Author Topic: Best/Worst Memories of Games Against Vile  (Read 6639 times)

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

Best/Worst Memories of Games Against Vile
« on: November 30, 2018, 09:16:18 PM »
I know we have another game beforehand, but the derby is a week away so wondered what memories people have?

Good memories - Steve Hunts late equaliser Xmas 1985 led to one of the best celebrations on terraces I can remember; Valentines scuffed finish on Easter Monday, me and a mate were thrown out the Brummie shortly after and just paid back into the Woodman; Mulumbu breaking the long sequence of not winning, great celebrations and a guy in front of me needed medical attention sure he was having heart attack; walking from Witton to Handsworth along 11 bus route after a dreadful 0-0 Friday night draw with some like minded souls, none of the numerous seals we met fancied discussing the game with us.

In Between memory - getting dragged out the rainbow by dad in early 80s aged about 12 during a 2-1 defeat as my Viler step brother was giving it large so I leathered him, and we were scrapping all the way to the car.

Bad Memories - Numerous heavy defeats particularly two 3-0 s in 77/78 season. For the game at Vile aged about 10 I was in bottom of Trinity by the Holte in full colours, it was horrible, listening to the seal stamp and clap.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Best/Worst Memories of Games Against Vile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 09:37:32 PM »
The 2 defeats in a few days at villa in Cup and league.. Pulis days 😕

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:36:04 PM »
worst - a 4-0 stuffing at seal park in the FA cup - I think Denis Smith was in charge
best - any win against the big headed fickle b@st@rds - did you know they've won the European Cup?
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 10:40:13 PM »
Not normally too fussed. But Daley in the FA Cup was upsetting. Positive experience the win there last time out. Berahino scored the winner.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 10:41:25 PM »
worst - a 4-0 stuffing at seal park in the FA cup - I think Denis Smith was in charge
best - any win against the big headed fickle b@st@rds - did you know they've won the European Cup?
I was there
We were lucky that day - it could have been a lot worse - Dwight York tore us apart

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »
In recent times I liked the 1-0 at Villa park because of the Sherwood chants, where a year before he had tried to intimidate us - and the Paul Scharner t-shirt was funny.
Also the Paul Robinson injury time equaliser was brilliant at the time.

The worst I can think of is the two losses including the late Benteke penalty.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:02:54 PM »
Worst was the Fa cup game for me but I think it was more to do with the fact it was the fa cup quarter final than it was the Villa as it is not ‘the’ derby for me.

Best is probably when we beat them 2–1 at villa park.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 11:19:21 PM »
Best was when we beat 3-1 January 1984 after being 1-0 down, Cyrille got 2 and Thompson the other I think

Worst was when Hitzlsperger got the winner in the last minute down there, I was in their end with 2 Albion mates and a villa mate, had a hissy fit, kicked the chair and stormed out
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 11:25:01 PM »
It was in the 60's at home and we be beat the vile lot 4-3 at home. Smashing.  ;D

baggy_girl89

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 11:38:15 PM »
Best moment;

Even though it wasn’t a win, Paul Robinson scoring last minute at their place to get us a point, for me, was THEE decisive moment that then led to us somehow managing the Great Escape in the 04/05 season. Incredible moment where I’ve never been so content at being crushed in the stands by everyone twice my size.

Worst moment;

Losing 4-3 at their place after being 2-0 up within the first 10 minutes in 2014. Didn’t manage to get tickets in the away end so stupidly thought the home end would be better than not being there at all. I was horribly horribly wrong.

Never ever again.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 12:11:24 AM »
Get the worst out of the way first:

1) DV2 1975, (A) L 1-3: Not long before Don Howe was sacked. 1-0 up at half time but collapsed in the second half. Dogs started screaming throughout the land as the Vilers' delighted squeals went into ultrasonic. They got promoted at the end of the season.
2) DV1 1981, (A) L 0-1: The week we effectively gifted them the title by beating Ipswich and then losing to them. Outplayed them before Brendon Batson's disastrous back pass handed them victory on a platter. The away end was dangerously overcrowded too.
3) League Cup R4, (H) L 1-2: One of the worst refereeing performances I've ever witnessed. Think we ended up with 9 men. Robbed.
3) FA Cup R4 1998, (A)L 0-4: The gulf between the clubs was so huge that the chants of 'we'll never play you again' seemed pretty reasonable. High pitched renditions of Vera Lynn. Stan Collymore.
4) FA Cup QF 2015, (A) L 0-2: Possibly the worst week I've experienced as an Albion fan. Bottled it.

