Poll

Will you be taking up your option of receiving the Covid vaccine.

Yes
90 (86.5%)
No
11 (10.6%)
Undecided
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1197733 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5350 on: October 18, 2020, 12:40:23 AM »
The App isn't the issue, the BMA have raised a genuine concern that people with mild symptoms won't bother getting tested at all because of this.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5351 on: October 18, 2020, 10:26:55 AM »
It's an impossible situation, no one wants Labour's total lockdown, no one wants to be isolated so they can't work.
The only salvation is a vaccine.
Baggie in Southampton

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5352 on: October 18, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »
It's an impossible situation, no one wants Labour's total lockdown, no one wants to be isolated so they can't work.

I read an article yesterday that cast doubt on whether a vaccine will ever be available. Apparently, in government circles, there is something of a joke about the fact that Matt Hancock is the only minister who believes that we will have a vaccine. This has always been a possibility so the should be an exit strategy drawn up in case of that eventuality. At the moment, everything seems to be decided ‘on the hoof’.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5353 on: October 18, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-confusion-over-covid-19-vaccine-plans

A vaccine being developed by Oxford University and the pharma giant AstraZeneca is considered a front-runner in the race to protect the world from Covid-19 infection.

There’s no guarantee this vaccine (or any other) will work. If it does it will be a massive good news story for British science and the UK government, who have helped fund the project.

But what happens next if this or another vaccine candidate successfully provides immunity against Covid-19? There have been mixed messages recently about how a vaccination programme would be handled.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5354 on: October 18, 2020, 12:30:57 PM »
I have just been invited into the Stage 3 Oxford vaccine program, however, unlike other age groups, the older age groups don't get paid expenses, £300-500, the trial will involve several days off and hospital visits so, as someone who had already lost 6 months earnings, I need to work so I shall be declining.
Baggie in Southampton

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5355 on: October 18, 2020, 12:51:58 PM »
Seen there's meant to be progress today in terms of a vaccine which could be ready by December. However, I know the press love to push stories like this so I won't get my hopes up. It would be great though if everything was over by then.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5356 on: October 18, 2020, 02:39:17 PM »
Seen there's meant to be progress today in terms of a vaccine which could be ready by December. However, I know the press love to push stories like this so I won't get my hopes up. It would be great though if everything was over by then.

Not sure if I'll be rushing into having the vaccine if/when its available. Too soon to see what side effects (if any) it has.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5357 on: October 18, 2020, 08:29:38 PM »
There were hopes of the vaccine being ready in September at one stage so December seems plausible.

As far as I'm concerned I do think that when vaccines are licensed in this country they have gone through rigorous testing and would accept one myself. There's always the chance with any vaccine that there might be a side effect in one particular group or combined set of circumstances when it's rolled out to millions....but as we all know this virus has caused havoc and we have to find a way out.

If the Oxford vaccine gets passed it will have been given to tens of thousands of participants across several countries during the trials.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5358 on: October 18, 2020, 08:36:58 PM »
There were hopes of the vaccine being ready in September at one stage so December seems plausible.

As far as I'm concerned I do think that when vaccines are licensed in this country they have gone through rigorous testing and would accept one myself. There's always the chance with any vaccine that there might be a side effect in one particular group or combined set of circumstances when it's rolled out to millions....but as we all know this virus has caused havoc and we have to find a way out.

If the Oxford vaccine gets passed it will have been given to tens of thousands of participants across several countries during the trials.

I agree, I will get it as soon as I can.
Baggie in Southampton

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5359 on: October 18, 2020, 09:33:50 PM »
Whoever gets this vaccine please let me know of the medium to long term side effects. Then I’ll look at getting it in a few years maybe, cheers.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5360 on: October 18, 2020, 10:39:23 PM »
There's no way it will be rushed out before it's safe. Regardless of the demand, the legal costs if it has side effects will run into billions. I will have a vaccine when it's avaliable but if I got seriously ill, would be straight onto the solisctor.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5361 on: October 18, 2020, 10:43:42 PM »
There's no way it will be rushed out before it's safe. Regardless of the demand, the legal costs if it has side effects will run into billions. I will have a vaccine when it's avaliable but if I got seriously ill, would be straight onto the solisctor.

Sorry to disappoint but the big pharmaceuticals have got a free hit and cannot be sued for this vaccine.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-astrazeneca-results-vaccine-liability/astrazeneca-to-be-exempt-from-coronavirus-vaccine-liability-claims-in-most-countries-idUKKCN24V2EN
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:45:43 PM by BB74 »

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5362 on: October 18, 2020, 11:38:15 PM »
My wife has had a very debilitating cough for over a week. (We are in the "at risk group").  I have got in touch with NHS111, They sent us to Worcester County Hall for a test.
Hopefully it is just a cough which occurs. If not, isolation is not bad thing, in the circumstances.
As to a vaccine? Yes please, rather than death.
Side effects, most people can live with. Death is final !

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5363 on: October 19, 2020, 08:27:30 AM »
My wife has had a very debilitating cough for over a week. (We are in the "at risk group").  I have got in touch with NHS111, They sent us to Worcester County Hall for a test.
Hopefully it is just a cough which occurs. If not, isolation is not bad thing, in the circumstances.

Hope everything goes okay with your wife Droitwich.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5364 on: October 19, 2020, 08:42:48 AM »

I agree, but it usually takes years to develop and test a vaccine.
Have we ever developed and tested vaccine during a live pandemic before?
Personally, I er on the side of caution.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5365 on: October 19, 2020, 08:45:52 AM »

Ever heard of Thalidomide?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5366 on: October 19, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
I agree, but it usually takes years to develop and test a vaccine.
Have we ever developed and tested vaccine during a live pandemic before?
Personally, I er on the side of caution.
There are advantages in developing during a live pandemic though - one being that they've been able to test in Brazil, US and South Africa as well as UK when people have been getting natural exposure to the virus.
It's been done quicker than usual as more money and resource has been thrown at the vaccine production than would usually be the case..and significantly the vaccine manufacturers like Astrazeneca have been given the go-ahead and finance to produce large quantities of the vaccine ready for rollout in advance of final clearance being given. So it's ready to go as soon as the green light is given (this wouldn't usually happen as they'd wait for approval to be finalised before starting mass vaccine production).
There was a mention above of waiting to see the medium and long term effects of the vaccine which I can sort of understand .....but also we don't yet know the medium and long term effects of the virus itself  - though we do know that plenty are experiencing prolonged debilitating effects 'long covid'.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5367 on: October 19, 2020, 09:59:50 AM »

Thalidomide is a drug, not a vaccine but I take your point, Thalidomide is still in use, but obviously, not around pregnant women.
Baggie in Southampton

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5368 on: October 19, 2020, 01:25:25 PM »

Thalidomide is exactly why I said what I said.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5369 on: October 19, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »

Good luck, hope she's ok

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5370 on: October 19, 2020, 10:33:20 PM »
Only just caught up with this, I hope the Mrs is fee!ing better mate and the test comes back clear

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5371 on: October 19, 2020, 11:33:54 PM »
Thank you all for your wishes.
She still feels unwell and "out of it".
Her cough still lingers and keeps her awake at night. She has to sleep sitting upright.She does struggle to breathe easily, but it may just be a cold.
We are still waiting for the result.
Again, thank you all for your concerns and wishes.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5372 on: October 19, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »
Hope you wife feels better soon Droitwich Baggie and results come back negative.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5373 on: October 20, 2020, 02:25:28 AM »
Belgium in fear of being overwhelmed, touch of Deja Vu about this lot again

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/10/19/the-european-country-on-the-verge-of-a-covid-tsunami/

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5374 on: October 20, 2020, 06:57:46 AM »
Thank you all for your wishes.
She still feels unwell and "out of it".
Her cough still lingers and keeps her awake at night. She has to sleep sitting upright.She does struggle to breathe easily, but it may just be a cold.
We are still waiting for the result.
Again, thank you all for your concerns and wishes.

Best wishes to you and your wife Droity.
Baggie in Southampton