Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1325389 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #2850 on: March 04, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
Sheff Utd were pretty awful in that game.  What they are is very well organised and well managed.  In terms of moving the ball and technical quality they are very limited.

They have to go to Elland Road and I hope they get stuffed. I hope Leeds get top 2 as they are a big club with a world class manager.

The sad thing is not one Blades player jumps out at you that you’d definitely want in the Albion team.
You clearly are not of an age to remember the last time when Leeds were a so called big club with a so called world class manager. Personally, hell would freeze over before I wished them any success. Horrible club.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2851 on: March 05, 2019, 03:34:55 AM »
I can see a situation arising at the end of the season when Villa (if Grealish stays fit) may need to beat Leeds and Norwich in their last 2 matches to get into play offs, which might, just might leave the door open for us if we put a run together. Clutching at straws I know but what an end to the season it could still be!

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2852 on: March 05, 2019, 06:17:44 AM »
You clearly are not of an age to remember the last time when Leeds were a so called big club with a so called world class manager. Personally, hell would freeze over before I wished them any success. Horrible club.

Apparently Leeds were big in the 1970s under Don Revie.  They also got to a European Semi about 2000 before the demise set in.  At the end of the day they’ve attracted a very high quality manager which is paying off for them.

I just think Sheff Utd are boring to watch a functional high energy team with no stars playing to a Set system.  The 2019 version of our 2002 Megson team.

No one challenged me when I stated no Sheff Utd player would dramatically improve us.  I can’t get my head around why we are below them.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2853 on: March 05, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
Apparently Leeds were big in the 1970s under Don Revie.  They also got to a European Semi about 2000 before the demise set in.  At the end of the day they’ve attracted a very high quality manager which is paying off for them.

I just think Sheff Utd are boring to watch a functional high energy team with no stars playing to a Set system.  The 2019 version of our 2002 Megson team.

No one challenged me when I stated no Sheff Utd player would dramatically improve us.  I can’t get my head around why we are below them.
Another sneering comment about SGM. Let me tell you mate if Jenkins had the balls to let Megson continue last season instead of recruiting Pardew we would not be in the Championship.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2854 on: March 05, 2019, 09:25:06 AM »
Another sneering comment about SGM. Let me tell you mate if Jenkins had the balls to let Megson continue last season instead of recruiting Pardew we would not be in the Championship.

Absolutely of course, anyone is better than Pardew, we'd have galvanised a little better and may have picked up a few more gritty points. But we would still be in the championship. This club went into total meltdown last season before Pardew came and made it worse. Our last minute charge for safety was due to Moore picking us up off the canvas and flailing our corpse around a bit to try and make something happen. That wouldn't have happened under Megson.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2855 on: March 05, 2019, 09:50:06 AM »

Just cast your mind back to Pulis's baggies and Stoke sides, fitness / organisation / attitude and "tactics" get these right and they can mitigate a lot of the advantages which skill and ability give you.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2856 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »
A super computer has predicted the finishing league positions of the top six

1. Norwich City - 88 points

2. Leeds United - 86 points

3. Sheffield United - 85 points

4. West Brom - 78 points

5. Middlesbrough - 77 points

6. Bristol City - 71 points

So, we would be up against  TP’s Borough in the semifinals, a tough challenge, but they are all tough options at this stage

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/super-computer-predicted-west-brom-15922000
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2857 on: March 05, 2019, 10:29:10 AM »
Read all about it.......

'Super computer updates points in duplicate Championship League table shocker'

........ where's my octopus  :o  ;D ?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2858 on: March 05, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »
A super computer has predicted the finishing league positions of the top six

1. Norwich City - 88 points

2. Leeds United - 86 points

3. Sheffield United - 85 points

4. West Brom - 78 points

5. Middlesbrough - 77 points

6. Bristol City - 71 points

So, we would be up against  TP’s Borough in the semifinals, a tough challenge, but they are all tough options at this stage

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/super-computer-predicted-west-brom-15922000

As it stands:
Team                    P   GD   Pts
1 Norwich                35   26   69
2 Leeds                   35   21   67
3 Sheff Utd              35   25   65
4 West Brom           35   20   60
5 Middlesbrough      34   14   58
6 Bristol City           34     8   54

Damn you super computer.
 ;D
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2859 on: March 05, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »

No one challenged me when I stated no Sheff Utd player would dramatically improve us. I can’t get my head around why we are below them.

The Dynamic Duo.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2860 on: March 05, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »
Bolton game against Millwall on Saturday is under threat unless Bolton can prove they are able to provide adequate safety measures by 1pm Wednesday
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2861 on: March 05, 2019, 03:36:06 PM »
Bolton game against Millwall on Saturday is under threat unless Bolton can prove they are able to provide adequate safety measures by 1pm Wednesday

Don't worry it's only Millwall, they won't need any police  :-X

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2862 on: March 05, 2019, 03:42:31 PM »

I have massive respect for what Megson achieved at WBA, simply phenomenal.

When you're seemingly on the other side of it is frustrating.  I can't honestly see anything special about the Blades in terms of being a good footballing side.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2863 on: March 06, 2019, 10:44:00 PM »
Read all about it.......

'Super computer updates points in duplicate Championship League table shocker'

........ where's my octopus  :o  ;D ?

Don't believe in any such thing as a super computer able to predict results. How many times have we all predicted seemingly obvious winners and got it wrong. A computer can't predict a dodgy offside, a lucky deflection etc.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2864 on: March 06, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »

I'm not sure you can call them boring with overlapping centre-backs and all that. I'd say Norwood pings it around more effectively than anyone we have....and there's not any striking similarities with Pulis sides which seemed to be suggested above.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2865 on: March 07, 2019, 07:10:04 AM »
I think the key thing about Sheff Utd is yes they are a high energy functional unit ideal for the championship yet they are a team not a bunch of individual players - you don't need stars to have a good team and they probably go under the radar. Whether they could survive at a higher level who knows but Burnley and others have had a go
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2866 on: March 07, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
I watched a bit of the 2007 Derby vs Albion play off final last night as it was re-run on Sky. I could only take it up to the Derby goal tbh (arghhh) but it did remind me that Derby were very organised, solid and workmanlike (with Big Dave at the back) and we had an absolute quality midfield and forward line. We could only dream of having Greening, Koren, Koumas and Gera as our midfield today. Philips up front! The defence was poor (Sodje and McShane as RB) but at the end of the day, most of that Albion team went on and trounced the championship the season after playing wonderful football.

Today, we're more Derby (07) than Albion (07). Until we overhaul our midfield completely and do away with the remnants of the Pulis' midfielders.

The point on this thread though is, you don't need to be that great to get promoted from this division but you need to be solid, tight at the back and hard to beat as a minimum - we and many others have proven it over the years. Good luck to Sheff Utd and others who are adopting this approach, it obviously works.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2867 on: March 08, 2019, 08:32:21 PM »
Swansea the better team at half time..0-0...Dan James looks a really good player..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2868 on: March 08, 2019, 08:35:49 PM »
Swansea the better team at half time..0-0...Dan James looks a really good player..

COY Swans! A one off of support of course, until the next helping hand we need  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2869 on: March 08, 2019, 09:00:22 PM »
1-0 Norwich..😐

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2870 on: March 08, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
1-0 Norwich..😐
Expected of the in form home team.  :(

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2871 on: March 08, 2019, 09:10:36 PM »
Swansea seem to be playing with 7 in midfield and no forwards..

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2872 on: March 08, 2019, 09:54:31 PM »
Do we really have to worry ourselves by what Norwich do now? There long gone now , can’t believe we’re that far behind them

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2873 on: March 10, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
Another scumbag running on the pitch attacking a player. I hate Grealish but to run on a pitch and throw a punch is an absolute disgrace.

Where were the stewards ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2874 on: March 10, 2019, 12:19:32 PM »
Another scumbag running on the pitch attacking a player. I hate Grealish but to run on a pitch and throw a punch is an absolute disgrace.

Where were the stewards ?
Agreed
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter