Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640319 times)

royhan

• WBA Coach

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »
Any word on how Brown played?

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
A match report is now on OS

baggiecarl

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #302 on: August 18, 2014, 11:33:10 PM »
On tonight's display, he looked off the pace , and did not show any flashes of quality that you would expect to see , from a 10 million pound striker.

I would think , its more about his fitness and avoiding injury ,so I would not read to much into  tonight's performance .

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2014, 12:48:28 AM »

Honestly, not too well.

The dingle defenders marshalled him relatively easily.

I thought he was outshone by the youngsters, especially Nabi, Garmston and Leko.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2014, 02:07:45 AM »
Was it a decent fan turn out?

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2014, 04:08:43 AM »

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #306 on: August 19, 2014, 07:48:30 AM »
I didn't go but from I read about Brown on Twitter from those who did, they felt that he looked like a good player (good touch, good awareness, etc) but he was clearly playing within himself a little. As you get a lot in pre season, when players know they are going to do 90 minutes for the first time in a long time they do often just try to do the bare minimum, just so that they don't run themselves into the ground and they get through the game.

WBA 59

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »
I did not think he looked that good last night, as royhan said the dingle defence had no problems with him. Did not look like a £10m striker. I also thought Nabi,
Garmaston had good games but in my opinion Liam O'neil after giving the ball away in twice in the first few minuits had an excelent game and was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch having said that Rose in goal made 2/3 good saves especially at the end when McAuley fell over.
My best birthday present ever 29 April 1959 Albion 1 vile 1 Ronnie Allen scored with 3 min to go and sent the vile down

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #308 on: August 19, 2014, 08:15:20 AM »
Leko, nabi and oneil looked good! That Leko could be an asset if he works on confidence, extremely skilful on the wing. Head went down too often though.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #309 on: August 19, 2014, 08:17:02 AM »
The first thing that surprised was how slight he was . He kept himself back last night so has not to get injured . Let's hope the real ideye is a lot better .

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #310 on: August 19, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
will the real Ideye Brown please stand up
Heard Davidson had a good game?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:25:39 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

dan_wba

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #311 on: August 19, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »
Sure I heard that Leko is only 15!

Danny Barrow looks like a really good player too

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #312 on: August 19, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
Sure I heard that Leko is only 15!

Leko is 16 this year. Plays in the same age category as my friends brother.
Looks a very good talent, and from the under 16s games I watched last season, hes very highly rated amongst coaches who seem to encourage him to go past players and dont seem too upset when he loses the ball.

There are some very good players in the under 16 team.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #313 on: August 19, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »
Looks a very good talent, and from the under 16s games I watched last season, hes very highly rated amongst coaches who seem to encourage him to go past players and dont seem too upset when he loses the ball.

Wow, did not realise he was that young. He was always looking to take on the defenders and get in behind them (something we lack in our first team!). If he can sort out the issues regarding letting his head drop he'll be a hell of a player.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

dan_wba

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #314 on: August 19, 2014, 03:29:35 PM »

That's encouraging to hear, heard good things about that Danny Barbir lad too

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »
I've always heard good things about Adil Nabi...

Plus on Football Manager, when I loaned him out to Hereford, he scored 27 goals in 39 games... :P
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

I guess I'm in love with West Brom...I have been for around 3 months now.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #316 on: August 19, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »

From the little that I have seen of him, Danny Barrow looks quality.
Excellent touch, quick feet, cracking movement off the ball and good vision.
Will not criticise him for lack of size or physique, but it may serve him well to look up once in a while.
Having said that, only seen him on Youtube which was provided by a Birmingham City scout.
Other teams, and not just those down the road and currently less fortunate than ourselves, are very aware of him, including the likes of Arsenal.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »
I went with my mate who's a wolves fan. Now I know it was a fitness exercise but I really don't see ideye as a main asset as in blistering pace or good in the air. His touch was very poor. Davidson also I can't see being better than poco. Some of the older group need to be moved on I think as they are nowhere near premier league level. The lad who played alongside gmac looks a talent even though his mistake have away the wolves goal. O Neil played well. I thought the young wolves left back looked a decent lad aswel.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2014, 11:27:36 AM »
Danny Barrow looks quality great passer and vision, excellent skill and looks to be positive at every chance he gets, I would be surprised if he was here in two years time but i hope so, Looks like the type of player that has the ptential to get fans off there seat and excited.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
I went with my mate who's a wolves fan. Now I know it was a fitness exercise but I really don't see ideye as a main asset as in blistering pace or good in the air. His touch was very poor. Davidson also I can't see being better than poco. Some of the older group need to be moved on I think as they are nowhere near premier league level. The lad who played alongside gmac looks a talent even though his mistake have away the wolves goal. O Neil played well. I thought the young wolves left back looked a decent lad aswel.

I’m sorry but you simply cannot come to those sorts of conclusions after watching ONE game. Firstly, even the best players can look poor in one off games; it’s their consistency and ability to look good over the course of a season that sets them apart (Also, let’s not forget that Brown scored 2 in the previous U21 game!).

Secondly, Brown and Davidson are both significantly lacking in match practice and sharpness. You can be the best player in the world but if you don’t have the fitness to allow you to play how you want then you’re not going to look anywhere near the player you can be.  They both need far more time to settle in and get up to speed before the judgements begin.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #320 on: August 20, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »
I’m sorry but you simply cannot come to those sorts of conclusions after watching ONE game. Firstly, even the best players can look poor in one off games; it’s their consistency and ability to look good over the course of a season that sets them apart (Also, let’s not forget that Brown scored 2 in the previous U21 game!).

Secondly, Brown and Davidson are both significantly lacking in match practice and sharpness. You can be the best player in the world but if you don’t have the fitness to allow you to play how you want then you’re not going to look anywhere near the player you can be.  They both need far more time to settle in and get up to speed before the judgements begin.
im not judging any of them im merely giving my opinion on what i saw. regarding ideye what im saying is most strikers have a particular asset, i didnt see him excell at any. maybe with better players around him he may shine,but he will also have better defenders around him. overall when you consider the experience within that team against a wolves team of mostly kids i was really disappointed.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #321 on: August 21, 2014, 01:06:01 PM »
is Barrow the one we got from Plymouth ?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #322 on: August 21, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »
Yes, he came to us from Plymouth in about 2011.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #323 on: September 15, 2014, 05:44:27 PM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/under-21s-squad-for-bolton-trip-tonight-1916864.aspx

ALBION visit the County Ground, Leyland, to face Bolton tonight (ko 7pm) in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League.

Liam O’Neil, Kemar Roofe and Bradley Garmston will all be looking to impress against the Trotters after being included in James Shan’s 16-man squad.

ALBION (from): Barrow, Donnellan, Garmston, Hawkins, Kandi, Leko, S.Nabi, A.Nabi, O’Neil, Pace, Palmer, Roofe, Rose, Smart, Ward, Wedderburn.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #324 on: September 15, 2014, 05:54:39 PM »
 So none of the ´unfit ´ones are included , interesting when we have no midweek game and dont play until Sunday. Have to conclude that ALL should be available this weekend.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas