Author Topic: Graham Dorrans Joins Norwich City  (Read 365820 times)

Kicking Pigeons

Re: Graham Dorrans Joins Norwich City
« Reply #675 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »
The 10/11 season was a right off for Dorrans, too many things went against him that season that weren't his fault - injuries, personal problems and being played out of position. It's not fair to judge him on it.

Last season however he had a slow start, but when he got to play in a run of games he started to look impressive and show glimpses of what his huge natural talent is capable of. That's why he deserves a chance next season.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #676 on: May 23, 2012, 10:16:33 PM »
Lets be honest you dig at Dorian's whether that's right or wrong again and again on here,yes you are fully entitled to your view but constant sniping is at the player is making you look daft to be honest.Enough is enough now,if you have such a problem with Dorrans make your point and leave it.Your other choice is to ignore it or post your issue on another forum.If you have a problem with how i moderate feel free to make a complaint.

I sometimes wish Dexy folk would reflect on the true meaning of the term "Football Supporter" I have a colleague at work who is a baggies fan and attends home games on an ad hock basis. He spends his time endlessly criticising the baggies and the players. This is his own team and he spouts all this in front of fans from other teams wolves villa stoke and the blues! I find it depressing and question whether he has a right to call himself a football supporter at all?   

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #677 on: May 23, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
I sometimes wish Dexy folk would reflect on the true meaning of the term "Football Supporter" I have a colleague at work who is a baggies fan and attends home games on an ad hock basis. He spends his time endlessly criticising the baggies and the players. This is his own team and he spouts all this in front of fans from other teams wolves villa stoke and the blues! I find it depressing and question whether he has a right to call himself a football supporter at all?   

Slightly Passive Aggressive, but nonetheless:

I go everywhere, home and away, for what it's worth (so do 1200 other idiots  :D )

I go out of my way not to criticise Graham Dorrans or any of our players but rather try to add realism and balance  (or my perception of it). I think it is fair to say I'm in the minority on here at least with how far we think GD can go in the game. That isn't me criticisng my own player, its me not quite believing the hype, the euphoria surrounding the guy. Things aren't black and white, there are all kinds of shades of grey in between. I'm an Albion fan at the end of the day, and at the Hawthorns and around this country's top grounds I back them ALL to the hilt.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #678 on: May 23, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »
I hope next time someone slates Odemwingie, without base I might add, I see similar red writing. Nothing was getting heated with Wbako and myself, so just don't see the need for any intervention really. Most of the time I play devil's advocate re Dorrans, I most certainly don't dislike ANY of our players as some posters seem to (Moore, Carson etc.). I'm not on a wind-up, I think its important to bring balance to a debate, you are now telling me I cannot debate this subject, but rather state my case and leave?
Its not just with one member though is it?...earlier you had another dig at Dorrans in the Transfer Forum in the "Shopping List thread" which we removed.Look at yourself,its constant and no other member post's like whether it's Odemwingie,Dorrans or Brunt.If indeed you are playing Devils advocate regarding Dorrans i suggest you stop it and post normally because your fast becoming noted on here for being negative towards the player.
Id also suggest you stop telling mods/admin how to do their jobs,if you don't like how we do things on here theres plenty of other Albion forums around.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #679 on: May 23, 2012, 10:43:28 PM »
Slightly Passive Aggressive, but nonetheless:

I go everywhere, home and away, for what it's worth (so do 1200 other idiots  :D )

I go out of my way not to criticise Graham Dorrans or any of our players but rather try to add realism and balance  (or my perception of it). I think it is fair to say I'm in the minority on here at least with how far we think GD can go in the game. That isn't me criticisng my own player, its me not quite believing the hype, the euphoria surrounding the guy. Things aren't black and white, there are all kinds of shades of grey in between. I'm an Albion fan at the end of the day, and at the Hawthorns and around this country's top grounds I back them ALL to the hilt.

I havnt seen any trace of euphoria or hype surrounding GD on this thread or board for that matter? There are two ways of looking at this pint half full or pint half empty as far as this thread goes I would put you in the latter. My point Jacko is that we would be better trying to come at things from the half full view. That doesnt have to exclude criticism. If you can back them all to the hilt around the grounds why cant you do that on here also? You can still make your point if you unhappy but still support the players and team.

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #680 on: May 23, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »
Fair play Jacko, you've been proved right so far regarding Dorrans.  He could certainly learn a lot from James Morrison

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #681 on: May 23, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »
I don't see how he has been proved right at all to be fair. Morrison came here as an experienced player with plenty of games behind him, Dorrans came from the lower leagues in Scotland, impressed in his first season as a starter albeit in the Championship and has yet to be given any sort of chance in the Prem to put a sustained run behind him.

Seems some are given time, whilst others an immediate impression is demanded.

I would hope that as a player with not as much experience and slightly younger than Morrison that he can learn things from him, at 24 and hardly any top flight experience behind him Dorrans is still learning the game. I don't think people realise the gap between a club like Livingston and us.

The off-field issues have been mentioned and there is a bit more to it than has been posted but thats by the by and not for on here.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:17:14 PM by Dexy »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #682 on: May 24, 2012, 12:47:24 AM »
I havnt seen any trace of euphoria or hype surrounding GD on this thread or board for that matter? There are two ways of looking at this pint half full or pint half empty as far as this thread goes I would put you in the latter. My point Jacko is that we would be better trying to come at things from the half full view. That doesnt have to exclude criticism. If you can back them all to the hilt around the grounds why cant you do that on here also? You can still make your point if you unhappy but still support the players and team.

Your post count suggests you weren't here much during the 09/10 season. So you'll have to trust me, there was plenty of euphoria and hype. Also shouts seemingly every preseason including just recently (and thus far unfounded) that he'll be a "massive" player for us next season!! The point of this board for me is to air my frustration, opinion etc, so as not to have a negative perspective at the game.

To the mod: When I say play devils advocate, I don't mean I'm just doing it for the sake of it. I believe in what I'm saying, I watch the matches from my seat in the Birmingham Road, I'm not here to cause trouble, but I don't for one minute care that I'm noted for being "negative" towards a player on here. If I had a pound for every time I'd seen a post from Oldbury in the nice blue writing saying that all opinions are welcome positive or negative I'd have a good thirty odd quid  ;) I can't help feeling this wouldn't be an issue if the thread wasn't about Dorrans. Ie. Some disgusting comments in the Carson threads last season.

Make your point, but please don't bring other posters in to compare yourself to.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:16:55 AM by LiamTheBaggie »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #683 on: May 24, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
Fantastic player.Will prove his critics wrong next season and then i will flag this thread up this time next season ;)
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #684 on: May 24, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »
Your post count suggests you weren't here much during the 09/10 season. So you'll have to trust me, there was plenty of euphoria and hype. Also shouts seemingly every preseason including just recently (and thus far unfounded) that he'll be a "massive" player for us next season!! The point of this board for me is to air my frustration, opinion etc, so as not to have a negative perspective at the game.

To the mod: When I say play devils advocate, I don't mean I'm just doing it for the sake of it. I believe in what I'm saying, I watch the matches from my seat in the Birmingham Road, I'm not here to cause trouble, but I don't for one minute care that I'm noted for being "negative" towards a player on here. If I had a pound for every time I'd seen a post from Oldbury in the nice blue writing saying that all opinions are welcome positive or negative I'd have a good thirty odd quid  ;) I can't help feeling this wouldn't be an issue if the thread wasn't about Dorrans. Ie. Some disgusting comments in the Carson threads last season.

Make your point, but please don't bring other posters in to compare yourself to.
Absolutely nothing to do with Dorrans himself,go back through the Carson thread and you will see myself allow people their views positive or negative but you will also see myself defend the player from over the top critics as a lot of that was disgusting .It's all to do with members behaviour as that's what mods/admin do on this site,when we see you going over the top and posting the same negative stuff towards Dorrans you will be noted as a negative poster....it's your own doing to be honest and it's certainly not even handed or balanced posting.
Take myself for instance,I'm not Fortune's biggest fan but if i feel the need to post on him i make my point and leave it as others will always think different.I don't force my views down other people's throats as you sadly do with Dorrans which whether you like it or not has been noticed by Mods/Admins and indeed other members.
Telling other members their "so far up their own opinion" and to" behave" in other threads wont be accepted,your very welcome to post on here positive and negative in a balanced manner but that's up to you.If not.....

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #685 on: May 24, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Fantastic player.Will prove his critics wrong next season and then i will flag this thread up this time next season ;)
I would like to agree.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:45:04 AM by mulliganstired »

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #686 on: May 28, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »
I would like to agree.

Despite all the questions being raised by some posters about GD ability on the ball and to succeed at PL level i read with interest..... That Swansea one of the best footballing sides in last years PL it would seem have already made an enquiry regarding his availability? Thankfully it seems that the club like many other fans with an interest would be very reluctant to part with our best players.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #687 on: May 28, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »
I think he'll be a massive player for us next season.

Seems to have improved his game alot, and had a good 8 or so games to the back end of last season.

Think a good pre season and we will see the best of GD.

Baggie66

« Reply #688 on: May 28, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Wow, 18 pages on Graham Dorrans that's a bit intense to say the least.  ::)

I believe we paid a healthy £150k for him back in 2008 and he joined us from Livingstone where he had been since an early age. Graham Dorrans therefore, owes us absolutely nothing.

I am also aware that he has represented his country at Under 20's, Under 21's and at Full Senior level although it is also fair to say that he is, in the main, a Scotland squad player currently.

He has made just over 200 appearances at Club level and his goal ratio is good for a midfielder at 1:4 games.

He only played for us a handful of times in 2008/09 before breaking into the team in 2009/10 becoming, virtually an ever present and scoring a wonderful 18 goals that season in the Championship as we were promoted. West Ham came to the door with wads of money and tried to buy him but we hung on to him.

He made the Championship league team of the season and was voted the PFA Fans Player of the Year in the Championship that season at just 22/23 years of age.  ;D

Seasons 2010/11 and 2011/12 have been particularly tough seasons for Dorrans and, I believe, during early doors in the first Premiership season he was "found out" to a degree. Surprisingly, if you look at the stats he played 20 games in each of these seasons however with a further 15 subs places last season so he certainly featured and played a part in our success.

As a result of injuries, personal grief and some poor management of him early on in his Premiership life Graham Dorrans remains the "player who will come good next season" in a lot of supporters eyes.

IMO he has always been good enough he just lacks consistency and that is the frustration. Graham's wife has just given birth to a lovely daughter, Graham appears to be getting back to full fitness, Seasons 2012/13 and 2013/14 are his last two seasons at the Albion unless the Club take the extra year in their favour from 2014 to 2015. Graham has a lot to prove now to both his supporters and the doubters. He is at 25 ready to challenge all-comers I would suggest.  ;D

He needs to take the "bull by the horns" so to speak, he will need to impress our new Manager, he will need to get in that midfield in a position that suits him, and not the crowd, and he will have competition from; Morrison, Brunt, Thomas, Mulumbu, Gera, Allan and Thorne as well as possible competition from Andrews, Scharner, Reid and anyone else that we may sign this Summer.

It's not going to be easy and Swansea may turn his head as it's a "second chance" however he must do his utmost but, more importantly, we should get right behind him as he is a Baggie and right now he is one of ours and his effort has surely never been in doubt.

I wish Graham Dorrans all the luck in the world and he may well need it as we are now a Top 10 Premiership side that has moved on but if it doesn't work out for him, as fans, we will thank him and wish him the best of luck, it's now up to him. COYB.   :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:53:17 PM by Quakes Fan »

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #689 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:54 PM »
good god Baggie66 that's long  :o. I think Dorrans is good enough to play but it depends soley on Morrison's fitness. Dorrans is Morrison's number 2 I don't think i've ever seen them played together at club or international level, James of England is always picked ahead of Graham.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #690 on: May 28, 2012, 08:57:05 PM »
Well they did play together in the win at Stoke - 4-5-1 Mulumbu, Dorrans and Morrison in the middle. Why we were so swift to move away from that I dont know. Scharner came back in ...not sure why....
Although Dorrans is probably best in the attacking midfield role he can lie deeper and probe and start things off.
Fair point about the competition he'll face but with injuries over the course of a season especially to midfielders....just hope he can pick up where he left off, looking fitter and hungrier.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #691 on: May 28, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »
What would class Dorrans as? is he a playmaker? a crosser, header etc? Morrison is what i like to call a howitzer. He doesn't think you can shoot in the box so fires in log range shots. He does it so often I started to call him "long Tom" Morrison.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #692 on: May 28, 2012, 09:48:45 PM »
I'd say they've got very similar strengths. They can both score the spectacular from the edge of the area. They can both split a defence and have two good feet.
Both best suited to advanced midfield role but can  play deeper or wider.
Dorrans has the edge in dead ball delivery for me but Morrison currently ahead in the pecking order after a very good season.

tipton baggie 80

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #693 on: May 28, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »

I believe we paid a healthy £150k for him back in 2008 and he joined us from Livingstone where he had been since an early age. Graham Dorrans therefore, owes us absolutely nothing.

I am also aware that he has represented his country at Under 20's, Under 21's and at Full Senior level although it is also fair to say that he is, in the main, a Scotland squad player currently.

He has made just over 200 appearances at Club level and his goal ratio is good for a midfielder at 1:4 games.

He only played for us a handful of times in 2008/09 before breaking into the team in 2009/10 becoming, virtually an ever present and scoring a wonderful 18 goals that season in the Championship as we were promoted. West Ham came to the door with wads of money and tried to buy him but we hung on to him.

