Author Topic: Paul Gascoigne  (Read 23566 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Paul Gascoigne
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/04/paul-gascoigne-hospital-addiction-treatment?CMP=twt_gu

The former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been admitted to a treatment centre in the United States.

The alcoholic former Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio and Newcastle United midfielder, 45, has "willingly" been admitted to an unnamed centre, his management company said on Monday night.

The move came after fears about the state of Gascoigne's health were renewed last week when he appeared unwell and shaking during a charity appearance in Northampton where he broke down sobbing on stage in front of a room full of fans.

In a statement GamePlan Solutions said Gascoigne had been touched by the help and support shown by fans and figures within football over the past few days: "Alcoholic Paul Gascoigne has been experiencing a tough time of late. He has been asking for help and has willingly been admitted to a treatment centre in America.

"He has complex issues that are currently being dealt with by professionals. Paul has been extremely touched and overwhelmed by the generous offers of help and support over the past few days.

"He is motivated to fully understand and control his addiction problem under guidance."

Hopefully he can make a recovery. I saw the video of him at the charity event and it was quite a struggle to watch. Certainly an unwell person and I hope he makes a quick recovery. Unfortunately, I was never able to see him play.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: Paul Gascoigne
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »
sad to see such a great player in the predicament he is in now. but why does he need to go to the States for treatment! is it because if he goes off the rails again the british press wont be there!

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »
I suppose the muppet will do what George Best did by getting a liver transplant then totally abuse it again.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:08:53 PM by the rainbow turn east »

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
It would not be a surprise to wake one morning to find stories of him having killed himself, meant or not. I think he has lead a deeply unhappy life, like many tried to mask it with humour, but struggled.

Sad as it may be, I doubt his story will have a happy ending.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:49 AM »
Celebrity pals get Gazza into US rehab centre
DJ Chris, Lineker and TV Piers pay for Paul's treatment

Troubled ...Gazza yesterday before jet dashSIMON JONES ExclusiveBy DAN SALES, NICK PARKER, ROBIN PERRIE and COLIN ROBERTSON Published: 8 hrs ago 
 ALCOHOLIC Paul Gascoigne has jetted to the US and admitted to a clinic after star friends led by DJ Chris Evans teamed up to pay for emergency rehab.
Evans, ex-Three Lions team-mate Gary Lineker, Britain’s Got Talent judge Piers Morgan and former England cricketer Ronnie Irani pledged a small fortune — as fans sent messages of support.

Old drinking pal Evans said: “It’s his only chance.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave messages of support below or email gazza@the-sun.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The friends fear time is running out for the frail football legend.

Radio 2 star Evans was among pals shocked by Gazza’s grim appearance and increasingly bizarre behaviour.

Former Newcastle, Spurs and Lazio ace Gazza, 45, was taped sobbing, slurring and swearing at a charity appearance.

Video:Paul Gascoigne's drunken charity appearanceSun ExclusiveSTUNNED fans watched frail soccer legend tremble uncontrollably and unleashed a torrent of swearwords

A source said: “Chris was deeply moved and decided to organise help straightaway. Everyone realised that if nothing was done Paul would be dead in a year.”

Evans — who enjoyed hell-raising nights with Gazza in the ’90s — contacted former Spurs striker Gary Lineker, TV’s Piers Morgan and ex-England cricketer Ronnie Irani. They are paying for £13,600 first class British Airways flights for Gazza and a carer as well as £6,000 a week for his treatment at the Meadows Rehabilitation Centre in Phoenix, Arizona.

Pals ... Chris Evans and Gazza

He is expected to stay “months, not weeks”.

As trembling Gazza jetted out from Heathrow, Evans said: “A serious addict can only be helped if they really want to be. It is my understanding that as of approximately ten o’clock Monday morning Paul asked for that help.

“Then and only then could a select group of his friends begin to put into operation the latest phase in a long fight to rid him of his demons. It’s his only chance — but at least now he’s going to get that chance.”

TalkSPORT presenter and former England cricketer Ronnie Irani last night spoke of how he and Radio 2 presenter Chris Evans, a long-term friend of Gascoigne, the football legend’s flight to the centre in Phoenix, Arizona.

Team-mate ... ace Gary Lineker

Irani also revealed the midfielder is struggling with life after what he described as “a mad six weeks”.

