Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2535199 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #850 on: October 02, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
As Roy has only picked 3 strikers i suspect Saido may be promoted to the senior squad if any of them get injured this weekend or during the first of the internationals.
I wouldn't bank on it after Hodgson's ridiculous statement today regarding why he chose Lambert over Saido! Ramblings of a mad man, could not possibly have been pre thought out, it makes no sense.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #851 on: October 02, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »
I can see Arsenal coming in for him quite soon, he's their kind of player.
He probably get his England cap on signing for Arsenal then before playing a game for them.

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #852 on: October 02, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »
Berahino's going to learn a lot more in the Croatia games, than even 90 mins in a 4-5-6-7 poss 8-0 shots in exercise v San Marino.
In fact every eligible U21 player should be in the U21 squad, Stirling et al.

True, but he would also learn a lot more training with the full squad for a week than he would playing a U21 game.

If he turns out to be the player we hope he can we are going to lose him at some point anyway, and even if it is against teams like San Marino if he had a record of 3 goals in 5 games for the senior England side his value would be north of £20m.

Apart from anything it would just be nice to see an Albion player score and play for England.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #853 on: October 02, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »
Don’t understand the clamour from our own fans to get him into the England squad, sure it’s nice to see one of our players being recognised but Berahino is still only 21, let him develop and build some consistency in his game without the pressures of being an England international.   We all know his ego can become a touch out of whack and we also know that his performances fizzled out badly last season, with these factors in mind let him go about his business quietly without throwing him into the pressure cooker that is the national squad solely on the back of some early season form.
"This crack is really moreish."

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #854 on: October 02, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
Don’t understand the clamour from our own fans to get him into the England squad, sure it’s nice to see one of our players being recognised but Berahino is still only 21, let him develop and build some consistency in his game without the pressures of being an England international.   We all know his ego can become a touch out of whack and we also know that his performances fizzled out badly last season, with these factors in mind let him go about his business quietly without throwing him into the pressure cooker that is the national squad solely on the back of some early season form.

Not withstanding Hodgson's gibberish I tend to agree with this.

Along with the clamour for Daws to be picked it is premature to talk about Saido being an England player. He had a good start last year and became very average. He's had a good start this year but does need to maintain it.

As for Hodgson, wouldn't it have been better for him to just say "the lad's good, but not ready yet", or even "the U21s need him more"?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:14:48 PM by Chipperfan »
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #855 on: October 02, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »
Not withstanding Hodgson's gibberish I tend to agree with this.

Along with the clamour for Daws to be picked it is premature to talk about Saido being an England player. He had a good start last year and became very average. He's had a good start this year but does need to maintain it.

As for Hidgson, wouldn't it have been better for him to just say "the lad's good, but not ready yet", or even "the U21s need him more"?
In a nutshell!
Saido should be allowed to develop and improve without the pressure of being a full international and Hodgson could have said as much, instead he trots out this inane drivel. I am both angry and bemused and I hope Saido and the boys are too, perfect prep for Saturday.
As someone said earlier, stick Hodgson' s nonsense on the dressing room wall.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #856 on: October 02, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
Where is this Hodgson quote? I haven't heard or read him say anything of the sort.
the regime don't like it man

MHB WBA

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #857 on: October 02, 2014, 08:18:17 PM »
Anyone going to the u21 game at the custard bowl
Pride of the midlands, we know what we are!

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #858 on: October 03, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »
If it wasn't at stupid o'clock I would have gone.

If it wasn't for the U-21 game being an important play off then I feel Berahino would have been in the England squad.
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

freddy73

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #859 on: October 03, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »
"True, but he would also learn a lot more training with the full squad for a week than he would playing a U21 game.

If he turns out to be the player we hope he can we are going to lose him at some point anyway, and even if it is against teams like San Marino if he had a record of 3 goals in 5 games for the senior England side his value would be north of £20m.

Apart from anything it would just be nice to see an Albion player score and play for England"

I'm going to have to disagree with you Astle1968.
I cannot poss see how training with the full squad is going to be of more long term benefit to Berahino (not necessarily us & his transfer value I agree), than playing 2 high pressure U21 games. Now if the U21 games were also against poor opposition, then you may have a point.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #860 on: October 03, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »
Can see a few teams stiffing around this young man come January especially if his banging In the goals. Peace should put out a statement that he's under contract to the Albion, Irvines comments were foolish at best keep the kid under the radar want to see the lad at the baggies for a while yet'

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #861 on: October 03, 2014, 02:45:43 PM »
Can see a few teams stiffing around this young man come January especially if his banging In the goals. Peace should put out a statement that he's under contract to the Albion, Irvines comments were foolish at best keep the kid under the radar want to see the lad at the baggies for a while yet'

The problem with Media Comments is that they are often published out of context.

The interviewer no doubt asked him something like "so, Saido is doing well and "bigger" teams are reportedly keeping track, will you stand in his way if a chance for a big move comes along?" ..... Now AI should have skipped the question, but he's been Naive in answering it with an honest answer, basically if a top 6 team comes in then it's because Saido is getting 15+ goals for us this season and as so, he'd cost alot, but in theory, of course everyone is for sale at the right price..... That then get's reposrted as "Albion striker made avaiable".

The media guys manipulate and distort almost everything. AI has been Naive, but i wouldn't be too worried about this.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #862 on: October 03, 2014, 04:38:05 PM »
Out of interest how much do you think Berahino is Worth? He reminds me very much of a young Defoe who at the same age in 2004 went to spurs for around 10 million (7 million plus Zamora) Defoe had scored more prem goal but had played many more games, but Berahino's u21 record wipes the floor with Defoe's. I would say if he continues to have a good season and gets between 10-15 goals he must be worth 20 million at least. If Longs worth 12 million and he is only going to get you 6-8 goals a season then Berahino must definitely be over that.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #863 on: October 03, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »
Out of interest how much do you think Berahino is Worth? He reminds me very much of a young Defoe who at the same age in 2004 went to spurs for around 10 million (7 million plus Zamora) Defoe had scored more prem goal but had played many more games, but Berahino's u21 record wipes the floor with Defoe's. I would say if he continues to have a good season and gets between 10-15 goals he must be worth 20 million at least. If Longs worth 12 million and he is only going to get you 6-8 goals a season then Berahino must definitely be over that.

At the moment it's difficult to say.... But let's say by the end of the season he has stats somewhere around the region of played 40 games, scored 18 goals (he already has 5 from 6 starts and 2 sub appearances afterall.... if his current ratio continued we'd be looking at 25 goals)

Allowing for 18 goals in all comps and maybe an England callup once the U21 playoff is resoved... Then you need to look at Long going for £12 and the Championship players going for £10-12mill.... But then Wellbeck was only £16mill, as was Mario....

I'd say Saido could be worth £16-18mill, if he were on the market. But he won't be, Albion have no need to sell and it would take an over the top bid to land him. With that in mind, we're looking at more like £20-22mill maybe? Lukaku went for £26mill and he's arguably better at this moment in time.

Either way, when you add the sales of Chris Wood, the still unsettled Izzy Brown afair and George Thorne, the Accademy is already paying for it's self, despite the very unfair rules currently in place for youth team development.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:51:20 PM by KnaveofAlbion »
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #864 on: October 03, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »

How much is 2004 £10 million in today's football money....?

If Shane Long goes for £12 stupid million Saido, being far younger, English and much more prolific, should easily go for several times Long money.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #865 on: October 03, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »
To believe whatever Alan Irvine says in the media will have any influence on whether Saido remains an Albion player is in my opinion naive in the extreme.
We are West Brom, if an offer comes in we will consider it and sell on our terms.
Even the worst scout for the worst team will know he is currently the top scoring English player in the Premier League and MOTD II were discussing the merits of an England call up. I would even be willing to bet Alan Shearer has heard of him  ;)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #866 on: October 03, 2014, 05:31:14 PM »

Either way, when you add the sales of Chris Wood, the still unsettled Izzy Brown afair and George Thorne, the Accademy is already paying for it's self, despite the very unfair rules currently in place for youth team development.

Bet Izzy wished he was getting first team chances with us.
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #867 on: October 03, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »

Izzy's family and agent took the quick cash. Izzy was/is apparently a Chelsea fan, so in some ways I don't blame him, but no doubt it's at least damaged his career, if not killed it.

Can't believe we've not settled it yet, but I don't beleive we have. I've certainly not read/heard anything about it?

It's a great lesson for Saido and others in our current youth teams. Moving to a "big" club is rearely the right thing to do for a youngster.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #868 on: October 03, 2014, 06:26:10 PM »
He's probably spending most of his time pointing out that he's a chelski player to wanna be WAGS.  :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #869 on: October 04, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
Another excellent performance and his penalty was great too. When he stepped up for it I was never in doubt that he wouldn't score, his technique for penalties is very good. The way he held up the ball at times was impressive too.
the regime don't like it man

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #870 on: October 04, 2014, 05:54:44 PM »
Another excellent performance and his penalty was great too. When he stepped up for it I was never in doubt that he wouldn't score, his technique for penalties is very good. The way he held up the ball at times was impressive too.

Totally agree, he really has developed over the past six months. Whoever said whatever to him did a great job.

Bobby is going to have a very tough time getting that strikers role, but that's great news for WBA.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #871 on: October 04, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »
How good is this guy?! Absolutely brilliant player. Honestly can't see any difference ability wise of him and lukaku who we had at the same age. Had goals to his game last year, now his all round game is superb.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #872 on: October 04, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »
Ability wise you're not far wrong but Lukaku frightened defences with just his sheer size.

Saido is doing a good job up front for us at the moment, long may it continue  :)
Allllllll aboard

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #873 on: October 04, 2014, 08:06:11 PM »
Really impressive today. Has come back from criticism last year and worked hard to get where he is at now

Love him and hope this good form continues
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #874 on: October 04, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »

We saw today who is the better bet for England !!!!  A pity Roy's head has been turned by the FA establishment mentality.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !