Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 647317 times)

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #550 on: May 15, 2015, 07:35:06 PM »
How do you follow the score

enzo maresca

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #551 on: May 15, 2015, 07:51:47 PM »
FlashScore.com
Zigga Zagga

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #552 on: May 15, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
Reading's twitter account

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #553 on: May 15, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »
Yes it just twigged to check  :D thanks though and great to see nabi on the scoresheet surely going to move on in the summer and try he's game in the football league.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #554 on: May 15, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »
Seems we was very close to getting promoted only a point between us and second place, well done to Shan and the team.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #555 on: May 19, 2015, 03:54:16 PM »
Alex Jones has signed for Birmingham City on a 2 Year deal plus one year option.
http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/alex-jones-birmingham-city-2451722.aspx?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #556 on: May 19, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
I can't remember where I saw it, it might have been on here, but it said we were re-evaluating the current U-21 squad, maybe to bring a few more through to the first team? Was it Peace's piece (ha!) in the programme?

Good move for Alex, never had much hype about him but seems to have scored a fair few at U-21 level
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #557 on: May 19, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »
I can't remember where I saw it, it might have been on here, but it said we were re-evaluating the current U-21 squad, maybe to bring a few more through to the first team? Was it Peace's piece (ha!) in the programme?

Good move for Alex, never had much hype about him but seems to have scored a fair few at U-21 level
according to transfermarkt (which admittedly is not the most reliable source when it comes to youth teams) say he managed 11 goals and 4 assists in 47 games for the U21's over the span of 4 years, which isn't terrible when you consider he was competing with Nabi and Saido for a place. I think his only external experience is when City had him on trial a few months back, so he's managed to make Championship level without ever going on loan.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #558 on: May 19, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »
according to transfermarkt (which admittedly is not the most reliable source when it comes to youth teams) say he managed 11 goals and 4 assists in 47 games for the U21's over the span of 4 years, which isn't terrible when you consider he was competing with Nabi and Saido for a place. I think his only external experience is when City had him on trial a few months back, so he's managed to make Championship level without ever going on loan.

Yeah a goal or assist every 3 and a bit games isn't bad going, but not setting the world alight either. To compare to Adil Nabi, Adil has a goal or assist every 149 minutes vs Alex's 212.

Average appearance is about 67 minutes across all seasons for Jones vs 75 for Nabi.

Wish the lad well

EDIT: I didn't realise Adil Nabi was scoring at better than a goal every other game for the U-21, and he has 6 assists!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:21:57 PM by MarkW »

He/him

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #559 on: May 19, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »
Yeah a goal or assist every 3 and a bit games isn't bad going, but not setting the world alight either. To compare to Adil Nabi, Adil has a goal or assist every 149 minutes vs Alex's 212.

Average appearance is about 67 minutes across all seasons for Jones vs 75 for Nabi.

Wish the lad well

EDIT: I didn't realise Adil Nabi was scoring at better than a goal every other game for the U-21, and he has 6 assists!
oh yeah, it's why behind Saido, Adil was touted as the big offensive player in this batch of players, arguably we havent got someone to replace him yet, Andre Wright and Tahvon Campbell look closest but there isn't a prodigious striker like we have in midfield (Tyler Roberts & Jonathon Leko)

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #560 on: May 19, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »
Roberts is a striker

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #561 on: May 19, 2015, 04:53:41 PM »
Roberts is a striker
really? he's played as a midfield for alot of this season for U18's & 21's.. then again Alex Jones was a midfielder turned into a striker , so what do I know.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #562 on: May 19, 2015, 10:33:41 PM »
Remember reading something that they like giving players a taste of different positions in the academy. I had Tyler Roberts down as a striker though.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #563 on: May 20, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »
Tyler Roberts is a striker.

Plays up front and captains the Wales youth team.

Hes always played up front through the youth levels, especially at under 16s.

