Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 647348 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1150 on: April 29, 2019, 11:37:41 PM »
At least as O'Shea is 20 and under contract we would get some money for him. If we don't go up though, we could in theory lose Hegazi and Dawson, Toisin is on loan so 2 or 3 gaps at CB are likely. Will O'Shea and/or Fitzwater be given the chance ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1151 on: April 30, 2019, 09:59:55 AM »
At least as O'Shea is 20 and under contract we would get some money for him. If we don't go up though, we could in theory lose Hegazi and Dawson, Toisin is on loan so 2 or 3 gaps at CB are likely. Will O'Shea and/or Fitzwater be given the chance ?

Haven't seen too much of O'Shea so cant comment on him, but Fitzwater was told he would be 4th choice at the start of the season wasn't he? He chose to go back out on loan to get more games under his belt, granted Walsall have been pretty poor this season so I'm guessing his reviews wont be as good as they were last year.

As you said though, with Tosin going back and potentially losing Dawson/Hegazi, they could find themselves as the top couple of centre backs at the club at least until replacments have been found.

Would be a good chance for them to stake a claim to become first choice for next season (more likely if we are to remain in the championship).

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1152 on: April 30, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »

Unless I've missed something regarding a twelve month option, Dara O'Shea's contract expires at the end of May.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1153 on: April 30, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
Unless I've missed something regarding a twelve month option, Dara O'Shea's contract expires at the end of May.

Assume he was referring more to the fact he's over 18 so wont just go for the token Academy payment. That said can't see a tribunal giving us much for him either.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1154 on: May 02, 2019, 10:21:57 PM »
Jamie Soule linked with Dortmund now. Would be a shame if we never see the likes of him and Rogers in the first team.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1155 on: May 02, 2019, 11:45:31 PM »
Jamie Soule linked with Dortmund now. Would be a shame if we never see the likes of him and Rogers in the first team.
still under contract signed two and half year deal, just hope we get a coach who will blood some of these exceptional talents that our on clubs books. That's the biggest issue I had with Darren he didn't trust these kids even though he'd been around them for four or five years.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1156 on: May 03, 2019, 06:37:17 AM »
I'd like to think that our prospective new manager will be considered on the basis that he can develop talent from the Academy.
We can see some of this years crop already being courted by some of the big name clubs.
It was sad to see last week end that in the Leeds squad were 3 of our ex-Academy lads.
Roberts, Roofe and Brown.
If only...............
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1157 on: May 03, 2019, 08:03:44 AM »
I thought he was contracted beyond this year but you seem to be right it's to the end of May. Begs the question, are we on the ball enough with contract extensions ? Maybe we tried to extend or maybe we have doubts about him...but if we actually rate players (and there's no reason to suspect we don't rate O'Shea) then sort out the contract before sending them out somewhere on loan.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1158 on: May 05, 2019, 09:18:50 AM »
Just been reading one or two reports about our academy and it makes me think what's the point?
We're spending all this money developing new talent for other clubs to come in and take off us,it can't be cost effective.
We either have to tie them up in golden handcuffs or make the club more attractive for them to stay here.
We need to be seen as a team that has ambition. At the minute that's a difficult selling point to get over
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1159 on: May 05, 2019, 09:30:39 AM »
Just been reading one or two reports about our academy and it makes me think what's the point?
We're spending all this money developing new talent for other clubs to come in and take off us,it can't be cost effective.
We either have to tie them up in golden handcuffs or make the club more attractive for them to stay here.
We need to be seen as a team that has ambition. At the minute that's a difficult selling point to get over

There has been no-one with any real ambition at the Albion since Paul Thompson and herein lies one huge, huge problem.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1160 on: May 05, 2019, 09:36:19 AM »

Have more kids left under the raider? I’ve not seen anything.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1161 on: May 05, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »
It probably has been cost effective over the last 4 or 5 years. That said I agree to an extent. We need to commit to a high energy attacking style, using a lot of younger players. Show them that's what we are about as a club. We can still bring in a few from outside but if we continue to be so slow in bringing our own players through then the better ones like Rogers and Barry will be moving on without us ever seeing them.
I think a lot of the best young players, not just at our club, may hope to play a year or two for their home clubs but they will have dreams of top 6 prem clubs or top European sides in the future. If we get them to stay for that year or two then at least we get to see them play and hopefully cash in more money if/when they leave.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1162 on: May 19, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »
Players (24 and under)

Retained:

Oliver Burke, Kyle Edwards, Nathan Ferguson, Sam Field, Jack Fitzwater, Kevin Healy, Jonathan Leko, Max Melbourne, Tom Solanke, Jamie Soule, Rayhaan Tulloch, Kane Wilson; Zak Delaney, Taylor Gardner-Hickman, Alex Gilbert, Josh Griffiths, Carrick Hill, Toby King, Morgan Rogers, Lewis Smith, Finley Thorndike, Jacob Wakeling, Remarl Williams, Harry Williams.

Extended contract:

Dara O'Shea, Alex Palmer; Eoin Ashton, Stanley Asomugha, Zak Brown, Ted Cann, Tyrese Dyce, Pablo Martinez, Yusuff Ojebode, Tom Sharpe, Peter Taylor, Aksum White.

Offered new contract:

Rekeem Harper, Bradley House, Callum Morton; Finn Azaz, George Harmon; Jack Chambers, Nick Clayton-Phillips, Sam Wilding.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1163 on: May 19, 2019, 10:44:10 PM »
A large number of academy players retained, and yet very few of them seem genuinely close to getting an extended run in our first team.

