Author Topic: Academy Prospects  (Read 13355 times)

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

Academy Prospects
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »
After Liam O'Neil made his short but successful debut at the weekend, he became the 4th academy graduate to make his 1st team debut this year following Luke Daniels, who made his premier league debut against Everton, with his first start against Newport, Saido Berahino who also made his debut against Newport and his Premier League debut against Swansea and Cameron Gayle, who came off the bench against Newport. These obviously all follow in the foot steps of George Thorne, Chris Wood, Sam Mantom, James Hurst and Izzy Brown who were involved in previous years.

I think it's great that we are finally starting to see the club develop young players who  are good enough to be on the fringes with the odd one or two maybe able to make the step to first team over the next few years. With Adil Nabi and Kemar Roofe making the bench vs Reading and Newcastle last year, plus Callum Jones travelling with the squad last year I think there may be a few more to come over the next year or so.

Who do you guys think will be the next one to make the bench or maybe even their debut?

There are a few candidates but I think Donervon Daniels will be next. He travelled with the squad at the weekend and with Olsson suspended I think he has a real chance of making the bench next week.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

Re: Academy Prospects
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »
After Liam O'Neil made his short but successful debut at the weekend, he became the 4th academy graduate to make his 1st team debut this year following Luke Daniels, who made his premier league debut against Everton, with his first start against Newport, Saido Berahino who also made his debut against Newport and his Premier League debut against Swansea and Cameron Gayle, who came off the bench against Newport. These obviously all follow in the foot steps of George Thorne, Chris Wood, Sam Mantom, James Hurst and Izzy Brown who were involved in previous years.

I think it's great that we are finally starting to see the club develop young players who  are good enough to be on the fringes with the odd one or two maybe able to make the step to first team over the next few years. With Adil Nabi and Kemar Roofe making the bench vs Reading and Newcastle last year, plus Callum Jones travelling with the squad last year I think there may be a few more to come over the next year or so.

Who do you guys think will be the next one to make the bench or maybe even their debut?

There are a few candidates but I think Donervon Daniels will be next. He travelled with the squad at the weekend and with Olsson suspended I think he has a real chance of making the bench next week.

Donervon Daniels is the only one I can think of, most of them need to make the breakthrough soon, maybe one of the reasons Mel was appointed.
Baggie in Southampton

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »
Yes Mel has been known to give academy kids a chance at Betis and I expect him to do the same here. Izzy Who?

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »
Izzy Who?

Ha, was that sorted to public knowledge in the end? I'd love to know what we got for him given the messy legal situation. I'm not one for wishing ill on anyone, but i'll probably smile to myself when i read he's signed for a league 1 team in a few years. Kid could have made it big here, he certainly would have had a chance this season.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
Ha, was that sorted to public knowledge in the end? I'd love to know what we got for him given the messy legal situation. I'm not one for wishing ill on anyone, but i'll probably smile to myself when i read he's signed for a league 1 team in a few years. Kid could have made it big here, he certainly would have had a chance this season.

If I remember correctly, around £225,000 give or take, could rise to £1.5 million based on appearances or future resale.

He has been playing for their under 21's.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:48:15 PM by The Black Pearl »
Baggie in Southampton

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
Our prospects need regular football so our best prospects should be sent out on loan to the Championship.  They need to do well once out on loan too.

For example George Thorne hasn't kicked a ball for Derby yet.  Why have we sent him there when he needs games?

Daniels didnt do much at Gillingham where he spent most time on the bench and from memory he didnt pull up trees at Tranmere either.  Thats not to say he wont make it but if he cant do it in League 1 its hard to imagine him breaking into our first team any time soon.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
From Luke Daniels time on the pitch when he was needed, i'd be happy to have him as backup if Myhill has decided he's had enough of sitting on the bench. Boaz will always have my respect for putting in a good shift when needed, but he must get annoyed being behind a truely top class keeper.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »
Baggie in Southampton

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
Nothing better than seeing home grown players in the first team as you always hope they have that little bit more passion for the club. I thought Keemar Roofe would have got closer to the first team this season and was surprised he wasn't on the bench sat with all our midfield injury problems.

devonbaggiecjaj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
Callum Jones at right back very soon (12 to 18 months)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »
Baggie in Southampton

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
I guess Donervon Daniels could be on the bench Saturday given Lugano's injury and Olsson's suspension. Who knows he might even get a game if we decide to go with the same formation as Saturday.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 10:36:37 PM »
Thought Callum Jones was a centre back?

pattayabaggie

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 01:45:28 AM »
Hopefully there's a couple of gems in the under 18s for the future but given that we're rock bottom by 5 points i wouldn't hold out to much hope at the moment and given Daniels,roofe etc in the under 21s haven't been loaned out to a championship side like thorne and Berahino was would suggest they are nowhere near the first team hopefully the likes of o'neill can spend a season in the championship next season should we survive this season

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 02:54:34 AM »
Hopefully there's a couple of gems in the under 18s for the future but given that we're rock bottom by 5 points i wouldn't hold out to much hope at the moment and given Daniels,roofe etc in the under 21s haven't been loaned out to a championship side like thorne and Berahino was would suggest they are nowhere near the first team hopefully the likes of o'neill can spend a season in the championship next season should we survive this season
I seem to remember that the club has stated that it wouldn't loan out some players, no matter how good, for certain reasons, ie. having better control of their footballing education, allowing them to learn with the senior team (which O'Neil's been doing of a couple of years now) etc. I know they've said that about the Nabi's before, definitely Adil.

