Author Topic: Kieran Gibbs  (Read 167391 times)

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Kieran Gibbs
« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
Acquah is described as a defensive midfielder on Wiki.

Surely not.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »
Acquah is described as a defensive midfielder on Wiki.

Surely not.

transfermarkt have him down as a "central midfielder"

https://www.transfermarkt.com/afriyie-acquah/profil/spieler/145581
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #252 on: August 06, 2018, 11:53:57 AM »
Hope there's something in it, he's rubbish.

I'd take a defensive midfielder and give Townsend a chance. Had a quick Google of that Acquah, looks strong and athletic, two things we were missing from a powderpuff midfield display at the weekend.

Would be a good deal if we can get it done.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #253 on: August 06, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »
Acquah description on wiki:

A strong, talented and tenacious player, Acquah usually plays as a defensive midfielder in front of the defence, due to his pace, physicality, stamina and abilities as a ball-winner.[30][31][32] Although he is primarily known for his defensive coverage, he is a versatile player, who can play anywhere in midfield; he has also been used in more advanced roles, or as a central midfielder, where he is capable of helping his team both offensively and defensively due to his work-rate, composure, temperament, consistency, and ability to make attacking runs into the opposition's penalty area.[30][31][33][34][35][36] Despite his lack of particularly notable technical skills, he has also been used as a deep-lying playmaker on occasion, due to his solid first touch, ability to set the tempo of his team's play and subsequently start attacking plays with long balls after winning back possession.[30][37][38] Although naturally right-footed, he is capable of striking or passing the ball well with either foot.[31] His precocious performances as youngster and energetic playing style in midfield have drawn comparisons with compatriot Michael Essien.[31]

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #254 on: August 06, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »
and seeing how Brunt and Livermore defended on saturday we could do with someone defensive in there.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2018, 11:58:37 AM »
transfermarkt have him down as a "central midfielder"

https://www.transfermarkt.com/afriyie-acquah/profil/spieler/145581

A strong, talented and tenacious player, Acquah usually plays as a defensive midfielder in front of the defence, due to his pace, physicality, stamina and abilities as a ball-winner.[

Checking his career stats hes scored 5 in 71 for Torino, certainly not someone who gets himself in the box too much.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #256 on: August 06, 2018, 12:10:55 PM »
How old is he?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #257 on: August 06, 2018, 12:12:59 PM »
How old is he?

Acquah is 26, will be 27 in Jan.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #258 on: August 06, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »
How old is he?

Assuming you mean the player 'reportedly' coming our way, hes 26.

If this rumour does have legs to it, wouldn't that require us to buy another full back?

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #259 on: August 06, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »

If this rumour does have legs to it, wouldn't that require us to buy another full back?

we have Brunt that can play there

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #260 on: August 06, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

Brunt? Need someone to drop out of midfield for new signing?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #261 on: August 06, 2018, 12:30:14 PM »

Yes unless we are happy to go with Conor Tonwsend and Brunt/Nyom as cover.  Only full back interest mentioned  in reports is a right back.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #262 on: August 06, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »
After watching Leeds v Stoke last night how did we not get Barry Douglas from the dingles.
Looks a snip at £3m
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2018, 01:19:58 PM »
After watching Leeds v Stoke last night how did we not get Barry Douglas from the dingles.
Looks a snip at £3m

Yep, thought exactly the same, much better than Gibbs, would have been ideal.

WBASweden

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #264 on: August 06, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
This still sounds like it could happen...

West Bromwich Albion’s Kieran Gibbs is edging closer to a move to Torino, according to Tuttosport.
The Italian daily reports that Granata officials have flown to England to iron out details of a potential transfer, with Afriyie Acquah rumoured to be heading in the opposite direction.

Acquah is a midfielder apparently

Would do this in a heartbeat. Gibbs is bad and Acquah is the type of player we need. It seems he can actually run and pass the ball

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2018, 01:33:19 PM »
I don't mind to let Gibbs go if they make a good offer.
Just want to know the replacement, we must aim for better for a regular starter.
The PRIDE of midlands

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #266 on: August 06, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
Gibbs is a massive disappointment for me,didn't he come wanting to improve his defending under Pulis?
I thought he would be a great signing,see you later and get the DM in

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »
Like many others, I'm not too fussed if we lose Gibbs.

I was quite excited when we signed him in, in the fact I thought he would kick on and look a solid LB for us (after going through the Poco, Davidson era). However he hasn't really done much.

Doesn't offer much going forward in terms of creating a lot, and is usually found wanting when defending.

Happy to see us get some money from him, save on the wages and give this Townsend lad a run of games.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: August 06, 2018, 02:15:57 PM »
Like many others, I'm not too fussed if we lose Gibbs.

I was quite excited when we signed him in, in the fact I thought he would kick on and look a solid LB for us (after going through the Poco, Davidson era). However he hasn't really done much.

Doesn't offer much going forward in terms of creating a lot, and is usually found wanting when defending.

Happy to see us get some money from him, save on the wages and give this Townsend lad a run of games.

I'm all for giving Townsend a chance to see what he can do but I think we still need to get another LB in as cover otherwise it'd be the slow aging Brunt or the terrible Nyom...neither option fills me with joy.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2018, 02:27:34 PM »
I'm all for giving Townsend a chance to see what he can do but I think we still need to get another LB in as cover otherwise it'd be the slow aging Brunt or the terrible Nyom...neither option fills me with joy.

I don't want to be branded guilty of shoe-horning Brunt into the side but he would be a more than adequate backup full back in this division. He's better than Gibbs for a start.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »
Although we have loads of centre midfielders we are still lacking in that department mainly due to poor recruitment in that area. Field, Barry, Brunt, Livermore are all very similar in my book.

We need someone in midfield with athleticism, drive, pace, energy and can pass. We don't have that. I would glady swap Gibbs for someone like this and then allow Brunt to play left back and fight it out with Townsend.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2018, 02:35:38 PM »
Although we have loads of centre midfielders we are still lacking in that department mainly due to poor recruitment in that area. Field, Barry, Brunt, Livermore are all very similar in my book.

We need someone in midfield with athleticism, drive, pace, energy and can pass. We don't have that. I would glady swap Gibbs for someone like this and then allow Brunt to play left back and fight it out with Townsend.

+1

Couldn't have put it any better myself. Someone like Woods from Brentford would be ideal. Maybe this is what the club have lined up swapping Gibbs for another midfielder.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #272 on: August 06, 2018, 03:09:00 PM »
Gibbs has looked half @rsed for a while so a swap for anyone could be a good move considering he's still probably well paid. A swap with a midfielder with 'legs' to run (!) would be even better.  Brunt as cover at left back would do for me , in fact Brunt at left is probably one of the best left backs in the league!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #273 on: August 07, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
Just seen that Liverpool have a friendly against Torino tonight, be interesting to see if Gibbs is included (surely if hes in talks with Torino, a lot of those discussions would take place whilst they are in the UK), will also be interesting to see if the Torino lad we are rumoured to be interested in plays.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »
Ironic that we were talking for years about needing a proper left back, and now we have one, people are happy to let him go. I actually thought Gibbs was one of our most consistent performers for most of last season
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure