Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2567440 times)

geoff

• WBA Coach

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #7625 on: May 16, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
I can see him staying. His stock has fallen and we'll probably hold out for silly money which won't be on offer. A big mistake not selling last summer.

IF he had gone to Spurs in that window who knows he could have been the missing piece in their jigsaw & gone on to win the league. So i think the opposite mukka well worth losing a bit of money just to f--k both him & them up.
p/s did not see his name on the eurolist  of Roy's either. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :P :P :P :P :P :P

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7626 on: May 17, 2016, 11:17:14 AM »
I think we were willing to sell but the buyer couldn't afford him

I agree. I think its easy to blame Peace for this in hindsight, but how many fans wanted us to sell him for £15 million last summer? From memory the majority wanted him to stay unless if we were offered silly money which we obviously weren't.

Its time for us to forget about the past transfer windows and try and get the best price we can for him now based on his current levels of ability/value.

If that is £12 million, then so be it. We can buy a very capable number 10 for that money if we spend wisely.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7627 on: May 21, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »
Another report of interest from stoke..

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7628 on: May 21, 2016, 08:25:34 PM »
Another report of interest from stoke..

That is where I expect him I to end up, I don't see Spurs being bothered now but Mark Hughes may be the one that gives us the money we would want for him. Hardly the massive step forward he was hoping for though.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7629 on: May 21, 2016, 10:35:36 PM »
That is where I expect him I to end up, I don't see Spurs being bothered now but Mark Hughes may be the one that gives us the money we would want for him. Hardly the massive step forward he was hoping for though.
Indeed. They've finished 9th for 3 seasons in a row. Whilst that's nothing to be laughed at - it's not the dizzy heights that he was originally aiming for.
In terms of career progression it probably means it's just as hard to get an England cap, just as hard to win a trophy etc. The money is probably similar in wages to what we'd offer.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7630 on: May 22, 2016, 01:34:02 AM »
Indeed. They've finished 9th for 3 seasons in a row. Whilst that's nothing to be laughed at - it's not the dizzy heights that he was originally aiming for.
In terms of career progression it probably means it's just as hard to get an England cap, just as hard to win a trophy etc. The money is probably similar in wages to what we'd offer.

Stoke are another one of those clubs looking to make it to that elusive next level that so many talk about but it's much easier said than done and they have spent a fair amount trying to get there.

I also think that while Hodgson is England manager he would struggle to get a cap anyway after working with him here when he was younger and not very well behaved. I think you are right that a move to Stoke does his England prospects no good at all but ultimately he only has himself to blame if he can't get a bigger club.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7631 on: May 22, 2016, 07:11:47 AM »
I don't believe Berahino will ever reach the heights he aspires to, he has effectively ruined his own career.
Baggie in Southampton

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7632 on: May 22, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
I think he set his career back 12 months. He needs to be super fit and hit the ground running at the start of next season ...which it sounds like is what Pulis has told him...whether with us or someone else.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7633 on: May 22, 2016, 08:13:27 AM »
I still think he'll be a regular premier league scorer for years with 10-15 goals regularly per season but won't be champions league quality, mainly due to attitude , work rate and all round ability to hold up the ball as a lone front man which is how many teams use strikers these days. His finishing is top class but the rest of his games is average on the whole.

However, he's still a good player who can score regularly at this level and one we should therefore look to get a good price for. Wherever he goes, I predict for a year or two , he'll look great then will go off the boil again as he'll get bored/ fall out / get ideas above his station at his next club and so on and so on until his career drifts away the the heights he could've reached.

He's an example of a few modern young players having been spoiled rotten by doting academies ! He should have had to clean a few first teamers boots along the way to learn some humility.

When you look at 14m for a 32 yr old Defoe, then Berahino is worth at least 20m overall as he has around 10 years of goals in him in the right team (not ours and certainly not whilst Pulis is in charge). Roberts and Leko could be even better in time considering they've broken through much younger and don't look out of place whereas Bera big balls was early 20s before breaking through.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7634 on: May 22, 2016, 09:15:56 AM »
Harry Kane scored 8 goals in 14 matches for the under 21s, at the same time Berahino scored 10 in 11 matches.
Kane has a season at Tottenham and sees his value soar and becomes a regular international. Berahino has a season at West Brom and (according to some) has his career written off. No wonder he is drunk off. The bloke is worth much more than some say on here, someone who is less emotional about it will recognise it and Peace will get his cash.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7635 on: May 22, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »
There is no disguising the fact that he's had a bad season. How much lasting harm this has done to his career is anyone's guess but I suspect he is more likely to move to a mid ranking club like Stoke than one that has genuine Champions League aspirations. Fortunately from the club's point of view mid ranking teams can stretch to £20m in fees but obviously it means that it isn't quite the windfall that it once was.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7636 on: May 22, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »
Wouldn't be too surprised to see him end up at Everton, bought by new manager Mark Hughes out of money from a Lukaku sale.

