Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718168 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #250 on: March 11, 2019, 10:53:24 AM »
The problem in our squad is to many old legs in the midfield they cant play two games week in week out,
running out of steam & lack of goals is what got us relegated, if we only played once every 7 days i would say yes best squad in this league.
The new manager not only has to keep us in a play off position (hopefully get us promoted to) but replace 6/7 players in our squad who we need let go at the end of the season (should have gone at the end of last season) & injection much needed pace & strength in our midfield.
Who ever our new manager will need £ & time to build a new team, lets hope we all give him that time.
ralf rangnick is that man for me.
I remember quite a few people saying exactly this when DM was appointed. You are of course right, but it's not got a snowflakes chance of happening. At the first sign of a slump, around half of the people on this board will be baying for his head.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #251 on: March 11, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
The problem in our squad is to many old legs in the midfield they cant play two games week in week out,
running out of steam & lack of goals is what got us relegated, if we only played once every 7 days i would say yes best squad in this league.
The new manager not only has to keep us in a play off position (hopefully get us promoted to) but replace 6/7 players in our squad who we need let go at the end of the season (should have gone at the end of last season) & injection much needed pace & strength in our midfield.
Who ever our new manager will need £ & time to build a new team, lets hope we all give him that time.
ralf rangnick is that man for me.

At the end of the season we will lose 6 the loanees.
Hoolahan and Mears hopefully through the door.
Barry to retire (maybe)
Brunty and Mozza could go
J Rod/Dawson/Hegazi/Gibbs will want away if we don't get promoted and maybe even if we do.
Harper not yet signed a new deal.
That's potentially 16 players.
No way on earth will we replace those with any sort of quality that would allow us to be remotely competetive in the Championship let alone the Premier League.
The man who comes in will need to be good enough to get money from the board and generate money from player sales.
He will need to be strong enough and good enough to dictate to the board what he will need to do the job required and to get them to provide the tools for the job.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #252 on: March 11, 2019, 11:03:14 AM »
Barry to retire (maybe)
J Rod/Dawson/Hegazi/Gibbs will want away if we don't get promoted and maybe even if we do.
No way on earth will we replace those with any sort of quality that would allow us to be remotely competetive in the Championship let alone the Premier League.
The man who comes in will need to be good enough to get money from the board and generate money from player sales.
He will need to be strong enough and good enough to dictate to the board what he will need to do the job required and to get them to provide the tools for the job.

Completely agree. We've been sleep-walking into this situation for two/three seasons now...but will Mr Lai understand any of this?

A very very tough job for somebody.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #253 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
Completely agree. We've been sleep-walking into this situation for two/three seasons now...but will Mr Lai understand any of this?

A very very tough job for somebody.
No, he'll just keep sacking managers.
It's one thing to give a manager a remit of automatic promotion, but if you don't give him the tools to achieve it, he is doomed to fail.

If Lai is adamant that promotion is the ultimate goal then he has to put his money where his mouth is otherwise he will have a very long wait.

I asked earlier in the thread. What is the new manager's remit?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »
Barry to retire (maybe)
You're quite right. The other ingredient the new guy will need is time, something we as supporters and the club itself seem completely unwilling to give somebody. Big Dave changed the style of football, got us scoring goals again, improved morale, and started to bring through some home grown youngsters, but as soon as the going gets a bit tough he gets sacked. He was given less than a year starting from a very low point. Look at some of the other managers now succeeding at other clubs who have started moderately but have been given 2-3 years to build up a squad and get them playing well together. Since Big Ron in the late 70's, we have had over 30 managers, and only 1 (Gary Megson) has been given 3 years in the job.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2019, 11:13:37 AM »
No, he'll just keep sacking managers.
It's one thing to give a manager a remit of automatic promotion, but if you don't give him the tools to achieve it, he is doomed to fail.

If Lai is adamant that promotion is the ultimate goal then he has to put his money where his mouth is otherwise he will have a very long wait.

I asked earlier in the thread. What is the new manager's remit?

We have the tools, they just haven't been utilised properly. This is evidenced in our 1st matches against Leeds, Sheff Utd and Norwich this season.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »
https://t.co/zutb67k6kz

Not sure if i have managed to do this right (i am rubbish at links)

Think our board and some of our fans need to read what he says.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2019, 11:23:46 AM »
Rangnick is manager of RB Leipzig who are THIRD in the Bundesliga.

Enough said.
THIRD in the Bundesliga.
1st is Bayem
2nd is Dortmund
who have much bigger war chests.
https://www.google.com/search?q=RB+Leipzig&oq=RB+Leipzig&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j69i61j0l3.8429j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=t;/m/065zf3p;2;/m/037169;st;fp;1;;

Take 5 minutes & tell me you don't like what you hear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Csig7_fqw

The Bundesliga
is a professional association football league in Germany and the football league with the highest average stadium attendance worldwide. At the top of the German football league system, the Bundesliga is Germany's primary football competition. Wikipedia
Current champion: FC Bayern Munich (27th title)
Most championships: Bayern Munich (27 titles)
Most appearances: Karl-Heinz Körbel (602)
Number of teams: 18
Did you know: The Bundesliga ranks seventh among domestic professional sports leagues in the world by total attendance (13,661,796). wikipedia.org

Before we signed Irvin has our new manager Ralf was in the mix if he only had got the job then.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:29:40 AM by geoff »

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
THIRD in the Bundesliga.
1st is Bayem
2nd is Dortmund
https://www.google.com/search?q=RB+Leipzig&oq=RB+Leipzig&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j69i61j0l3.8429j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=t;/m/065zf3p;2;/m/037169;st;fp;1;;

Take 5 minutes & tell me you don't like what you hear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Csig7_fqw

The Bundesliga
is a professional association football league in Germany and the football league with the highest average stadium attendance worldwide. At the top of the German football league system, the Bundesliga is Germany's primary football competition. Wikipedia
Current champion: FC Bayern Munich (27th title)
Most championships: Bayern Munich (27 titles)
Most appearances: Karl-Heinz Körbel (602)
Number of teams: 18
Did you know: The Bundesliga ranks seventh among domestic professional sports leagues in the world by total attendance (13,661,796). wikipedia.org

Apologies if it wasn't obvious to you but I was alluding to the fact that he will never want to come here seeing as he is manager of a team third in the Bundesliga...

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2019, 11:31:19 AM »
THIRD in the Bundesliga.
1st is Bayem
2nd is Dortmund

I don't think Pie was questioning the ability of Rangnick nor the quality of the Bundesliga, but rather why a successful coach in a good league would want to swap that situation for the one we find ourselves in here. He would have to be mental, or offered a mental amount of money, neither of which seem likely.

I don't really care who we appoint as they'll be gone before the end of next season, I just hope we get them in quickly as the endless speculation does my head in.

Seriously bored of football and everything about it at the moment.
Astle is the King

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #260 on: March 11, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
Maybe for this.
Thanks for this link Albion 79

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2019, 11:42:59 AM »
The next boss needs to get a play off spot and hope they can mastermind the win.

Lets all be honest here, whoever gets the job next has a thankless task either way, if they manage to get us promoted, will they get the backing from Lai?

If we don't go up, they have a massive rebuilding job at hand, whilst also trying to implent their style, again will they get the backing to bring in some players, and if they don't start the season well they will probably be sacked by Christmas (as is the nature of football nowadays).

If we are to remain in the championship next year then we need a manager that can utilise the transfer market abroad. If you look at Norwich's team, personally I hadn't heard of a good 7/8 of their players but they play for each other and look set to get promoted. Would be interesting to see how much Norwich's team cost to put together.

What a massive appointment for the club. Lets just hope they can somehow get it right.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2019, 12:01:23 PM »
We have the tools, they just haven't been utilised properly. This is evidenced in our 1st matches against Leeds, Sheff Utd and Norwich this season.
So the new guy should hit the ground running?

What are your minimum expectations, in terms of points, by the end of the season?
What happens if he doesn't achieve them?

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2019, 12:08:47 PM »

What a massive appointment for the club. Lets just hope they can somehow get it right.

We say this every time, because every time it's true.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
So the new guy should hit the ground running?

What are your minimum expectations, in terms of points, by the end of the season?
What happens if he doesn't achieve them?

I wouldn't hold your breath. If he replies at all, it is generally to avoid the question rather than answering it.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
what is Mr Wenger upto??

I would love to see one of these "top" managers try to achieve success with an average team, the nearest I can think of who tried it is Rafa.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »

Not sure if i have managed to do this right (i am rubbish at links)

Think our board and some of our fans need to read what he says.

He wants to feel appreciated and supported (which makes sense). I don’t think the Albion is right for you :)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2019, 12:21:08 PM »
He wants to feel appreciated and supported (which makes sense). I don’t think the Albion is right for you :)
He also says that, at Fulham, "For the first six months, we didn’t find a clear way of how we were going to play". This, I suggest, also rules him out as Moore only got 7 and a bit.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »
Whoever we appoint, it won't be long before he isn't good enough for some people. Darren Moore, in his first season as a manager, still managed to achieve the best win ratio at this level or above, of ANY manager EVER in our history (not counting temporary managers), but it still wasn't good enough, so what chance has the next guy got?

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2019, 12:33:45 PM »
He also says that, at Fulham, "For the first six months, we didn’t find a clear way of how we were going to play". This, I suggest, also rules him out as Moore only got 7 and a bit.

I was actually going to add that they gave him time at Fulham to build something. It was a late season run that helped them make the play offs. Would have been out of the job by Christmas at Albion :)
Also the board have made it clear we need promotion this season but they are still talking to potential candidates. If the new man isn’t in place soon they are giving up games that we don’t have...

ben_westbrom

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »

Think the difference between the two is that we've been getting progressively worse under Moore not improving under a new style of play.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2019, 12:39:19 PM »
My hope is that this decision to change Manager at this late stage of the season is at least part due to the current owner having a potential buyer if we get promoted, and we then get someone actually interested in developing the clubs potential.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2019, 12:43:53 PM »
Think the difference between the two is that we've been getting progressively worse under Moore not improving under a new style of play.

But points are what matters to the board. They have pretty much said that, would they have been patient with “improved” performances but remaining 14th in the league...Also if memory serves we had won 8 on the bounce away from home before Leeds...

GrumpyBaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2019, 12:47:23 PM »
I think those expecting a quick appointment of a new manager are in for a disappontment.  I presume that Lai demanded heads should roll last week, so Jenkins wielded the axe before it occurred to him that we probably need to think about looking for a new manager rather than promoting internally. 
If they have even finalised a shortlist yet I would be amazed, and I do not expect a new manager to be announced much before the end of the next pointless international break.  I also do not expect him to be one of the top five bookies favourites.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »
I think those expecting a quick appointment of a new manager are in for a disappontment.  I presume that Lai demanded heads should roll last week, so Jenkins wielded the axe before it occurred to him that we probably need to think about looking for a new manager rather than promoting internally. 
If they have even finalised a shortlist yet I would be amazed, and I do not expect a new manager to be announced much before the end of the next pointless international break.  I also do not expect him to be one of the top five bookies favourites.

Mmmm.
Grumpy by name grumpy by nature
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'