Author Topic: 14 Aug 2018 Albion 1 Luton Town 0 (Carabao Cup 1)  (Read 31056 times)

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2018, 10:55:19 PM »
I think this is the Graham Jones effect starting to happen tonight with the trialing of this formation.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »
I think that was pretty good considering.

I was really surprised to see Big Dave go three at the back, credit to him for that. We adapted to it well considering.

First half was quite even. Luton never really threatened except when Adarobioyo completely lost his man and they missed a decent chance after about 25 mins. We dominated much of the second half. Everyone played OK except Robson - Kanu. If those chances had fallen to a decent striker we'd have won by more than the odd goal.

Of the youngsters I thought Harper did really well and Edwards looked promising when he came on. Field did really well at left centre back considering he's a midfielder and it was nice to see Burke get his goal, should give him confidence.

Good nights work all round.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2018, 11:26:55 PM »
Winning mentality carried into the home game against QPR on Saturday too which is good

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2018, 11:59:42 PM »
What a difference a centre-midfield partnership that actually wanted to go forward made! Thought Morrison and Harper looked pretty good together actually.

Other positives included some great passing moves starting from Myhil and ended in a chance, Townsend's enterprising performance at left wing back and Burke looking a bit more decisive in front of goal.

Hopefully we can carry this on into the QPR game.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2018, 12:19:34 AM »
I wrote a blog about tonight's game, but overall I think we looked half decent, although I'm convinced a better team would have knocked us out. Great finish by Burke. He surely has to start ahead of Kanu on Saturday.

One thing I noticed that baffled me...DM constantly calling players to give them instructions. I know as the game progresses instructions need to be passed on for any changes, but the constant calling throughout? Surely that's going to distract a player. When you're trying to defend, you're not going to look over at the gaffer to see what he's saying, so not sure why he did this throughout. Break in play/throw in etc fair enough, but when chasing back or running with the ball? I'm not sure.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2018, 12:57:53 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BPR01hWBp8

yeah HRK definitely wasted some goals

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2018, 06:52:28 AM »
Nice to see the kids get a game and perform.
Edwards and Harper looked like real talent, Field we already know about. Leko needs to pass the ball instead of doing another step over.
Oh and on that performance HRK wouldn't get into the Luton team. Sorry but he needs upgrading and quick.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

mig

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
Really pleased to hear positive reviews of Harper. Hopefully DM won't be afraid to give him game time in the league.

Burke sounds like he could/should jump above HRK in the strikers pecking order, but id still like to see him given more game time on the wing (by moving Barnes to no.10).

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2018, 08:31:35 AM »
Overall a positive night.

In to the next round.
Clean sheet (by the way - anyone else think Myhill looked slimmer)
Trying to play the right way
Plenty of minutes for the youth
New formation - has GJ had an impact on this trial?
Goal for Burke
Burke looks as though he could be used up top

On to Saturday!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »
Overall a positive night.

In to the next round.
Clean sheet (by the way - anyone else think Myhill looked slimmer)
Trying to play the right way
Plenty of minutes for the youth
New formation - has GJ had an impact on this trial?
Goal for Burke
Burke looks as though he could be used up top

On to Saturday!!

Given that we only have Nyom at the club as a recognised right back he will be needed for Saturday. Adarobioyo had to play at centre back because Dawson is unavailable and both Bartley and Hegazi will start against QPR so both played 45 minutes rather than one of them having to play the full ninety. We had no-one who could play right back that I think is what caused the switch to three at the back. Field playing on the left side allowed Harper and Morrison to get game time in midfield.

Had we played 4 at the back we would've had to play Nyom I suspect and Big Dave clearly didn't want to use anyone he will be starting with on Saturday the possible exception being Conor Townsend if Gibbs is still injured. Townsend hasn't had much game time so should be OK Tuesday / Saturday. I could see Sam Field on the bench as left back cover for Townsend if Gibbs fails to make it.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2018, 10:00:52 AM »

Given that we only have Nyom at the club as a recognised right back he will be needed for Saturday. Adarobioyo had to play at centre back because Dawson is unavailable and both Bartley and Hegazi will start against QPR so both played 45 minutes rather than one of them having to play the full ninety. We had no-one who could play right back that I think is what caused the switch to three at the back. Field playing on the left side allowed Harper and Morrison to get game time in midfield.

