Author Topic: Charlie Austin loaned to QPR  (Read 160789 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Charlie Austin
« Reply #475 on: July 27, 2020, 02:01:18 PM »
Chaz Austin confirmed as top goalscorer, despite limited game time and Kanu having a 'stellar' season apparently...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #476 on: July 27, 2020, 02:05:59 PM »
Chaz Austin confirmed as top goalscorer, despite limited game time and Kanu having a 'stellar' season apparently...

Did they mean 'Artois' when saying Stellar? Because in terms of what we get back from him, he's Reassuringly Expensive.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:31:50 PM by ex coseley kid »
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #477 on: July 27, 2020, 02:23:00 PM »
Not sure if he's worth keeping about next season. 10 goals isn't great considering the wage and fee we spent on him. If he wants to stay then he needs to get a lot fitter.
BOING BOING

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #478 on: July 27, 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
Not sure if he's worth keeping about next season. 10 goals isn't great considering the wage and fee we spent on him. If he wants to stay then he needs to get a lot fitter.

Agreed, but his wages with his knees may be another issue. Only 1 year left isn’t it? Free to Watford might work for everyone?
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #479 on: July 27, 2020, 03:17:35 PM »
Yeah I'd let him go on a free/nominal. Didn't realise he only had 1 year left. Thought he had 2. Not so bad then.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #480 on: July 27, 2020, 11:13:19 PM »

Given the competition I would hope so.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #481 on: July 28, 2020, 01:35:42 PM »

buries head in hands  :(
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #482 on: July 28, 2020, 10:48:45 PM »
Imo we will keep HRK and Austin and maybe add one  at least or two strikers depending on whether we can sell or loan Zohore.

I only hope that Austin has a good pre season and gets as fit as he can and hopefully have a Glen Murray type effect for us in the prem.

In an ideal world I would have liked che Adams on loan but I doubt that will happen now he's had a purple patch.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #483 on: July 28, 2020, 11:06:58 PM »
All three strikers could go in my view. Not one is good enough for what we need next season.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #484 on: July 28, 2020, 11:11:07 PM »
All three strikers could go in my view. Not one is good enough for what we need next season.

Totally agree but given their respective contract situations I fail to see them leaving. Hope I’m wrong though.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #485 on: July 28, 2020, 11:40:55 PM »
As he's got 1 year left I imagine we will have to keep him as his wages would be too high for most Championship clubs.

Having said that I think he's good from the bench in the Premier League if we need a goal, in the Championship he didn't contribute much other than his goals and wasn't as effective as Kanu in terms of hold up, passes etc. However, he's more of a natural finisher which may be vital in terms of grabbing points etc so it's not a bad situation for all involved.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #486 on: July 28, 2020, 11:52:47 PM »
As he's got 1 year left I imagine we will have to keep him as his wages would be too high for most Championship clubs.

Having said that I think he's good from the bench in the Premier League if we need a goal, in the Championship he didn't contribute much other than his goals and wasn't as effective as Kanu in terms of hold up, passes etc. However, he's more of a natural finisher which may be vital in terms of grabbing points etc so it's not a bad situation for all involved.
I think he’s been almost embarrassing with the inability to run and get to through balls...
Cannot possibly be considered an option in the prem.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #487 on: July 29, 2020, 12:32:26 AM »
I agree that he is physically lacking now and I cannot get out of my head the image of him pulling out of a header with the goal gaping ( Huddersfield?)
He was a bad signing on a terrible contract !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #488 on: July 29, 2020, 12:40:37 AM »
I think he’s been almost embarrassing with the inability to run and get to through balls...
Cannot possibly be considered an option in the prem.

Top scorer, so how embarrassing were the other 2?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #489 on: July 29, 2020, 02:55:52 AM »

Yes I can't see him being moved on

But as you said he may not be too bad as an late option off the bench...   think Birmingham Away
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #490 on: July 29, 2020, 06:20:31 AM »

If we had bought them in a shop we could have sent them back as not being fit for purpose, probably even do the shop under the trades description act.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #491 on: July 29, 2020, 06:40:09 AM »
If you take into account he only cost 4 million then I think 11 goals is a actually value for money at that price . But then you see a report that he is the highest paid player at the club on 50k a week which will be more after promotion  :-X : :o

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #492 on: July 29, 2020, 07:30:26 AM »
Got us vital points that got us promotion, end of.
Baggie in Southampton

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #493 on: July 29, 2020, 08:05:13 AM »

They were even more embarrassing you’re right. But that still does not mean he’s any good. He has been a very good striker but no longer is. Mobility is now very limited and the thing that has genuinely surprised me is that his ball control is, on occasions, awful.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #494 on: July 29, 2020, 08:40:35 AM »
I think Austin would be ok coming off the bench.

I cant actually see us selling any of our current strikers.  No one will buy HRK or Zohore.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #495 on: July 29, 2020, 08:44:18 AM »
I hope not but on the evidence of his last two appearances, I think whatever he was, he is now shot.   Similar to Barry against Newcastle everything seems to have drained from him.  Sometimes ageing is like that: a sudden sharp decline.

Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #496 on: July 29, 2020, 09:28:33 AM »
Personally id be keeping him myself.

I dont think he is as shot as some say. He leads the line well, he fights for stuff, half the time he is chasing 4 defenders down on his own across that frontline.

He is not a lone striker for me though, he works better in a partnership or a front 3 where he occupies the 2 centre halves.

There was a real lack of service for a goalscoring striker in this side which is why HRK looked so much better in the position allowing our midfielders to come through. Thats how we setup to play from the start i think.

But for me Austin stays and would contribute some vital goals at the top level
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #497 on: July 29, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »
Personally id be keeping him myself.

I dont think he is as shot as some say. He leads the line well, he fights for stuff, half the time he is chasing 4 defenders down on his own across that frontline.

He is not a lone striker for me though, he works better in a partnership or a front 3 where he occupies the 2 centre halves.

There was a real lack of service for a goalscoring striker in this side which is why HRK looked so much better in the position allowing our midfielders to come through. Thats how we setup to play from the start i think.

But for me Austin stays and would contribute some vital goals at the top level

I agree, yes he needs to work hard pre season but if he hits the season in good shape, could well provide vital goals.
I actually thought he finished the season looking much fitter.
Baggie in Southampton

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #498 on: July 29, 2020, 09:45:23 AM »
I agree, yes he needs to work hard pre season but if he hits the season in good shape, could well provide vital goals.
I actually thought he finished the season looking much fitter.
Out of the 3 he's certainly the most valuable, if only for his enthusiasm and character alone. If we can get him fit, he could still play a part on the pitch also.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #499 on: July 29, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »
Out of the 3 that we have, he's the only one I wouldn't object to being here next season as back up (to the backup).