Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2567440 times)

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #2900 on: July 10, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »
The agent is employed by the player not the other way around. The player is the one in chargep So if the agent was saying things that Saido didn't agree with then surely he would've corrected them? Which he didn't.

Saido is a young and inexperienced footballer.  Perhaps he isn't as arrogant as some make out since he is justified in his confidence as a striker but perhaps has listened too much to  people he assumed by their age/status knew more about the business side of things. Like all of us hopefully he is on a learning curve  :)
I never could kwite get the hang of spelling.

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2901 on: July 10, 2015, 10:00:56 PM »
Personally, I think Tony Pulis deserves credit in no short measure for the positive influence he is having on Saido.

I agree, I'd like to know how much influence Fletcher is having on him too as I feel he's only been a positive influence since joining.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2902 on: July 11, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »
I agree, I'd like to know how much influence Fletcher is having on him too as I feel he's only been a positive influence since joining.

Very true. I was re-watching the Chelsea home game and after Saido scores the penalty you can hear Fletcher say something like "Now you go for your hat trick, yeah? Get another"

Really good to see and hear him pushing Saido on
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2903 on: July 12, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »
I think fletcher has helped the lad along with pulis, he seems to have turned a corner and hopefully stays with us!
Maybe he knows the new owner has some cash!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:42:30 PM by MarkW »

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2904 on: July 12, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »
Joined the squad on tour...

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2905 on: July 15, 2015, 05:15:41 AM »
Albion are supposed to be renegotiating a new contract with him and it is believed to be worth £28k per week. He would get double that at a top six club.
OK, i don't believe any player is worth that, but my point is we have an exceptional young goal scorer, shouldn't wages be based on performance and contribution rather than age?
What is the point of bringing top player's through and academy then paying peanut's when they are in demand?
How much was Kevin Phillips on in a lower division?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2906 on: July 15, 2015, 06:10:45 AM »
Albion are supposed to be renegotiating a new contract with him and it is believed to be worth £28k per week. He would get double that at a top six club.
OK, i don't believe any player is worth that, but my point is we have an exceptional young goal scorer, shouldn't wages be based on performance and contribution rather than age?
What is the point of bringing top player's through and academy then paying peanut's when they are in demand?
How much was Kevin Phillips on in a lower division?

He would also probably spend double the amount of time sat on the bench at a top six club as well which wouldn't bode well for his international ambition.
With us he's getting game time and progressing, at a top six club he'd be a spectator apart from cup games. Ask Izzy Brown
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2907 on: July 15, 2015, 07:57:50 AM »
He would also probably spend double the amount of time sat on the bench at a top six club as well which wouldn't bode well for his international ambition.
With us he's getting game time and progressing, at a top six club he'd be a spectator apart from cup games. Ask Izzy Brown

It all comes down to Money v Ambition & 8 times out of 10 Money wins

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2908 on: July 15, 2015, 09:25:25 PM »
It all comes down to Money v Ambition & 8 times out of 10 Money wins

That is my point exactly. That's why Izzy went to Chelsea. We have a precocious young talent, who will one day go on to much better things.
I think offering him £28k is insulting when you probably think what Sterling and Kane are on.

Reward should be based on  contribution rather than what age you are. I understand that too much too young might send him off the rails, if that is the case then it will happen,either here or somewhere else, but a footballer has an average of 10 years at the top, injury could end his career at any moment, so you can understand why young lads want to make a fortune as quickly as possible.

If we paid him a proper wage structured in a way that pays him more per goals ratio, then we would have a better chance of keeping him longer.

Footballers want two things in life, game time and a good contract, if we could offer both to our top player's then we wouldn't lose so many.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2909 on: July 15, 2015, 10:00:08 PM »
I think 35k wouldn't be unreasonable given his contribution to the team.

However 28k a week will be his basic, lots more add ons to that which I'm sure will take him upto a decent wage.

