Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662031 times)

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1075 on: January 11, 2020, 09:25:26 PM »
Whilst Johnstone could have done better, serious questions about the defending should be asked in the first place, he should never have been allowed to win the header

It was a stupid free quick to give away from Semi to start off with, he went right through the back of their player, he was never going to win it, even worse when you consider he was already booked. We never set up properly to defend it, allowed the cross to come in unchallenged and the player headed it unchallenged with a very mediocre attempt from Johnstone to save the header, I wouldn't call it a howler but it wasn't the best.

Both the goals we conceded were abysmal defensively with Semi Ajayi being largely culpable.

When you consider where we are in the league this season or even last season, our record for clean sheets is shameful, especially at home. If I was a keeper I'd be embarrassed to have his clean sheet record and he has presided over that unfortunately for him.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1076 on: January 11, 2020, 10:10:18 PM »
Really not convinced he should be our number one...

Happy when we signed him - 20 odd clean sheets with the Claret and Poo - but that depends how the ten others in front of him can defend as a team...

Time to give Bond a decent run between the sticks...been impressed (and more confident of a shut out) when he has featured for us...

Bond, Jonathan Bond, licensed to save... 8)
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1077 on: January 11, 2020, 10:58:11 PM »
Crosses are the biggest problem, of course for the defenders as well but he is so slow at diving and seems to get beaten too many times by just decent efforts. Been fairly busy lately which has seen some good saves but on the whole it’s a big concern area.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1078 on: January 11, 2020, 11:06:54 PM »
You know when you watch other keepers come for a cross, keep their feet up and the forwards are scared to go near them....that’s what we need
This keeper is useless
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1079 on: January 11, 2020, 11:07:16 PM »
3 words..
Got to be dropped.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1080 on: January 11, 2020, 11:10:37 PM »
3 words..
Got to be dropped.
That’s definitely 4
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1081 on: January 11, 2020, 11:12:30 PM »
That’s definitely 4

I was waiting for someone to pull him up on it  :P

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1082 on: January 12, 2020, 12:15:32 AM »
It's time for Johnstone to be pulled out of the team. It seems we've tried to persist with him in the hope that starting consistency breeds performance consistency and it's frankly just not happening.

He can do a close range reaction stop? ok cool, i'd expect every keeper at this level to be able to do that, but he's poor at judging anything from mid to long range; has no command of his 6 yard box; can't pass the ball; has no sense of positioning and lastly; he does not instill any confidence for his defenders or indeed the fans either which creates a nervy undertone for our backline at all times.

Whether it be Bond, Al Habsi or buying a new keeper, something needs to change otherwise we won't be going up with this disaster waiting to happen continuing between the sticks because he will cost us too many points.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:22:07 AM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1083 on: January 12, 2020, 12:36:56 AM »
Every time I have seen Bond he has been very good, surely he deserves a couple of games?
Gera, Gera, Gera

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1084 on: January 12, 2020, 01:20:50 AM »
Had ten games of being half decent. Gone back to being sh*t now. You can see that he doesn't install any confidence in the defenders in front of him. I can't wait to see him leave to be perfectly honest. Yes we were spoilt with Foster but SJ isn't even fit enough to lace BF boots (he would probably drop them)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1085 on: January 12, 2020, 08:51:07 AM »
That’s definitely 4
OK...
Gorra be dropped.  8)

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1086 on: January 12, 2020, 08:53:57 AM »
Out of curiosity seen as though the majority of us aren't fans of SJ where should he be? Are we the right level of club for him? Do you think he is a player that should be bottom half of the division or dare I say lower?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1087 on: January 12, 2020, 10:32:04 AM »
Not all Sam's fault defending has been abysmal all season with five foot nothings beating six foot plus defender's to win clean headers. Keeper has his problems but so too has Bilic with his zonal marking and no men  on posts.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1088 on: January 12, 2020, 12:09:48 PM »
Not all Sam's fault defending has been abysmal all season with five foot nothings beating six foot plus defender's to win clean headers. Keeper has his problems but so too has Bilic with his zonal marking and no men  on posts.
Well put , defend like we do and Bond will be the same
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1089 on: January 12, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »
Spot on mate, zonal marking is killing us.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1090 on: January 12, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »
Johnstone should've stopped the second goal yesterday zonal marking or not, it was like the one we conceded at Blues.

The first goal was nothing to do with zonal marking our two centre halves totally to blame Ajayi losing the ball in the first place then losing the header from the cross then Bartley leaves Davison unmarked to head home. Two 6 foot 5 centre halves and we concede a goal like that. Shocking.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1091 on: January 12, 2020, 03:31:59 PM »
Yesterday's goal was just a result of his being weak. Good. Place for him save it, right by him. A stro g hand sends it away from post. Nothing to do with Zonal Marking which I also hate.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1092 on: January 12, 2020, 08:04:34 PM »
SJ's problem is following Foster, who is easily the best keeper I've seen at the club.  Foster was a shot stopper also, but he had a natural authority in the box, organised defenders and the defence were comfortable with him.
In SJ's defence, he has saved us points in several games and a few penalties, but if Foster became available again, I'd jump at making him an offer to come back, and also make his West Brom supporting kids happy!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1093 on: January 12, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »
Let’s not forget we are paying a 3rd goal keeper, if Slav doesn’t think that Bond is an adequate replacement, I would have to question why we brought in Al Habsi to not be utilised?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1094 on: January 12, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
SJ's problem is following Foster, who is easily the best keeper I've seen at the club.  Foster was a shot stopper also, but he had a natural authority in the box, organised defenders and the defence were comfortable with him.
In SJ's defence, he has saved us points in several games and a few penalties, but if Foster became available again, I'd jump at making him an offer to come back, and also make his West Brom supporting kids happy!
I disagree
I think baggies are generally quite forgiving folk who in the main really get behind players esp if they see effort.
HRK is a really good example , not the most popular of signings or contract extensions....but his song boomed yesterday because everyone could see he grave everything
Foster has not glued Sam to the line, he doesn’t run in front of him when the opposition shoot from 30yds and he most certainly does not stop him talking to his defenders .
He’s 26 now, he earns enough and should be self analysing .....I’d also add that the keeper coach should also be culpable .....yesterday Al Habsi (not on the bench) spent nearly all of the warm up stopping shots , Bond (who was on the bench ) hardly warmed up......it’s weird

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1095 on: January 13, 2020, 12:28:13 AM »
yesterday Al Habsi (not on the bench) spent nearly all of the warm up stopping shots , Bond (who was on the bench ) hardly warmed up......it’s weird

I have seen this before at hull away and wondered wtf that was about, as you say very strange
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1096 on: January 13, 2020, 02:52:45 PM »
OK...
Gorra be dropped.  8)

technically 'gorra' is not a word, so you're back to 2...

try again  :P

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1097 on: January 13, 2020, 02:56:42 PM »
Yesterday's goal was just a result of his being weak. Good. Place for him save it, right by him. A stro g hand sends it away from post. Nothing to do with Zonal Marking which I also hate.

He's got chocolate wrists and divers boots
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1098 on: January 13, 2020, 03:09:32 PM »
He's got chocolate wrists and divers boots

I cannot disagree with that.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1099 on: January 13, 2020, 04:52:52 PM »