Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5162059 times)

AlbionLifer

• WBA Newbie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2015, 01:51:48 PM »
Just on the radio:

As Stoke manager, Tony Pulis has more wins at the Hawthorns than Irvine and Mel combined.

That is truly depressing and shows how far we've fallen since Roy left for the England gig. I'm quietly confident TP will be adding to his "Hawthorns wins" statistic considerably over the new few months.

ajt33

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2015, 01:53:38 PM »
Happy New Year to y'all.

Absolutely delighted with the appointment of Mr Pulis as head coach of West Brom. Really feared we would end up with Sherwood.

From miserable to optimistic in the in the space of a few days. A fresh start - throw out the old and roll in the new.

The Gaffer 8)
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »
We might now have a man at the helm who can convert the big talking from our players into performances on the pitch.

One things for sure he will weed out the shirkers and non performers.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2015, 02:38:31 PM »

With the team selection today it looks like the muppets behind Irvine should also be quickly on their way .

Come on Pulis shake em up you'll have my backing ;D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
Rumours have it that after seeing that midfield Tony Pulis has handed in his resignation..  ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »
Rumours have it that after seeing that midfield Tony Pulis has handed in his resignation..  ;D
Don't know about that Liam but he may be asking for a small increase in the 15 million transfer budget for January, say by another 15million !!!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
Did anyone really expect a different team today?  Irvine's last parting shot to us. Pulis did not take over until today.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »
What a fantastic start to the New Year....feels like we are a real Club again after the pain of the last year and a half.

Its a shame we had to go through the last 6 months and it was a shame for Alan Irvine to be the guy that tried to change things, when in fact he never could.

But to be where we are now we had to learn the lessons and suffer, and to be very fair to JP he has acted swiftly and bravely and I am sure will put some money where his mouth his this month.

Call him "Head Coach" , but we all know he's a Manager through and through and that is precisely what we need.

Going out to buy a baseball cap immediately.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2015, 03:05:30 PM »
Did anyone really expect a different team today?  Irvine's last parting shot to us. Pulis did not take over until today.

Do people really expect much different for his first few games?

Irvine wasn't the man for the job, but I don't buy that we had tones of talent that wasn't making it on to the pitch either. I hope the 15 million is true, but if it is and we stay up, expect a quieter summer because thats the budget its coming from.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2015, 05:19:55 PM »
He needs 6 wins and a few draws and as soon as possible, played well today could have nicked it.
Hull is a very big game and for once I'm actually looking forward to a game.
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »
I am very happy with this appointment and finally for the first time since Hodgson I am actually excited for the future of my club. He is a very good man manager who will kick the cliques out of this club along with JP kicking KD and RK out of the club, surely this is what we would all want?

He will play whatever system and type of football that suits the players we have, you cant play hoofball with loads of 5 foot something tall footballers as we have. At palace he had a lot of quick attacking footballers so he played a  counter attacking style. I would imagine we will setup with a solid back four, two screening midfielders and then the rest being allowed to attack when we have the ball, I fully expect us to play with a good defensive setup to build to from and cause teams real problems when we attack. Above all I see us playing good counter attacking football and not the perceived "hoofbal" that is being shoehorned in to every opinion on here.

I am fully behind Pulis as he is a proven Premier League manager with a very good record in this division unlike anyone since Hodgson.

Come on Tony and West Brom!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:24:49 PM by Baggie79 »
Gera, Gera, Gera

CoachRagnar

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
I think the players will be in for a surprise. There is "fit, match fit....and they're soon to learn about Pullis-fit. When they walk off the pitch from training, they'll need to take care not to trip over their tongues.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »
He is a very good man manager who will kick the cliques out of this club along with JP kicking KD and RK out of the club, surely this is what we would all want?
Yes, I certainly want that, but I think Kiely needs to go as well so that we can start entirely afresh. Given the unexpected level of involvement of Pulis and Kemp today, I guess there could well be an announcement about the remaining coaches tomorrow, as there's no reason why Pulis and Kemp can't be in the dugout for the Gateshead game.

Tatnam baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »
So pleased we got Tony pulis to sighn on the dotted line. Well done to JP for not dithering this time.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2015, 06:06:22 PM »
I think the players will be in for a surprise. There is "fit, match fit....and they're soon to learn about Pullis-fit. When they walk off the pitch from training, they'll need to take care not to trip over their tongues.
Apparently his training sessions according to players who've played under him say it was more demanding than the match itself, can honestly say I never remember seeing a stoke side under him who lost games because of tiredness and couldn't go the extra mile.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2015, 06:45:29 PM »
Good to see meaningful substitutions.
He is in a very fortunate position because he can make eleven team changes against Gateshead he could not be criticised as he could plead it necessary to see all of his squad in match situations.

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »
By all accounts the subs were his decisions today.

Already heavily involved.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2015, 07:19:20 PM »
One of the most important qualities of a manager imo is to be tactically aware and i think we now have one of the best.
His ability to alter games with subs ect. is impressive.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »
Never thought I'd say this, but ... welcome to the Baggies Tony!
It`s been a long time since I've been on here & read such positivity. Listened to Matty Etherington on Talksport this morning, & he said that he`s such a stickler for tactics during training, that a lot of the time training was more mentally draining than physical. He really rated him though & naturally thinks he`ll do a great job.
With all this positivity, there's probably a lot of you that weren`t going to go up against Gateshead that have now changed their mind? I really hope so anyway ... Let`s give the guy a big welcome!
COYB!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »
I thought it was brilliant to see both Tony Pulis and Dave Kemp stamping their authority on the football club. Really refreshing to see them getting messages down to the bench when many managers in waiting would have sat there watching the game.

Today was an ideal game for Pulis to witness though - he's undoubtedly saw some very shoddy defending from certain individuals but he has also saw the best of others. Berahino taking his chance, Stephane Sessegnon being a creative outlet and the solidity of both Yacob and Youssouf Mulumbu as well as the latters willingness to try and link play.

There is plenty for our new gaffer to work on, there is no denying that but Pulis will have got a very round overview of our side today.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2015, 07:49:59 PM »
Really pleased with a point against an otherwise in form West Ham today. That's the kind of result we need to be taken seriously.

Everyone in the squad will be on their toes from now on, which is good, because he has no preconceptions about who should/ shouldn't be in the team, and there's a transfer window looming.

Onwards and upwards. 

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »
Even though he was on a watching brief it was great to see him being so proactive, particularly in the second half.
"This crack is really moreish."

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
Heres my view on it one of 40/50 odd thousand Albion fans it dont matter to much if at all but here it goes, I think the results have pulled some of even most of our fans apart mentally over the last 2 years myself included tottenham, cardiff, villa just to name a few leaving the ground physically sick even though at times playing some okay football just squandering some very good leads, Horrible feeling come FT.

I am one of probably many on this board who has seen us lose constantly under a TP side get blown away and an easy 3 points for hes stoke/palace sides but mainly stoke sides over the years 1-0 wins yearly coming off so and so backside after we have good possession and looked pretty, Stoke fans laughing in our face year on year again horrible feeling.

What we have is a guy who will get results he will look at that squad next week and decide whether he needs new additions to keep us in this league the guy today made Kemp and Peace move there bums he wasnt scared he got them off there seat whether it was for kemp to shimmy through and JP making way, The guy doesn't officially start until tomorrow but he was involved today he wanted to get among them and reward the fans who have paid 46 pound per ticket i respect that immensely this man wanted a result, I personally warmed to the guy today just from watching him in the stand.

We have a guy who when we lose or god forbid give up i think these players will be scared to get in the dressing room and not just for the showers, This guy screams of better and is ruthless in succeeding which when it includes the football club i love i don't have a problem with, What we might sacrifice is a good footballing style at times but after two years i think i am ready to see a man who wants to grind out results isn't afraid to voke an opinion and who desperately wants to do well and get the best out of this group players.

Going home every week saying we played well after a loss makes us look inferior and minor i personally think a guy who wants to get results and isnt afriad of upsetting the wagon is something we need at the moment.

Welcome aboard mister Tony Pulis.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2015, 08:25:59 PM »
Nice to see him taking control today and we were a much better team second half for it as well.

Title will be changed of the thread as well  ;)

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2015, 08:31:29 PM »
Have to agee with (Super) BobTaylor

Every managerial appointment will be a risk but with Tony Pulis on board the odds of PL survival have dramatically swung in our favour

He appears to have already galvanised the club and he's only been sitting in the stands - here's to a very happy (and prosperous) New Year
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan