Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 850761 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #4000 on: July 10, 2019, 11:42:12 PM »
He seems an alright bloke, but why is it “fully deserved”?

Well his win rate including 6 PL matches for a start.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4001 on: July 11, 2019, 01:23:52 AM »
Football is a brutal game, and i am brutally honest. I loved Darren as a player, but as a manager he was totally inept and should never accepted such a big responsibility as taking on the Albion with no previous experience.
For all is ineptitude he now has another job while we are suffering because of his tenancy.
Some people seem to think more of players and manager more than the club they should be supporting.
I am Albion through and through and to me they come before any average player or inept manager.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4002 on: July 11, 2019, 01:30:18 AM »
Football is a brutal game, and i am brutally honest. I loved Darren as a player, but as a manager he was totally inept and should never accepted such a big responsibility as taking on the Albion with no previous experience.
For all is ineptitude he now has another job while we are suffering because of his tenancy.
Some people seem to think more of players and manager more than the club they should be supporting.
I am Albion through and through and to me they come before any average player or inept manager.

It's just not true Des everyone is entitled to their opinion but what Moore did at the end of 17/18 was an incredible achievement. His PL record is up there with the greats considering the opposition. Last season he bought into Jones bull and it cost him. I imagine he'll be a great success with Donny!
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4003 on: July 11, 2019, 04:03:58 AM »
its true he was out of his depth in the role in the Championship -  but we have definitely had worse managers than him.

i also think you have to give him some credit for us entering the Championship with morale and self-belief intact after he led that end of Prem season defiance - the fact that we went out with a bang not a whimper meant we didnt plummet like stoke

I'm slightly surprised he has been given another chance so soon....but DR now my second favourite team

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4004 on: July 11, 2019, 05:32:15 AM »
So easy for everyone to keep blaming jones.. Maybe he let him have so much say because he didnt have a clue himself.. If he wins first game most will bewanying him back. Clueless

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4005 on: July 11, 2019, 07:20:21 AM »
This time without Graeme Jones, Darren can apply his own tactics and idea to the team.
Hope he does well.
The PRIDE of midlands

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4006 on: July 11, 2019, 08:30:50 AM »
Manager lets his assistant dictate terms and is absolved from blame as a result of it?  :-X Few straws being seriously clutched at here.

Be interesting to see how he gets on, it is about the level he should have started at, maybe even still a division too high.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4007 on: July 11, 2019, 08:52:26 AM »
Manager lets his assistant dictate terms and is absolved from blame as a result of it?  :-X Few straws being seriously clutched at here.

Be interesting to see how he gets on, it is about the level he should have started at, maybe even still a division too high.

exactly this !

Moore should of started at a league 2 club and gained experience rather than going to a premier league side and having huge pressure to deliver a promotion challenge when he had never managed before and completely out of his depth at championship.

Doncaster is still a big job for him as they are looking at a promotion challenge after losing in the play offs last year. Hes an Albion legend but remember thats as a player, not a manager.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4008 on: July 11, 2019, 09:01:34 AM »

I would suggest that wishing an ex-player and manager, who has always treated our club with nothing but respect and integrity, all the best in his new role, rather than showering him with disrespectful abuse, does not make someone less of a fan. Quite the opposite in fact.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4009 on: July 11, 2019, 09:02:52 AM »
So easy for everyone to keep blaming jones.. Maybe he let him have so much say because he didnt have a clue himself.. If he wins first game most will bewanying him back. Clueless

I doubt anyone will want him back if he wins his first game with Doncaster Rovers, certainly not "most" anyway.

I hope he does well.

It will be interesting to see his tactics now that he doesn't have Jones as assistant. I do think he relied on Graeme Jones too much and that was a problem.

Like a few others have implied he needs to get to grips managing at a lower level to learn his craft.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4010 on: July 11, 2019, 09:17:05 AM »

How about "manager supports his top coaches philosiphies / tactics and loses job as a result" I think you are spinning this totally inaccurately.

I'm a middle level manager, if my board came along and said "
Albionic, we like what you have been doing we want to promote you and give you a big rise and status, new title is director of xxxxx, should i try and make a success of the opportunity or say 'nah, don't think i can cope with that, sorry" ??
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4011 on: July 11, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »
How about "manager supports his top coaches philosiphies / tactics and loses job as a result" I think you are spinning this totally inaccurately.

I'm a middle level manager, if my board came along and said "
Albionic, we like what you have been doing we want to promote you and give you a big rise and status, new title is director of xxxxx, should i try and make a success of the opportunity or say 'nah, don't think i can cope with that, sorry" ??

