Author Topic: Dan Ashworth  (Read 102912 times)

matt_home1

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Dan Ashworth
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
Maybe us bidding for cat 1 in The new academy format & commiting £3 million a year is a carrot to keep dan
Ill Sleep when im dead

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 07:39:39 AM »
Can somebody please tell me what a tech director of football does? as I was of the opinion that his primary job was to assist in the acquisition of players having drawn up a list of possibilities, however, surely players ability to represent their country is down to the manager & them players don't need to be purchased.

That'll be a no then!
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 07:46:16 AM »

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 08:18:39 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_football

Thank you, but I was looking more for fans viewpoint on the role, as there seems to be a lot of opinions on the position in this thread.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
If you are a football club with a Board and Chairman that writes out cheques for several million on a regular basis, then maybe you can get by without a Dan Ashworth. The alternative for clubs of our size is to have a well set up and organised scouting network. That seems to be happening due to DA. That can save you a helluva lot of money. It is also a lie to the theory that you can never develop top players on a medium budget. I don't know exactly what DA does, but it seems to be working for Albion. Sure someone else could do that job, but would he have the qualities of DA? I presume there's more to it than just being able to spot a talent.
From what I understand his job doesn't only involve the scouting but also involves the academy, reserves and some logistical stuff too. He obviously heads the scouting network and meets with the manager to discuss and suggest targets. He also does some coaching of the players in the academy and development squad, sorts out all of their loan deals and contracts, helps with any staff recruitment, players or coaches, plays a part in organising away trips helping to book travel, hotels etc and arranging pre-season games and the tour.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »
I mentioned about Marriott to CL on twitter earlier, he told me Marriott is long gone, left to get a job in Formula 1 so we now no longer have a back up.
Whilst i wouldnt question CL's knowledge of the internal workings of the club i wonder if he has crossed wires here as there has been a motorsport journalist/writer/broadcaster by the same name for several years also while not exactly a bible of accuracy wiki(amongst others) still say he is an employee of the club?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:18:23 PM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »
Let him go, any idiot can spend 8 hours a day making 'shortlists'

Over-rated . Roy took Fulham to a uefa cup final without the aid of some kid making 'lists'

From what I have read and the way Roy talks about Ashworth, I don't think we'd have Roy here if it wasn't for Ashworth's selling of the club and it's vision. So yeah, he's pretty important.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »
Whilst i wouldnt question CL's knowledge of the internal workings of the club i wonder if he has crossed wires here as there as been a motorsport journalist/writer/broadcaster by the same name for several years also while not exactly a bible of accuracy wiki(amongst others) still say he is an employee of the club?

Nice of him to still come to the games then, as he still goes to the games!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
Thank you, but I was looking more for fans viewpoint on the role, as there seems to be a lot of opinions on the position in this thread.

The technical director role is ultimately the man responsible for the direction of the club. A man who needs to have a footballing knowledge and a business one. He is in charge of scouting players, or maybe more importantly allocating resources to different areas of scouting. He is also in charge of scouting the manager, something which at our club starts as soon as 1 boss comes in (case study, Hodgon and Hughton short list with Hodgson getting job very quickly and Hughton going on to do what seems a great job at Blues while Wolves sack their manager an ensue to seemingly relegate their club). He is in charge, near enough, of deciding what style of football the players play by bringing in the manager and the players.

There then comes the less visible side. He will be the man who has set up the academy drive to get category 1 status, arranging for the club to tick every box including setting up what seems to be a school for the players to go to. He will probably have a hand in the commercial side with the pre season tour. He will set up links, like we have with Ireland now, to bring young players over. He will also be the man in between the head coach and the board.

In the old set up the manager would understand football and the chairman would understand business. For the jobs like singing players, where it was both business and football, you ended up with 2 people who didnt really know the other side coming together and it often does not work. Look at Harry "I cant fill out a team sheet" Redknapp. Look at Steve "inspirational team talk" Morgan.

The Tech director allows for the chairman to bring in an expert to take over the running of the club who knows how both sides work.

The question you have to ask yourself is this. Is the rest of the world wrong in their approach to football or are we? If they are all wrong and we are right, then why have our clubs spent so many more millions than everyone else and still not dominated and why have we not won anything internationally for years?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:16:08 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »
The technical director role is ultimately the man responsible for the direction of the club. A man who needs to have a footballing knowledge and a business one. He is in charge of scouting players, or maybe more importantly allocating resources to different areas of scouting. He is also in charge of scouting the manager, something which at our club starts as soon as 1 boss comes in (case study, Hodgon and Hughton short list with Hodgson getting job very quickly and Hughton going on to do what seems a great job at Blues while Wolves sack their manager an ensue to seemingly relegate their club). He is in charge, near enough, of deciding what style of football the players play by bringing in the manager and the players.

There then comes the less visible side. He will be the man who has set up the academy drive to get category 1 status, arranging for the club to tick every box including setting up what seems to be a school for the players to go to. He will probably have a hand in the commercial side with the pre season tour. He will set up links, like we have with Ireland now, to bring young players over. He will also be the man in between the head coach and the board.

