Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 599212 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »
Nothing confirmation bias about it - if you asked Pulis what his philosophy is that would pretty much match exactly that line for line, and we hated Pulis' approach didn't we?  Sam's approach is the same - anybody who thinks we'll be getting anything different is deluding themselves.  Eevery job he's had since Bolton has involved fans protesting to get him out of the club due to his style of football.

Newcastle fans loathed him
Everton fans loathed him
Palace got rid at the first opportunity

Tonight's tactics seemed to be limited to having nine outfield players lined up around our box and to smash the ball into the channel for Grant to chase. Reminded me of Pulis and Rondon.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #401 on: December 20, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »
Nothing confirmation bias about it - if you asked Pulis what his philosophy is that would pretty much match exactly that line for line, and we hated Pulis' approach didn't we?  Sam's approach is the same - anybody who thinks we'll be getting anything different is deluding themselves.  Eevery job he's had since Bolton has involved fans protesting to get him out of the club due to his style of football.
Completely agree. The game today is no friend of Allardyce's old fashioned methods

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #402 on: December 20, 2020, 10:14:10 PM »
West Ham fans were protesting when he had them 3rd in the Championship.  It's not even the results - it's the brand of football he plays that is the issue.  We'd better get used to it. 

Still early to judge him - but this squad isn't set up to play hoof ball.  We don't have any strikers who can hold the ball up - our midfield lacks pace.  We're much better keeping it on the ground and trying to pass through teams.  Can Sam adapt to that?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #403 on: December 20, 2020, 10:16:43 PM »
West Ham fans were protesting when he had them 3rd in the Championship.  It's not even the results - it's the brand of football he plays that is the issue.  We'd better get used to it. 

Still early to judge him - but this squad isn't set up to play hoof ball. We don't have any strikers who can hold the ball up - our midfield lacks pace.  We're much better keeping it on the ground and trying to pass through teams.  Can Sam adapt to that?

Exactly, as Bilic wanted to play football. Which is why it was madness to sack him and try a huge u-turn with this group of players. The boardroom deserve relegation and I'm certain it's arriving; sooner rather than later as well.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #404 on: December 20, 2020, 10:18:50 PM »
I’ll give Allardyce 3 months before he resigns.  He won’t want to be tarred with blemishing his record of no relegation from the top tier. 

Our players look so slow and half arsed.  They don’t even protest to the Ref about bad decisions, so weak.

Could be double figures at Anfield.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #405 on: December 20, 2020, 10:35:15 PM »
I'd rather play winning football however its achieved

He was loved at Sunderland

Win at all costs not matter how disgustingly ugly the tactics are. We had that under Pulis which sucked the life out of our football club. Bilic gave us some happiness, this season we are going down, no matter what or who is in charge.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #406 on: December 20, 2020, 10:41:36 PM »
I’ll give Allardyce 3 months before he resigns.  He won’t want to be tarred with blemishing his record of no relegation from the top tier. 

Our players look so slow and half arsed.  They don’t even protest to the Ref about bad decisions, so weak.

Agree with the players bit , should have been appealing the keeper handling out the area and Diang stamp loudly .
Weak minded .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #407 on: December 20, 2020, 10:43:03 PM »
2020.  The worst ever year for Albion ?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #408 on: December 20, 2020, 10:47:28 PM »

Very true, any slight discretion by us the opposition are up in arms. Anything against us our players just scratch their arses and chew gum.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: December 20, 2020, 10:48:06 PM »
Listening to his post match interview l believe he is actually shocked at how bad a side he has inherited and that's solely down to a disinterested owner. Think he will be on blower in the morning for more funds in January and I can't see him taking any advice from Dowling when it comes to potential targets.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #410 on: December 20, 2020, 10:48:22 PM »
2020.  The worst ever year for Albion ?

I suspect we are about to completely self-destruct, similar to Derby in 2008. The end result being that Bilic's premiership record with this team looks half decent.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #411 on: December 20, 2020, 10:49:54 PM »
I suspect we are about to completely self-destruct, similar to Derby in 2008. The end result being that Bilic's premiership record with this team looks half decent.

