/grosicki-west-brom-nottingham-forest-19616738

Here's some good news. Grosicki apparently wants to stay and fight for a place with us. A report from Poland says he will definitely not move to Notts Forest this window.  With Diangana struggling to find his form we badly need an in form winger who will stretch defences and hopefully set up more chances.  If he knuckles down, Grosicki could be as good as any other new addition.

That link suggests he may be in for an appearance related pay increase, if correct then I wonder if we have another explanation for his lack of involvement over the season thus far.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #755 on: January 13, 2021, 02:48:26 PM »
Keep him and pay an extra 5k a week which with around 25 weeks left would be 125k to keep him.

If we dont want him try and move him on but if he refuses to play ball we pay him around 35k pw to let him rot.

Fantastic contracts Dowlings giving out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:06:06 PM by gazberg »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #756 on: January 13, 2021, 03:01:04 PM »
Keep him and pay an extra 5k a week which with around 25 weeks left would be £1.25m to keep him.
£5k extra per week for 25 weeks is £125k! You may be including his original wage too, but we don't know what that is and we can't assume that another club would pay all of it if he was loaned out anyway.

Grosicki does offer something that others we have in his position don't - directness, electric pace and awareness, so it's very clear in my mind that he should be kept here and be on the pitch much more regularly than has been the case so far. It's not like anyone who's been playing still deserves to keep their place over him.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #757 on: January 13, 2021, 03:05:51 PM »
£5k extra per week for 25 weeks is £125k! You may be including his original wage too, but we don't know what that is and we can't assume that another club would pay all of it if he was loaned out anyway.

Grosicki does offer something that others we have in his position don't - directness, electric pace and awareness, so it's very clear in my mind that he should be kept here and be on the pitch much more regularly than has been the case so far. It's not like anyone who's been playing still deserves to keep their place over him.

Sorry absolutely right! I will amend my post, thanks for bringing my awful maths to attention

I'd like him to stay as you say he brings something different but if he's not going to play whats the pioint.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #758 on: January 13, 2021, 04:30:48 PM »
Sorry absolutely right! I will amend my post, thanks for bringing my awful maths to attention..........

Did you study at the Ridsdale School of Economics by any chance  ;D ?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #759 on: January 13, 2021, 04:31:51 PM »
Did you study at the Ridsdale School of Economics by any chance  ;D ?

Hard to believe but i used to be good at maths   :P  Anyway if anyone needs any accounting done for them drop me a PM  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 04:51:09 PM by gazberg »

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
I really hope Sam can see what Grosicki can offer; while I did love Bilic I felt he really missed a trick in freezing out Kamil and I think he can inject some of that pace we need.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #761 on: January 19, 2021, 08:13:03 PM »
Saw both sides Tonight , looked dangerous and links up with Pereira well but the other way he was a liablity defending.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #762 on: January 19, 2021, 08:14:21 PM »
Saw both sides Tonight , looked dangerous and links up with Pereira well but the other way he was a liablity defending.

Yep, great going forward but at Sawyers level off the ball.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #763 on: January 20, 2021, 05:51:29 AM »
Definitely has something and far more effective than Phillips for example. However he needs to get some shots off. He had a chance tonight and then cut back and held it up to square to periera to blast over
O Albion we love you

oldhill baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #764 on: January 20, 2021, 09:21:49 AM »
I was impressed with Kamil - he was one of our most effective players.

If we replace Livermore or Sawyers or preferably both I believe we'll be much more competitive and it would provide a glimmer of hope of staying up.

Boing Boing!!!
Baggie forever!!!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #765 on: January 20, 2021, 10:01:56 AM »
I would like to see him switched to the right occasionally, He is the focal point of our transition but is often on his wrong foot so has to either cut inside or wait for our "Last of the Summer Wine" midfield to catch up. If he was on his right foot or more central, I think he would get goals on the break because we know the lad can finish.

Worrying that he's been subbed 2 games in a row despite playing well. Makes me wonder whether his re-introduction may be short lived, especially when Phillips is fit  ::)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #766 on: January 20, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »
I would like to see him switched to the right occasionally, He is the focal point of our transition but is often on his wrong foot so has to either cut inside or wait for our "Last of the Summer Wine" midfield to catch up. If he was on his right foot or more central, I think he would get goals on the break because we know the lad can finish.

Worrying that he's been subbed 2 games in a row despite playing well. Makes me wonder whether his re-introduction may be short lived, especially when Phillips is fit  ::)

I think your concerns are well founded. Many saying Sam has given him a chance, why didn't Bilic? But its not lost on me that Sam was happy to release him to Forest 7 days ago, only for the player to refuse the deal.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #767 on: January 20, 2021, 01:32:02 PM »
I think your concerns are well founded. Many saying Sam has given him a chance, why didn't Bilic? But its not lost on me that Sam was happy to release him to Forest 7 days ago, only for the player to refuse the deal.

I think he's got a chance due to the lack of options with Phillips suffering with COVID and Robinson having to cover upfront due to injuries.

Had Phillips been fit and available then Grosicki is on his way out, in my view.

I think with the return of Phillips and Grant and the addition of a new forward, his game time will be limited again.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #768 on: January 21, 2021, 02:19:23 AM »
A quality player who has shown in the last 2 games what he can do attacking wise . No brainer for me that he keeps his place even when others have returned from injury . No coincidence that we’ve looked far better as an attacking force since Kamil came in .

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #769 on: January 21, 2021, 06:22:05 PM »
Agreed, he has to start every time for me. The reintroduction of Kamil as well as Matteus 'switching back on' together with the addition of Snodgrass has given me some faint hope going forward.

I have to say once again, never understood why Slaven dropped KG....
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #770 on: January 21, 2021, 06:52:14 PM »
Agreed, he has to start every time for me. The reintroduction of Kamil as well as Matteus 'switching back on' together with the addition of Snodgrass has given me some faint hope going forward.

I have to say once again, never understood why Slaven dropped KG....

Don't think he was particularly keen on him coming to begin with.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #771 on: January 21, 2021, 08:00:16 PM »
Happy with him starting but wish he had a left foot.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #772 on: January 21, 2021, 10:33:29 PM »
Happy with him starting but wish he had a left foot.
I’m surprised he’s made it this far with only one foot. I blame recruitment.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #773 on: January 26, 2021, 07:20:24 PM »
Rumours circulating around Twitter an hour ago he will be let go and not in the squad tonight so some truth in them after all.perhaps

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #774 on: January 26, 2021, 07:24:07 PM »
I think he's got a chance due to the lack of options with Phillips suffering with COVID and Robinson having to cover upfront due to injuries.

Had Phillips been fit and available then Grosicki is on his way out, in my view.

I think with the return of Phillips and Grant and the addition of a new forward, his game time will be limited again.

I weren’t far wrong!

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom