Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 361064 times)

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1325 on: December 28, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
Jay has put in an all round shift this season.  IMHO he has certainly helped out in midfield just as he did when we beat Liverpool last season.
I wouldn't swop him for Vydra whom I don't recall being that effective when he last played for us. 
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1326 on: December 28, 2018, 10:15:17 AM »
I can't believe ten games in or whatever it is some people still do not understand the system and how we play it.

Jay Rodriguez plays as a forward not in anyway, shape or form as a midfielder. He plays centrally but has a duty to drop slightly deeper than the other two (wide) forwards who are expected to stay up top not tracking back. We play with a fluidity that means we interchange. Because we have Barnes and Gibbs down the left our wide right forward generally tends to get into the box off the ball more often and come infield more. I did wonder whether Gayle could do that initially but he has played the role really well of late.

Matt Phillips does not play wide right, he plays right side of a midfield three. He does tend to try and force the issue out wide at times, sometimes vacating the midfield area which isn't always ideal but the reason he does that is because we don't have a right back that can do anything going forward. The wide right forward often comes inside and leaves the right flank vacant for Phillips to exploit. If we sign Tavernier in January then Phillips will probably modify his game slightly which should benefit the team even more.

Adarabioyo does not form a back three at any time in as much as we don't shuffle across into a defensive three, he just barely gets forward so we have three defenders back but that isn't the same as playing a back three. When he does go forward he barely ever passes forwards and can't cross a ball which is why Phillips sometimes has to force the issue down the right flank.

We do play with a fluidity which sees players turn up in other positions of the field but Jay Rods principal role is to play as a central forward but he doesn't play on the shoulder or with his back to goal he is expected to drop deeper and pick up the ball facing goal.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1327 on: December 28, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
Rodriguez is definitely playing centre forward in a fairly fluid 3. However whoever is the Centre Forward will have to drop deep to provide a platform for the rest of the team to get forward. Jay's role varies slightly depending on who is in the wide right role. When Gayle is on the pitch often he will drop deeper allowing Gayle to be the most advanced player albeit from a wide starting position. On the other hand he will tend to drop less when HRK is on the pitch who is more comfortable with his back to goal.

I suspect Rodriguez is one of those forwards who is loved more by the coaches than the fans. The coaches appreciate a lot of the work he does more than just the finishing off of chances. With regard to selling him of course I would sell him in a heartbeat provided we could replace him with a forward who was totally comfortable playing anywhere across a front 3 who is likely to get us 10 plus goals through the second half of the season. So in other words not for sale not while we are in the promotion mix.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1328 on: December 28, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »
If the chance arose would anyone on here sell Jrod to Burnley for £15m and get vydra or vokes on loan as part of the deal until the end of the season?

Absolutely not. He is a better player than either of those mentioned. And although not what you would call a natural goal scorer like Gayle, does weigh in with a fair number of goals.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1329 on: December 28, 2018, 12:54:36 PM »
In that case you could also argue he's played centre half because he's back there during corners.

Now you are getting silly :)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1330 on: December 29, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
Absolutely not. He is a better player than either of those mentioned. And although not what you would call a natural goal scorer like Gayle, does weigh in with a fair number of goals.

He’s only 1 behind Gayle at the moment.

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1331 on: December 29, 2018, 12:29:40 PM »
I can't believe ten games in or whatever it is some people still do not understand the system and how we play it.

Jay Rodriguez plays as a forward not in anyway, shape or form as a midfielder. He plays centrally but has a duty to drop slightly deeper than the other two (wide) forwards who are expected to stay up top not tracking back. We play with a fluidity that means we interchange. Because we have Barnes and Gibbs down the left our wide right forward generally tends to get into the box off the ball more often and come infield more. I did wonder whether Gayle could do that initially but he has played the role really well of late.

Matt Phillips does not play wide right, he plays right side of a midfield three. He does tend to try and force the issue out wide at times, sometimes vacating the midfield area which isn't always ideal but the reason he does that is because we don't have a right back that can do anything going forward. The wide right forward often comes inside and leaves the right flank vacant for Phillips to exploit. If we sign Tavernier in January then Phillips will probably modify his game slightly which should benefit the team even more.

Adarabioyo does not form a back three at any time in as much as we don't shuffle across into a defensive three, he just barely gets forward so we have three defenders back but that isn't the same as playing a back three. When he does go forward he barely ever passes forwards and can't cross a ball which is why Phillips sometimes has to force the issue down the right flank.

We do play with a fluidity which sees players turn up in other positions of the field but Jay Rods principal role is to play as a central forward but he doesn't play on the shoulder or with his back to goal he is expected to drop deeper and pick up the ball facing goal.

Spot on Atomic.  Agree with every point you made. Couldn't have put it any better myself!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1332 on: December 29, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »

Yes, this assymettry between the way we go forward between left and right could not be outined much more clearly, and as we are setting up with attack very much in mind it is affecting the way we defend.  I do think the CHS are on the lookout for Gibbs being caught forward, so even if Adarabioyo doesn't shuffle across much the CHs seem to a bit.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1333 on: December 29, 2018, 05:50:49 PM »
Anybody see the apparent stamp?

