Author Topic: Crop Of Youngsters 2018  (Read 19598 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Crop Of Youngsters 2018
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 09:27:36 AM »
i always worry that other clubs will snap up our youth players without us trying them in the first team. we then see the player shine elsewhere and then have regrets! Roofe/Wood being examples of other sides that have benefited

You say they've shined, but neither has shone at Premier League level, which is where we've been for the last several seasons.

I'm a big fan of giving the kids a chance, but we haven't recently let a player go who has gone on to bigger and better things.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 09:37:54 AM »
I'm a big fan of giving the kids a chance, but we haven't recently let a player go who has gone on to bigger and better things.

Berahino is certainly bigger, not so sure about better, mind.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
Berahino is certainly bigger, not so sure about better, mind.
.    How about Chris Wood he was one of our own now he's playing Europa league football.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
.    How about Chris Wood he was one of our own now he's playing Europa league football.

When we sold him after a string of successful Championship loan spells (a goal every 3 or 4 games) he struggled to get in the Leicester team as a regular and we had Odemwingie, Long and Lukaku at the time. Moving away made him the player he is, had we kept him for the 4 years it took him to get back to the Premier League he'd most likely have faded away through lack of game time etc.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »
How about Chris Wood he was one of our own now he's playing Europa league football.
He wasn't entirely a product of our academy as we signed him from New Zealand when he was around 17.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »
i always worry that other clubs will snap up our youth players without us trying them in the first team. we then see the player shine elsewhere and then have regrets! Roofe/Wood being examples of other sides that have benefited
Those 2 are definitely the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority disappear into lower league obscurity or worse.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 06:36:46 PM »
Keep seeing that Walsall are desperate for players- we should use this to our advantage.

Kane Wilson got 20odd games in league 2 last year, a year long loan there would be beneficial for him. Also think leko should go there for 6 months if not a year he's lost his way and needs game time.

Is young Harper going to play much this year? He's another candidate for a loan
O Albion we love you

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2018, 10:31:55 AM »
I would only keep Edwards and Field for the forthcoming season. If we are in the market for a right back (Tom James, Jack Stacey) then i would look at getting Kane Wilson out for a year.

I'd look to get Leko and Harper out until January to see how they do and bring them back for the last half of the season if they impress.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »
I would only keep Edwards and Field for the forthcoming season. If we are in the market for a right back (Tom James, Jack Stacey) then i would look at getting Kane Wilson out for a year.

I'd look to get Leko and Harper out until January to see how they do and bring them back for the last half of the season if they impress.

Spot on.

Include Palmer into that. I would also potentially look at sending Nathan Ferguson out on loan, seems highly rated within the club so be good to get him some gametime somewhere.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 01:42:09 PM »
Chris Wood, Saido Berahino, Izzy Brown, Jerome Sinclair, Yan Dhanda, Romaine Sawyers, Tyler Roberts, Keemar Roofe and George Thorne.

9 academy products all currently registered for clubs sitting in a higher place than us in the footballing pyramid at the moment. It id esrly days of course and that could change, but knowing how we have still not made much money from, or had much success in integrating academy players so far, it is a bit depressing to look at where we sit at the moment.
Boing Boing

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »
Academy players banging in goals for respective countries Roger's 3 for England, Barry 2 for Ireland with Ferguson, Harper and Field getting game time.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Looks like Louie Barry will be another in the Grealish, Rice, Ireland and England debate.

Scored 10 in 5 for England earlier this year.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
I can't see us keeping Morgan Rogers, he's regarded as a huge talent. One of the stars of a very talented England under 17 team. 

I don't really see what we can offer him if a big club comes in for him. He need only look at Field and Harper to see meaningful gametime isn't going to be offered.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 03:18:50 PM »
I can't see us keeping Morgan Rogers, he's regarded as a huge talent. One of the stars of a very talented England under 17 team. 

I don't really see what we can offer him if a big club comes in for him. He need only look at Field and Harper to see meaningful gametime isn't going to be offered.
we can point at Tosin Adarabioyo... a big club won’t get you meaningful game time either.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 03:57:24 PM »
we can point at Tosin Adarabioyo... a big club won’t get you meaningful game time either.

We have to reference Izzy Brown, Yan Dhanda, Scott Sinclair. All left and arguably no further forward than they would have been had they stayed. None had any sort of meaningful breakthrough with Liverpool or Chelsea, and two have already left those clubs on permanent deals.

When Izzy committed at 16 then u-turned, the club supposedly put something in place to stop that happening again. I'm not sure what that is since the player supposedly can't sign until 17 but they said they had done it.

Its important we get players like Field minutes this year though, to prove there is a route.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 06:26:13 PM »
Crop of young talent coming through so who ever is in charge of getting players to sign first professional contract will be busy  :D

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
Our u15s/U16s have a couple of the best players in the world for their age groups. Nathan Ferguson is starting for England U19s and he only turns 18 next month. Field and Harper in the England set up as well. Leko and Edwards clearly still have the potential based on their Carabao cup performances.

The future looks bright, but it's imperative we get Rogers and Barry signed up to pro contracts.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 08:16:24 PM »
Our u15s/U16s have a couple of the best players in the world for their age groups. Nathan Ferguson is starting for England U19s and he only turns 18 next month. Field and Harper in the England set up as well. Leko and Edwards clearly still have the potential based on their Carabao cup performances.

The future looks bright, but it's imperative we get Rogers and Barry signed up to pro contracts.
which isn’t possible for another year or so, they are too young.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »
We have to reference Izzy Brown, Yan Dhanda, Scott Sinclair. All left and arguably no further forward than they would have been had they stayed. None had any sort of meaningful breakthrough with Liverpool or Chelsea, and two have already left those clubs on permanent deals.

If someone at the academy isn't drilling this concept into them they are being remiss.

We could really do with a youth teamer landing a first XI position. That would help alot
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »
If someone at the academy isn't drilling this concept into them they are being remiss.

We could really do with a youth teamer landing a first XI position. That would help alot

We had one, he’s now at stoke.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 10:46:07 PM »
We had one, he’s now at stoke.

He’s also useless and has not been missed one jot!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 08:58:21 AM »

When Izzy committed at 16 then u-turned, the club supposedly put something in place to stop that happening again. I'm not sure what that is since the player supposedly can't sign until 17 but they said they had done it.

Its important we get players like Field minutes this year though, to prove there is a route.

Think you mean Jerome Sinclair. Your general point is pretty much spot on I think though.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »
Players who aren't getting much/any game time in the first time need to be playing 90 minutes for the U23s, as they're steadily losing their match fitness and sharpness week by week through not playing.

When they do eventually get on the pitch, their lack of action currently will impact on their effectiveness, and make them look like they're of worse quality than they probably would have done had they been in action regularly. When you're rusty, taking your opportunity is more difficult.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »
Players who aren't getting much/any game time in the first time need to be playing 90 minutes for the U23s, as they're steadily losing their match fitness and sharpness week by week through not playing.

When they do eventually get on the pitch, their lack of action currently will impact on their effectiveness, and make them look like they're of worse quality than they probably would have done had they been in action regularly. When you're rusty, taking your opportunity is more difficult.
It would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind our more developed youngsters not playing in the under 23's. Must be something behind it - maybe they think Field, Harper and co should be playing higher level than under 23s or maybe they prioritise the development of younger players as there is a policy of playing youngsters out of their age group.
With the number of games in the Championship, we should be using the Carabao Cup and FA Cup to give Field, Harper, Leko, Edwards all those games regardless of who we are playing and how far we've progressed. They are very close to the 1st team anyway and hopefully they'll get chance to play half dozen games in the 1st team this season.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2018, 12:56:33 AM »
Thought Darren would have used a couple of youngsters in league by now, Qpr the game was won 30 minutes from the end so he could easily have introduced 3 Young players in that game.