Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 361055 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #700 on: February 09, 2018, 12:52:24 PM »
FA have to be seen to take this seriously, however unless EVIDENCE shows Jay did racially abuse Bong then he (Jay) cannot be found guilty.
If Evidence is brought forward which proves Jay did NOT racially abuse Bong then Bong must be guilty of bringing the game into disrepute and sanctioned as such.

My guess, no evidence either way so case dismissed - unresolved, its the only way the FA can reasonably resolve without a merde storm

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #701 on: February 09, 2018, 01:03:07 PM »
Would the FA have charged him if he’d said to a white player ‘You’re white and you stink’. Come on, players are constantly exchanging verbal abuse and we hear nothing about this. I can’t see how Jay can be found guilty. It’s one man’s word against another.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #702 on: February 09, 2018, 01:42:55 PM »
If JRod is proven to say something racist then the club have to sack him and set the standard.

However based on how he reacted at the time and what was allegedly said my instinct is he is innocent.

If its proven he is guilty then i will gladly apologise but does anybody in real life, in a heated moment say 'your black and you stink'?! I cant believe in modern day life anybody would actually adopt that tone, you would hope it would never happen at all but surely a heat of the moment it would be more aggressive, probably swearing, etc, not saying its right but just think how people speak around us everyday, the alleged comment just doesnt sound right.

Sadly like somebody said above, i think the FA will punish him, they want to be seen to do the right thing when it comes to racism and if they do nothing then the campaign groups will be out accusing them, which undermines the good work done by genuine racial awareness campaigners. Probably be a suspended ban which shows they are taking action without actually punishing him by making him miss games, a cop out really.

For him to be found guilty you would think there has to be clear evidence, if thats the case i hope the FA publish the evidence - audio, video, etc whatever they have, if i was Rodriguez i would insist on all these being made public and fight legally to ensure thats the case, whatever the outcome, i would want no grey area, nothing unresolved, you want your name officially cleared if innocent.

As his agent said, even if he is cleared, mud sticks, this has been played out in public, if he is found guilty then he deserves every punishment coming his way, if he is found innocent then he will sadly still have the racist slur attached to his name.

Also if JRod is cleared then i hope Bong receives punishment (think the FA will bottle that because they will be accused of racism then) it would be an insult to people who have genuinely been racially abused who fight hard for justice, awareness, etc that a high profile figure could then just play the race card to suit whatever his agenda is.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:45:20 PM by Albion79 »

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #703 on: February 09, 2018, 02:11:12 PM »
Until i know proper details i dont really wanna comment on it, but if they're is conclusive proof he DIDNT say the part referencing his skin colour i hope the fa charge bong. That being said if its proven he DID say that, i will be dissapointed with the club if j-rod isn't immediately sacked.
The legacy of this club should dictate he would have to go.

If they can't prove he did or didnt say it though, it needs to be left alone. It would open the big can of worms and would probably put people off from reporting racist abuse which just isn't acceptable.

Not what we need right now :( the timing of the whole incident and cyrille has left a awful awful taste in my mouth.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #704 on: February 09, 2018, 02:50:41 PM »
Gut feeling tells me no way did Jay say anything racist but Bong. He has either misheard or misrepresented what has been said.
I do hope common sense prevails - unfortunately it rarely does!

Good to see Saints fans supporting Jay
https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/southampton/southampton-fans-react-as-jay-rodriguez-is-charged-with-alleged-racial-abuse

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #705 on: February 09, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »
The fact that Bong's mother language is not english may well have played a role here. Even if he has a good grasp of it, it's always more difficult, to understand someone else's language, especially with regional accents etc. and when not spoken clearly face to face.

Obviously none of us here really know what happened, buy I hope Jay has good expert legal representation if he is innocent.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #706 on: February 09, 2018, 05:45:58 PM »
Rodriguez is innocent until proven guilty and I've seen NO PROOF. But hey you dont need proof where racism allegations are concerned. The mere fact that Bong has claimed the 'race card' MUST mean that Rodriguez is guilty !!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #707 on: February 09, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »
No chance did he say anything racist. He’s got my backing.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #708 on: February 09, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »
Would the FA have charged him if he’d said to a white player ‘You’re white and you stink’. Come on, players are constantly exchanging verbal abuse and we hear nothing about this. I can’t see how Jay can be found guilty. It’s one man’s word against another.
That's irrelevant.
If he did say 'you are black and you stink'  .. it is racist.

I don't believe for one minute  he did though.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #709 on: February 09, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »
I hope the decision isn't fudged, as his reputation will be badly dented if it is, and the no smoke without fire brigade will win the day. If there is no evidence, he is innocent.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #710 on: February 10, 2018, 12:49:39 AM »
That's irrelevant.
If he did say 'you are black and you stink'  .. it is racist.

I don't believe for one minute  he did though.
Is it though?
He is black and he may well stink

If I say Beyoncé is black and can't sing for toffee, is that a racist statement?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #711 on: February 10, 2018, 12:58:45 AM »
Is it though?
He is black and he may well stink

If I say Beyoncé is black and can't sing for toffee, is that a racist statement?

Yes because you are linking a negative connotation to race. How do people not know this? 3rd or 4th post I've seen along these lines.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #712 on: February 10, 2018, 01:49:11 AM »

Yes because you are linking a negative connotation to race. How do people not know this? 3rd or 4th post I've seen along these lines.

Hmmm. I'm not sure it's that simple. If I say "black people can usually sing well and dance well, but she is terrible", is it racist? It's not saying she can't sing due to her skin colour, but it's still negative. It's all getting very blurry.

