Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854284 times)

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #2725 on: February 03, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
I genuinely think his main problem is that he naively thinks that if something works/appears to be working then there is no need to change. Regardless of the opposition, regardless of what the opposing manager is doing, regardless of the flow of the game at any particular moment. Even if something is clearly wrong, as long as we win or we are leading then he does absolutely nothing. Every time we win a game, he goes with the same unchanged team, regardless of how awful individual players have been. HRK had done nothing to warrant a start yesterday, regardless of the fact he wasn't as poor as he usually is.

He's far too reactionary. It took him an awful run of form before he switched from the 3 at the back and dropped Bartley and Brunt, despite the fact that it was painfully obvious after a couple of games that it wasn't working. Every substitution is like-for-like, and happens after we conceed, even if it was needed 10 mins earlier. He never changes the shape during a game, never forces the opposition manager to react, he's always on the back foot tactically even when we are leading.

This "we score as a team and we conceed as a team" nonsense is a load of waffle too. We score because Gayle, Rodriguez, Barnes and Phillips are too good for this division. We conceed because they've been instructed to p*ss around at the back, allow copious amounts of shots at a shakey goalkeeper, and because our midfield is always knackered and bypassed in the last 20 mins due to lack of and/or awful substitutions. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:17:49 PM by wba_1996 »

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2726 on: February 03, 2019, 10:55:40 PM »
My humble opinion; after the January window we have the best team in the league, even without Barnes.

I think failure to get promoted (automatically or play-offs) and the book stops with Moore - he was out thought yesterday by a man who many (rightly at times) call a tactical dinosaur.

We have the players to go up, the rest is on Moore and how he deals with it.

webral

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2727 on: February 04, 2019, 01:44:27 AM »
DM has done a good job but his inflexibility and in game management leave a lot to be desired. Lack of using timely subs in a proactive manner or tweaking the system during a game has probably cost us a few points which is frustrating. When 3 at the back was getting us goals and points earlier in the season (even though we were conceding chances for fun and getting away with it on many occasions), DM was reluctant to change for a few games when other teams had done their homework. He's pretty much stuck with the 4-3-3 since Leeds at home where we've looked more solid generally even though he said horses for courses at the time.
He strikes me as someone who doesn't like to take risks, choosing his favourites, not playing kids earlier in the season, afraid to make substitutions if we're winning/drawing. I thought Saturday was crying out for an impact sub like Montero who'd been in good form with Swansea to dribble at their big defenders and potentially get a penalty but he never got on the pitch. I'd also like to have seen Johansen who sounds like the type of player we need although maybe his fitness kept him out along with the 5 loanee rule - I'd have left Tosin out. Barry was pressured into mistakes and Pulis knew exactly what to expect from us. Hopefully now that we have more options on the bench, they will be utilised to better effect during the remaining games.
I guess this year will be our best chance to get promoted for a while with older players leaving, loanees returning and sales of some of our high wage earners for whom we can get a transfer fee sold at the end of the season -  at least 3 I reckon from from Rondon, Rodrigues, Phillips, Livermore, Gibbs, Burke, Dawson, Hegazi. Any small amount in the transfer kitty will need to be better spent than Johnstone and Bartley to have any chance in the foreseeable. The powers that be will be well aware of this so it will be interesting to see if DM keeps his job if we don't make the play-offs. Overall, I think he's done a good job bringing the fans back with his positive approach, the players like him, fans are generally happy but the time has come to start making decisions to have a positive impact during games. If not and we don't make the play-offs, would you want him here next season?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2728 on: February 04, 2019, 06:20:04 AM »
One thing is for sure all opposition managers will be targeting our players receiving the ball from the keeper now, as they know that there will be mistakes. DM has to mix it up know
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2729 on: February 04, 2019, 06:46:35 AM »
I think we have a problem now. Darren has more players to choose from, and still wants to find places for Brunt and HRK.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2730 on: February 04, 2019, 07:00:06 AM »
To clarify my "white noise of bollox" comments. I can make that comment in defence of any coach not just Darren Moore. Football is not a game of chess which is controlled by the Coaches on the touchline. However some of the comments made here and elsewhere suggest that it is.

So for instance blaming the coach for errors made by the players in the heat of the moment is nonsensical. Football is a game that lends itself to mistakes but never the less a coach should expect a certain level of basic competence from any professional footballer if the footballer does not deliver that then that's the footballers fault. Steven Gerrard slipped Brendan Rodgers didn't nor could he stop Gerrard from slipping. There is a huge amount of randomness in football and when you put 22 players on the pitch stuff happens that nobody planned for.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2731 on: February 04, 2019, 07:48:32 AM »
To clarify my "white noise of bollox" comments. I can make that comment in defence of any coach not just Darren Moore. Football is not a game of chess which is controlled by the Coaches on the touchline. However some of the comments made here and elsewhere suggest that it is.

So for instance blaming the coach for errors made by the players in the heat of the moment is nonsensical. Football is a game that lends itself to mistakes but never the less a coach should expect a certain level of basic competence from any professional footballer if the footballer does not deliver that then that's the footballers fault. Steven Gerrard slipped Brendan Rodgers didn't nor could he stop Gerrard from slipping. There is a huge amount of randomness in football and when you put 22 players on the pitch stuff happens that nobody planned for.

You are referencing basic competence on a football pitch.

The evidence is that the Head Coach fails regularly to pick the correct players based on ability and then is reactive in terms of subs.

That is why there is "white noise" as you put it.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2732 on: February 04, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »

And to clarify my point
It’s not Bollox it’s quite a few people who all concur that for a variety of reasons it’s not happening and their view is valid

I agree with your point the gerrard and once theplayers are out there etc,but if they are continually set up to play from the back for instance,it will get found out (Saturday) and therefore put the players in a position to make mistakes .
Johnston is not looking good,Brunt is continually played and played in the wrong position,Barkley only came out due to suspension,Harper only came in due to injuries....the decisions that are made are enforced,very rarely does he make one voluntary and with positive impact .
If we beat Brighton and Bond makes it 3/3 cleansheets ...who do you think starts against Stoke ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2733 on: February 04, 2019, 09:35:36 AM »
You are referencing basic competence on a football pitch.

The evidence is that the Head Coach fails regularly to pick the correct players based on ability and then is reactive in terms of subs.

That is why there is "white noise" as you put it.
If this is true and he's constantly picking the wrong players, how are we 4th in the table?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but please tell, what 11 would you have picked on Saturday?

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2734 on: February 04, 2019, 10:28:31 AM »
If this is true and he's constantly picking the wrong players, how are we 4th in the table?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but please tell, what 11 would you have picked on Saturday?

you have low standards, why are we 7pts off the top? 

our quality sees us through in some games such as Bolton where we were average at best.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2735 on: February 04, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »
you have low standards, why are we 7pts off the top? 

our quality sees us through in some games such as Bolton where we were average at best.
You didn't answer the question though, what 11 would you have picked on Saturday?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2736 on: February 04, 2019, 10:51:13 AM »
you would think with this squad of players top two is a given
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2737 on: February 04, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »
you would think with this squad of players top two is a given
Sorry but who are these world beaters, we have at our disposal?
3 individual mistakes cost us on Saturday, which suggests the squad is not as good as some make out.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2738 on: February 04, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »
How many of Norwich, Leeds or Sheff Utd would you take?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2739 on: February 04, 2019, 11:38:20 AM »
How many of Norwich, Leeds or Sheff Utd would you take?
I don't know, I don't watch them every week. From what I have seen though, they look pretty decent so I'm sure they have players who would give the likes of Johnstone, Dawson, Livermore, Brunt, Rodriguez, Field, Harper, Barry, Kanu and Morrison a run for their money.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2740 on: February 04, 2019, 12:02:43 PM »
You didn't answer the question though, what 11 would you have picked on Saturday?

Looking forward to this

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2741 on: February 04, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »
Looking forward to this

I hope you are not holding your breath !
Albion Family !!!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2742 on: February 04, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »
Looking forward to this
Didn't realise this was a spectator sport

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2743 on: February 04, 2019, 12:16:11 PM »
Didn't realise this was a spectator sport
the sport of kings!!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2744 on: February 04, 2019, 12:17:02 PM »

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2745 on: February 04, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »
You didn't answer his question either. 15 all

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2746 on: February 04, 2019, 12:47:31 PM »

Because the league is full of dross, and individual performances, notably from Gayle, Barnes, and Phillips, have seen us overcome tactical issues to win games.

Leeds have lost 4 of their last 6, and we don't seem to be any closer to them than we were 6 games ago. 2 wins in 9 at home. He's really starting to look out of his depth. If the fans can continually see the problems, why can't he?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2747 on: February 04, 2019, 12:54:25 PM »
I'm a HUGE supporter of Darrens, however persisting with
a) Gayle out wide is just plain wrong, we are wasting perhaps our greatest asset.
b) Persisting with HRK who is not by any measure prolific or a provider is confusing to me
c) Keep putting CB in what is an alien position (over to you SmeDan) is suicidal and unfair on CB.

address these issues which you should be able to with the new guys and the fans should be supportive, or at least explain why you are persisting with confusing selections PLEASE.
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2748 on: February 04, 2019, 12:56:16 PM »
You didn't answer his question either. 15 all
Which one?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2749 on: February 04, 2019, 12:58:05 PM »
Because the league is full of dross, and individual performances, notably from Gayle, Barnes, and Phillips, have seen us overcome tactical issues to win games.

Leeds have lost 4 of their last 6, and we don't seem to be any closer to them than we were 6 games ago. 2 wins in 9 at home. He's really starting to look out of his depth. If the fans can continually see the problems, why can't he?
That's a worse record than ours, is Bielsa also out of his depth?