Defiantly a striker.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #564 on: May 25, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »
Adil Nabi, Liam O'Neil & Donvervorn Daniels have all signed new 12 month deals.

Alex Palmer offered a 2 year professional deal.

Kyle Howkins has signed a 1 year professional deal.

Professional contracts also offered to Danny Barbir, Ethan Ross, Zak Elbouzedi, Robbie McCourt & Shaun Donnellan.

Alex Jones released who has already signed for Blues.
Bradley Garmston released.
Mani O'Sullivan released.
Wez Atkinson released.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #565 on: May 25, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »
No mention of Jonathon Leko dos anyone know what his contract status is?
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #566 on: May 25, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »
No mention of Jonathon Leko dos anyone know what his contract status is?
Agreed a contract "in principle" so we are just waiting till he's 17 so he can legally sign.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #567 on: May 25, 2015, 01:36:52 PM »
Agreed a contract "in principle" so we are just waiting till he's 17 so he can legally sign.

It's a stupid situation isn't it? We've got to wait till next April and hope that in the next 11 months some sleaze-ball agent doesn't basically bribe his parents with £40k to join Chelsea or something. So how do we handle this? Do we not play him and hamper his progression, only to try to ensure he stays or do we play him, get his profile big and risk the consequences?

I guess with him and Tyler (next Jan is his birthday) and any of the others, we can only hope that he instil a certain sense of pride and loyalty at some point so they feel like Albion and the concept of leaving isn't that attractive. If Izzy was indeed a Chelsea fan as a kid, then that sucks, but with the others I guess we can just wait and see.

We're a Premier league club damn it! We shouldn't be in a situation where we're hoping a kid doesn't do a runner. It's a pathetic situation and the youth team EPPP set up is broken where Level 1 clubs can lose players like this.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:53:42 PM by KnaveofAlbion »
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #568 on: May 25, 2015, 01:41:31 PM »
Agree knave, but from what I've heard (and I'm not saying it is at all correct or that I know anything as a matter of fact) that we have learnt from Izzy's situation (where a contract was verbally agreed but not much more as we felt that EPPP would cover us from poaching) and Leko has essentially already made up the contract and is technically tied to it.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #569 on: May 25, 2015, 01:46:47 PM »
Bradley  :'( :'(

Really hope we keep Nabi as a 3rd/4th choice striker next season. He's no worse than what we currently have. O'Neil can be Baird's replacement - plays in all the same positions except left back I believe.

Don't know as much about Daniels but playing for two different clubs should have helped him this year.

Hopefully the next lot of youngsters have the same sort of impact as the current crop, if not more so!

He/him

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »
Nabi didn't even make the squad for the last game of the season when there was nothing riding on the game, when we put a 16 year old on the bench, he's clearly not going to play here under Pulis. No idea why we've given him a new contract, let him make a career for himself elsewhere - its embarrassing to have a 21 year old on our books who has never played in a pro game.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #571 on: May 25, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »
Nabi didn't even make the squad for the last game of the season when there was nothing riding on the game, when we put a 16 year old on the bench, he's clearly not going to play here under Pulis. No idea why we've given him a new contract, let him make a career for himself elsewhere - its embarrassing to have a 21 year old on our books who has never played in a pro game.

Seems happy at the club from an interview he gave in January even if he's not playing hopefully one of them can break through next two years.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #572 on: May 25, 2015, 06:09:13 PM »
. I think it was the case yesterday that whether it was Nabi or Roberts they weren't going to get on (sadly in Nabi's case) as Anichebe and Ideye were also on the bench. Nabi has sat on the bench a handful of times already so it was probably a case of giving Roberts a taste of the match day squad.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #573 on: May 26, 2015, 10:50:14 AM »
Tyler roberts being called up for sales first team!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #574 on: May 26, 2015, 12:48:43 PM »
Tyler roberts being called up for sales first team!!
Do you mean Wales by any chance ? Looks like he's been invited to train with them without actually being named in the squad.