Author Topic: Shane Long Completes Move to Hull City  (Read 512672 times)

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

Re: Shane Long
« Reply #2475 on: January 15, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »
I see it mentioned a lot on here and other social mediums and I don't quite understand it. People suggest that he hasn't been the same since Alan Hutton crocked him against the Villa in 2011. I, personally do not buy that. I thought Long was OK before that injury, nothing more than that and then for the remainder of that season he was average at best. It was from August 2012 to November 2012 where we saw the best of Shane Long but unfortunately, we've seen very little since.

This 100%. Long was top class from August 2012 up until he got injured which is when Lukaku started to start alot of games. We played the best football that ive ever seen with Long playing up front in those months. That Chelsea game at home in November 2012 was something else. Long kept Lukaku out of the team for 4 months

Long has the talent he just isnt consistent with it,you can count on one hand the amount of good games he has had since November 2012

His time is up with us, he has to move on!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2476 on: January 15, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
You're quite right. It was some of the best football I've seen from an Albion side. Playing with a direction and purpose. However, after November had passed our football, with a few exceptions, seemed to get progressively worse and Shane Long has often been at the forefront of that as the lone forward.

It's a crying shame that Clarke couldn't revert back to that free flowing football but hopefully Pepe Mel will.

So if Long was a part of the side that played its best football under Clarke and then when he returned to the side it was hoofball who is to blame ? Long seems to be getting all of it when perhaps he was only part of it.

Hope he goes to Hull or wherever and does well for them. I was concerned at the price we paid when he arrived but hopefully we will get a decent amount back when he goes.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2477 on: January 15, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »
A lot of people saying the Hutton tackle changed him but how many games did Long play before the injury can't have been more than 6?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2478 on: January 15, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
So if Long was a part of the side that played its best football under Clarke and then when he returned to the side it was hoofball who is to blame ? Long seems to be getting all of it when perhaps he was only part of it.

Hope he goes to Hull or wherever and does well for them. I was concerned at the price we paid when he arrived but hopefully we will get a decent amount back when he goes.

The solid back five supplemented by Yacob and Mulumbu was the major factor in our early season success. James Morrison also was superb, another who has yet to offer anything worthy of note since November 2012. I think the whole side got a boost from that spine, though. It was no surprise that when that core was broken, through injury or suspension or whatever else that we appeared to struggle as a side.

As for who was is to blame for our hoofball- the coaching staff, Shane Long and our back four.

I do believe that his lack of ability with his feet is often a cause of our centre halves deciding for the long ball - that and our lack of movement throughout midfield and in the forward areas.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2479 on: January 15, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
The solid back five supplemented by Yacob and Mulumbu was the major factor in our early season success. James Morrison also was superb, another who has yet to offer anything worthy of note since November 2012. I think the whole side got a boost from that spine, though. It was no surprise that when that core was broken, through injury or suspension or whatever else that we appeared to struggle as a side.

As for who was is to blame for our hoofball- the coaching staff, Shane Long and our back four.

I do believe that his lack of ability with his feet is often a cause of our centre halves deciding for the long ball - that and our lack of movement throughout midfield and in the forward areas.

So basically despite the slating he's been getting on here almost on a level to that what Luke Moore was getting in some quarters its not all his fault that we have a system to which he doesn't fit and have not managed to replicate the performances we had when he first came.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2480 on: January 15, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »
I dont think its even close to the abuse luke moore got personally, some things i heard being shouted towards moore and instances from open training seshions made me embarrassed and disgusted, long will be liked for hes fantastic work rate and good attitude like most have said i wish him a bright future.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2481 on: January 15, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »
A lot of people saying the Hutton tackle changed him but how many games did Long play before the injury can't have been more than 6?

For me he largely got worked out by defenders when he came back from injury and he either couldn't or didn't adapt his game. The injury no doubt set him back a little and the style of play we continually reverted to when he played didn't help him.

For me it makes good business sense to cash in on him now, best for the club to recoup some money rather than lose him on a free and best for Long to have a fresh start elsewhere. I thank him for his efforts but feel we can do better in the long term if you pardon the pun.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2482 on: January 15, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
So basically despite the slating he's been getting on here almost on a level to that what Luke Moore was getting in some quarters its not all his fault that we have a system to which he doesn't fit and have not managed to replicate the performances we had when he first came.