The radio presenter explained Gazza's recent behaviour drove him to seek help on the behalf of the former Tottenham and Lazio star.

He said: “I had a chat with [BBC radio DJ] Chris Evans and he just asked how we could help him

“We knew we just had to get him on this flight, out to the priory in Phoenix, we just had to get him on the plane.

“I called British Airways and explained the situation, that we had to get him out to Phoenix to get him some help. He needs it, and if not, who knows what’s going to happen?”

Irani revealed Gazza has received support from the Professional Footballers' Association which he has failed to take advantage of.

He added: "With Paul Gascoigne, I’ll be really honest with you, he’s had all the help he could possibly have right in front of him from the PFA.

“It’s tough. Mental health issues are a serious, serious subject.

“But sadly he’s not been able to help himself.

Support ... Paul Gascoigne and Piers Morgan
Rex
“So many people rang up yesterday to help Paul Gascoigne, like you could never believe, but the truth is he hasn’t been able to help himself.”

Britain’s Got Talent judge Morgan posted on Twitter last night: “Get well soon #Gazza — we’re all behind you. Anyone who knows Paul Gascoigne knows how desperate he is, and has been, to sort himself out.”

After his pitiful charity appearance last Thursday, Gazza spent a lonely weekend holed up in Boscombe, Dorset — leaving his flat to buy cans of lager and bottles of gin.

He has been attending Bournemouth-based rehab group Providence Projects. Two members are believed to have gone with him to Heathrow before one sat with him on the 11-hour flight. BA special services staff helped him to his seat.

Support ... Paul Gascoigne with pals
BNPS
Fellow passenger and TV exec Wayne Garvie described him as looking “tragic, pitiful and heartbreaking.”

Gazza’s spokesman said: “Alcoholic Paul Gascoigne has willingly been admitted to a treatment centre. He has been extremely touched by the generous offers of help.”

Possibly Englands best ever footballer
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
The addictions are simply the fall out from quite serious mental illness.

Until the mental illness is sorted out he will keep being drawn to substances to block it all out, i really fear for the bloke and its good to see people from when he was in demand are stepping in to help him from what seems like rock bottom.

Its no George Best situation, Gazza is seriously mentally ill.
I only go for the beer.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
I went to see Gazza at The Copthorne last year, he had been clean for 8 months at the time and was on the mend but he was still visibly just a shell of the legend he is. His voice was shaky, his clothes were too big for him and he mumbled and swore his way through it and that was Gazza clean, as Rowley says this is deeper than drink, drink is just his painkiller. Get to the root cause and they will save him, I really do hope it works for him as for me he was my idol growing up. I know he's not reading it but good luck Gazza!!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:38:46 AM »
Alot of it goes back to his childhood when his best mate was killed after falling down a mine shaft on a disused colliery they were playing on.

That flipped him up.
I only go for the beer.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
I think for lads like me of a certain age, Gazza was our hero. He was brilliant at football, could do things you didnt see other English players do (this was before massive european exposure) and he just played with that smile as though we was having a kickabout with his mates. He wasnt some exotic foreign superstar, he was an english lad who played the same way as lads everywhere and i think we all wanted to be Gazza!

As its been well reported he has had his problems and done some bad things in his time and isnt a saint (but who is) but you still very rarely hear anybody say a bad word about him and this latest situation and the support he has received i dont think another ex footballer would of get except Gazza.

He was the football genius who never grew up, he is meant to be one of the most generous people you could ever wish to meet and it seems along the way people have took advantage but good to see his old mates coming together now to give him a chance.

As Rowley says, it would seem its mental illness and the rest has followed on from that but i know he wouldnt ever read this but good luck Gazza, hope you beat the demons and one day fully understand how much you was and still are loved by football fans in this country.

Turkish baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »
Ain't bothered about this prat at all!
It must be at least 10yrs ago when I was in England, Steve Bull arranged a black tie do at a manor in Staffordshire for a charity which supported the parents of children very ill and the parents needed to stay with them! Great charity, amongst the guests, Steve Bull, Phil 'the power' Taylor of darts and Gascoigne. 