It's fashionable to stand up to racism against minorities, that's why people do it. I've been racially abused, some of it is still on my Twitter feed from a couple of months ago. But does anyone care or stand up for me? No, why do you think that is? (And it's not because I've been racist).

It seems to me as though the FA are positively discriminating in favour of Bong. There's no clear evidence. But look at the backlash it's caused not only Jay but Albion fans. I've seen loads of kkk memes about us, and how we're racist because we back our player who we (and most other clubs) feel is innocent.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #713 on: February 10, 2018, 03:38:47 AM »
Hmmm. I'm not sure it's that simple. If I say "black people can usually sing well and dance well, but she is terrible", is it racist? It's not saying she can't sing due to her skin colour, but it's still negative. It's all getting very blurry.

It's fashionable to stand up to racism against minorities, that's why people do it. I've been racially abused, some of it is still on my Twitter feed from a couple of months ago. But does anyone care or stand up for me? No, why do you think that is? (And it's not because I've been racist).

It seems to me as though the FA are positively discriminating in favour of Bong. There's no clear evidence. But look at the backlash it's caused not only Jay but Albion fans. I've seen loads of kkk memes about us, and how we're racist because we back our player who we (and most other clubs) feel is innocent.

Yes because it's sweeping generalisation whether a positive one or not, like black people are fast runners... People are people, some can sing some can run fast irrespective of race/skin colour, surely this isn't a difficult concept?

Regards backing the player, we've got no choice, innocent until proven guilty and rightly so, memes are memes water off a duck's back, the important stance will be the one the club take after the hearing.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:41:20 AM by TheJacko2000 »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #714 on: February 10, 2018, 06:45:13 AM »

So on that basis you can say that some one is a black doctor but not a black street sweeper?
There's always some one playing the victim and worse still there's other people ready to jump on the bandwagon and keep it trundling along

World's gone mad I fear for the future.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #715 on: February 10, 2018, 07:52:40 AM »
So on that basis you can say that some one is a black doctor but not a black street sweeper?
There's always some one playing the victim and worse still there's other people ready to jump on the bandwagon and keep it trundling along

World's gone mad I fear for the future.

And theres always people ready to dismiss allegations such as these as "playing the victim" which in turn makes people who do suffer such abuse think "wants the point even saying anything" and puts us back in the strides we've made forward in deal with such matters.

if thats what he has said, it is racist. He's brought his skin colour into it (allegedly)

innocent until proven guilty though. Fingers crossed because it would be a great shame to have to fire one of ourr strikers in a relgegation battle, for me would be the final nail.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #716 on: February 10, 2018, 08:55:45 AM »

What if a man asks a woman out and she says she dosen t fancy blacb/brown /yellow men is she a racist or if she just says no that man could claim it's because of the colour of his skin.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #717 on: February 10, 2018, 09:36:54 AM »
I’m far from PC but some people in here have to be on the wind up. I don’t think he said it at all but of course if you say ‘you’re black and you stink’ it is and should be seen as racism.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #718 on: February 10, 2018, 10:00:17 AM »
I’m far from PC but some people in here have to be on the wind up. I don’t think he said it at all but of course if you say ‘you’re black and you stink’ it is and should be seen as racism.

Sorry but I'm just playing devils advocate here.
If he had allegedly said to Bong 'you stink' would that be racist?

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #719 on: February 10, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
Can you show prejudicsm or discrimination without being a racist? the only person I believe who can answer that is oneself.
My first wife was from a Black Portuguese family who i had a child with and love dearly.
Now I'm not going to say I haven't muttered under my breath and never called a person out because of his/her colour because I have.
Am I racist? do you get judged on a singular incident?
Racism exists in all colours of people but I do feel the word is used too often and in many cases it's a easy substitute for the word Abuse.

call someone a B...... B........d.  it's Racist.
call someone a Fat bugger it's Abuse
you may not have anymore prejudice to the former but the consequences can be enormous for the use of 1 word.
I don't think the above gives cause for someone to be branded a racist, stupid or ignorant maybe but I find it ridiculous for a person to be branded a racist for an act of stupidity.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #720 on: February 10, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »
is this a genuine question? Why would that question be racist when his colour hasn’t been mentioned? The allegation is that he said to Bong you’re black and you stink which yes would be racist, how can anyone believe that using someone’s skin colour as a negative against them isn’t racist? Saying a black personnis black is not racist, using it as a negative (as with any skin colour) against them is racism.

However do not believe jay rod said it.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

andibaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #721 on: February 10, 2018, 10:24:49 AM »
It truly is absurd, I hope the evidence which we have all seen is taken to a lip reading expert by Jay's defence and the whole thing is overturned at the earliest convenience.

My gut feeling is that Bong knows he has crossed the line and is now having to maintain the lie to get himself out of the position he is in.
Baggiessssssssssssssssssssssssssss....

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #722 on: February 10, 2018, 10:40:34 AM »
The only thing we know for sure is that Jrod inferred that Bong had bad breath/his game stank/BO this is backed up by TV footage showing JRod pinching his nostrils.
As far as referring to his colour, unless there's footage that can be analysed by some lip reading expert I don't see how this case can get any legs.
I think it's probably a case of the FA crapping themselves in the light of the shambles they made over the ladies football team scandal.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #723 on: February 10, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »

Well obviously not

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #724 on: February 10, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »
This affair is ridiculous, one man’s word against another; just accept it as match banter. Bong needs to grow up and not behave like a pathetic crybaby.