Equally, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him sign a new contract at the Albion.

All ifs buts and maybe's, I honestly don't think I'll be letting his situation ruin my summer though.

Bring on the sunshine.
 8).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7637 on: May 22, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »
The one thing that would genuinely surprise me would be him signing a new contract.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7638 on: May 22, 2016, 11:03:08 AM »
The one thing that would genuinely surprise me would be him signing a new contract.

On the face of it his only realistic options appear to be sideways, which is why it wouldn't surprise me to see him sign a new deal.

Work hard for a season on increased terms, put himself back in the window under a more favourable light regarding 'rejuvenated' player etc and make JP pay extra for the privilege.

As I say, all ifs but and maybe's but certainly no surprises for me.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7639 on: May 22, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »
My preference would be to see a lack of interest in him resulting in him signing an improved contract and getting his gead down. A move to a 442, or at least having Berahino closer to Rondon could work really well as Rondon always seems to me to be more effective with someone close to him.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7640 on: May 22, 2016, 03:39:25 PM »
I'd say Harry Kane knuckled down after his first breakthrough season and continued to prove how good he is. He was also rewarded with the captain's armband and seemed to relish the responsibility while continuing to lead the line effectively. Saido on the other hand sulked about after his great season last year and slipped down the pecking order because of it. Can you imagine him as our captain? Think he really shot himself in the foot after the summer when he really needed another good season to really prove he is as good as a lot of us think

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7641 on: May 22, 2016, 10:11:04 PM »
He needs to go just to clear the stale air here a bit, if he's moping around next year again it'll just drag everything down even more.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7642 on: May 22, 2016, 10:38:11 PM »
He will only be used here out wide or in midfield. Now it's not a bad thing if the other winger is a flyer and with Rondon they create a dynamic 3, in the current set up he doesn't look good.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7643 on: May 24, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »
Would a realistic option not be for him to sign a new contract but with a minimum fee release clause?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7644 on: May 24, 2016, 02:10:38 PM »
Would a realistic option not be for him to sign a new contract but with a minimum fee release clause?

I'd go for that BUT that would need to be all signed & tied up by the end of the month.
Same needs to be said about our manager.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7645 on: May 24, 2016, 02:53:45 PM »
cant wait for this thread to hit the bin
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7646 on: May 24, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »
cant wait for this thread to hit the bin

Same. I long for the day he is sold and he removes his stinking attitude from our club.

Still cannot believe the money we turned down for him in January.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7647 on: May 24, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »

I think that was a realistic option and possibly best case scenario for all involved once the move to Spurs fell through last summer. All he had to do was carry on into the new season in the same kind of form he finished last season in and he would have easily got him move and none of us would have had a bad word to say about him. Instead he's been stuck on the same wages, let his fitness get to an unacceptable level, reportedly turned up late for training on a regular basis and all of that stopped us from getting the fee we wanted for him. He didn't seem to realise what he had done until it was too late and he offered a feeble apology to supporters and was playing catch up for the second half of the season and the damage to his reputation within football will be very difficult for him to rebuild.

Although its possible for him to realise his full potential elsewhere I don't think he will now he's wasted a full season and given himself a poor reputation. I fear I will look back on his career with a sense of real disappointment, wondering what could have been from the first kid to break through the youth system in a generation if not longer and make a real impact at the top level. He should have been hero worshiped by us like Kane is at Spurs but most just want him out of the door now due to the issues he's caused knowing its probably the best option for everyone.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7648 on: May 25, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »
so hes now worth 7 million
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7649 on: May 25, 2016, 08:33:46 AM »
so hes now worth 7 million

He's worth what we will actually get for him, not some fabricated nonsense figure from the press.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......