We need to make up for our errors next season, and get Leko, Edwards and potentially Field out on loan ready for the start of next season. They need time in league 1 (or maybe lower Championship in Field’s case) to get more minutes under their belts, as this year was a wasted season for all 3 given their ages.

I’m surprised to see us extend Fitzwater’s contract as he seems to have found his level at league 1.

Biggest hopes have to be Tulloch, Soule, Rogers and Ferguson. It would be nice if Ferguson went out on loan this year, same goes for Soule.
Boing Boing

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1164 on: May 20, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
We need to make up for our errors next season, and get Leko, Edwards and potentially Field out on loan ready for the start of next season. They need time in league 1 (or maybe lower Championship in Field’s case) to get more minutes under their belts, as this year was a wasted season for all 3 given their ages.

All three will be part of the first team squad here next season, no point sending them on loan.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1165 on: May 20, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »
All three will be part of the first team squad here next season, no point sending them on loan.

Agree - especially seeing as our budget has seemingly shrunk considerably.

From the limited game time I've seen Field and Edwards are good enough for this division, whereas I don't think Leko is as good.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1166 on: May 20, 2019, 04:06:10 PM »
Agree - especially seeing as our budget has seemingly shrunk considerably.

From the limited game time I've seen Field and Edwards are good enough for this division, whereas I don't think Leko is as good.
Agree. Field and Edwards should be included in the match-day squad regularly next season.
Also I think we should keep Kane Wilson and one of the Fitzwater/O'shea for right back and CB rotation.
But Leko is still too raw and need more game time in other team or lower division urgently.

The PRIDE of midlands

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1167 on: May 24, 2019, 05:47:52 PM »
"The truth about that shock West Brom transfer rumour"

We need to hang on to our youngsters, we should be the ones making decisions on their futures

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-soule-dortmund-transfer-16326428
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1168 on: May 24, 2019, 11:24:09 PM »
So, we could lose Jamie Soule, Louie Barry and Rekeem Harper all in the space of a season for minimal compensation as they are all going abroad.

Three England internationals, the jewels in our academy...

You have to ask the question, what is the point?

Might as well close the academy down.

Matt Smith, Yan Dhanda, Izzy Brown, Jerome Sinclair all poached. Three more to add to the list.
7 academy stars nicked in 4ish years...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1169 on: May 25, 2019, 08:33:17 AM »
Yes it's pretty depressing really.

So Soule is 18 with one more year left on his deal. We don't know the level of Dortmund's interest but if they want him now, we'd get some money and presumably a sell-on clause.
If we keep him for the final year of his contract we'd almost be in a Harper situation....try and extend his contract now, give him games, show him there's a future here....then he'll probably go for peanuts next summer.

Re the academy generally, we are going to find it hard to hang on to the very best products but we have to hope the next level to that, the likes of Edwards, Field and some others, we can hang on to and get value from....there are quite a few other names emerging also.
I'm fairly sure we won't have lost money on the academy over the past 5 years, taking Wood, Thorne, Roofe, Berahino, Roberts into account.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1170 on: May 25, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »
Someone posted a couple of weeks ago that he suspects the Albion coaches aren’t very good.  I’m starting to think myself that is true.  It’s probably the case at other English clubs too. 

We have past their best experienced players dictating to the club over contracts instead of the club demanding they leave.  The culture is too soft.

We could have blooded several players and with the right coaching could’ve dramatically improved over a season or 2.  Where the hell is Kyle Edwards since Brentford away?

Indeed what is the point of the academy if prospects leave after a few appearances?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1171 on: May 25, 2019, 10:25:14 AM »
Soule seems a strange one. He’s nearly 19 so I can’t see Dortmund having too much of a genuine interest next season if he’s not got some minutes in the championship.

You’d imagine the club will be nervous to put him in or even loan him given Harper and Roberts situations though. It may seem cruel to a kid but I’d consider sidelining him until he signs a new contract if he’s a genuine prospect.

Roberts and Harper both appear to have gone badly because we lacked that little bit of faith, and by the time they ‘prove’ enough other clubs are prepared to pay more.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1172 on: May 25, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
Someone posted a couple of weeks ago that he suspects the Albion coaches aren’t very good.  I’m starting to think myself that is true.  It’s probably the case at other English clubs too. 

We have past their best experienced players dictating to the club over contracts instead of the club demanding they leave.  The culture is too soft.

We could have blooded several players and with the right coaching could’ve dramatically improved over a season or 2.  Where the hell is Kyle Edwards since Brentford away?

Indeed what is the point of the academy if prospects leave after a few appearances?
Good question - it's the type of thing that tends to happen to our young players. He played a loose pass at Bristol City which ended with their 2nd goal, was taken off when we changed shape for 2nd half. He looks a decent player to me though. Just wonder a couple of things - presumably we paid a loan fee for Murphy so there's always a tendency to want to get some value from signings. Also, we don't know, but there could have been one of these clauses for Murphy stating that he has to play a certain number of games or we pay more.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1173 on: May 28, 2019, 10:24:40 AM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/may/young-lions-honour-for-baggies-pair/

Field and Edwards selected for the Toulon Tournament in France this Summer

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1174 on: May 28, 2019, 10:45:28 AM »
I wonder if it will be televised, hope so.