Author Topic: 19 Mar 2016 Albion 0 Norwich City 1  (Read 51968 times)

botters

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2016, 08:56:21 AM »
I don't know why we are so surprised I have supported Albion for 50 years and we have always had this weakness where we lose to lower teams in the league than us even when we had the great teams of the 60's and late 70's/early eighties, we have not been ruthless enough to beat inferior teams.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2016, 09:09:41 AM »
Another very poor performance in what has been a very poor season. Every time we look like moving forward we take one almighty leap backward. This one was on a par with most of the games this season, truly awful, how we've got to 39 points is beyond me but we have, will prob be safe, although no doubt we will make hard work of it.

On the plus side, we can no longer finish bottom, so every cloud eh!

To say it has been a very poor season is an over reaction again to our first defeat at home this year, the reason we have got 39 points is that we have a good record of picking up points against some of the better teams in the league as Pulis seems to get the players motivated for these games but against the likes of Villa, Norwich and Bournemouth we are flat and appear not to be motivated for these games.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2016, 09:31:29 AM »
No shots on target against the team who have failed to keep a clean sheet on their travels all season.
Waste of an afternoon. 8 more to go.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
A poor game all round. Norwich came and played a defensive 442 against us who also play a defensive 442 so it was never going to be a great spectacle. One of out weaknesses is taking the game to and breaking down the opposition. This stems from a lack of creativity in the middle of te park and a lack of ball playing ability. We would have had a much better chance with Brunt in at left back and Evans in at centre back as both can play the ball out from the back, obviously with Brunt injured this wasn't an option. When a team sets up like this against us, we do really need width and width from the full backs at that. Although he would never play him, to win the game yesterday, Pocognoli would have been a much better option; Pulis did have the right idea with McLean but his crossing was poor.

Posters saying we struggle against the teams below us in the table, yes, we do. We are not a team set up to break sides down, we are a solid team first and foremost who have been doing well recently utilising space for Rondon to run into and Berahino to support. Teams below us don't often allow us that space, they sit back, wait for a mistake and counter. They know we lack creativity and ball playing ability. That's the reason why we do not do as well, nothing to do with effort or application.

Finally, we have been a defensive it counter attacking team for years. We certainly were under Hodgson although he found ways to vary the approach a little more than Pulis, we certainly were better at counter attacking under Di Matteo and Clarke too. You have to go back to Mowbray when this wasn't the case. There's nothing wrong with being a counter attacking side but you need either a couple of outstanding individuals (like Leicester) or a manager with clever ideas and a squad with good options to flit between a side that just counter attacks and one that can break teams down.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »
It can only work playing Pulis football, when everyone puts in 100%,everyone is 100% discipline , we keep a clean sheet, and then if we are lucky we can nick a 1-0. Today was partly the players fault as half looked as if they had summer holidays on their mind.
There just isn't enough quality or creativity on the team to dig us out if things go wrong. And no width in the team. No proper wingers or wing backs. Apart from McLean later on. Sessegnon cuts inside too much , Evans is a good centre back , but no way can he offer width going forward, and Gardner is a holding midfielder, not a wideman. Result is the team is too bunched together, getting in each others way  in the middle.

To any Norwich fans reading this. Don't get carried away. You would have been beaten by any side putting in a half decent performance.

Your right and think this highlights just how poor TP is tactically. If you created a system which only ever works when everything is going perfect all the time then either your daft or delusional.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2016, 10:05:41 AM »
To say it has been a very poor season is an over reaction again to our first defeat at home this year, the reason we have got 39 points is that we have a good record of picking up points against some of the better teams in the league as Pulis seems to get the players motivated for these games but against the likes of Villa, Norwich and Bournemouth we are flat and appear not to be motivated for these games.
It's only my opinion but we have had a fair amount of luck to get to where we are, eg, the Everton, Newcastle, Arsenal wins and others where we had a lucky break. It's all fine margins. Maybe it's frustration at the dross and dire grinding out performances for the last three seasons or maybe it's generally just felt like hard work this season.

I doubt very much that anyone else could do better than Pulis to be fair, we seem to have a bunch of players who talk the talk but rarely walk the walk and more and more matches are like this.

It's not an over reaction, just my opinion, yes we haven't lost this year at home and yes it's a points driven business and yes survival is paramount but the Hawthorns is like a morgue this season so I'm not the only one totally bored out my mind and frustrated with it all.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
I think there are few slightly separate issues highlighted by yesterday's performance. 

1. There is the negative approach of the coach and frankly we could have won or drawn that game and it would not have been any more uplifting. If it was a one off or we could draw on anything other than a handful of games that have been different then maybe you shrug your shoulders and go "oh well" but unfortunately with Pulis you feel it is normal service has been resumed.

2. Mid-table teams are there because they lack the quality and or the consistency to push beyond it. You often preface comments about their players with the phrase "on his day" whereas you don't use that phrase too often when describing the players that populate the teams that generally occupy the upper reaches of the table. For a team like Albion to have 4 or 5 players somewhat below par usually means one thing and that is defeat and that is what happened yesterday.

3. The over riding focus on forty points and survival for us is self limiting and once we get there the players mentally switch off and we often put in a few shocking performances in the immediate aftermath of getting to that goal. It is not just this year but pretty much every year since we returned to the Premier League, from the no show at Wolves in Roy's first season through the Clarke slump and the appalling performances that followed our securing of top flight football under Mel.

Incidentally it is not just us but countless teams that have hit the beach as soon as they think they are safe and have had poor ends to seasons which were otherwise quite promising.

4. There are players in the squad that need replacing but we shouldn't judge them on yesterday's performance because frankly you would keep Yacob and let the rest go but it did highlight how far out of favour some players are with Pulis and the extent to which the squad might be reshaped over the summer.     
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2016, 12:54:43 PM »
I think we were out pulisised today , they tried their hardest not to lose it and we tried our hardest to make sure they did not , that was one pathetic performance, the winner was comical to say the least, but to be honest it always looked like it was going to be that way, i'm afraid you Norwich fans are still probably going down because you will not meet any other sides as poor and as generous as us on the run in despite the point you got from City, but if it does inspire you to survive fair play to you.
as for we are concerned I am sure there will be a couple more surprising results for us around the corner and although they will absolutely make sure we are safe they will not be pretty, I am only glad that I only have to go to Sunderland as the rest of the away games with the exception pf Bournemouth are on the TV so I can save myself some time and money roll on the end of the season, then maybe we will get the players in we need to improve on this season

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
A poor performance and a rubbish game between two poor teams.

The onus was on us to have a go and break them down and yet again we didn't have a clue what to do. Our attacking play in those situations is far too predictable. The reason we do so well against those better teams is because it allows us to soak up pressure and stifle the game.

Can't say anybody can come out of yesterday with any credit.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »
A poor performance and a rubbish game between two poor teams.

The onus was on us to have a go and break them down and yet again we didn't have a clue what to do. Our attacking play in those situations is far too predictable. The reason we do so well against those better teams is because it allows us to soak up pressure and stifle the game.

Can't say anybody can come out of yesterday with any credit.
Yacob and Evans.
In my mind, the only two who seem to put an effort in.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
Think we can look forward to 'Beach' football for the rest of the season ???.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2016, 07:24:15 PM »
Another very poor performance in what has been a very poor season. Every time we look like moving forward we take one almighty leap backward. This one was on a par with most of the games this season, truly awful, how we've got to 39 points is beyond me but we have, will prob be safe, although no doubt we will make hard work of it.

On the plus side, we can no longer finish bottom, so every cloud eh!
Tad harsh this. Looking good to achieve over 40 points and with a couple of wins should finish 12th I think. Yes it's been disappointing at times(what's new) buy we are effectively safe now. Like many other teams around us, we lack consistency, but if anyone else said we'd be 2 points behind Chelsea and probably ahead of Everton(with their extra game) id snap your hand off.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2016, 07:36:28 PM »
Why again all this negativity over reaction on this site when we beat Man Utd and over reaction now when we lose to Norwich. We look at the last game and consider the season to be very poor, lets look at Newcastle and Villa for example who have spent far more than us on transfer fees and wages and look where they are, that is what you consider to be a very poor season. I feel that we comfortably will reach mid 40's points which would be a satisfactory season. Look at Manchester City today, very poor performance, every team in the premier league with probably the exception of Leicester and Spurs have had poor performance's. I feel that we need to take a balanced view of our season rather than harping on about some poor performance's/results.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2016, 09:08:44 AM »
Had a 6 match accumulator. 5 matches won. Guess who let me down?

Effing useless.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2016, 09:13:37 AM »
Why again all this negativity over reaction on this site when we beat Man Utd and over reaction now when we lose to Norwich. We look at the last game and consider the season to be very poor, lets look at Newcastle and Villa for example who have spent far more than us on transfer fees and wages and look where they are, that is what you consider to be a very poor season. I feel that we comfortably will reach mid 40's points which would be a satisfactory season. Look at Manchester City today, very poor performance, every team in the premier league with probably the exception of Leicester and Spurs have had poor performance's. I feel that we need to take a balanced view of our season rather than harping on about some poor performance's/results.

I thought Man City's performance yesterday exactly matched our game on Saturday. Absolutely bossed it, until a mistake from Demishelis gifted Utd the goal, then couldn't get back ito it.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
I thought Man City's performance yesterday exactly matched our game on Saturday. Absolutely bossed it, until a mistake from Demishelis gifted Utd the goal, then couldn't get back ito it.

But they have spent a bit more money than us!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2016, 12:47:47 PM »
don't think he ever finished higher than 11th at  stoke, a club with far more money to throw at it than albion. can only see survival being the aim  for us and sadly that's irrelevant who the coach is.
Perhaps he thinks if we finish too high, we will get ideas above our station and look for a more modern progressive manager. Whereby, if he restricts us to 12th-17th, he can convince JP that we will still be in the relegation fight next year, so he is, obviously, the best man for the job!
Maybe Palace changed his targets for season 2 and that's why he did a runner. :o

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2016, 12:55:07 PM »
But they have spent a bit more money than us!

I'm agreeing with you, when you suggest it's an over reaction to single out Saturdays game as a reflection of our season as a whole.
Although the pace of play on Saturday was pretty pedestrian, we were the only team that was going to win, until we conceded the goal.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #243 on: March 21, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
quite possibly the most disrespectful away bunch all season
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #244 on: March 21, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »
Had a 6 match accumulator. 5 matches won. Guess who let me down?

Effing useless.
The best bit of advice my dad gave me more than 40 years ago was never bet on the Albion!!! I never have!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #245 on: March 21, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
I'm agreeing with you, when you suggest it's an over reaction to single out Saturdays game as a reflection of our season as a whole.
Although the pace of play on Saturday was pretty pedestrian, we were the only team that was going to win, until we conceded the goal.

How do you work that out? We had 0 shots on target and never looked like troubling the keeper. No one deserved to win that game until our defence gifted them.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #246 on: March 21, 2016, 08:07:40 PM »
Not entirely unexpected result now they know they are safe but the performance was nothing short of disgusting. Only player that came out of the game with any credit in my view was Yacob, the rest of them were pathetic and there are absolutely no excuses.

I don't blame Pulis for the defeat at all but his decision to drop Chester instead of Olsson for Evans was a joke.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #247 on: March 21, 2016, 08:15:02 PM »
Not entirely unexpected result now they know they are safe but the performance was nothing short of disgusting. Only player that came out of the game with any credit in my view was Yacob, the rest of them were pathetic and there are absolutely no excuses.

I don't blame Pulis for the defeat at all but his decision to drop Chester instead of Olsson for Evans was a joke.
if I was chester I would definitely want a transfer, he played well enough in the previous two matches to keep his place and like you say he should have dropped Olsson for evans. Olsson has been very poor for about a month now anyway.