In the old set up the manager would understand football and the chairman would understand business. For the jobs like singing players, where it was both business and football, you ended up with 2 people who didnt really know the other side coming together and it often does not work. Look at Harry "I cant fill out a team sheet" Redknapp. Look at Steve "inspirational team talk" Morgan.

The Tech director allows for the chairman to bring in an expert to take over the running of the club who knows how both sides work.

The question you have to ask yourself is this. Is the rest of the world wrong in their approach to football or are we? If they are all wrong and we are right, then why have our clubs spent so many more millions than everyone else and still not dominated and why have we not won anything internationally for years?

Thanks Baggies thats cleared it up for me  :-[

The reason I asked was because it doesn't seem a job specifically suited to the England set up, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:39:38 PM by dont ask me to choose luv »

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 04:27:52 PM »

Great post. Normally I would be lazy and ask someone to summarise a post that length but I found it an interesting read.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »
Thanks Baggies thats cleared it up for me  :-[

The reason I asked was because it doesn't seem a job specifically suited to the England set up, if you know what I mean.

In all honesty, a few years ago I was very sceptical myself. I was listening to the British press negativity and I thought this was Peace's as of interfering with the manager and getting his own way. It was only with reading more, learning how European football works and seeing the benefits Ashworth has brought, you realise it maks sense.

It's no surprise as more comes into English football, the English press no longer slate the idea.
Boing Boing

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
In all honesty, a few years ago I was very sceptical myself. I was listening to the British press negativity and I thought this was Peace's as of interfering with the manager and getting his own way. It was only with reading more, learning how European football works and seeing the benefits Ashworth has brought, you realise it maks sense.

It's no surprise as more comes into English football, the English press no longer slate the idea.

Haven't made myself clear here, I'm actually referring to the England national job, as theres no buying players the role would be different, no?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »
My summing up would be
Ashworths wages are a lot less than superstar footballers , if we can get them just before they become supertstar footballers , which is his job. :D
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »
Haven't made myself clear here, I'm actually referring to the England national job, as theres no buying players the role would be different, no?

I think the FA see the tech director role as crucial to help develop English football as a whole, mainly involving the academy in Burton. He will probably also be in charge of finding ways of improving the national game, trough implementing change with youth football. In also get the impression he will help the manager with the call up of players etc. 
Boing Boing

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »
I think the FA see the tech director role as crucial to help develop English football as a whole, mainly involving the academy in Burton. He will probably also be in charge of finding ways of improving the national game, trough implementing change with youth football. In also get the impression he will help the manager with the call up of players etc.

Cheers again, I'm not normally such a doughnut  :-[ (oh yes he is)

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11698/7638044/

Hodgson backs Ashworth for FA

West Brom technical director could move to the FA

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson believes technical director Dan Ashworth should be a genuine contender for the vacant position at the Football Association.

The FA has revealed that it is to appoint a technical director for the first time in 10 years and the successful candidate will work at the new national football centre at St George's Park.

Ashworth was appointed in his role at The Hawthorns in 2007 and is well thought of at the club.

He has played a significant role in bringing striker Peter Odemwingie and midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu to the West Midlands outfit in recent years.

Gareth Southgate has also been linked with the post, while former England boss Steve McClaren has distanced himself from the position.

But Hodgson admits that, although he would like to keep Ashworth, he would not begrudge the FA looking at him.

Nice to see

He said: "It is nice to see Dan linked with the job. It is very good to see that. My understanding is the FA have just started to invite applicants.

"We would be devastated to lose Dan here because he is doing such a good job and we all enjoy working with him so much.

"But if he is a serious contender for the FA, I can only congratulate them on recognising his talent.

"Dan has got a lot of experience in a lot of areas. He is an incredible hard worker and puts in an awful lot of time at the club.

"He has knowledge of what is required in football at professional level right from below academy level and into the first team, where he is very much involved in our recruitment."

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 12:12:19 AM »
Roy, for the love of god stop talking. When asked a leading question be diplomatic and reflect the answer to something you want to stop about.

Stop saying the FA jobs are quality and of course everyone would want one. We know that. We kow you know that. Stop talking about it and get us another 12 points !!!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 12:24:36 AM »
Roy, for the love of god stop talking. When asked a leading question be diplomatic and reflect the answer to something you want to stop about.

Stop saying the FA jobs are quality and of course everyone would want one. We know that. We kow you know that. Stop talking about it and get us another 12 points !!!

"We would be devastated to lose Dan here because he is doing such a good job and we all enjoy working with him so much."

Doh! Does Roy do this on purpose?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:31:38 AM by GrGr »

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 08:40:32 AM »
Pay him more money!!!!

Philly88

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »
Pay him more money!!!!

Ron Atkinson is the DOF at Halesowen.... anyone thiking what I am?
Let's bring back Micky Evans... thats a good idea

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:57 PM »

No, and I hope nobody else is either. He is a dinosaur compared to the modern game now.
Boing Boing

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »

Active the Laser Perimeter Defence?

Philly88

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »
So it turns out they were thinking what I was.........    ::)
Let's bring back Micky Evans... thats a good idea

katadamick

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 10:59:57 PM »
I got slated at a baggies forum by tom ross recorded for brmb  for asking if ashworth left would it be worse than losing a manager his reply was that is never going to happen what a silly question no mr ross look what is happening now  :P