Author Topic: Harvey Barnes (recalled to Leicester)  (Read 163168 times)

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes (on loan from Leicester)
« Reply #425 on: January 11, 2019, 12:02:41 PM »
Gutted like all, obviously. However I seriously doubt that Albion don't have some sort of contingency for this as its been rumoured it could happen for a while and there was always a recall option. I imagine there is already a shortlist of potential replacements and with where we are in the league its an attractive loan option for someone on the fringes in the Prem. Alternative to that if Lai is prepared to put his hand in his pocket we could attract some of the other quality wingers in the league to join us (thats a big if).

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #426 on: January 11, 2019, 12:12:05 PM »
It's on the BBC site. Very serious blow as Harvey has a very strong shout for Championship player of the season so far....let alone our player of the season.

Thanks for the excitement and consistent quality and effort Harvey and good luck.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2019, 12:19:25 PM »
Big loss and most annoying that they have left so late in the week to exercise their option when I would assume all the planning for tomorrow would have been done presumably with HB firmly in our team plans !! >:(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »
Really gutted about this I just hope Leicester’s give him a chance in the first team as he has the ability to be a really good player.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2019, 12:39:28 PM »
Gutted.  We have no one with magic if he isn't in the team.  This might be pivotal for the match tomorrow as well.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2019, 12:46:44 PM »
Big loss and most annoying that they have left so late in the week to exercise their option when I would assume all the planning for tomorrow would have been done presumably with HB firmly in our team plans !! >:(

Agreed, and Barnes is unlikely to feature for them for a similar reason. Lose this one and their ‘whispering frog’  of a manager is possibly toast from what I read!

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #431 on: January 11, 2019, 12:57:48 PM »
Agreed, and Barnes is unlikely to feature for them for a similar reason. Lose this one and their ‘whispering frog’  of a manager is possibly toast from what I read!

I hope he gets sacked now purely for doing this.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #432 on: January 11, 2019, 01:03:26 PM »
We'll miss him a lot, gave us goals, attacking impetus, and great entertainment. May well be the end of our automatic promotion hopes - he made that much of a difference to the team.
But people who are complaining about him being recalled haven't got much of an argument in my humble. He is their player and they have every right to recall him if they want. Unless we had negotiated a season long loan, we knew that it was always going to be a risk. For this reason, we should have a back up plan, but I'm not confident about that.
In the medium term it should teach us a valuable lesson. You don't loan players from other clubs unless it's for the whole season. Otherwise, if you think that the team needs strengthening, you either buy the players that you want, or you find youngsters to develop until they are good enough (and you give them chances to prove that they are)

Powelly

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/january/barnes-recalled-by-leicester/

Officially confirmed now  :'(

Harvey Barnes has today been recalled by his parent club Leicester City.

The England Under-21 international returns to the King Power Stadium with immediate effect.

“We’re obviously very disappointed to see Harvey go as he has clearly played an important role for the team over the first half of this season,” said Head Coach Darren Moore.

“He has been a pleasure to work with and a popular figure within the Club. We are proud to have played a role in his development and we have nothing but good wishes for him in his future career.

“Harvey grasped his opportunity and I am now confident that some of the many talented young players here will follow his example.”

Harvey scored nine goals in 26 appearances for Albion and his exciting progress brought further international recognition with a first call-up for England’s Under-21s.

On behalf of all the players, staff and supporters at West Bromwich Albion, we thank Harvey for his efforts and offer our best wishes for his future career.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #434 on: January 11, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »
Horrible news - that is the price you pay when you rely on loanees to get you promotion.

Big pressure on the board now to find a replacement - ideally one we own.

Also puts a bit more pressure on Moore to utilise more of Harper and Leko.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #435 on: January 11, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »
A big loss for sure & most frustrated that it happens 24 hours before a top of the table clash!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #436 on: January 11, 2019, 01:17:29 PM »
Won't get game time at Leicester as he has no interest in the dirty side of the game.

Disappointing news but certainly not the end of the world.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2019, 01:22:13 PM »
We'll miss him a lot, gave us goals, attacking impetus, and great entertainment. May well be the end of our automatic promotion hopes - he made that much of a difference to the team.
But people who are complaining about him being recalled haven't got much of an argument in my humble. He is their player and they have every right to recall him if they want. Unless we had negotiated a season long loan, we knew that it was always going to be a risk. For this reason, we should have a back up plan, but I'm not confident about that.
In the medium term it should teach us a valuable lesson. You don't loan players from other clubs unless it's for the whole season.Otherwise, if you think that the team needs strengthening, you either buy the players that you want, or you find youngsters to develop until they are good enough (and you give them chances to prove that they are)
Sadly, it is not down to the loaning club to set the rules. I'd like to applaud Moore for noticing him last season and getting him to join us (even if it was transitory).

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »
Won't get game time at Leicester as he has no interest in the dirty side of the game.

I do feel for Harvey in all this. Clearly was enjoying his time here, starring in a lot of games and now will go and warm the bench at Leicester. Don't imagine it is going to help his development

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »
I do feel for Harvey in all this. Clearly was enjoying his time here, starring in a lot of games and now will go and warm the bench at Leicester. Don't imagine it is going to help his development

Agreed.

I don't actually see how Leicester benefit by recalling him. Seems an extremely strange move.

Still, it's their prerogative.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #440 on: January 11, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »

I agree. Barnes will be a loss no doubt, but he was but one member of a strong side and isn't that good that he is irreplaceable. I would be more gutted if we lost Philips or Gayle personally.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #441 on: January 11, 2019, 01:29:29 PM »
Feel obliged to having to note down my feelings towards Barnes.

Thank you for restoring my faith in football, and more importantly, the Albion.

Got me off my feet more times this year than anybody else has in the past decade.

Top 5 best players/biggest impacts i've seen grace our club.

All the best, maybe one day we'll see you back.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #442 on: January 11, 2019, 01:32:35 PM »
Always had a feeling this day would come, to say I'm gutted would be an understatement.

Thanks for the memories Harvey and good luck with the rest of your career.

Awful timing by Puel as well, doing it the day before a top of the table clash, hope you get sacked.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #443 on: January 11, 2019, 01:39:38 PM »
Thanks for your efforts Harvey, good luck for the rest of your career. Hope the bench at Leicester gets too cold and you get a ticket to play for us back here in the future. You will be welcome. Puel has the right to recall him, but just before a top of the table clash with little time for us to adjust is sheer arrogance. No more than I would expect though from  such a diving cheating and so far very lucky outfit. Onwards and hopefully upwards with our OWN players now COYB

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #444 on: January 11, 2019, 01:43:27 PM »
Sad to see quality player go all the best harvey that's automatic promotion out of the window now.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #445 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »
When you get hit with a blow like this you can either feel sorry for yourself and crumble or pull together and become even stronger. The impression I get of the current team spirit is that we will do the latter.
The fact that Barnes himself didn't want to go, and Jones has turned down a massive opportunity elsewhere, certainly suggest that we have the right attitude.
I would put the Norwich team photo up on the changing room wall with Puel's face stuck on every one of them. Use the anger and disappointment to our advantage.
HRK 1st goal 3-1
COYB

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #446 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:52 PM »
Sad to see quality player go all the best harvey that's automatic promotion out of the window now.
[/b]

Bloody hell talk about knee jerk reactions.

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #447 on: January 11, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »
Gutted to hear this. Talk about a manager putting his own interests before one of Englands most promising players.

Strangely however, if Barnes doesn't get the time he wants on the pitch whilst he's back at Leicester for the run in and we do go up, I think we'll be in better position to sign him than if he stayed. Got to somehow fill the void though. Hope Big Dave has a back-up!

Thanks Harvey for helping make this such an enjoyable season to date, we won't forget you lightly!
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #448 on: January 11, 2019, 01:59:04 PM »
Massive blow but its what we do now that counts.

The club would of known there was a chance this would happen so i would hope they are already making moves to replace Barnes. In an ideal world our own youngsters (Edwards or Leko) would step in but until the FA cup match they had not even made the bench let alone play, so i dont think will be an option.

To get a player similar to Barnes will be very difficult, they are out there and you just have to hope our scouts and recruitment know where! Barnes was the sort of player who would be 5/10 then produce something out of nothing and that makes him a 9/10, we havent had a player like that since Odemwingie.

Like i say those players are around but they are scare, i think we will go for a more consistent 7/10 type player but what you gain in some ways on Barnes, you lose in others.

No player is irreplaceable and we have enough players for this level already who should do a job and i think we would still make play offs anyway, however to go for automatic we do need a replacement.

I know some people are saying he may come back before the end of the window but it would be foolish to plan for that, if he did it would be a bonus.

Personally i think Puel will either play him near enough straight away, as Barnes is a leicester fan who is in form, its a chance for Puel to build some bridges with the fans who have started to turn, however if he doesnt play in there next couple of games i also wouldnt be surprised to see him loaned to a lower premier league club (i think if he plays for leicester he cant sign for another team due to the 2 teams a season rule?)

Its what happens now that counts, over to the board and recruitment team.......

mifos

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2019, 01:59:37 PM »
Gutted, but in the longer term there is little point getting promoted if its mainly due to players who are on loan to us.
If they have a great season they're likely to be recalled and we'd need to fill the gaps in the close season, so would end up going into the prem with a new/unproven team. We need to sign players of Harvey's calibre as our own and be in control of the squad; time to invest Mr Chairman.