His first sending off in his career and 3 match ban comes when Gayle is out.

I was in the east stand and didn't see anything and actually thought he'd sent one of their's off for something in the melee afterwards.

Prior to that I'd thought he'd become a hacker he was that anonymous.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1334 on: December 29, 2018, 06:36:33 PM »
Anybody see the apparent stamp?

His first sending off in his career and 3 match ban comes when Gayle is out.

I was in the east stand and didn't see anything and actually thought he'd sent one of their's off for something in the melee afterwards.

Prior to that I'd thought he'd become a hacker he was that anonymous.
Here you go make your own mind up I thought he trod on him accidentally trying to get out of the way
https://twitter.com/i/status/1079052522013290496
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1335 on: December 29, 2018, 06:47:24 PM »
Here you go make your own mind up I thought he trod on him accidentally trying to get out of the way

That’s exactly how I saw it. Reckon from the linesman’s angle he’s seen the leg go down after (when JRod lands on the grass over him) and thought that was the stamp since the bloke was rolling round. Imagine it’ll be rescinded. Their bloke then didn’t help himself feigning injury later on when Johnstone got booked either which may help us.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1336 on: December 29, 2018, 07:43:06 PM »
It looks like Rod was trying to get out of the way of tangled legs.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1337 on: December 29, 2018, 08:24:40 PM »
It looks like Rod was trying to get out of the way of tangled legs.
the refs watching it from 5 yards and clearly waves play on so he sees nothing wrong. Rodriguez doesn't look down at the player at anytime so I don't see how he stamps intentionally. I would appeal that and be confident of getting it overturned.

matt_wba912

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1338 on: December 29, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »
when I saw it I said to my dad if the ref/linos seen that then he's off, looked like he consciously moved towards the player from where i was in the brummie.

not massively malicious, more petulant than anything and frankly stupid

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1339 on: December 29, 2018, 08:45:25 PM »
The Wednesday player has gone down under a challenge from Jay. He rolls forward making a total meal of the initial challenge Jay is trying to avoid the player doing his dying fly impression and catches him. It was the linesman who flagged the offence the ref waived play-on.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1340 on: December 29, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »
The Wednesday player has gone down under a challenge from Jay. He rolls forward making a total meal of the initial challenge Jay is trying to avoid the player doing his dying fly impression and catches him. It was the linesman who flagged the offence the ref waived play-on.
As I said earlier...Jay was trying to avoid a tangle of legs.

mikeey89

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1341 on: December 29, 2018, 10:09:09 PM »
From where I was in the East Stand, I had pretty much the same view as the linesman  and it looked to me like an attempt at a stamp. I agreed with the red at first and would’ve been screaming for a red if it was the other way round.

After seeing the replays, I think it was harsh and it’s worth an putting in an appeal.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1342 on: December 30, 2018, 01:25:45 AM »
Impossible to tell at that speed. However, the theatrical roll seems to leave Jay limited space to find anywhere to place his right foot back on the pitch.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1343 on: December 30, 2018, 08:39:45 AM »
Having seen it on replays never once does J Rod look at the player. That doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't intent but I don't think there was. As others have said I think it was more a tangle of legs and Jay had nowhere to put his foot down.

Harsh red, we will appeal and unless there's a different camera angle that is more revealing I'd be surprised if the red isn't rescinded.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1344 on: December 30, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
I sit in the East Stand quite close to where the incident happened. What I saw was J Rod moving his leg backwards possible to untangle it, with minimal contact with the player.  The Wednesday player then went down like he had been shot.  As DM said after the match- nothing in it. My cousin who sits behind me is a former league referee, who was also well sighted.  Worryingly he said that although it was marginal he did understand why it had been given. There was some contact ang getting the red rescinded might not be as straight forward as we might hope.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1345 on: December 30, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
Does appealing the card delay the ban so that he would be available for the Blackburn game?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1346 on: December 30, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »
Does appealing the card delay the ban so that he would be available for the Blackburn game?

I think it usually does not 100% sure though
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1347 on: December 30, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »
I sit in the East Stand quite close to where the incident happened. What I saw was J Rod moving his leg backwards possible to untangle it, with minimal contact with the player.  The Wednesday player then went down like he had been shot.  As DM said after the match- nothing in it. My cousin who sits behind me is a former league referee, who was also well sighted.  Worryingly he said that although it was marginal he did understand why it had been given. There was some contact ang getting the red rescinded might not be as straight forward as we might hope.

Still cannot see why it was given - I thought the Wednesday player should have been booking for feigning injury !
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1348 on: December 30, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
I believe they will decide the appeal outcome tomorrow.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1349 on: December 30, 2018, 12:22:19 PM »
If the prat hadn't been rolling around on the floor he wouldn't have got trodden on. That linesman was very much a "look at me" type of official all game.