I'm really not spinning it in any way other than, he was the head coach, he chose his backroom team, he is ultimately culpable for the results based on the structure that he put into place, he failed miserably and we are now seeing the effects of that as our squad, our academy and our backroom team are being decimated.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4012 on: July 11, 2019, 10:18:00 AM »
I'm really not spinning it in any way other than, he was the head coach, he chose his backroom team, he is ultimately culpable for the results based on the structure that he put into place, he failed miserably and we are now seeing the effects of that as our squad, our academy and our backroom team are being decimated.
He failed, but not "miserably", he couldn't be flexible when he needed to be and he wants to be a manager he'll have to learn that.  Everyone goes on about how we should have gone up as if we had a god-given right, the best squad and all that, well we weren't that good really.  HRK backup striker?  Ageing Brunt/ Barry/Livermore/Phillips?  Lucky to get Barnes, unlucky to lose him.

He should never have been put up for failure like that, it was predicted by many including me, and it's done nobody any good.  I hope he does a solid three year shift there and does well. 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:25:11 AM by mulliganstired »

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4013 on: July 11, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »

It's just not true Des everyone is entitled to their opinion but what Moore did at the end of 17/18 was an incredible achievement. His PL record is up there with the greats considering the opposition. Last season he bought into Jones bull and it cost him. I imagine he'll be a great success with Donny!

It was yes, but i don't think it was all down to Darren, we had a talented squad of players who didn't want to play for Pulis and Pardew, and they reacted like men let out of prison.
We saw the same reaction at Manchester United after Mourinho was sacked. They won their next six on the bounce. United foolishly like us then gave the job to Solksjaer and their form fell away. He won't survive next season, but he had managed clubs before and  had a much better knowledge than Darren. But the job will prove to big for him, and the same with Lampard at Chelsea.

It's the board i am really angry with for appointing Darren in the first place, this is a decision that may prove to have finished us as a top flight club. Those are the bare unpalatable facts. I may never see Albion in the top flight ever again, and all because Darren was a nice bloke and cheap.
We needed a manager of Bilic's ability last season while the players were still there. I personally wanted Dean Smith, a proper football manager, but our tight board won't pay compensation to another club.
Had we  chosen the right manager we would be back in the prem now instead of Vile.

It galls me that after being in the prem for eight seasons, and being bought out by a billionaire the club still acts like a league 1 outfit.
I am gutted that we now have no money, no players, a failing Academy, (for the benefit of us at least) while our two neighbours swagger about.

I am sorry but i have no enthusiasm for wishing Darren Moore all the best for the future, anymore than i would wish any other manager at any other club.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4014 on: July 11, 2019, 11:23:27 AM »
It was yes, but i don't think it was all down to Darren, we had a talented squad of players who didn't want to play for Pulis and Pardew, and they reacted like men let out of prison.
We saw the same reaction at Manchester United after Mourinho was sacked. They won their next six on the bounce. United foolishly like us then gave the job to Solksjaer and their form fell away. He won't survive next season, but he had managed clubs before and  had a much better knowledge than Darren. But the job will prove to big for him, and the same with Lampard at Chelsea.

It's the board i am really angry with for appointing Darren in the first place, this is a decision that may prove to have finished us as a top flight club. Those are the bare unpalatable facts. I may never see Albion in the top flight ever again, and all because Darren was a nice bloke and cheap.
We needed a manager of Bilic's ability last season while the players were still there. I personally wanted Dean Smith, a proper football manager, but our tight board won't pay compensation to another club.
Had we  chosen the right manager we would be back in the prem now instead of Vile.

It galls me that after being in the prem for eight seasons, and being bought out by a billionaire the club still acts like a league 1 outfit.
I am gutted that we now have no money, no players, a failing Academy, (for the benefit of us at least) while our two neighbours swagger about.

I am sorry but i have no enthusiasm for wishing Darren Moore all the best for the future, anymore than i would wish any other manager at any other club.
I wish Darren Moore all the luck in the world and I hope he is a big success. That said it's because of Darren Moore the man not the football manager. I will never forget what he did for my family and me when i asked him to do something and that was about 10 years ago. Thanks Darren and all the best.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4015 on: July 11, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »

I would be leaning towards the other side of the fence on this matter. I did feel you were making good arguments on your side but the statement that the following three items are facts rather than opinion is clearly untrue.

