Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640004 times)

Peachofacross

• WBA Newbie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1000 on: January 25, 2019, 01:06:23 PM »
In light of today's Sako news coupled with Jrods niggle,  Phillips injury and the departures of Barnes and Burke I'd suggest that we will be seeing Rayhaan Tulloch and/or Mogan Rogers on the bench tomorrow.

I personally think Rogers, even at 16, looks like he could handle it. Physically a good build and lightening fast feet and skill.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1001 on: January 25, 2019, 01:19:57 PM »
Yep, seems likely given Edwards and Leko are almost certain to be involved, it still leaves an option on the bench. I'd expect Myhill / Bond, Townsend, Mears, Adarabioyo, Fitzwater to be on the bench if none of the guys with knocks are risked at all. We are lacking in forward areas so it's the ideal opportunity to get someone like Rogers on the bench. Louie Barry is only 15 (how ridiculous is that), if he were a bit older it'd be ideal for him as well.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1002 on: January 25, 2019, 02:37:17 PM »
I said previous as another side to the argument, maybe the players werent good enough or ready yet and thats why they wasnt playing (not saying that was the case but could of been an option)

We have been doing well so its not like it was costing us them not playing, but its great to see them involved now, maybe Mooro wanted to work with them for six months since pre-season as part of his playing style overhaul, see where they are at, etc before giving them a chance, i have said previous there are loads of kids who are highly rated who play a few games never to be heard of again so perhaps he is making sure they were ready.

Even though its been brought on by injury, it was great to see 2 x academy players in the midfield on Monday, sometimes a suspension or injury is the only way you get chance to grab a place.

Hopefully Edwards and Leko get to start tomorrow too, we are down on numbers so this could be the chance they are waiting for.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1003 on: January 27, 2019, 12:00:51 AM »
Injury crisis survived using the kids. There is a collective confidence to them- probably helps one of the group harper has started 4 back to back games.

Field was steady again today his best position is the Barry role (which is why he's down the pecking order) but looks good for future.

Harper all round best of bunch needs tying down to a new long term deal. Edwards had a quiet game but he was out of position All game.

Leko has something about him he's exciting and he commits players. End product not there but I would advocate better to play him as a wide forward than HRK. young tulloch also looked promising when he came on.
O Albion we love you

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1004 on: January 27, 2019, 01:09:37 AM »
I thought Edwards showed a few glimpses that he is quite direct and has a bit about him.

Leko still excites me but frustrates me at the same time. It’s easy to forget that he’s still very young. I really think he can give us something off the bench for 20 mins each game, he commits players just lacks that end product at times.

Our future certainly looks bright. I think today has shown they can be trusted when needed.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1005 on: January 27, 2019, 01:53:26 PM »
We aren’t going to win the cup. So big question for these lads, is it worth costing them half a season of football for one FA cup game?

Personally It would be great for them all to go out, including Harper and Field but I imagine those two are likely to stay because of how light we are. Shame as those two would probably benefit from 15 games more than most.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1006 on: January 27, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »
We aren’t going to win the cup. So big question for these lads, is it worth costing them half a season of football for one FA cup game?

Personally It would be great for them all to go out, including Harper and Field but I imagine those two are likely to stay because of how light we are. Shame as those two would probably benefit from 15 games more than most.

Of course we are huge odds against but there aren't many Premier League team left. Unlikely, but we've had worse chances.

I would expect Wolves to really fancy their chances.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1007 on: January 27, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
Prem team's are falling by the wayside, got a good chance of knocking out another team from the greed league. I'd play same side with exception of HRK being replaced by Gayle could have good Cup run for a change.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1008 on: January 27, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »

Spurs are as good as out. Sheffield Wednesday might knock Chelsea out yet. Wolves and Brighton both have replays. Could only be 4/16 teams come round 5. Be 6 if we do our part.

We have a better chance of winning the cup competition than we will ever have at winning the premier league.
O Albion we love you

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1009 on: January 27, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »
I love some of the optimism but it’s not going to happen. One of the Manchester’s will win it.

History tends to show when it falls like this it just makes an easier route for big remaining clubs. Since 1995 one of the current ‘top  6’ hasn’t won it only twice. The league cup gets a better spread.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:15:41 PM by johnny Cash »

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1010 on: January 27, 2019, 06:24:52 PM »
I love some of the optimism but it’s not going to happen. One of the Manchester’s will win it.

History tends to show when it falls like this it just makes an easier route for big remaining clubs. Since 1995 one of the current ‘top  6’ hasn’t won it only twice. The league cup gets a better spread.