I think the opposite. In 5 weeks we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about and it'll be Slaven who.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #412 on: December 20, 2020, 10:58:13 PM »
Just read Sams comments. Sounds like hes aiming to move the armband off Livermore permanently. Fantastic news. The only thing that keeps him in the team most the time.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #413 on: December 20, 2020, 11:00:17 PM »
His words about Livermore are music to my ears. The man does not lead by example on the pitch and if Allardyce has said what he says he did to the players and Livermore goes in like that then you’d expect Allardyce to come down on him like a ton of bricks. Who will step up!?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #414 on: December 20, 2020, 11:02:31 PM »
His words about Livermore are music to my ears. The man does not lead by example on the pitch and if Allardyce has said what he says he did to the players and Livermore goes in like that then you’d expect Allardyce to come down on him like a ton of bricks. Who will step up!?

Agreed. Refreshing to read those comments on Jake and the future captaincy.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #415 on: December 20, 2020, 11:04:34 PM »

Yep love the fact in his interview thefirst thing he said at his first session was no more sendings off. We have a record for them and we can't afford it. 30 mins in, step forward Hot-head Livermore.

I think Sam will confine him to the bench now.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #416 on: December 20, 2020, 11:11:07 PM »
From the OS Allardyce says :-

“We need to know how to fight and have a fighting spirit to get out of this position.

"We cannot play our way out of this.

“We are a team that are going to have to battle our way out.

"We can’t play our way out because unfortunately at the moment we haven’t got the confidence or maybe in the long run after assessment, we haven't got the abilities to play our way out.

“We may need a more battling approach playing a particular style of football to get the points we need to get out of trouble.”

Sounds like changes are a coming and with Livermore getting binned off i have hope.

Liverpools a write-off and i'd take a draw against Leeds now realistically and then Jan Window is open and make some changes.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #417 on: December 20, 2020, 11:11:30 PM »
Yep love the fact in his interview thefirst thing he said at his first session was no more sendings off. We have a record for them and we can't afford it. 30 mins in, step forward Hot-head Livermore.

I think Sam will confine him to the bench now.
Not for the next (3?) games hopefully. Would be a bit of a waste of a bench place.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #418 on: December 20, 2020, 11:11:43 PM »
I think the opposite. In 5 weeks we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about and it'll be Slaven who.

Head in the clouds.  What the hell can SA do with this shower?  The players are woeful.  They don't even bother to contest decisions with the Ref.

1 shot / 35% possession at Home in a Derby.

Under Slaven there was at least a capability of being able to pass the ball, possession stats were high, we are -6 pts on VAR.  Bilic was doing a good job with the resources available.

Liverpool must be licking their lips for the next match.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #419 on: December 20, 2020, 11:15:26 PM »
Not for the next (3?) games hopefully. Would be a bit of a waste of a bench place.

Jake will be out partying methinks over the festive season.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #420 on: December 20, 2020, 11:18:11 PM »
From the OS Allardyce says :-

“We need to know how to fight and have a fighting spirit to get out of this position.

"We cannot play our way out of this.

“We are a team that are going to have to battle our way out.

"We can’t play our way out because unfortunately at the moment we haven’t got the confidence or maybe in the long run after assessment, we haven't got the abilities to play our way out.

“We may need a more battling approach playing a particular style of football to get the points we need to get out of trouble.”

Sounds like changes are a coming and with Livermore getting binned off i have hope.

Liverpools a write-off and i'd take a draw against Leeds now realistically and then Jan Window is open and make some changes.

Buckle up lads, sounds like we're in for some exciting football!  I know we were all just saying how we were really missing the Pulis days. 

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #421 on: December 20, 2020, 11:18:27 PM »
Jake will be out partying methinks over the festive season.

Hope he doesn't try to nick a taxi...

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2020, 11:19:22 PM »
Hope he doesn't try to nick a taxi...

I'm sure hes learnt his lesson  :-X

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2020, 11:21:14 PM »
I like what Sam has said tonight
He isnt going to take any poo
The players have had it too comfortable for too long

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #424 on: December 20, 2020, 11:27:11 PM »
I like what Sam has said tonight
He isnt going to take any poo
The players have had it too comfortable for too long

1000000% this. Clearly too nice in the dressing room and on the pitch.

Laidback and chilled or lazy and half-arsed are words that can be used to describe us depending on your viewpoint.

You have to earn the right to play tippy tappy football. You have to stand up and meet the opposition in terms of work rate and desire. It's all cliched stuff because it's true. We can't play competitve games like they are training sessions. No more hiding away, we need people who are going to take the game by the scruff of the neck before we can think about passing triangles going nowhere.

He needs to give them the facts which it sounds like is happening anyway. Half of them are going in the summer anyway hopefully so get rid of what we can now if possible and get some players in who give a damn.