Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668224 times)

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1125 on: January 28, 2020, 11:03:50 PM »
Bond has two clean sheets in three games. Johnstone hasn't kept a clean sheet at home all season and I believe he has 4 total? It's not like his record was much better last season either. He needs time out and we need to give Bond a run of games.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1126 on: January 29, 2020, 07:39:24 AM »
Needs a rest and needs to work on his keeping and vocal commands.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1127 on: January 29, 2020, 07:41:57 AM »
another type of teachers pet
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1128 on: January 29, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »
Hope we didn't tie this lad down to a long term deal.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1129 on: January 29, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »
Yes like krovinovic who scored against barnsley and was dropped
Like Edwards that has been very effective ....then dropped
Furlong tonight

Comical decisions and avoidance of the obvious

It's weird that we have some fans insisting that Bilic hasn't tried anything new with different players.
Then also some fans saying he keeps dropping the wrong players.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:51:42 AM by boinging_along »

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1130 on: January 29, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »
He could almost have been leaning on his left goalpost. Go on stick in the other corner I dare you Tomlin - ok then thanks!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1131 on: January 29, 2020, 08:52:51 AM »
He could almost have been leaning on his left goalpost. Go on stick in the other corner I dare you Tomlin - ok then thanks!

Yeah, I know you're supposed to trust the wall but that gap was massive.  He didn't hit it that well and it didn't exactly go in the top corner.  At least he dived for it I suppose.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:59:58 AM by boinging_along »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1132 on: January 29, 2020, 08:57:41 AM »
Yeah, I know you're supposed to trust the wall but that gap was massive.  He didn't hit it that well and it didn't exactly go in the top corner.  At least he dived for it I supposed.

He waved at it as it went past him
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

jim68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1133 on: January 29, 2020, 09:16:54 AM »
He waved at it as it went past him
i remember the chant  few years back [grimsby town away first time i had heard it dodgy keeper now we've got one of our own  :'(

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1134 on: January 29, 2020, 09:47:26 AM »
He's here till 2022  :(

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1135 on: January 29, 2020, 09:52:07 AM »
Needs to be dropped, Bond should be given a chance or Al Habsi.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1136 on: January 29, 2020, 09:53:04 AM »
Its easy to criticise SJ for his positioning for that free kick. For me he should never have been put in that position in the first place, but he was due to keystone cop football by a few of our 'defenders'.

It didn't help that they had Lee Tomlin for the kick either.
MAGA!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1137 on: January 29, 2020, 09:58:42 AM »
Its easy to criticise SJ for his positioning for that free kick. For me he should never have been put in that position in the first place, but he was due to keystone cop football by a few of our 'defenders'.

SJ was a contributor to how it came about, though. His pass to Bartley with an attacker nearby led to Bartley, who is awful on the ball, trying to make a pass to Phillips that he made a hash of and their bloke charged through the middle to be brought down.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1138 on: January 29, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
SJ was a contributor to how it came about, though. His pass to Bartley with an attacker nearby led to Bartley, who is awful on the ball, trying to make a pass to Phillips that he made a hash of and their bloke charged through the middle to be brought down.
Yep, he instigated it by trying to play out despite 2 or 3 Cardiff players still in and around our 18 yard box.
As for the free kick, I know very little about Lee Tomlin but there's 2 things I do.

1) He's a bit chubby
2) He's got a wand of a right foot so you cannot give him 3/4 of the goal to aim at from 18 yards out

Special mention to the buffoons in the wall who were more interested in trying to sneak 6 inches ahead of the ref's chalk line than focus on their positioning.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1139 on: January 29, 2020, 10:26:02 AM »

SJ was the reason it came about though - tried to play it out with our defence underpressure.  You can tell his positioning was all wrong as he could pretty much reach out and touch his left hand post with his glove if he wanted to.  Tomlin was the only one taking that, and he was only going to be taking it right footed.  He left too much room, I'd have fancied my chances of getting it in from there.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1140 on: January 29, 2020, 10:41:28 AM »

I accept that he made the choice to release the ball and he had options, but you would think at least one of our defenders would have realised that it was not the best decision and to 'John Smith' it into row z. Instead we pretended to be Barcelona.

I will agree that SJ needs a new pair of gloves though as not much sticks to his present pair.
MAGA!

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1141 on: January 29, 2020, 10:53:33 AM »
Yep, he instigated it by trying to play out despite 2 or 3 Cardiff players still in and around our 18 yard box.
As for the free kick, I know very little about Lee Tomlin but there's 2 things I do.

1) He's a bit chubby
2) He's got a wand of a right foot so you cannot give him 3/4 of the goal to aim at from 18 yards out

Special mention to the buffoons in the wall who were more interested in trying to sneak 6 inches ahead of the ref's chalk line than focus on their positioning.

Weren't they trying to make a point to the referee that Tomlin had moved the ball back from the original position and while the ref' was marking out 10 metres from where the free-kick should be taken; they were actually much further from the spot it was at. This would have given him a better chance to get the ball over the wall and under the goal.
I think the referee moved the ball back slightly but still seemed to be a bit further back from where I could remember the free being. Anyway; it did seem a bit obvious that there was only one spot Tomlin was aiming for. 

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1142 on: January 29, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »
SJ just needs to be taken out of the team for a while. We also need to focus on defending cross/ aerial balls into our box as we're absolutely awful at this at the moment. Simple organisational and responsibility stuff not being done properly

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1143 on: January 29, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
SJ just needs to be taken out of the team for a while. We also need to focus on defending cross/ aerial balls into our box as we're absolutely awful at this at the moment. Simple organisational and responsibility stuff not being done properly

I am coming round to that thinking as well to be honest. We need to see if there is anything in this confidence of the defence with Bond that some are referring to. Its easy to say Bond had a clean sheet at West Ham as he had absolutely nothing to do. Bond needs to be exposed to the same amount of traffic that SJ is, we will see who is right then.....
MAGA!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1144 on: January 29, 2020, 11:24:48 AM »
I have kept my counsel on Johnstone, but for the teams good I think a change is due now. I dont think he deserves the stick he gets on here but there is clearly a confidence issue with our defence and something has to change ASAP
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1145 on: January 29, 2020, 11:29:49 AM »
I have kept my counsel on Johnstone, but for the teams good I think a change is due now. I dont think he deserves the stick he gets on here but there is clearly a confidence issue with our defence and something has to change ASAP
This has been an issue since last season and he is the only constant. The back 4 has been changed numerous times to no avail.
He is the weakest link, time to say goodbye.

Cleobury_WBA

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1146 on: January 29, 2020, 12:06:49 PM »
Needs dropping now. At fault for both goals last night; should have got a stronger hand on the ball, or caught it, for the first goal and the free-kick came about from his poor playing out from the back which saw us caught in possession. Bond deserves a chance now.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1147 on: January 29, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »
Biggest load of tosh, I have read for a while. Only mistake last night was playing it out from the back in the lead up to the second goal. Plenty of others who need the figure pointing before you get to the keeper. Bartley as RCB has never worked and Billic should now that by now!
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1148 on: January 29, 2020, 12:23:40 PM »
His placement for the freekick was also poor.
There were several balls in the box he just watched that he should have claimed.
He should have done better for his first goal.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1149 on: January 29, 2020, 12:32:12 PM »
His placement for the freekick was also poor.
There were several balls in the box he just watched that he should have claimed.
He should have done better for his first goal.

Carnage at every long throw just because he's unwilling to leave his line and clear a few out the way.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.