Author Topic: Roy Hodgson: The epitomy of modesty  (Read 8162 times)

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

Roy Hodgson: The epitomy of modesty
« on: August 27, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/08/27/shane-long-was-a-bargain-buy-for-west-brom-insists-hodgson-97319-29310781/

ROY Hodgson claims West Bromwich Albion’s hierarchy will be grateful for his summer-long pursuit of Shane Long, long after the manager has left the club.

The Albion boss feels the club secured a bargain - rather than an expensive signing - when they paid an initial fee of around £4million to Reading for the striker.

He has scored twice already, with Hodgson expecting more.

“I don’t think we can talk about big fees for people because we are still a Premier League club, along with 19 others so I find it hard to accept we paid a lot for him,” said Hodgson.

“We got Shane Long very cheaply in my view. There have been higher fees paid by this club. I think I have done a very good thing for the club.

“He wanted to work for me, which I’m flattered about, and I think I’ve done the club an enourmous service.

“There will be people thanking me for the signature of Shane Long, long after I’ve gone.

“He will go onto be an even better player who will score many goals.”

Hodgson has admitted that he still isn’t sure about Long’s partner for Sunday's game against Stoke, adding: “I will liaise with the medical department regarding Peter Odemwingie.

“I regard him as a starting player, but then Somen Tchoyi has done well and both Marc-Antoine Fortuné and Simon Cox exceeded my expectations during the week too.”

;D
Thou shalt not maketh jokes. This used to be the best board, I'd ever been on.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Roy Hodgson: The epitomy of modesty
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 04:53:28 PM »
 :D I think he wanted everybody to know Long was his signing. He has though given Ashworth lots of credit this summer so we know they have worked as a team this summer.
Boing Boing

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »
I have no problem with what he says. Just as long as we do the business.

40 points by Xmas please Roy!  ;D

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
That bit about us thanking him for Long after Roy is gone worries me....  Is Roy thinking he won't be here in a year or two?!  :'(
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »
Eye on the England job, ay he.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
Id be very surprised if Hodgson gets the England job after failing to make the step up at Liverpool. Redknapp needs to really fluff up this season to not get the England job after Capello leaves.
Boing Boing

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
Roy talks a lot doesn't he. I think I will have to turn a dear ear now and then or I'll get annoyed.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »
He certainly is more media-friendly than RDM ever was. Still, can that only ever be a good thing for everyone?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »
Id be very surprised if Hodgson gets the England job after failing to make the step up at Liverpool. Redknapp needs to really fluff up this season to not get the England job after Capello leaves.

problem is Baggies he is a experienced manager also a quite spoken easy going but more importantly is not going to rock the FA boat.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:20 PM »
He certainly is more media-friendly than RDM ever was. Still, can that only ever be a good thing for everyone?

Not when he talks out his backside. Roy is a good manager but he has his ideas about how things should be done, still his point of view and methods are one way, there are many different ways to achieve the same objectives. Roy is set on his own way for better and for worse. His methods to me look a bit dated and stiff (eg 442) but I am sure they work for him as they are based on his vast experience. But I don't like it when he starts to ride his hobby horses and proclaim them to be the best way to do things. He has a bit of an ego does Roy, as is clear from that interview. Roy is not necessarily God's gift to football (or West Brom).

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »
I would love it if he got the England job , i would feel quite proud that one of our managers has gone on to manage England, my biggest worry is that we will give Appleton the job when he hasen't managed in the lower leagues and he has no experience ???
BOING BOING

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »
He knows his record stands up against most, you listen to similar experienced managers they all talk and act the same.

One things for sure the players will respect Roy alot more than someone with little experience and it shows.

However some have mentioned Appleton potentially replacing him if/when he does go, if he has learnt from Hodgson then it could be a good appointment as the he will be respected also due to the time period he has worked at the club

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »
Appy has even less experience of being a manager than RdM had. Can't see us repeat signing an unexperienced leader/manager if we remain in the PL.

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 06:01:12 PM »
Well, lets hope Shane Long turns out to be a velly velly good signing Roy! ;D

jjb0rdell0

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »
If Roy leaves at the end of the season, we stay up comfortably, and Everton don't get a cash injection...id put a sneaky tenner on us going for Moyes...

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 06:11:51 PM »
Appy has even less experience of being a manager than RdM had. Can't see us repeat signing an unexperienced leader/manager if we remain in the PL.

Theres a difference though as Appleton is approaching a decade at the club this experience would help him if he has learnt under Roy for 18 months.

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
If Roy leaves at the end of the season, we stay up comfortably, and Everton don't get a cash injection...id put a sneaky tenner on us going for Moyes...

And I would

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
Moyes to us ,

No Chance!
BOING BOING

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
The most important signing for us is the manager. If we tied roy down on a 3/4 year deal i'd be more over the moon than any other signing this year... and we have made some crackers! Don't think it will happen somehow.

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »
Moyes to us ,

No Chance!

Bit like Roy 12 months ago?

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »
Bit like Roy 12 months ago?

Moyes will not leave Everton for us, and i cant see JP paying 5 million or even more for compensation , Moyes next job will be for a top 4 team . Actually see him becoming the next Arsenal manager sooner rather than later or even Man U but he will have to wait a while for that one
BOING BOING

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
Shocked to see that people think that Moyes is a possibility.

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 06:39:04 PM »
I'm guessing the club would be scouting a potential future manager as soon as Hodgson joined the club, I remember hearing Ashworth say that's how the club works?

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 06:43:15 PM »
I think the Appleton issue will be problematical when Roy leaves (unless that's a long time coming)

Appy is ambitious and won't appreciate not being propelled into the top seat, but his lack of no 1 experience would be a major concern for me

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 06:43:59 PM »
Shocked to see that people think that Moyes is a possibility.

I'm shocked at all these people who apparently can read the future with an accuracy rating of 100%.