He made the Championship league team of the season and was voted the PFA Fans Player of the Year in the Championship that season at just 22/23 years of age. ;D

Seasons 2010/11 and 2011/12 have been particularly tough seasons for Dorrans and, I believe, during early doors in the first Premiership season he was "found out" to a degree. Surprisingly, if you look at the stats he played 20 games in each of these seasons however with a further 15 subs places last season so he certainly featured and played a part in our success.

As a result of injuries, personal grief and some poor management of him early on in his Premiership life Graham Dorrans remains the "player who will come good next season" in a lot of supporters eyes.

IMO he has always been good enough he just lacks consistency and that is the frustration. Graham's wife has just given birth to a lovely daughter, Graham appears to be getting back to full fitness, Seasons 2012/13 and 2013/14 are his last two seasons at the Albion unless the Club take the extra year in their favour from 2014 to 2015. Graham has a lot to prove now to both his supporters and the doubters. He is at 25 ready to challenge all-comers I would suggest;D

He needs to take the "bull by the horns" so to speak, he will need to impress our new Manager, he will need to get in that midfield in a position that suits him, and not the crowd, and he will have competition from; Morrison, Brunt, Thomas, Mulumbu, Gera, Allan and Thorne as well as possible competition from Andrews, Scharner, Reid and anyone else that we may sign this Summer.

It's not going to be easy and Swansea may turn his head as it's a "second chance" however he must do his utmost but, more importantly, we should get right behind him as he is a Baggie and right now he is one of ours and his effort has surely never been in doubt.

I wish Graham Dorrans all the luck in the world and he may well need it as we are now a Top 10 Premiership side that has moved on but if it doesn't work out for him, as fans, we will thank him and wish him the best of luck, it's now up to him. COYB.  :)

I think Tony Mowbray has infiltrated the board :) Just need Baggie66 to start talking about 'sprinkling magic dust' and 'polishing lumps of coal' and my suspicions will be confirmed  :-*

Good post though. I agree entirely.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:53:58 PM by Quakes Fan »
West Bromwich Albion, finishing above Staffordshire's finest when in the same league over the last 12 years

Baggie66

« Reply #694 on: May 28, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
I think Tony Mowbray has infiltrated the board :) Just need Baggie66 to start talking about 'sprinkling magic dust' and 'polishing lumps of coal' and my suspicions will be confirmed  :-*

Nah untrue, however, I do feel that we should be sprinkling lumps of coal and polishing magic dust  :-*
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:54:10 PM by Quakes Fan »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #695 on: May 28, 2012, 10:33:23 PM »

Don't worry, 'we'll take it on the chin'  ;D

Very good post from Baggie66 aswell may I add.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Tipton Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #696 on: May 29, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
swansea want dorrans, swap him for sinclair

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #697 on: May 29, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
swansea want dorrans, swap him for sinclair
I doubt they are any more since they've signed Siggurdson.

JBullyWBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #698 on: May 29, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »

He made the Championship league team of the season and was voted the PFA Fans Player of the Year in the Championship that season at just 22/23 years of age.  ;D

IMO he has always been good enough he just lacks consistency and that is the frustration. Graham's wife has just given birth to a lovely daughter, Graham appears to be getting back to full fitness, Seasons 2012/13 and 2013/14 are his last two seasons at the Albion unless the Club take the extra year in their favour from 2014 to 2015. Graham has a lot to prove now to both his supporters and the doubters. He is at 25 ready to challenge all-comers I would suggest.  ;D

I wish Graham Dorrans all the luck in the world and he may well need it as we are now a Top 10 Premiership side that has moved on but if it doesn't work out for him, as fans, we will thank him and wish him the best of luck, it's now up to him. COYB.  :)

No, we are not. I'd agree with you had we been in the Premier League for a few more years and finished 10th or above consistently.

However, this is only our second season in the Premier League, we're not even established yet. We cannot take Premier League status for granted.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:54:51 PM by Quakes Fan »

Baggie66

« Reply #699 on: May 29, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »
No, we are not. I'd agree with you had we been in the Premier League for a few more years and finished 10th or above consistently.

However, this is only our second season in the Premier League, we're not even established yet. We cannot take Premier League status for granted.
If you actually read what I said the comparison is between Dorrans and his best season (in the Championship) and what he needs to aspire to next season to be successful (10th in the Premiership). Certainly no-one is taking anything for granted, just look what happened to the neighbours last year, their 3rd consecutive season in the Premiership.

I've watched this Club for 46 years, trust me, I take nothing for granted where the Albion are concerned.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:55:04 PM by Quakes Fan »