Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 767052 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3425 on: August 03, 2019, 09:54:34 PM »
Suspect you're both wrong but time will tell, I'd back him to start most home games.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3426 on: August 03, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »
It is fair to say that Brunt's best days might be behind him, but he has been a marvellous servant to this club, and even now, he is one of the best crossers of football in the game, so I think he still deserves a squad place.  When he goes though, it will be as one of our best players in modern times in my humble opinion.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3427 on: August 03, 2019, 10:09:12 PM »
Suspect you're both wrong but time will tell, I'd back him to start most home games.
Not knocking you but after watching that tonight. I ask you a genuine question who would you back him to start in place of?

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3428 on: August 03, 2019, 10:10:38 PM »
He still has a role to play, mainly off the bench helping see out games or if we need a goal his set pieces are always very handy. He's not and never was a central midfielder though, even in his younger days he was never good when moved there, and now he's 34 turning 35 this season he doesn't have the legs either.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3429 on: August 03, 2019, 10:11:00 PM »
Not knocking you but after watching that tonight. I ask you a genuine question who would you back him to start in place of?

Livermore, no doubt. Doesn't tackle, or misses key tackles (much like Brunt) but is light-years behind him ball at feet and in his head.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3430 on: August 03, 2019, 10:15:08 PM »
Obviously Livermore wants replacing but not with Brunt if  Brunt plays he as to be out wide and sadly i don't think he will get in the team out wide. The only way i think he could get in the team now is if Gibbs wad out for any length of time and he played left back. Just my humble though ;D

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3431 on: August 03, 2019, 11:45:12 PM »
Amazing how much better we look without him in the team.
I just don't get some fans on Brunty. FFS.
Can't we just accept him for what he is now? A great servant whose game time will inevitably drop but someone who can still have an influence at times.
We have a good game, and immediately people come on and have little dig at the guy.
Why not just focus on the positives of who played tonight?
There have been plenty of times when Brunt has not played where we have been dog S***e.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:58:38 PM by Albertbaggie »

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3432 on: August 05, 2019, 12:24:00 PM »
I don't remember too many set pieces on Saturday?  Phillips took a few corners, but thats all I can remember.  I'm interested to see who will take the set pieces, and the quality that they provide.  Maybe Brunt's role this season is to come on from the bench and provide set piece ammunition when needed.? He certainly doesn't have the legs to play the whole game in centre midfield.  Too many late tackles and gets caught on the ball too often.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3433 on: August 05, 2019, 12:38:59 PM »
It is fair to say that Brunt's best days might be behind him, but he has been a marvellous servant to this club, and even now, he is one of the best crossers of football in the game, so I think he still deserves a squad place.  When he goes though, it will be as one of our best players in modern times in my humble opinion.

Yes, he has been my favourite player since he came here 12 years ago. Plays any position without complaint, has scored not just match defining goals but season defining ones.
The way he has been talked about and abused by so called fans is nothing short of scandalous.
Albion fans  never used to be like that, now it seems we always have to have a scapegoat.
Who is it this season? Livermore or Johnstone?

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3434 on: August 05, 2019, 12:43:46 PM »
Yes, he has been my favourite player since he came here 12 years ago. Plays any position without complaint, has scored not just match defining goals but season defining ones.
The way he has been talked about and abused by so called fans is nothing short of scandalous.
Albion fans  never used to be like that, now it seems we always have to have a scapegoat.

Both of the above. Its already started and we are only one game in!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3435 on: August 05, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »

Imagine if he becomes Albion manager one day and posters describe him as a nice enough chap but stupid and thick because he doesn't talk well during interviews eh  ;) ?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3436 on: August 05, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »

They aren't scapegoats, they are genuinely not that good. I don't think many people scapegoat them, but some people (not neccessarily you, I don't know) are so thin skinned about criticism that when people point out they aren't that good, they get accused of scapegoating them.

For what it's worth, I think Johnstone is another Scott Carson, and Livermore another Karl Henry, and the sooner we dump both the better.

But the assessment of Brunt as a good club man with a decreasing role is probably spot on. He should be lauded for all he's done here, but we should have set about replacing him long before now.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3437 on: August 05, 2019, 02:23:00 PM »
I appreciate what Brunt has done for the club but he should only be on the bench. He is not a central midfielder and doesn't have the pace to play out wide

For all this talk of his dead ball / passing prowess he only managed 6 assists last season in 34 games. Which I'd say isn't that good for someone who takes the majority of dead balls.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3438 on: August 05, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »
I appreciate what Brunt has done for the club but he should only be on the bench. He is not a central midfielder and doesn't have the pace to play out wide

For all this talk of his dead ball / passing prowess he only managed 6 assists last season in 34 games. Which I'd say isn't that good for someone who takes the majority of dead balls.

Same number of assists as Sawyers...

Oops.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3439 on: August 05, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »
There are assists and there are assists. Ferguson gets an assist for Phillips goal on Saturday. All he did was pass the ball backwards in an innocuous area.

Stats can be manipulated quite easily. 

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3440 on: August 05, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »
I think Brunt will be our alternative to Sawyers when he is injured and or needs resting. He has the ability to dictate the tempo, creativity, bravery on the ball and a good range of passing. Obviously there is much that he lacks physically and is not particularly disciplined when in the centre of midfield and is also a poor tackler but has something to give a play maker from deep.

Certainly with us looking like we are going to press more aggressively, he can't play full back like he did under Pulis and the way our wide players set up on Saturday - he wouldn't be suited out there either.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3441 on: August 05, 2019, 02:37:17 PM »

Oops.

Now you like stats...

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3442 on: August 05, 2019, 02:41:21 PM »
I think Brunt will be our alternative to Sawyers when he is injured and or needs resting. He has the ability to dictate the tempo, creativity, bravery on the ball and a good range of passing. Obviously there is much that he lacks physically and is not particularly disciplined when in the centre of midfield and is also a poor tackler but has something to give a play maker from deep.

Certainly with us looking like we are going to press more aggressively, he can't play full back like he did under Pulis and the way our wide players set up on Saturday - he wouldn't be suited out there either.

So in summary he can drill a wonderful ball when the opposition afford him the time and space to do so, but he lacks physicality, can't tackle, has poor discipline and is largely unsuited to how we play? Now you put it like that what's not to like  ;D ?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3443 on: August 05, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »

Oops.

Playing for a different team. I don't know if Sawyers took the majority of Brentfords dead balls either.
A better comparison would be with Matt Phillips who got 7 assists in 32 games and some of those assists were in games when Brunt was taking the dead balls.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3444 on: August 05, 2019, 02:53:02 PM »
Imagine if he becomes Albion manager one day and posters describe him as a nice enough chap but stupid and thick because he doesn't talk well during interviews eh  ;) ?

You are just being daft now Dan, that would never happen here....... ;)
MAGA!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3445 on: August 05, 2019, 03:10:35 PM »
Playing for a different team. I don't know if Sawyers took the majority of Brentfords dead balls either.
A better comparison would be with Matt Phillips who got 7 assists in 32 games and some of those assists were in games when Brunt was taking the dead balls.

As you well know when Phillips and Brunt both play Phillips takes all the left wing corners.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3446 on: August 05, 2019, 04:17:54 PM »

As you well know when Phillips and Brunt both play Phillips takes all the left wing corners.
Maybe but doesn't alter the fact that he got more assists and more than twice the goals as Brunt did in less games.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3447 on: August 05, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »
Last season our top three players for assists were:

Harvey Barnes
Matt Phillips
Chris Brunt

All three were credited with 6 assists each, as was Romaine Sawyers for Brentford
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3448 on: August 05, 2019, 05:03:50 PM »
Last season our top three players for assists were:

Harvey Barnes
Matt Phillips
Chris Brunt

All three were credited with 6 assists each, as was Romaine Sawyers for Brentford

bet Jacko dosen't forget that stat, one for your Brunty book Jacko

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3449 on: August 05, 2019, 05:10:32 PM »

Touche, but Moore was a liability and cost us promotion in all probability, Brunt's goals and assists won us promotion and the championship title.
Maybe what  i said about Moore was harsh to some, but you can't say it wasn't accurate. Decent player, rubbish manager.