Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5169316 times)

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #14175 on: April 25, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
Unfortunately you have ignored the most straightforward statement on the link you have posted.....

"The maximum numbers of English teams in UEFA competitions is seven"

I also put in bold the key works... In Normal circumstances and Where these qualifications changes.

If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UEL third qualifying round place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

If Man Utd win the UEL their place in the UEL third qualifying round for winning the EFL Cup would go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

Chelsea and Arsenal are in the final... whoever wins the FA Cup gets put into Europa league - that's one extra place if they both finish in the top 5. (Takes it to 6th place)

Manchester United have won the EFL Cup so aslong as they finish in the top 5 thats another place because they can't be entered into both the UCL and the UEL or more than one which is common sense. (Takes it to 7th place)

The winner of the UEL qualify for champions league, so if Manchester United win it... they are already qualified to compete in Europe due to winning the EFL cup so that adds another place. (Takes it to 8th place)

If a team qualifies for a Champions league/Europa league more than once (Man United for example... winning the EFL Cup and finishing top 5 - both of those achievements earn them a place... they can only fill one space )... It has to filter down to the next highest place that hasn't qualified for European football.

The limit is NOT seven, it is eight.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10253604/champions-league-and-europa-league-qualification-for-premier-league-teams-explained

No more than five clubs can enter the Champions League and no more than three can enter the Europa League from one national association. (5 + 3 = 8 )

We have the whole of the internet at our hands and people still can't use their initiative to do their research before telling people they are wrong.  ::)

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14176 on: April 25, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »

Haha.

Didn't even click the link because I knew the whole premise was wrong...

Really? so your saying the official premier league and sky sports websites are wrong?  ::)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14177 on: April 25, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »
http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=2226990.html

In addition, a number of competition regulations were approved by the Executive Committee, including those for the 2015–18 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. Mr Infantino made one clarification in terms of positions available in UEFA's club competitions for the new cycle.

"Clubs winning either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League," he said, "will not add an extra place to the total number of places available for that association in the subsequent club competition season – with one exception.

"The only time an association can gain an additional place in the subsequent season's club competitions will be if one of their clubs wins either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League and, at the same time, does not finish in a place in their domestic league or domestic cup which automatically grants a place in a UEFA club competition.

"It should also be stated," he added, "that an association with, for example, four places in the UEFA Champions League can increase their participation to five places should a club from their association win the UEFA Europa League in the previous season.

"If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via their domestic league, then the association remains with four places in the UEFA Champions League. If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Europa League via their domestic league, it results in five clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League, and two – not three – participating in the UEFA Europa League."

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14178 on: April 25, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=2226990.html

In addition, a number of competition regulations were approved by the Executive Committee, including those for the 2015–18 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. Mr Infantino made one clarification in terms of positions available in UEFA's club competitions for the new cycle.

"Clubs winning either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League," he said, "will not add an extra place to the total number of places available for that association in the subsequent club competition season – with one exception.

"The only time an association can gain an additional place in the subsequent season's club competitions will be if one of their clubs wins either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League and, at the same time, does not finish in a place in their domestic league or domestic cup which automatically grants a place in a UEFA club competition.

"It should also be stated," he added, "that an association with, for example, four places in the UEFA Champions League can increase their participation to five places should a club from their association win the UEFA Europa League in the previous season.

"If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via their domestic league, then the association remains with four places in the UEFA Champions League. If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Europa League via their domestic league, it results in five clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League, and two – not three – participating in the UEFA Europa League."

Via the domestic league.

So what about the likes of United who could potentially qualify via winning Europa leauge (if they do) and the EFL cup (like they have)? That's nothing to do with where they are placed in the domestic league.

Same with if Chelsea were to win the FA Cup.

Obviously there are spaces available to the winners of the FA cup, EFL cup, UEL and UCL... along with finishing in certain places in the league table (for every league involved)... if a team were to qualify more than one way... how can it NOT filter down to the next highest team and still have the correct amount of teams in the competitions?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:44:15 PM by adamw1109 »

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14179 on: April 25, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
Reads to me that the only thing that looks like it can change is England getting an extra Champions League place if United win Europa League and finish outside top 4. Then we would lose a Europa League place so we can only ever have 7 teams in European competition.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14180 on: April 25, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »
Via the domestic league.

So what about the likes of United who could potentially qualify via winning Europa leauge (if they do) and the EFL cup (like they have)? That's nothing to do with where they are placed in the domestic league.

Same with if Chelsea were to win the FA Cup.

Obviously there are spaces available to the winners of the FA cup, EFL cup, UEL and UCL... along with finishing in certain places in the league table (for every league involved)... if a team were to qualify more than one way... how can it NOT filter down to the next highest team and still have the correct amount of teams in the competitions?
UEFA effectively take the place away from the English sides for a year if we have already had the 7 qualifiers for Champions League and Europa League as either 4 CL and 3 EL or 5 CL and 2 EL. So if our top 4 qualify for the Champions League, 3 sides (either by cups or league position) make the Europa League and two non European qualifiers win the Europa League and the Champions League we have the potential for 9 places. We can't have that so you would see 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Champions League plus Champions League winner and Europa League winner (they take priority). That would make our 5 Champions League Spots. We would then be allowed two Europa League places to fill our quota of 7 sides which would go to 4th and 5th on the League. Those who won cups or finished 6th and 7th would miss out.

So basically, whatever happens in this season or any other, 8th will never be a Europe League qualification place and actually the more European Places we will via the available routes the harder it becomes to qualify via the league. I think the only way to have 8 teams is with the 8th qualifying via the fair play league which might not even be a route anymore.

So this year there is the very real possibly that United finish outside the top 4 but win the Europa League. They would then become our 5th Champions League side and we'd lose 7th as a Europa League spot.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:03:06 PM by A5HB »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14181 on: April 25, 2017, 06:37:58 PM »
Really? so your saying the official premier league and sky sports websites are wrong?  ::)

No mate, I'm saying your interpretation of it is wrong...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14182 on: April 25, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »

No mate, I'm saying your interpretation of it is wrong...

I just copy and pasted from the official websites i mentioned, hence the reason asking if your saying they are wrong... which they possibly could be.

ABaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14183 on: April 25, 2017, 11:08:38 PM »
I just copy and pasted from the official websites i mentioned, hence the reason asking if your saying they are wrong... which they possibly could be.
The official FA website you quoted clearly states that the maximum is seven. No qualification. No exception. Just the maximum is seven

As for Sky I wouldn't trust anything they say. This week they were hailing Real Madrid vs Barcelona as part of their great local derby week despite the distance from Madrid to Barcelona being roughly equal to the distance from Newcastle to Plymouth!

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14184 on: April 26, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
The official FA website you quoted clearly states that the maximum is seven. No qualification. No exception. Just the maximum is seven

As for Sky I wouldn't trust anything they say. This week they were hailing Real Madrid vs Barcelona as part of their great local derby week despite the distance from Madrid to Barcelona being roughly equal to the distance from Newcastle to Plymouth!

The official FA website I quoted also clearly states the maximum is seven in normal circumstances and then in brackets says (Please note UEFA reserves the right to change the conditions of the access list so these criteria can be subject to change.)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14185 on: April 26, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
The official FA website I quoted also clearly states the maximum is seven in normal circumstances and then in brackets says (Please note UEFA reserves the right to change the conditions of the access list so these criteria can be subject to change.)

My understanding is that the normal circumstances bit aplies to the 4 champions league and 3 europa league places. If Man utd qualify for the champions league by winning the Europa league then England would have 5 champions league places but only 2 Europa league places not the normal 4 and 3.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14186 on: April 26, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
My understanding is that the normal circumstances bit aplies to the 4 champions league and 3 europa league places. If Man utd qualify for the champions league by winning the Europa league then England would have 5 champions league places but only 2 Europa league places not the normal 4 and 3.

That's all that it is, there is literally nothing else to it.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14187 on: April 26, 2017, 02:37:24 PM »

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14188 on: April 26, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »

hillsm

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14189 on: April 26, 2017, 10:21:18 PM »
In other news, Tony's doing a solid job.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14190 on: April 27, 2017, 02:47:55 AM »
More helpful results with LC and Crystal Palace losing. We are still in the driver seat for 8th.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14191 on: April 27, 2017, 05:43:41 AM »
In pre-season TP's priority is working on fitness - running up mountains in Austria. A trip to China and a mini-tournament has been imposed on him. How on earth would our mini-squad of aging players have coped with an early start pre-qualifying Europa league campaign anyway. Some of our supporters have totally unrealistic ambitions for our club at the present time.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14192 on: April 27, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »
In pre-season TP's priority is working on fitness - running up mountains in Austria. A trip to China and a mini-tournament has been imposed on him. How on earth would our mini-squad of aging players have coped with an early start pre-qualifying Europa league campaign anyway. Some of our supporters have totally unrealistic ambitions for our club at the present time.

Clubs that qualify for European competitions will also do pre season fitness work and will play pre season friendlies. If there was a scheduling clash with the early stages the Europa League we could withdraw from the tournament as other teams have done in the past.

I don't think I have unrealistic expectations and I accept that European qualification would have presented some challenges for the club and the coach. However when we hit 40 points at the end of February with 12 games to play we were 4 points behind Everton so we had a chance albeit a slim one of getting 7th and European football.

These opportunities come around infrequently and to progress as a club we have to seize them. Seven games latter we have 44 points and are 13 points adrift of 7th treading water in 8th.

There are issues with the squad size and age. However at what point do we acknowledge that some of the responsibility for that reflects decisions that Pulis himself has made over the last two years? 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14193 on: April 27, 2017, 07:22:16 AM »
Just out of interest standaman, where did you predict us finishing at the start of the season?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14194 on: April 27, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »
And I would just add, that gives we had Lukaku instead of Everton this season you can bet we would have at least swapped places.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14195 on: April 27, 2017, 08:04:18 PM »
Just out of interest standaman, where did you predict us finishing at the start of the season?

Fourteenth and I would give any team  and or coach  a +/- 6 point variance we are are 6 points ahead of 14th which in turn is 6 points ahead of 19th which is all you need to know about the mid table mix in the Premier League. Eighth is just the top end of that range. Seventh is genuine progress and we were in with a shot of it but we have since regressed.

And I would just add, that gives we had Lukaku instead of Everton this season you can bet we would have at least swapped places.

Any striker and I mean any striker and I will take the under for 15 league goals in a season in a Pulis side, however they are very unlikely to be Lukkau quality but I would still take it if they were. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14196 on: April 27, 2017, 10:12:59 PM »
Finishing 8th bags us £12m more than 14th would.

It does raise questions about our squad that Phillips absence is evidently felt in the team (see Fosters comments this week).

The 'will he stay or will he go' Berahino fiasco has resulted in us being seriously under armed in firepower. It's only part Pulis fault. The blame lies more with the club hierarchy (JP included). This has impacted on our finish to the season along with a pretty tough sequence of games.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14197 on: April 28, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »
We all knew at the start of the season that unless Berahino sorted himself out that we'd be drastically short of strikers.  Rondon's form over the first half of the season and Phillips coming in helped mask that to some degree.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14198 on: April 29, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »
Well 50 points Is not going to happen again. "We are not on the beach" and "it's been a great season" seem to be the lines trotted out but the evidence is to the contrary. Pulis outside the top 10 again?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14199 on: April 29, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
For all he brings and the stability Pulis brings for me he is wearing thin now , the passing just gets worse and that includes decent passes like Chadli and Livermore who we seem to have got down to our level now.
The cage is limiting us , if you were a decent forward you wouldn't sign for us.
Respect Pulis and what he does but like this i don't see him staying for another season after next but by then he will have done the job he was bought in to do.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.