And now for some better ones:
1) League Cup R5 1965, (H) W 3-1: One of the first games I can remember and certainly the first win over the Villa. Big crowd, fantastic atmosphere and of course we went on to win the trophy.
2) League Cup R2 1966, (H) W 6-1: Should have been about 12. I kid you not.
3) League Cup R2 1970, (A) W 2-1: Albion all over the Holte End. Thoroughly took the urine. Great night.
4) DV2 1973, (H) W 2-0: Boxing Day special. Wonderful atmosphere and God knows how many fans were squeezed in.
5) DV2 1974, (A) W 3-1: Great game in an otherwise deeply disappointing season as we did the double over them. Only time we've done so in my life thus far.  :o
6) League Cup R5 1982, (A) W 1-0: Made up somewhat for the calamity the season before. One of the best goal celebrations I've ever been involved in, as attested by the bruises the next morning.
7) DV1 1984, (H) W 3-1: Best last five minutes ever?
8) Premier League 2005, (A) D 1-1: Robbo!
9) Premier League 2011, (H) W 2-1: About bloody time.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 01:36:14 AM »
Best moment;

Even though it wasn’t a win, Paul Robinson scoring last minute at their place to get us a point, for me, was THEE decisive moment that then led to us somehow managing the Great Escape in the 04/05 season. Incredible moment where I’ve never been so content at being crushed in the stands by everyone twice my size.

Worst moment;

Losing 4-3 at their place after being 2-0 up within the first 10 minutes in 2014. Didn’t manage to get tickets in the away end so stupidly thought the home end would be better than not being there at all. I was horribly horribly wrong.

Never ever again.

Agree with that 100%
O Albion we love you

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 02:21:56 AM »
Amazing how many memories of that shower there are. Other memories for me League Cup away 85/86, 2-0 up and drew 2-2 with dodgy pen for them, a bluenose friend was with us for the match and was gobsmacked at how loud our support was that night.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »
 When you're young the passion is greater and you haven't had the years of shall we say experience to nullify the pain so both my experiences are when I was a young man.
First up the "worst", I have to put two games down for this the first was the 3-0 defeat in the game when Cropley broke his leg I felt evil after that game and the second and more significant match was when Batson threw the game away and as we all know had major consequences.

To end on a cheerful note the match I enjoyed the most was the Qtr final of the Lge Cup at Seal Park  the Albion fans were up for it that night I swear the We Hate Villa chant lasted for 20 minutes that night even Godden turned around and gestured to the fans to knock it on the head no chance!

I have only mentioned the games I went to my hatred of Villa is so great that if I thought we might lose I couldn't bring myself to go and missed what must have been the best turn around ever when we came from 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go to beat the scum 3-1

mutchisman

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 12:04:40 PM »
Was at most of those games Black Country Pride, got one more bad memory to add: losing 4 - 0 at Seal Park end of season 75/76 (possibly the year after). Andy Gray hat-trick :(.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 05:23:54 PM »

1) DV2 1975, (A) L 1-3: Not long before Don Howe was sacked. 1-0 up at half time but collapsed in the second half. Dogs started screaming throughout the land as the Vilers' delighted squeals went into ultrasonic. They got promoted at the end of the season.
2) DV1 1981, (A) L 0-1: The week we effectively gifted them the title by beating Ipswich and then losing to them. Outplayed them before Brendon Batson's disastrous back pass handed them victory on a platter. The away end was dangerously overcrowded too.
3) League Cup R4, (H) L 1-2: One of the worst refereeing performances I've ever witnessed. Think we ended up with 9 men. Robbed.
3) FA Cup R4 1998, (A)L 0-4: The gulf between the clubs was so huge that the chants of 'we'll never play you again' seemed pretty reasonable. High pitched renditions of Vera Lynn. Stan Collymore.
4) FA Cup QF 2015, (A) L 0-2: Possibly the worst week I've experienced as an Albion fan. Bottled it.

And now for some better ones:
1) League Cup R5 1965, (H) W 3-1: One of the first games I can remember and certainly the first win over the Villa. Big crowd, fantastic atmosphere and of course we went on to win the trophy.
2) League Cup R2 1966, (H) W 6-1: Should have been about 12. I kid you not.
3) League Cup R2 1970, (A) W 2-1: Albion all over the Holte End. Thoroughly took the urine. Great night.
4) DV2 1973, (H) W 2-0: Boxing Day special. Wonderful atmosphere and God knows how many fans were squeezed in.
5) DV2 1974, (A) W 3-1: Great game in an otherwise deeply disappointing season as we did the double over them. Only time we've done so in my life thus far.  :o
6) League Cup R5 1982, (A) W 1-0: Made up somewhat for the calamity the season before. One of the best goal celebrations I've ever been involved in, as attested by the bruises the next morning.
7) DV1 1984, (H) W 3-1: Best last five minutes ever?
8) Premier League 2005, (A) D 1-1: Robbo!
9) Premier League 2011, (H) W 2-1: About bloody time.

Yep, that was a terrible night. I mentioned in the 'most depressing thread' how me and hundreds of other albion fans were let in for nothing when the police opened a gate at the witton end due to crowd pressure outside just after kick-off.

Yep to bold text 2! Right up there with the 3-2 over the Wolves (Darren Bradley!).

And I will never ever forgive Pulis for the cowardice and capitulation in the FA cup defeat.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 05:27:13 PM by miggybaggy »

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »
I think younger fans won’t remember the hatred for Vile that there was back in 70s and 80s. Amongst my most abiding memories as a kid in early 70s and what I always called ‘The Albion Song’ as I genuinely thought it was our record, otherwise known as “The Liquidator’ and we ALWAYS sang “We hate Villa, West Brom’.  And in the 80s Oh I do like to be beside the seaside, always led to about 20 minutes of ‘We Hate Villa’, so much so I lost my voice before kickoff for the 1990 cup defeat.

throstle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 10:43:18 AM »

https://youtu.be/SqPyrePpu2E
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:37:29 PM by OldburyWBA »

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
Best was the 2-1 win at home, mulumbu with the winner. They still had a fairly decent team then so it was a big win and the atmosphere was electric that day.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 05:15:11 PM »
Best was the 2-1 win at home, mulumbu with the winner. They still had a fairly decent team then so it was a big win and the atmosphere was electric that day.

This is my best too, especially as we were down to 10.

Worst has to be going there late '90's in the FA Cup and getting hammered 4-0.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »
I have a permanent memory of one match. New Tears Day 1985 at their place, 3-1 defeat but got steaming drunk in Witton Arms before the match. Only good memory is being on top of fence behind goal as Dekka’s pen went in. But what I remember most is the programme cover which had a Villa Lion and Albion Throstle squaring up to one another, I took the programme to a tattooist and had the throstle tattooed, making me probably the only Albion fan with a tattoo from a Villa match programme!

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 10:10:59 AM »
this felt like a win to me. Never surrender attitude  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP1VnvE_mGE

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 12:46:57 PM »
The limbs that day  ;D , absolutely superb.

SOTV  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 04:15:11 AM »
Best - mulumbu winner when down to 10 men.

Worse - Diego Lugano.

deejay

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 02:01:25 AM »
more recently Mulumbu at Home had 12 of us watching in a pub in Adelaide We made it seem like 1200 of us loved it

Also we came back to visit and took my kids to Villa away did em 2-1 a week after watching us beat the Dingles at home , fans were absolutely on top of villa it was ace

another one early 80s about 150 of us meeting at The Temple Bar and Shakespeare in Brum marching on to the train getting off in Aston and chasing a load of Villa into The Adventurers pub You should of seen em barricading the doors
Queuing up to go in the Holt end only for a hawk eyed WPC to spot we were Albion .
They led us down towards Witton so we all bought tickets for the AV Stand You could just pay in on the day back then, to many of us up there to throw out
Game was 3-3 at Half time I think but of course they beat us 4-3
Ended up walking form Vile Park to Rolfe Street in the end to get home after lots of playing up after .
Hoult,Mulligan,Statham,Brown,Robertson,Wile,Robson,Cunningham,Regis,Giles,Johnston. I HATE VILLA MORE THAN YOU

http://david3525.fotopic.net            http://jacksgallery.fotopic.net