Contracts should be performance based, play well, score goals and the rewards are there
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2910 on: July 16, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »
Hopefully he'll have a buy out clause of at least 30m maybe more?

stanthesetter

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2911 on: July 19, 2015, 09:11:56 AM »
papers are saying Spurs are moving in for him this week, opening offer of 15 million, we'll see .
"wear the collar luv, you know it makes sense".

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2912 on: July 19, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
I think 35k wouldn't be unreasonable given his contribution to the team.

However 28k a week will be his basic, lots more add ons to that which I'm sure will take him upto a decent wage.

Contracts should be performance based, play well, score goals and the rewards are there

I'm surprised you rate him at more than double what they are asking for Charlie Austin
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2913 on: July 19, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »
Need to hold on to him, or were in the poo

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2914 on: July 19, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »
next season will be the first with the new Prem deal with sky and bt so a buy out of 40 million plus wouldn't be reasonable

Berahino is yet to play in Europe and yet to play for England. £30millon would be too much at this stage.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2915 on: July 19, 2015, 11:13:34 AM »
Berahino is yet to play in Europe and yet to play for England. £30millon would be too much at this stage.

Whether he's played for England or not, at his age, with his passport and his goalscoring record at the evel he has been playing, £30mil may be on the steep side but certainly not unrealistic when you compare that fee to the reported 15 million QPR want for Austin who is older and has 1 year left on his contract. 

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2916 on: July 19, 2015, 11:32:05 AM »
The contract dynamics alone make Saido more valuable than Austin and even if we don't manage to extend his contract provided he has a half decent year he would be worth £15m in 12 months time, particularly if you bear in mind that because of his age we would get some compensation at the end of his contract even if he runs it down.  Based on the sort of figures being mentioned in respect of Ings he would not be worth anything less than £6m.

So £15m is way short and turning it down will be easiest decision anyone at the club will make this summer. It has to be north of £20m to even be worth contemplating and something in the region of £30m to make it tempting 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2917 on: July 19, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »

Man Utd payed that much for Luke Shaw and nobody batted an eyelid.

Young English goal scorer who MIGHT be very good in a few years. It will take big money for anyone to find out....

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2918 on: July 19, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »
As much as I rate him perhaps we will have to sell him to finance New signings. We can‘t compete in the market otherwise.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2919 on: July 19, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »
As much as I rate him perhaps we will have to sell him to finance New signings. We can‘t compete in the market otherwise.
We won't be competing in games if we sell him.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2920 on: July 19, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »
We won't be competing in games if we sell him.

If selling him enabled us to bring in say Austin and Phillips with the money it would be a risk worth taking. He is inevitably going to leave us at some point.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2921 on: July 19, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
If selling him enabled us to bring in say Austin and Phillips with the money it would be a risk worth taking. He is inevitably going to leave us at some point.

Double edge sword though, what happens if he goes out there and smashes 25 league goals next season, all of a sudden were looking at £40 million for him. Unless someone comes in with a offer we can't turn down then we should be looking to keep him.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2922 on: July 19, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »
Double edge sword though, what happens if he goes out there and smashes 25 league goals next season, all of a sudden were looking at £40 million for him. Unless someone comes in with a offer we can't turn down then we should be looking to keep him.

No one will score 25 goals in a Pulis team and I'm pro-TP, just the way it is.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2923 on: July 19, 2015, 09:53:55 PM »
If we do sell him I hope it doesn't drag on too long and I hope we don't accept 15 million.

We have no need to sell him at the moment so it would take a good bid to make it worth it, and the fact he is home grown pushes his price above 20 million.

If they offer 25 million I understand that we cannot say no, but it needs to be in the sort of range.
Boing Boing

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2924 on: July 20, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »

No i disagree, with them two in our team less Saido i see us a weaker team. Austin is a finisher not a goal scorer.
With the standard of strikers that are available over the world that fall into our price bracket its imperative we keep Saido