Author Topic: Football as we know it...  (Read 3954 times)

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

Football as we know it...
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »
Move if needed....

But is football dead? The Neymar deal has just about topped it off for me, the figures are ridiculous and where does it ever end?

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Football as we know it...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
Move if needed....

But is football dead? The Neymar deal has just about topped it off for me, the figures are ridiculous and where does it ever end?
Basic salary of £515.000 pw after tax.
football has truly gone bonkers.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:23:32 PM »
I swear this gets said every single summer just with even more crazy numbers.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:50:24 PM »
Basic salary of £515.000 pw after tax.
football has truly gone bonkers.

I wish as a community of supporters we had the courage, the nous, the sheer f#ck-off mentality to turn our backs on it all. The game has well and truly gone and it's just the super rich taking the p1$$.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »
Not exactly Financial Fair Play is it?

So, dodgy deals involving Qatar and Fifa (allegedly) to buy the World Cup. They've still got the world cup though. This Neymar deal is being funded by Qatari owners, so who's to say that the governing bodies will not turn a blind eye to this with the help of some brown envelopes?

Apart from selling all of their players, there's no way that the buying club can afford those wages and the fee from genuine club earnings, so FFP rules should be used to punish the club in such a way that it puts off any club financing such a deal in the future. With the track record of the governing bodies so far though, they'll pretty much get away without any real punishment. Watch it happen.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 08:47:19 AM »
Just waiting for Devon to point out footballs now officially and finally gone basket case mad so I can happily agree with him  :o
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
I wish as a community of supporters we had the courage, the nous, the sheer f#ck-off mentality to turn our backs on it all. The game has well and truly gone and it's just the super rich taking the p1$$.
Thing is fans still have the power, supply and demand if people stop with tv sports subscriptions money will come falling down. Its the super rich corrupt arab owners that are the problems

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
Thing is fans still have the power, supply and demand if people stop with tv sports subscriptions money will come falling down. Its the super rich corrupt arab owners that are the problems

Yeah, those bloody Arabs...Chuck Blazer, Jack Warner, Sepp Blatter, Michelle Platini...bloody corrupt Arabs all of them.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »
In my humble opinion, the only way to stop this insanity is for people to stop spending the little disposable income they have on crazy sky sports subscriptions and also stop paying £30+ to go watch an hour and a half long game in a field.

Until people stop doing that, this problem won't go away and the working class will continue to let themselves be exploited by the rich

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »
Does it actually change anything?

The money has been silly for 20 years.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
What was the price of a bus ticket in 1979, can anyone tell me.

Thats the year of the first million pound player, standard bus ticket today is £2.40, inflation etc etc.

You get where I'm going. It got too bad way before this.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 08:10:14 AM »
In my humble opinion, the only way to stop this insanity is for people to stop spending the little disposable income they have on crazy sky sports subscriptions and also stop paying £30+ to go watch an hour and a half long game in a field.

Until people stop doing that, this problem won't go away and the working class will continue to let themselves be exploited by the rich

Spot on. And I seem to recall that Sky's viewing figures for the Prem and the Champions League are in decline (I haven't watched a Champions League game live since, I think, Manchester United winning it in 1999, it bores me silly), and also the BT Sport are also getting disappointing numbers.

The greed and avarice in the game has removed it from its actual lifeline, working people, and handed it over to the money men, and while it's true it has been this way for a long time don't forget that Jeff Astle lived in a semi-detached house in West Bromwich and Don Howe and Bobby Robson used to walk to the game together on match days when they were both in the first team.

Trying to turn the beautiful game into a seven day a week drama with superstar performers has ruined it. Milking it like a cash cow has ruined it. Elevating players to stellar levels has ruined it.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 08:25:39 AM »
What was the price of a bus ticket in 1979, can anyone tell me.

Thats the year of the first million pound player, standard bus ticket today is £2.40, inflation etc etc.

You get where I'm going. It got too bad way before this.

According to a Bath Uni paper I found online a 5 mile bus journey in London in 1976 was, on average, just about 13 pence. That had risen by 2 pence since 1973, so let's be generous and say in 1979 it would have cost 16 pence to do 5 miles.

That, I think, is 0.000016% of the £1m transfer record.

Today, a similar journey cost £2.50, or 0.00000125%. My maths isn't brilliant and maybe someone will correct me but I think that means that the average bus journey cost is worth proportionately 78% less of the transfer fee than it was in 1979. Meaning that transfer money is spiralling when compared to ordinary life.

Someone said on here the other day that football is almost 50% of global GDP. If that's correct then the situation is appalling. It's a game, it's not important, it's not even art, it's just a game, an amusement, a pass time. People are being bombed, gassed and starved. The oceans are dying, the climate is shifting and meanwhile football lumbers on like a giant bloated self consuming zombie sucking the life out of itself and not noticing that it's audience is turning it's back.

The game has come a long way since a bunch of blokes from Salters Spring factory walked to Wednesbury to buy a football. Unless it changes direction soon I fear it has almost reached the end of the road.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »
Football will never die I assure you

However when the money runs dry like it did in Italy in the 90's it will leave a league that cannot attract players and so has to build its own teams

At that point we will see a much better league in my honest, and perhaps a greater national team

Football will crash here without doubt, but it will do it some good
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

HamsteadHarry

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 09:53:56 PM »
It will continue to reinvent itself, exploit new markets and fresh income at the top. National leagues for the most wealthy teams will be of little interest and cross border leagues for these are almost inevitable. That's where the media and betting industry focus will be.Luckily the rest of football will continue in a more competitive form and will probably be more enjoyable because of that.