And anyway, aren't we trying to get away from the old English "they don't win so are rubbish" mentality? after all it's the emergence of talent that is important, not winning or losing at this stage. The coaches also tend to throw the players around positionally and bring in younger players fairly often, which doesn't help in the league as the u18's play u21's, U16's play U18's and so on.

I know we see enough in Danny Barrow to have given him a new/ first contract. Add to him players like  Johnathon Leko, Reese Wedderburn, Wes Atkinson, both Callum and Aaron Birch and Alex Palmer (GK for u 21's whos only about 16-17), plus others, and I would say that there is hope

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 03:24:55 AM »
Danny Barrow is a very talented lad, he has superb natural ability. I believe he's only 18 but I can see him breaking through. Watch this clip of him he looks like Messi in an Albion shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9jEKgeJW_8

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 05:12:04 AM »
Danny Barrow is a very talented lad, he has superb natural ability. I believe he's only 18 but I can see him breaking through. Watch this clip of him he looks like Messi in an Albion shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9jEKgeJW_8

He looks a player of great confidence and potential. I am sure our coaches will be able to build on this talent. I will be watching his development with interest.

dan_wba

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 07:41:16 AM »
From Luke Daniels time on the pitch when he was needed, i'd be happy to have him as backup if Myhill has decided he's had enough of sitting on the bench. Boaz will always have my respect for putting in a good shift when needed, but he must get annoyed being behind a truely top class keeper.
He is a top class keeper but in all fairness if he was getting annoyed he surely wouldn't have signed a new deal.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:38:30 AM by kris_boing »

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »
He is a top class keeper but in all fairness if he was getting annoyed he surely wouldn't have signed a new deal.

Very settled here, wouldn't want to move his family again. When he was at Hull his family stayed down here so was a no brainer when he came to us and I can't imagine he'll move away from the area again. When he went on loan it was to Birmingham too.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 09:15:27 AM »
I've heard the Chambers twins are quite good.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »
Thought Callum Jones was a centre back?
He is, and I imagine he is slightly behind Cameron Gayle (who can also play right back) and Donovan Daniels in the pecking order right now, although he was in the travelling squad for Stoke away last year whilst the others were injured or on loan.

pattayabaggie

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 12:56:55 PM »
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-pepe-mel-says-6842913
Pepe Mel has said that he might be prepared to call upon Liam O’Neil again during West Bromwich Albion’s final eight games of the season.

The 20-year-old Albion Academy product came off the bench to make his Premier League debut in the final moments of Saturday’s 2-1 win at Swansea.

The defensive midfielder was given his chance due to the absence of Claudio Yacob, Morgan Amalfitano and Chris Brunt, but also because he can fill in at right-back if necessary - Albion were without Billy Jones and had concerns over Steven Reid.

Mel has been impressed with the youngster’s progress, claiming that his ball-winning abilities and awareness are among his strengths.

“I am really pleased for him,” said Mel.  “I brought him in for the future.

“He is a good player - the second ball is important for Liam.

“Liam is a young player and it was a difficult match for him but he did very well on Saturday.

“He will stay in my thoughts for sure.”

O’Neil, who came through Albion’s youth system after being signed from non-league club Histon, enjoyed his first-ever professional outing.

“It was amazing,” said O’Neil.

“I don’t know whether to cry or laugh, it was unbelievable. I only got on for a short while but it is every young player’s dream.

“It was nerve-racking but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.”

O’Neil continued: “Pepe has given me the chance.

“Hopefully I’ve taken it and shown him what I can do.

“It was incredible at the end and it’s difficult to explain how it felt.

“I’d like to thank all the staff at West Brom and all the people who have helped me.”

Albion will be without Jonas Olsson this Saturday’s game at Hull and for the following weekend’s Hawthorns’ game against Cardiff after he picked up his 10th booking of the season at Swansea.

Amalfitano and Jones hope to make progress from their hamstring injuries, although Claudio Yacob is expected to remain sidelined with his leg injury.

Chris Brunt is also still injured.

Albion will be up against former players Shane Long, Curtis Davies and Robert Koren this weekend - Paul McShane is out for the rest of the season with ankle ligament damage.

Hull Ahmed Elmohamady claims his side simply cannot afford to lose to Albion given the close proximity of the two clubs.

Albion are in 16th, just three places and two points behind the Tigers.

Elmohamady said: “West Brom is a massive one.

“When you play the teams close to you in the table it’s almost like playing for six points rather than three.

“To beat West Brom would be really good for us.”

wba_jd26

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 01:12:02 PM »
I really think jonathan leko looks the best prospect in the academy at the moment. Although he is only 15/16 currently so has a few years before we see him.

I really hope we give some more of the academy players game time as I really think there are a few that can come good.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
Donovan Daniels was touted as a big prospect a couple of years back and quite a few bigger clubs were sniffing around him.  However, the heat that surrounded him has since died down and he didn’t really pull up any trees whilst out on loan.  However without watching all youth games and seeing him in training it’s hard to know whether his abilities are simply going under the radar hype wise or whether his development has stalled somewhat.  I saw him play around 18 months ago and was impressed, he was athletic and read the game well.
"This crack is really moreish."