Author Topic: 26 Dec 2018 Albion 2 Wigan Athletic 0  (Read 31716 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2018, 05:14:32 PM »
We didn't do anything spectacular, we didn't need to, Wigan were poor and we cantered to a win. Desperately hoping our best striker isn't badly injured.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #176 on: December 26, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »
I missed most of the game. What happened to Gayle?

Behind Barnes I'd say he's our most important player this season. Maybe we will sign a striker in January.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #177 on: December 26, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »

Behind Barnes I'd say he's our most important player this season. Maybe we will sign a striker in January.

Got clipped before he set up the first goal. Unsure if it was heel, ankle or knee that was the problem but looked more precautionary than anything serious
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #178 on: December 26, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »
Solid performance as mentioned didn't need to be at our best against Wigan thought Barry was our best player with Hegazi solid in defence. Puzzled by position played by kanu as he is not a centre forward when he came on.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #179 on: December 26, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
Looked pretty simple, really. Not much drama needed (unlike elsewhere) to get the result...

We now have the most points we've ever had at this stage of the Championship season... ;D

Really? Wow that’s impressive.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #180 on: December 26, 2018, 05:30:03 PM »

Hamstring injury

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »
Another professional performance - Wigan were very poor and we looked pretty comfortable.

First half seemed a bit lacking in energy - despite controlling the game. Second half was much of the same although there was more urgency in our forward play.

Barry was yet again a class above. Oozes class

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #182 on: December 26, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »
Not the greatest game, but take the points.

Gareth Barry was absolutely superb yet again. Still cannot believe we went 15 games with Brunt in the centre of our midfield...

If Gayle is out, please try Sako out wide and not HRK who just is not a footballer. One good game against Leeds versus 50 other games of utter dross for us.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
Professional performance again, Barry as stated a class act. Could do without any injuries or suspensions from the midfield 3 as they seen settled and better than any others as a combination with Morrison coming on when needed.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2018, 06:11:09 PM »
Just to add thought the referee was shocking for both teams. Gibbs challenge early on could and possibly should have given them a pen and the challenge on Rodriguez towards the end was appalling. Joe Garner seemed determined to get himself sent off.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #185 on: December 26, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »
We weren’t great today but did enough to win, Barry was absolutely outstanding again. I hope the minute the clock strikes midnight on the 1st & the window opens we are in for a right back. I feel for Tosin he clearly isn’t a right back and is doing the best he can but everything came down his side and on several occasions he didn’t pick up the man at the back post and it very nearly cost us. Get a decent right back in and I think we’l be a lot more balanced.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #186 on: December 26, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »
That Rodriguez is rubbish isn't he??!! ;D

Joking apart, solid but unspectacular performance today. Barry was class again, I thought Jake played well and I thought Hegazi was commanding. The negative points for me were Dawson's poor distribution, and  [for a change] Tosin was absolute bobbins........if Wigan could have been more accurate we would have lost that game, so hopefully we will learn something from it, they will not all be that easy.

MAGA!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #187 on: December 26, 2018, 06:28:32 PM »
Another 3 points.
Clean sheet. Consecutive clean sheets (will give Johnstone & co confidence)
Caught 2 points up on Norwich
Subs used well. Livermore & Gibbs both played 90 at Rotherham.
Rodriguez positive contribution hopefully gives him much needed confidence boost.

Only sour note is Gayle going off. Hopefully just precautionary and nothing too serious.
Bar that late goals for Norwich and Leeds are hard to take. Hopefully we can gain more ground Saturday
O Albion we love you

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #188 on: December 26, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »
A pleasing win - these are the type of games we normally slip up in
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #189 on: December 26, 2018, 06:41:44 PM »
Have to be happy with the win but there is too much sloppy play through out the game for me to be convinced they can keep on the heels of the top two. Darren Moore has mentioned on radio wm there are areas he is not happy with, I can only think he is talking about this. The passing, the movement and decision making all need improving, otherwise better teams than Wigan will take advantage.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #190 on: December 26, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »
24,450 Albion fans in attendance today. 1,105 from Wigan.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #191 on: December 26, 2018, 06:47:05 PM »
We looked comfortable without ever really getting going today. Much the better team though. Goals came at the right times for us.

Second consecutive clean sheet.

Happy enough.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2018, 06:51:18 PM »
First time I have seen us live for a while. Great performance which I really enjoyed. Looked like we never really got out of 2nd gear but Wigan did well to contain us and were a physical side.

Only criticism is we despratly need a right back the lad fr0m Man city looks a liability every time he is near the ball.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #193 on: December 26, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »
Just to add thought the referee was shocking for both teams. Gibbs challenge early on could and possibly should have given them a pen and the challenge on Rodriguez towards the end was appalling. Joe Garner seemed determined to get himself sent off.

Haven't had a chance to look again but the challenge on Hegazi from Garner looked like two feet off the ground. Not even 5 meters in front of the Linesman!

Agree about the Gibbs challenge - felt that was a stonewall pen.

He/him

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #194 on: December 26, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »
We should have had a penalty when Barnes was pushed in the box from a high through ball in the second half. Clear hands in his back and pushed over. Right in line with where I sit.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #195 on: December 26, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »
Haven't had a chance to look again but the challenge on Hegazi from Garner looked like two feet off the ground. Not even 5 meters in front of the Linesman!

Agree about the Gibbs challenge - felt that was a stonewall pen.

Hegazi tackle was right in front of me. Two footed, won the ball first but studs were kept down and he went straight through the player. Shall we say it was a strikers tackle.

However, last ten minutes, on the edge of their box. Jrod was tackled which looked worse to me. Then Barnes
 was shoved in mid air by last man, for me was a clear goal scoring opportunity. Neither were penalised!
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #196 on: December 26, 2018, 07:09:23 PM »
Good win, as others have said, at a canter.

Another side that has worked out that to keep Barnes quiet you put your biggest defender behind him and keep him back to goal.

I thought Tosin was ok, clearly has learned that when in doubt hoof it! HRK was fine for me, held the ball up but is selfish when he should pass and passes when he should have a go. 2 good finishes for JRod, didn't think he was getting up after that tackle on the edge of their box. Barry again MOTM, simply class and allows Jake to push on.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #197 on: December 26, 2018, 07:31:12 PM »
Happy with the 3 points. Barry outstanding, although I thought he overplayed some balls at the end of the second half. Really happy with the centre-backs and Johnstone in goal. J-Rod worked really hard and took his two goals really well. Some days you just have to grind out a win and as we don't do that very often, it is pleasing when we do.

However, we must get a RB as soon as the window is open. Tosin is pretty much filling in with 5/10 performances most games. It's obvious teams are targetting him and there were some sloppy free kicks given away in the first half especially. 

All in all, happy with the boxing day points.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #198 on: December 26, 2018, 07:41:12 PM »
Did Hegazi pick up a knock?
He was playing up front the last couple of minutes and walked off quite slowly
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #199 on: December 26, 2018, 07:59:19 PM »
Did Hegazi pick up a knock?
He was playing up front the last couple of minutes and walked off quite slowly

Yes he was down at a goal kick or throw-in towards the end - was stretching his calf.

Hegazi tackle was right in front of me. Two footed, won the ball first but studs were kept down and he went straight through the player. Shall we say it was a strikers tackle.

However, last ten minutes, on the edge of their box. Jrod was tackled which looked worse to me. Then Barnes
 was shoved in mid air by last man, for me was a clear goal scoring opportunity. Neither were penalised!

So he wasn't in control and used excessive force? That's a red isn't it?

The push on Barnes looked soft from where I was in the East Stand. Yes there was contact, but throwing the hands up in the air made it less likely the foul would be given.

I'm struggling to remember what happened to Jay, but I remember him being down.

He/him