Author Topic: Darren Fletcher moves to Stoke City  (Read 366816 times)

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

Re: Darren Fletcher
« Reply #1100 on: April 26, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »
Got to move away from him being first name on the teamsheet.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1101 on: April 26, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »
I get feeling if he no play we fall apart because hes constantly organising the team

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1102 on: April 27, 2017, 07:25:22 AM »
That's a terrible comment jacko. In this day and age to have a professional like Fletcher come to us and clearly give his all for the club - especially when he could have easily gone for a bigger payday or a more 'fashionable' club - the least you could do is be a bit respectful towards the guy. He's not behaved like Berahino.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1103 on: April 27, 2017, 09:35:18 AM »
I wouldn't mind him staying, but on the basis that his wage is greatly reduced to reflect his status as a mere squad player and not an automatic first choice and Pulis did not use him in every game when it is clear his legs cannot handle midweek, Saturday, midweek. It's just painful to watch.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1104 on: April 27, 2017, 09:31:27 PM »
He's now a terrible PL centre mid with a more effective mouth than he has feet.

Get rid this summer.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1105 on: April 27, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »
The two worst spells when he's come in for most stick have been after periods of 3 games in 8 days. Pulis should realise that it's asking a bit much of him now....it does neither Fletcher nor the team any favours.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1106 on: April 29, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
Club and player are not close to a deal according to the express and star. He wants more than club willing to pay. If he is kidding himself he isn't in severe decline then he must have a screw loose.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1107 on: April 29, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »
Club and player are not close to a deal according to the express and star. He wants more than club willing to pay. If he is kidding himself he isn't in severe decline then he must have a screw loose.

When you play every minute of every game like he does and club captain he'll fancy his bargaining position to be fair.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1108 on: April 29, 2017, 01:51:53 PM »
When you play every minute of every game like he does and club captain he'll fancy his bargaining position to be fair.

Problem is at 33 he isnt going to get any better. Dont think his legs can take the hard grind of the Premier League.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1109 on: April 29, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
Fletcher in "on the bench" scandal  :o
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1110 on: April 29, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »

Yes down to Pulis but hopefulyl on this one the club stick to their offer. Great pro and good for us for the first 12-18months but quickly on the way out.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1111 on: April 29, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »
Problem is at 33 he isnt going to get any better. Dont think his legs can take the hard grind of the Premier League.

Isn't he one of the furthest runners in the Prem?

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1112 on: April 29, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »

Just shows how little of the ball we have had, no need to run so much when you have the possession.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1113 on: April 29, 2017, 07:09:36 PM »
Thought we passed it round better after he came on. Yacob didn't really offer anything more than Fletcher does apart from getting wound up

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1114 on: April 29, 2017, 07:39:21 PM »

Not really sure about those stats but its about what you do with the ball rather how many miles you put in!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1115 on: April 29, 2017, 07:42:53 PM »
Not really sure about those stats but its about what you do with the ball rather how many miles you put in!

To be fair that was only stated after someone else said they didn't think he had the legs.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1116 on: April 29, 2017, 07:47:07 PM »
To be fair that was only stated after someone else said they didn't think he had the legs.

Yeah that was me!

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1117 on: April 30, 2017, 12:40:24 AM »
Thought we passed it round better after he came on. Yacob didn't really offer anything more than Fletcher does apart from getting wound up

As soon as he came on he lost the ball which could have easily led to us going 2 nil down... didn't exactly do anything more than Yacob either

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1118 on: April 30, 2017, 08:22:48 AM »
As soon as he came on he lost the ball which could have easily led to us going 2 nil down... didn't exactly do anything more than Yacob either

I know which pass you're talking about. Hardly 'as soon as he came on'. He made 17 out of 19 passes after coming on - 90%, 14 of these were forward passes.

Yacob's pass rate was 70%, with more than half of these backwards or sideways. Made 3 tackles and gave away 3 fouls.

Livermore was 74%, with most of the incomplete passes being forward passes. He also made 0 tackles.

Morrison's was 69%, and Fletcher only made 4 less passes than him despite being on the pitch for about 60 minutes less and only made 1 successful tackle.

It's stats like these that mean we struggle in midfield against teams. I lost count of the number of backwards passes we made to Evans/McAuley yesterday who just hoofed it forwards, or failed passes from our midfielders to each other, or long balls over the top to nobody. We seriously need to look at players that know how to pass the ball forwards (or at least to each other successfully), and can pick a pass.

Also a few tackles wouldn't hurt; 6 tackles between the midfield of Yacob, Brunt, Morrison, Livermore and Chadli the entire game..

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1119 on: April 30, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »

Very much agreed, even before going on to read the stats  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1120 on: April 30, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »
I know which pass you're talking about. Hardly 'as soon as he came on'. He made 17 out of 19 passes after coming on - 90%, 14 of these were forward passes.

Yacob's pass rate was 70%, with more than half of these backwards or sideways. Made 3 tackles and gave away 3 fouls.

Livermore was 74%, with most of the incomplete passes being forward passes. He also made 0 tackles.

Morrison's was 69%, and Fletcher only made 4 less passes than him despite being on the pitch for about 60 minutes less and only made 1 successful tackle.

It's stats like these that mean we struggle in midfield against teams. I lost count of the number of backwards passes we made to Evans/McAuley yesterday who just hoofed it forwards, or failed passes from our midfielders to each other, or long balls over the top to nobody. We seriously need to look at players that know how to pass the ball forwards (or at least to each other successfully), and can pick a pass.

Also a few tackles wouldn't hurt; 6 tackles between the midfield of Yacob, Brunt, Morrison, Livermore and Chadli the entire game..
Given that Yacob never tries any expansive passes that 70% rate is not good at all.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1121 on: April 30, 2017, 08:38:50 PM »
Given that Yacob never tries any expansive passes that 70% rate is not good at all.

Like I said, I don't think he offered anything extra than starting with Fletcher. His main 'stopper' attribute also didn't shine through and was limited after he got wound up by the Leicester players. Fletcher knocked it round well once coming on, but still think we need some additions in midfield who know how to pick out quicker, more cutting passes that open teams up a bit when we've got the ball. Although given the choice of passing to Morrison or lumping it forward I know which one I'd take.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1122 on: May 01, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »
So Pulis says that he was left out because he needed a break as his stats were down. I hope TP takes note that a 33 year old box to box midfielder who's has had health issues will struggle with playing 3 games in 8 days.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1123 on: May 01, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »
So Pulis says that he was left out because he needed a break as his stats were down. I hope TP takes note that a 33 year old box to box midfielder who's has had health issues will struggle with playing 3 games in 8 days.

Imagine we'll see Livermore/Yacob dropped in favour of Fletcher next match as their stats were poor. Although we'd struggle to field a team if he looked at everyone's from Saturday

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1124 on: May 01, 2017, 05:34:03 PM »
Imagine we'll see Livermore/Yacob dropped in favour of Fletcher next match as their stats were poor. Although we'd struggle to field a team if he looked at everyone's from Saturday
I think Pulis was talking physical conditioning stats as opposed to passing percentage etc. I expect Yacob or Morrison to be dropped and I wouldn't argue with that. Yacob hasn't been good enough last two games.