Author Topic: Semi Ajayi  (Read 88255 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Semi Ajayi
« Reply #250 on: December 30, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »
We didn't have the second worst defence in the Championship.

Alongside Johnstone, Ajayi is the only one who has looked to make the step up. He isn't a kid anymore, and he needs to learn fast but he has the physical attributes to dig him out of trouble. If he improves his reading of the game he will be a decent PL centre half. We will make a tidy profit on our £1.5m in the summer. Likewise, we stand to make a tidy profit on Sam Johnstone as things stand. The rest of them we wont be able to give away.

I think you can add O'Shea and Townsend to the list. Townsend has probably been the surprise success for many people this season and O'Shea has been superb the previous three games and looks comfortable now. It's the others around them that are the problem.

Pereira hasnt really stepped up  like many expected he would while Diangana looks out of his depth. Robinson has had one good game, Grant not even that. Sawyers, Phillips, Livermore have contributed pretty much nothing. Furlong has tried but cant defend at this level.

We are trying to compete with three or four players that are up to the task every game.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #251 on: January 02, 2021, 09:59:58 PM »
Personifies pretty much the entire squad, decent while things are going his way, the slightest mess up and mentally implodes and gives up and just hacks and slashes at the ball.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2021, 10:01:55 PM »
Ajayi must be at fault for 7 or 8 of the goals conceded under Big Sam. No I've not checked, this is a generalisation. Him and Furlong are so sloppy.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:12:41 PM by TheJacko2000 »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2021, 10:11:30 PM »
Like him a lot but needs a break.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #254 on: January 02, 2021, 10:13:56 PM »
We need Bartley back in the side asap, and Townsend.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #255 on: January 02, 2021, 10:15:18 PM »
We need Bartley back in the side asap, and Townsend.

Why? The vast majority of our problems come down our right.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #256 on: January 02, 2021, 10:16:23 PM »
Arsenal were just too good for him tonight but to be honest he isn’t helped by not having a real quality defensive midfielder in the squad.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #257 on: January 02, 2021, 10:19:49 PM »
Gets an easy ride for me,  makes far too many errors.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #258 on: January 02, 2021, 10:20:42 PM »
Why? The vast majority of our problems come down our right.

Bartley is one of the very few defenders we have on the books that first and foremost like to defend and have an instinct for it. We have missed his leadership over the last month. Further, the recent defensive performances are so bad any defenders not playing should be a shoe-in.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #259 on: January 02, 2021, 10:27:51 PM »
Bartley is one of the very few defenders we have on the books that first and foremost like to defend and have an instinct for it. We have missed his leadership over the last month. Further, the recent defensive performances are so bad any defenders not playing should be a shoe-in.

Don't get me wrong I'd give anyone a chance during this 6 game assessment period, it just doesn't solve our current  problems unless you're playing Barts alongside OShea at centre back.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #260 on: January 02, 2021, 10:32:16 PM »
Don't get me wrong I'd give anyone a chance during this 6 game assessment period, it just doesn't solve our current  problems unless you're playing Barts alongside OShea at centre back.

Barts plus O'Shea is probably as good as we have got at present.

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2021, 12:30:44 AM »

This is the first thing you two have agreed on in months  :D :D :D

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2021, 01:08:43 AM »
This is the first thing you two have agreed on in months  :D :D :D

We also agree that Livermore is pony. Reassuringly we disagree on everything else  :D

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2021, 01:14:00 AM »
Ajayi is badly found out IMO. Gets caught wrong side, often dives in and gets turned or left out of position. I think bud set piece threat has given him an easier ride than most defenders would have had- he’s well below this level IMO and would sooner him play CDM than CB from what I’ve seen.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2021, 09:48:10 AM »
Kipre must be absolutely awful.......... I'll leave it there for today.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2021, 09:49:24 AM »
Kipre must be absolutely awful.......... I'll leave it there for today.

Bags of potential and only 900k, a bargain says Dowling.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2021, 09:54:24 AM »

Not O'Shea at CH, he's just too prone for going missing - had a hand in a few of our goals last night.  Would rather see Ajayi in there, and that tells you something.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #267 on: January 27, 2021, 09:53:02 PM »
Not O'Shea at CH, he's just too prone for going missing - had a hand in a few of our goals last night.  Would rather see Ajayi in there, and that tells you something.

O'Shea your whipping boy. All you've posted lately is hammering O''Shea. Laughable.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #268 on: January 27, 2021, 09:54:50 PM »
O'Shea your whipping boy. All you've posted lately is hammering O''Shea. Laughable.

He's just seeing something that isn't there regards positioning. Wouldn't say he was a whipping boy.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #269 on: January 27, 2021, 10:27:12 PM »
I find it very hard to judge our CB's when there's zero in front of them shutting down space nearly every game .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #270 on: January 27, 2021, 10:46:56 PM »
I find it very hard to judge our CB's when there's zero in front of them shutting down space nearly every game .

Think this is bang on. Not much support from full backs. From the midfield in front and not enough from the keeper behind. Ajayi could still make the grade. It was a lot to ask of him and most of the squad to step up
O Albion we love you

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2021, 12:40:57 AM »
 :D Sorry I disagree with a lot of these posts about Semi.
I think he has been one of our best performers and chipped in with goals, as well.
He and Bartley have had no defensive midfield cover so are stretched out of position to deal with danger and then have to rush back into position and marking.
An example of lack of DMs can be seen in the last ditch tackles Bartley had to make late on against Wolves as he flung himself into tackles as the "paper thin" DMs couldn't be bothered to clear the danger as Wolves came down the middle.

Also happened against Man City.....Sawyers not clearing a ball on the edge of the area and they scored. Ball should have gone into Row Z in that dangerous position.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #272 on: January 28, 2021, 09:33:33 AM »
Agree with what you're saying there to an extent Chipperclark however Bartley also has had to make these last ditch challenges to save Ajayi too. One such mistake from Ajayi led to a goal.

I certainly would rather make a judgement on both when playing in Allardyce's system with a new CDM and hopefully Gallagher (not Sawyers or Livermore!) in front of them because the two in brackets offer absolutely nothing in the Premier League and need to be dropped.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #273 on: January 28, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »
........Also happened against Man City.....Sawyers not clearing a ball on the edge of the area and they scored. Ball should have gone into Row Z in that dangerous position.

If this is the goal I'm thinking of Grant shouldn't have been heading the ball neck height to Sawyers under pressure on the edge of his own box in the first place. Ridiculous decision making. He just needed to head into space on the turn and take the ball away from the danger zone. He had a brain fart which dropped Sawyers/Ajayi and co' in the chunky stuff.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2021, 02:24:16 PM »
If this is the goal I'm thinking of Grant shouldn't have been heading the ball neck height to Sawyers under pressure on the edge of his own box in the first place. Ridiculous decision making. He just needed to head into space on the turn and take the ball away from the danger zone. He had a brain fart which dropped Sawyers/Ajayi and co' in the chunky stuff.

Grant takes some blame no doubt. But Sawyers attempting to chest the ball twice on the edge of his own box against Man City is moronic, and that’s being kind.