Author Topic: Interesting article - data not humans  (Read 3447 times)

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Interesting article - data not humans
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
Just thought I'd share this article, which I think is a fantastic and really interesting read.

It details how a small Danish club are using a revolutionary stats based approach to running their club with remarkable results (they are top of the top division), the owner of the club also owns Brentford who are also on the rise.  It's not as dry as it sounds!

https://decorrespondent.nl/2607/How-data-not-humans-run-this-Danish-football-club/230219386155-d2948861
"This crack is really moreish."

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

Re: Interesting article - data not humans
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 12:03:39 PM »
The Brentford owner came out recently and stated this is the reason behind Warburton leaving at the end of the season as he was reluctant to hand over the reins on transfers and player recruitment to a data bod. It will be interesting to see how this pans out, I hope it goes well. In many ways we incorporate certain aspects of this model into the way we run ourselves in particular when we had Ashworth.

Lots of parallels to Moneyball if anyone has ever read / seen that? It's worth noting that Billy Beane the man behind Moneyball has recently been appointed at AZ Alkmaar in an advisory role. More of this school of thought seems to creeping into modern football it seems, hopefully allowing teams with smaller budgets to level the playing field somewhat.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »
The Brentford owner came out recently and stated this is the reason behind Warburton leaving at the end of the season as he was reluctant to hand over the reins on transfers and player recruitment to a data bod. It will be interesting to see how this pans out, I hope it goes well. In many ways we incorporate certain aspects of this model into the way we run ourselves in particular when we had Ashworth.

Lots of parallels to Moneyball if anyone has ever read / seen that? It's worth noting that Billy Beane the man behind Moneyball has recently been appointed at AZ Alkmaar in an advisory role. More of this school of thought seems to creeping into modern football it seems, hopefully allowing teams with smaller budgets to level the playing field somewhat.

I remember when Ashworth was in charge it was a model we had in mind, even if we didn't use it outright; it was something we bore in mind during scouting. I think it can work in the right hands.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 02:29:20 PM »

good read, I wdo wonder if Sam Allardyce has been adopting this approach for some years, (more by intuition than analysis maybe)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »
I wonder what system TP adopts for his player recruitment?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 02:45:29 PM »
I wonder what system TP adopts for his player recruitment?

Am I looking up to him? does he understand me?  can he hoof it, when required? Can he run all day? When I shout jump-does he?

JUMP !!

he did, he's signed!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
To be fair Pulis can't do much worse than the player recruitment of the past two seasons with the odd exception. Fletcher has been a great signing and McManaman has great potential. Enjoyed reading that article and some good points made especially about the importance of watching videos of a player in lots of games instead of sending scouts to live matches to base a player on a few games.
the regime don't like it man

albiontilidie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 03:11:26 PM »
Very interesting article of how it all works, Good read

Thats Benham stats company - Smart odds if anyone fancies looking into it even more
Oh Nottm Oh Nottm is full of fun is full of fun

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 04:49:06 PM »
Statistical analysis clearly has a place in football, but it will never produce the results it will in a sport like baseball in my opinion.

Baseball is quite repetitive in its nature - pitch, swing, pitch, swing.  Football has far too many variables, far more thinking in game and the opponents can do far more to effect a players choices and options. 

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »
Statistical analysis clearly has a place in football, but it will never produce the results it will in a sport like baseball in my opinion.

Baseball is quite repetitive in its nature - pitch, swing, pitch, swing.  Football has far too many variables, far more thinking in game and the opponents can do far more to effect a players choices and options.

I think you have a very good point there, but I also think that with computer mathematical modelling I'm sure variables could be included or excluded to produce a fairly reliable outcome
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »
Imagine what the post match analysis will be like with scientists. It's dreadful enough with ex-players.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »

I agree with this but I also think that it can have an effect.

I read the other day about Billy Beane saying that the people that own the Oakland A's baseball team also own an MLS team (San Jose Earthquakes I think) and that he was trying to replicate what he does with the Baseball equation to football but that he is yet to come up with anything yet due to all the extra factors of football plus the added salary cap issues with MLS.

Maybe if he can get something to work with AZ it might start filtering into more clubs