• (Solskjaer)He won't survive next season
  • and the same with Lampard at Chelsea.
  • this is a decision that may prove to have finished us as a top flight club.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4016 on: July 11, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »

Just to play devils advocate;

What do you think would have happened if we had not have appointed Darren after his six games in the premiership? One scenario would have been that we gave it to a 'name' and, despite his best efforts we did not get promoted, everyone on this forum now would be saying 'should have given it to Darren, I blame the board'.......

Sometimes you just cannot win, and hindsight is a wonderful thing. It was a popular decision at the time.....
MAGA!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4017 on: July 11, 2019, 03:19:04 PM »
Just to play devils advocate;

What do you think would have happened if we had not have appointed Darren after his six games in the premiership? One scenario would have been that we gave it to a 'name' and, despite his best efforts we did not get promoted, everyone on this forum now would be saying 'should have given it to Darren, I blame the board'.......

Sometimes you just cannot win, and hindsight is a wonderful thing. It was a popular decision at the time.....

It's all conjecture isn't it, we will never really know. But i think we would have done much better with the players at our disposal had we appointed the like of Dean Smith. I think you wanted Smith as well if i remember rightly.
Darren was a popular choice to some purely because of his Albion history and because he is such a nice guy.
I never wanted him and when it was announced we had appointed him i posted "I feel sick," on here and it was removed.
I could see a club icons name being remembered for all the wrong reasons. I think he was used by both the club and the players to suit their own needs. Don't forget the players nominated him, and then scarmbled for the door, notably Jonny Evans, Foster ( another toe rag) and Rondon. Three players who would have helped us get up had they put their backing behind Darren. These players saddled the club with someone who was way way out of his depth. People say he was learning, but if we were ever serious about last season being imperative to go straight back up, then appointing a learner makes no sense at all. Even less sense when they appoint someone with more experience than himself, and then sack both of them with no replacement.

I think i have been unkind to Darren with my previous comments but it's just pure frustration at the people who run our club.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4018 on: July 11, 2019, 03:26:18 PM »
It's all conjecture isn't it, we will never really know. But i think we would have done much better with the players at our disposal had we appointed the like of Dean Smith. I think you wanted Smith as well if i remember rightly.
Darren was a popular choice to some purely because of his Albion history and because he is such a nice guy.
I never wanted him and when it was announced we had appointed him i posted "I feel sick," on here and it was removed.
I could see a club icons name being remembered for all the wrong reasons. I think he was used by both the club and the players to suit their own needs. Don't forget the players nominated him, and then scarmbled for the door, notably Jonny Evans, Foster ( another toe rag) and Rondon. Three players who would have helped us get up had they put their backing behind Darren. These players saddled the club with someone who was way way out of his depth. People say he was learning, but if we were ever serious about last season being imperative to go straight back up, then appointing a learner makes no sense at all. Even less sense when they appoint someone with more experience than himself, and then sack both of them with no replacement.

I think i have been unkind to Darren with my previous comments but it's just pure frustration at the people who run our club.

ive got to be honest, i dont ever remember many fans screaming for Moore to get the job at any point.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4019 on: July 11, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »
I wonder if we will see Donny playing it out from the back every single time?

They are already do.

He’s not going in and rebuilding a football club as he had to here

There are foundations in place

Good luck to the bloke. I hope he does well
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4020 on: July 11, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
Without looking (so excuse me if its common knowledge) but it will be interesting to see who he chooses as past of his backroom staff.

I wish the bloke well, he will probably do well enough to get around the play offs, he has something about him which makes players want to do well for him.

If he is able to go back to his mindsight when he first became caretaker manager, as opposed to how we tried to play with Jones, then he should do well enough.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4021 on: July 11, 2019, 04:28:00 PM »
Jimmy Shan to Donny as asst?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4022 on: July 11, 2019, 04:45:45 PM »
I wish the bloke every success. I really do.

I just think it speaks volumes that after leaving us in 4th in the Championship, he's had to drop down a level for his next job.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4023 on: July 11, 2019, 06:13:27 PM »
Interesting that people blame Big Dave's managerial shortcomings on Graeme Jones as if they were in the team talks and dugout.  How Jones gets on at Luton should settle it.  But if he was giving duff advice to DM, DM didn't need to take it.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4024 on: July 11, 2019, 06:27:48 PM »
I wish the bloke every success. I really do.

I just think it speaks volumes that after leaving us in 4th in the Championship, he's had to drop down a level for his next job.

Can kind of see where you're coming from, but look at the players he had to work with last season. We had freescoring strikers and some other PL players. Would he have got to 4th with another team? I'm not sure he would. My main issue with him was not learning from his mistakes quick enough.

I genuinely wish him all the best though. Is a great bloke and will always be a hero here.