No, not everything is his fault, but if performances aren't good enough then he is going to get criticised. I don't think anybody can deny that apart from two halves of football, he has been largely anonymous for twelve months or more.

And for what it's worth, I think he does suit this system as I don't feel he is capable of building up partnerships with anybody else in the side, unlike Vydra and Berahino who on their first appearances in the lone forward role struck up good understandings with the man playing behind them.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2483 on: January 15, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
We also played some great football in that time period, I can't recall much hoofball during the first few months of Clarke's reign and that was with Long leading the line. I do think it's best for him to leave though, we're not going to get a better offer and he's not going to get any better now.

We also had quality in Odemwingie, Lukaku and Gera in the side early last season which meant we could play better football. Ironically Brunt didn't feature much during that period either.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2484 on: January 15, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »
For me he largely got worked out by defenders when he came back from injury and he either couldn't or didn't adapt his game. The injury no doubt set him back a little and the style of play we continually reverted to when he played didn't help him.

For me it makes good business sense to cash in on him now, best for the club to recoup some money rather than lose him on a free and best for Long to have a fresh start elsewhere. I thank him for his efforts but feel we can do better in the long term if you pardon the pun.
I agree 100%. When he first arrived defences struggled with him running in behind, but by the second half of the season they had worked him out. His problem then was that he had no Plan B
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

anew

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2485 on: January 15, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
I agree 100%. When he first arrived defences struggled with him running in behind, but by the second half of the season they had worked him out. His problem then was that he had no Plan B

Did you watch his recent performances against Chelsea and villa ?????

Jesus wept !

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2486 on: January 15, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »

Jesus wept !

You've named two performances - although it could be argued he was only noticeable for a half each.

Regardless, what about the previous twelve months before that? Or the last month and a bit since the Villa game where yet again we've seen nothing from him? All I can remember from Shane Long since the Villa game is a stinking attitude and two glaring misses against Cardiff and Southampton which have helped cost us points.

The Villa game, in particular the first half, should not be used as a justification for keeping him - it was a once in a blue moon performance. Let's not allow that first half to mask his performances of the last year and a bit.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2487 on: January 15, 2014, 09:52:07 PM »

Jesus wept !

Recent? those two performaces were from the middle of November? Is it a two game (two half, as Long was awful in the first half against Chelsea and the 2nd Against Villa) season now?

Thats all he has done all season 2 halves of football. I cant remember anything of note since November 2012 (apart from those 2 halves)

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2488 on: January 15, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »
Recent? those two performaces were from the middle of November? Is it a two game (two half, as Long was awful in the first half against Chelsea and the 2nd Against Villa) season now?

Thats all he has done all season 2 halves of football. I cant remember anything of note since November 2012 (apart from those 2 halves)

Long clearly lacks the tools to lead our line. A good game, or good half even, once every 5 or 10 or 20 games is nowhere near good enough. We need to move on from Long simply because he lacks the skill set needed to lead the line for us. That's a simple, unavoidable fact made ABUNDANTLY CLEAR over the time he has been with us. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:07:08 PM by GrGr »

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2489 on: January 15, 2014, 11:49:45 PM »

Agree with this, Long had only played around 6/7 games before the Hutton injury.

The deficiencies in his game have nothing to do with Hutton, they existed before and after the injury.   The injury Long sustained is not accountable for his poor first touch, nor is it to blame for his lack of ruthlessness in front of goal, nor has it anything to do with his unintelligent and unimaginative hold and link up play.

Infact the only thing the injury would have most likely affected is Long’s pace, yet conversely this is still very evident, you don’t see Long beating players but he never had the technical finesse to do so, but what he does retain is a raw pace that allows him to run in behind defences.

This sounds like a rather disparaging post on Long which is unfortunate, I like Long, he is a good team player and an exceptional and tireless worker, however he has far too many technical deficits which result in him being an inconsistent performer.

Those who say the Hutton injury finished him might want to remember the game he played against Chelsea at home, a game in which he dominated Cahill – it was by far his best game for us and it was well after his injury problems.  Unfortunately performances like that didn't come around often enough from him.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:52:52 PM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2490 on: January 16, 2014, 01:00:15 AM »
Agree with this, Long had only played around 6/7 games before the Hutton injury.

The deficiencies in his game have nothing to do with Hutton, they existed before and after the injury.   The injury Long sustained is not accountable for his poor first touch, nor is it to blame for his lack of ruthlessness in front of goal, nor has it anything to do with his unintelligent and unimaginative hold and link up play.

Infact the only thing the injury would have most likely affected is Long’s pace, yet conversely this is still very evident, you don’t see Long beating players but he never had the technical finesse to do so, but what he does retain is a raw pace that allows him to run in behind defences.

This sounds like a rather disparaging post on Long which is unfortunate, I like Long, he is a good team player and an exceptional and tireless worker, however he has far too many technical deficits which result in him being an inconsistent performer.

Those who say the Hutton injury finished him might want to remember the game he played against Chelsea at home, a game in which he dominated Cahill – it was by far his best game for us and it was well after his injury problems.  Unfortunately performances like that didn't come around often enough from him.

Explained it to a tee mate, like you said unfortunate because very likable because of hes work ethic and team work. I sometimes think some strikers know they are good and this leads to there poor work rate, players like Anelka and Rooney are rare nowadays because there not afraid to run around and get back as well as drop deep to collect the ball.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2491 on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »
Fee agreed with Hull. Rising to £7m eventually according to Madely and Lepko on twitter.

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2492 on: January 16, 2014, 08:40:15 AM »
Fee agreed with Hull. Rising to £7m eventually according to Madely and Lepko on twitter.

If true that seems like decent bargaining by the Albion. A bit like when we convinced Watford that Ellington was worth £3 million!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2493 on: January 16, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
Wont be happy unless he is replaced but i doubt it.Maybe Rosenberg will flourish given the opportunity but i doubt it
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2494 on: January 16, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
Wont be happy unless he is replaced but i doubt it.Maybe Rosenberg will flourish given the opportunity but i doubt it

Does it really matter if he isnt replaced? He hasnt offered anything for ages. Weve got 4 other strikers and sess could play up top. If Mel goes with 1 striker then even more reason why he dosent need replacing

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2495 on: January 16, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Wouldn't be overly worried if Shane Long isn't directly replaced, but would like to see some of the money go to a decent left-back to compete with Ridgewell.
Think by sounds of deal, it is probably the best for both West Brom and Shane Long.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2496 on: January 16, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »
Might be a good 'potential' deal if all the add-ons come to fruition BUT it's not such a great deal if we don't replace as we are effectively weakening our squad by losing our No. 1-2 striker (his poor form puts him behind Berahino at the mo I think).
Add in the fact that we never seem to get two games together from Sick Vic and Anelka hardly looks like scoring and you can see we only really have the inexperienced duo of Vydra (loan player) and Berahino to pin the season's hopes upon.
Who knows how he may have flourished under Pepe ? We are also strengthening a relegation rival at the same time.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

popmonkey

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2497 on: January 16, 2014, 09:26:17 AM »
Does anyone else think selling to a rival club is a stupid thing to do. When you're desperate for points, one goal could mean the difference between staying up or not. While Long's finishing isnt perfect, he's one of the hardest workers on the pitch. Stick him with someone who complements his style and you've got a very dangerous player.

There is no chance we could replace him from the fund we're likely to receive from Hull, so it is a huge gamble by the club.
Going down the Brummie Road... To see the Albion Aces!

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2498 on: January 16, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
We need to do three things this window

A) reduce the 25 man squad to 22/23 as JP wants (Camp gone, others going)
B) reduce our wage bill as it's at it's absolute maximum
C) produce some funds for Mel to bring in a loan or such to assist him

The sale of Long does all three, no hard feelings to the lad and good luck!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2499 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
We need to do three things this window

A) reduce the 25 man squad to 22/23 as JP wants (Camp gone, others going)

WHY ?  That's just a preference, an arbitry number - the squad was too small for the second half of last season.

B) reduce our wage bill as it's at it's absolute maximum

Who said it's at the 'absolute maximum' ? Do we have to believe every bit of spin given out by JP ?

C) produce some funds for Mel to bring in a loan or such to assist him

AGREED on that if the funds are put to use to help us stay up otherwise we are weakening the squad !

The sale of Long does all three, no hard feelings to the lad and good luck!
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !