Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 676117 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2019, 09:08:36 PM »
All this talk of Slaven, I was half expecting Jenkins and Dowling to pull a fast one and announce “Slaven has always been our number one target, and he fits all the criteria we had for the role ........... and we have admired Bernie since his days at Middlesbrough!” ;)

Very funny!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2019, 09:57:59 PM »
Wonder when he'll be presented to the media?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2019, 10:02:39 PM »
Wonder when he'll be presented to the media?

Sure I saw something earlier that it could be Monday as he in Croatia at the moment

AbbeymeadBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »
My first post.

Yes why not.

Slaven for the long overdue rebuild, possibly from our youth, possibly from young aspiring Croats.

Regret - immediately appointed after DM = promotion

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2019, 10:04:58 PM »
At last, something interesting happens at this football club.

Bilic is far from the most technical and tactically astute head coach around, but I'm over the moon that we've got someone into the club with knowledge of football outside of this country. Need to back him in the transfer market now.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2019, 11:33:46 PM »
I wish him all the best, I can’t say that I envy him working for Lai and Jenkins. Hopefully, though, we’ll see some entertaining football. I would have preferred Adkins or Pearson but not unhappy with this. Welcome Slaven, and good luck!

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2019, 04:58:41 AM »
Happy with the appointment but as he is likely to try and sign at least a few foreign players I’m a bit concerned his wings might be clipped post Brexit depending on any new employment rules for Europeans. If so this window might be the only one he can get the players he wants. Anybody more knowledgeable than me on this ?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »
Happy with the appointment but as he is likely to try and sign at least a few foreign players I’m a bit concerned his wings might be clipped post Brexit depending on any new employment rules for Europeans. If so this window might be the only one he can get the players he wants. Anybody more knowledgeable than me on this ?

Brexit won’t be a huge issue for football.  It just means that European players will need work permits instead of automatically having a right to work in the UK.  There will be minimum criteria required to be met to get a work permit, so some lower level European players won’t meet that criteria, but that’s the main difference that we will see.

cewba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2019, 07:19:41 AM »
very pleased with this development, a nice rebuild now with our new man backed to the hilt will make me a very  happy baggie

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2019, 08:07:39 AM »
Bilic wouldn't have been my choice due to the huge rebuild needed and the fact he's never been near the dog fight we find ourselves in at this level .
That said he's here now and adds a freshness the club has needed , I only hope he is backed with some decent funds.
Welcome Slav and good luck.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2019, 08:47:57 AM »
Looking forward to the next season now
COYB
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
I'm pleased with this appointment. In fact , it's the best coach we could have signed.

the other names mentioned would have been interesting but they all had problems with them.

Labbida has never managed in this country, Cowley has never managed at this level, Monk has never really achieved anything, Wilder was never going to leave Sheffield.

So all in all this is the best we could have got.  If he could talk Rondon in staying, Gayle to take a cut in wages, Leicester to part with Harvey Barnes, Fulham to release Johannson and Everton to release Holgate , we could be walking this league next season !!!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2019, 09:06:28 AM »
3 months later than it should have been but we got there in the end! The other winner out of this saga is Alex Neil, he got himself a tidy pay rise out of Preston from his link to us!  ;)
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2019, 09:12:17 AM »
Bilic wouldn't have been my choice due to the huge rebuild needed and the fact he's never been near the dog fight we find ourselves in at this level .
That said he's here now and adds a freshness the club has needed , I only hope he is backed with some decent funds.
Welcome Slav and good luck.

You have stolen my thoughts. Whilst I am optimistic and happy with the appointment, a small part of me is nervous about the work that's needed to actually rebuild this squad once the wage bill has been reduced.

That being said, Slav seems an interesting character and I cant for one second think he would have taken this job without reassurances on being back in the transfer window.

Over to you again Dowling and Jenkins, time to back the bloke you want in the job and give him a fighting chance of getting us back up.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
You have stolen my thoughts. Whilst I am optimistic and happy with the appointment, a small part of me is nervous about the work that's needed to actually rebuild this squad once the wage bill has been reduced.

That being said, Slav seems an interesting character and I cant for one second think he would have taken this job without reassurances on being back in the transfer window.

Over to you again Dowling and Jenkins, time to back the bloke you want in the job and give him a fighting chance of getting us back up.
Dowling has to be involved in the recruitment as much as Bilic as we have to have some sort of strategy that will continue beyond Bilic's tenure. He must have been the main voice in decisions like releasing Morrison and Barry and despite press mutterings about they could theoretically be taken back on that should not happen (even in the unlikely scenario of Bilic saying he strongly wants one or both of these).

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2019, 10:10:54 AM »
I asked a mate of mine, who has a season ticket at West Ham, what he thought of Bilic...

"Absolutely loved the guy. The Payet situation and Sullivan trying to control player signings screwed him over. I think he could be great for you. I'll be following you next season."

Personally, I am absolutely delighted. After Pulis, Pardew and then what the club did to DM I'd fallen out of love with the club and football.

For the first time since Roy Hodgson, I'm actually excited about the future of the club.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:13:04 AM by cornishbaggie »

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:30 AM »

We have always had trouble getting work permits for players when other clubs have no problem at all,..so it shouldn't affect us anymore than it already does.

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »
I would imagine that in the negotiations, Bilic would have made it clear that he has the final say and control over players. Hopefully he goes in and rips out deadwood and the old pals brigade that has clung on to contracts and stole a living from this football club by outstaying their welcome for far too long.

We need to be astute in the loan market for sure but let’s get the high wages out and the bring some youth through and hunger in.

Reece Oxford as the first one through the door would be a promising sign and a signal that young players have a future at this football club.

We desperately could do with a couple of midfielders who can help us become a possession based team again- anyone you think could be on Slavs radar from his past that could be thy player?

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »
New article up on the official site:

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/june/bili-on-championship-ambitions-and-albion-traditions/

Bilić on Championship ambitions and Albion traditions

Slaven Bilić has made it clear he is relishing his first crack at a competition he describes as “the essence of football".

The 50-year-old Croatian was confirmed as Albion's new Head Coach on Thursday and, despite a career which has taken him all over Europe and to two European Championships at both club and international level, the season approaching will be his first taste of the Championship.

It is a division which he says has long fascinated him - “my friends will tell you it has been on my bucket list” - and the chance to take it on with the Baggies was hugely appealing.

Bilić said: “First of all, my friends know, and my fellow coaches know, not just here in Croatia but throughout Europe, that the Championship was always a competition that was on my bucket list.

“This is a common view and not just with me, I assure you. This is a view held by many coaches all over Europe.

“It is like the real essence of football; it is a proper league and when I get the chance to manage one of the strongest clubs in this division, it was an easy decision to make.

“I’ve played in England, I’ve managed in England. I know the club, I know West Bromwich Albion and its history, its traditions. I know their story.”
Astle is the King

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2019, 11:36:20 AM »
New article up on the official site:

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/june/bili-on-championship-ambitions-and-albion-traditions/

Bilić on Championship ambitions and Albion traditions

Slaven Bilić has made it clear he is relishing his first crack at a competition he describes as “the essence of football".

The 50-year-old Croatian was confirmed as Albion's new Head Coach on Thursday and, despite a career which has taken him all over Europe and to two European Championships at both club and international level, the season approaching will be his first taste of the Championship.

It is a division which he says has long fascinated him - “my friends will tell you it has been on my bucket list” - and the chance to take it on with the Baggies was hugely appealing.

Bilić said: “First of all, my friends know, and my fellow coaches know, not just here in Croatia but throughout Europe, that the Championship was always a competition that was on my bucket list.

“This is a common view and not just with me, I assure you. This is a view held by many coaches all over Europe.

“It is like the real essence of football; it is a proper league and when I get the chance to manage one of the strongest clubs in this division, it was an easy decision to make.

“I’ve played in England, I’ve managed in England. I know the club, I know West Bromwich Albion and its history, its traditions. I know their story.”

haha yeah ok, I believe you  ;D

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »
I'm pleased with this appointment. In fact , it's the best coach we could have signed.

the other names mentioned would have been interesting but they all had problems with them.

Labbida has never managed in this country, Cowley has never managed at this level, Monk has never really achieved anything, Wilder was never going to leave Sheffield.

So all in all this is the best we could have got.  If he could talk Rondon in staying, Gayle to take a cut in wages, Leicester to part with Harvey Barnes, Fulham to release Johannson and Everton to release Holgate , we could be walking this league next season !!!
If he could do that the government should employ him to resolve world peace, famine and brexit!!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »
If he could do that the government should employ him to resolve world peace, famine and brexit!!

Well he couldn't do any worse than the idiots who are trying to do it now !!!!

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »
I would imagine that in the negotiations, Bilic would have made it clear that he has the final say and control over players. Hopefully he goes in and rips out deadwood and the old pals brigade that has clung on to contracts and stole a living from this football club by outstaying their welcome for far too long.

We need to be astute in the loan market for sure but let’s get the high wages out and the bring some youth through and hunger in.

Reece Oxford as the first one through the door would be a promising sign and a signal that young players have a future at this football club.

We desperately could do with a couple of midfielders who can help us become a possession based team again- anyone you think could be on Slavs radar from his past that could be thy player?

Mark Noble - new captain  ;D

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2019, 02:46:20 PM »
My first post.

Yes why not.

Slaven for the long overdue rebuild, possibly from our youth, possibly from young aspiring Croats.

Regret - immediately appointed after DM = promotion

Welcome aboard, what took you so long?  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2019, 03:00:34 PM »
Welcome Slaven. :)
Passionate and attacking-mind coach, hope it would be a good appointment.
The PRIDE of midlands