Had we played 4 at the back we would've had to play Nyom I suspect and Big Dave clearly didn't want to use anyone he will be starting with on Saturday the possible exception being Conor Townsend if Gibbs is still injured. Townsend hasn't had much game time so should be OK Tuesday / Saturday. I could see Sam Field on the bench as left back cover for Townsend if Gibbs fails to make it.

That makes a lot of sense about field, perhaps he might even have a crack at left back if Nyom is injured.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »

He took it seriously...

If we'd lost, and we may well have against a better team, then people would be saying something very different.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »
What a pleasure it was to see an Albion team play with pace, movement, skill, and technique, for a change. Some of those young lads are very good.

Field grew into his role as the game went on. I have long advocated English teams learning to play midfielders in a back three when playing teams that they are expected to dominate possession against - it helps to control the game and play out from the back. I was initially hesitant seeing Sam playing the role however, but he really improved, especially second half.

Harper was very good in midfield, as was Edwards when he came on. It wasn't just their touch and technique, it was that they knew when and where to move, although obviously inexperience cost a couple of times. Leko was useful when he came on, but we lost a bit of momentum by taking Barnes off.

I just wish they had a striker who understood about positioning and movement, and didn't have to carry Robson-Kanu.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2018, 12:50:23 PM »
What a pleasure it was to see an Albion team play with pace, movement, skill, and technique, for a change. Some of those young lads are very good.

Field grew into his role as the game went on. I have long advocated English teams learning to play midfielders in a back three when playing teams that they are expected to dominate possession against - it helps to control the game and play out from the back. I was initially hesitant seeing Sam playing the role however, but he really improved, especially second half.

Harper was very good in midfield, as was Edwards when he came on. It wasn't just their touch and technique, it was that they knew when and where to move, although obviously inexperience cost a couple of times. Leko was useful when he came on, but we lost a bit of momentum by taking Barnes off.

I just wish they had a striker who understood about positioning and movement, and didn't have to carry Robson-Kanu.

Good post until we get to the Leko bit. Leko is what Leko does, beats a man with a trick ........ then ............ yeah exactly nothing constructive at all.

Me, I'd sell him, not good enough, never will be not for Premier League or Championship level. Field and Burke are best of the youngsters, Harper very close behind, Edwards getting there. Leko, forget it.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »
Did that Luton right back we were interested in play, if so how was he?

Yes he did play, he was anonymous, got nothing from Field and Townsend.

Was surprised with the amount of kids selected but they all performed well. Harper seemed a bit nervous in the first half but grew into the game and generally played well. Edwards was great when he came on at half time very direct and looking to get the ball in, also wasn't shy of a tackle....might be worth trying as a RB, if Nyom continues in his current vein of form until we can bring in a proper RB.
Sam Field was very good positive with the ball and got stuck in. Townsend; another good display to complement the 45 mins he got at Norwich.

Tosin looked better at centre half than at RB and was pretty calm on the ball.

Leko was lively but as an earlier poster said, he needs to concentrate on getting the ball in rather than doing fancy flicks and step overs. Personally I would have used the last sub to bring on Gayle for HRK.

Burke played well and I'm pleased he got his goal, hope the ankle knock isn't going to be anything serious. Looked like the suffered a jarring shock when he kicked the ball at the same time as a Luton defender.

Over all really pleased by the performances of the youngsters and the most important thing is we are in the next round! Really hope we get moved into the Northern Section too!

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Tonights Attendance
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
While 10K is about normal for a league cup game it does make it hard to create any kind of atmosphere to support the players, especially when we played so many youngsters.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Are there any cup highlights programms ?
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »
I believe there is a league cup show on Quest.  Weds evening at 10:30.

Indeed it is,  a full 90 minute programme too.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Match Highlights
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2018, 05:09:03 PM »
Apologies, forgot to upload this one:

https://vimeo.com/285516268

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Match Highlights
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »
Thank you!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Match Highlights
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2018, 07:39:59 PM »
Thanks, an improvement on the 10 seconds I caught on Sky