Come on Johnny if you don't dream in football that we could be the best or we could win something it's a pointless venture. You saw how things were in 2008 when Portsmouth won it.

You're probably right it would be one of the Manchester sides but the beauty of the cup is anything can happen over one game. Be nice to appear in another semi or even a final. Never say never Wigan won the thing and they weren't supposed too
O Albion we love you

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1011 on: January 27, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »
Come on Johnny if you don't dream in football that we could be the best or we could win something it's a pointless venture. You saw how things were in 2008 when Portsmouth won it.

You're probably right it would be one of the Manchester sides but the beauty of the cup is anything can happen over one game. Be nice to appear in another semi or even a final. Never say never Wigan won the thing and they weren't supposed too

I would love us to win something, but sadly I think the past few years have been a far better chance for us than this one.

Would love to get back up and win a cup with a couple or more academy players in the side, and to get back on topic I think those players will develop more of they get games.

I heard on a podcast the other day that 17 players in the one of the England youth sides, can’t remember which age but it was either the World Cup or euro championship group had EFL experience already. Some of our lads are nearly 20 and have nearly any experience. Sat on the bench or in our reserve they’ll get left behind and overtaken.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1012 on: January 27, 2019, 06:31:41 PM »
That same podcast also said pound for pound we have the beat academy in the EFL.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1013 on: January 27, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »
That same podcast also said pound for pound we have the beat academy in the EFL.
is that the English beat :P

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1014 on: January 29, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »
Will Fitzwater be going back out. Or are we literally waiting to the last hour to make sure man city don't recall tosin so we can send him back to the saddlers.

Leko or Edwards going out?
That tulloch looked lively the other day be good if we could get him a slot in league 2 until the end of the season
O Albion we love you

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1015 on: February 01, 2019, 08:36:25 PM »
Albion 3-0 up at half time vs Norwich in the under 23's. Yet another goal for Jamie Soule (must be loaned out un the summer, seems to have found his mojo again after dropping out of the England picture 2 years ago). The bigger story though, 2 more for Morgan Rodgers. Only 16 years of age, and yet he is really having a huge impact on under 18 and under 23 football.

People in the know about youth football reckon he is the real deal and one of the top youngsters of a very good bunch of England teenagers.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:40:47 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1016 on: February 01, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
Update, currently 6-2 with 20 mins left.

Soule has 2
16 year old Rodgers has 4
Boing Boing

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1017 on: February 01, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »
Update, currently 6-2 with 20 mins left.

Soule has 2
16 year old Rodgers has 4

According to Norwich Twitter Lamy a trialist got the first
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1018 on: February 01, 2019, 08:51:53 PM »
Albion's twitter thought Rodgers scored, he must have been close or putting defender under pressure and our lot got it wrong.

Still a hat trick, and hit bar with a free kick.
Boing Boing

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1019 on: February 01, 2019, 08:55:32 PM »
Albion's twitter thought Rodgers scored, he must have been close or putting defender under pressure and our lot got it wrong.

Still a hat trick, and hit bar with a free kick.

No idea who got it then  :D

This is Julien Lamy the trialist details

https://us.soccerway.com/players/julien-lamy/478133/

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1020 on: February 01, 2019, 09:45:16 PM »
I'd be very surprised if the club holds onto Rodgers, he's probably the highest rated prospect we've ever produced and arguably the star player of the current England under 17 team. No doubt he'll have top teams here and abroad offering him contracts.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1021 on: February 01, 2019, 10:30:59 PM »
I'd be very surprised if the club holds onto Rodgers, he's probably the highest rated prospect we've ever produced and arguably the star player of the current England under 17 team. No doubt he'll have top teams here and abroad offering him contracts.
apparently already has and said no at least once or twice now.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1022 on: February 02, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »
He is reported to be on German clubs radars.
Boing Boing

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1023 on: February 06, 2019, 10:58:46 PM »
I don't like to get carried away with young players and some of the hype that goes on but do follow the under 23's online and the odd game I see .
Tonight against Brighton was a huge step up from the Under 23's and these lads have really shown something , there's some serious potential there in 3 or 4 of them .
I know ( and agree in some respects ) many are annoyed with DM for using both Cups as a testing ground for the youngsters but overall our main aim doesn't involve those competitions .
Not saying I'd want this every season but it's done a lot of good this year.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:04:35 PM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1024 on: February 07, 2019, 12:46:17 PM »
Nice to see Rogers come on but was there any gain - as in it makes it more difficult / expensive for another club to pinch him now that he's played for the senior team ?