BRMB did the comparing and there was auctions etc, loads of money raised. Then it was relaxing time and my wife said she wanted to get the autograph of Phil Taylor and Steve Bull on the menu, not PG as she as always, even when he was playing, thought him a dickhead! Anyway when she went over and didn't ask him he was abusive to her, to the extent about coming to bed with him!!! He was inebriated!
My wife told me, I went over and Phil Taylor calmed me down and said PG was a prat and please could I leave this as the night would be spoilt. I did!

To me whether he lives or dies means nothing to me! Anyone, even a Albion player who would insult my wife is really on thin ice!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »
Did i hear as soon as he had landed he went to the Airport bar and was caught on camera necking a pint

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »
Did i hear as soon as he had landed he went to the Airport bar and was caught on camera necking a pint
He's an alcoholic, any chance he gets he will have a beer thats why he's gone for help.

reiss

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »

Hope Gazza makes a recovery,my dad also had a alcohaol addiction and he beat it.

so i hope Gazza does too

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
He was my idol as a youngster....what a player he was too i saw him from the very start at Newcastle and was mesmerised by him.

Such a shame

And Turkish what he did too your wife was awful but you have to remember this is a bi-polar mentally unstable alcoholic i bet before the drink came and during his heyday as a 23/24 year old he wouldnt have done that....its no apology for behaviour maybe but this guy needs help and we all know the great character that is underneath all that madness...

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
If I was Paul Gascoigne and someone chose to have Steve Bull's autograph over mine I'd be pretty miffed off n' all!
"This crack is really moreish."

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 09:04:33 AM »
Gascooigne as been troubled since he was a youngster.
He called on a lad to go out to play and his mother said alright just you look after him.
The lad ran into the road and was killed and it as haunted him ever since.
We all deal with death in our own way but at such a young age it damaged him imo.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »
Have you seen his latest picture.scary indeed

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
It's a crying shame. He used to be regarded as a hero up here in Durham, but even here he is now seen as a figure of pity. He used to be a figure of derision for a short period of time and many used to think he was a buffoon.

Now most people just hope the guy has some semblance of dignity left before he inevitably loses his battle with drink and dies. I think it's pretty certain that he won't see many more years and that's sad. It really is.

Another guy who had the wrong acquaintances and was largely abandoned by the community of football. It's about time we learned that we can't do this to people. Football is a terrible industry at times.

Having said that, he made his bed and took those choices. He might have had bad advice, but he was the guy who controlled his own fate and he let himself down. He can't blame everybody else for his situation, but there is an equal amount of blame, in my  opinion.
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

I guess I'm in love with West Brom...I have been for around 3 months now.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »
Not sure you can apportion blame for alcoholism it's a disease.

Hope Gazza keeps fighting.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 11:26:17 AM »
Not sure you can apportion blame for alcoholism it's a disease.

Hope Gazza keeps fighting.

True. I didn't mean to sound arrogant in that regard. I was merely intending to clarify that I wasn't going to suggest those around him had the responsibility to help him out. He had a responsibility to help himself.

But I do understand that alcoholism is a disease and that many people really struggle with it. I know that for various reasons. My uncle struggled for years. But he also took a great deal of support on board and that helped him to cope. Not recover, but cope.

Gazza hasn't taken that advice at times and sometimes the advice he has received has been lacklustre. Blame was the wrong word for me to use perhaps.

I really meant that it was waste of a talent and that all parties never really afforded themselves an opportunity to help. Chances weren't taken sufficiently and that is the most regrettable aspect.

Apologies for offence caused.
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

I guess I'm in love with West Brom...I have been for around 3 months now.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »
The most gifted English footballer in my time.I dont think anyone can help him, hes past help.Such a shame

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
Its a real shame how things have turned out for Gazza. I saw a photo off him this morning didn't realize it was him at first one of the most gifted players England has ever had.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
Theres a picture of him in the mail. Really sad to see him like that. Hope he finds the strength to beat his illness.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
Really guts me to see him like this...one of my footballing heroes.

I have too say though that he has had chance after chance to get past this but seems to fall off the wagon time and time again.

I really hope he gets past this but personally I think he will be dead within 5 years, if not the alcohol he will commit suicide as he has tried to on several occasions

Ive just finished reading finished reading Gazza My Story, had me howling in parts but too see him now really blots the copybook for me

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts