Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 216046 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #625 on: June 24, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
If the clubs that are linked with him, are actually interested - there is no way he will be here next season
not going to get into any of their 25 man squad never mind first team, just be loaned out or put into their reserves. Kid needs first team football which he should get with us.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #626 on: June 24, 2019, 01:59:05 PM »
might be waiting to see who we appointed as head coach and Slaven's vision for club going forward.
Bilic will hold talks with Harper regarding his future, according to Matt Wilson’s tweet last week.
Of course wage would be the most decisive factor, but more playing time in next season might able to convince him to stay.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:58:18 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #627 on: June 24, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
not going to get into any of their 25 man squad never mind first team, just be loaned out or put into their reserves. Kid needs first team football which he should get with us.

Minor point but due to his age he doesn't need to be named as part of a 25 man squad
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #628 on: June 24, 2019, 02:25:24 PM »
With those teams interested no way he will stay, best hope may be that we loan him back for the season.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #629 on: June 24, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »

But will probably be financially secure for life like Izzy Brown if one of those clubs come in. Will go out on loan at a level similar to us and stay there for the rest of his career or he works his backside off and who knows.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #630 on: June 24, 2019, 09:20:12 PM »
You have to be honest and say why wouldn't he go and get several times his current wages, don't blame the lad at all just the system.
I'm told Chelsea had 50 players out on loan last season, just in case a gem was in there somewhere and thats just one club.
I do worry about his attitude though.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #631 on: June 24, 2019, 10:35:55 PM »
You have to be honest and say why wouldn't he go and get several times his current wages, don't blame the lad at all just the system.
I'm told Chelsea had 50 players out on loan last season, just in case a gem was in there somewhere and thats just one club.

What attitude? I keep hearing this banded around about him aimlessly, the lads 19, played a few games and is correctly waiting to think, assess and make the next step in his career.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #632 on: June 25, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
What attitude? I keep hearing this banded around about him aimlessly, the lads 19, played a few games and is correctly waiting to think, assess and make the next step in his career.

It's not been banded about aimlessly, the kid went missing for the final 3 months of the season. In the eyes of the majority it was clear that his head had been turned and was just going through the motions.  Yes, it's totally fine if he wants to think and assess his next career move but while he is still employed by the Albion it's not unreasonable to have expected him to put a shift in, show a bit more passion and willing and knuckle down to his job at hand.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #633 on: June 25, 2019, 11:56:29 AM »
50 kids who won't make it into chelskis 25 man squad, all there doing is taking advantage of a rule that prevents other clubs from developing their own talent.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #634 on: June 25, 2019, 12:03:25 PM »
50 kids who won't make it into chelskis 25 man squad, all there doing is taking advantage of a rule that prevents other clubs from developing their own talent.

Don't need to be named in 25 man squad until not considered u-21 age group.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #635 on: June 25, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »

Don't need to be named in 25 man squad until not considered u-21 age group.
these players will eventually turn 22 and vast majority will never play a competitive match for their first team.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #636 on: June 25, 2019, 12:06:11 PM »
It's not been banded about aimlessly, the kid went missing for the final 3 months of the season. In the eyes of the majority it was clear that his head had been turned and was just going through the motions.  Yes, it's totally fine if he wants to think and assess his next career move but while he is still employed by the Albion it's not unreasonable to have expected him to put a shift in, show a bit more passion and willing and knuckle down to his job at hand.
Could just be the weight of expectation has gotten to him
It happens to the beast

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #637 on: June 25, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
Could just be the weight of expectation has gotten to him
It happens to the beast

I agree that the weight of expectation does impact certain players, of that there is no doubt. I'm not sure though in Harper's case there was all that amount of high expectation? As a 19 year old lad just having made the breakthrough to the first team, just having a usual 19 year old's sense of enthusiasm, high tempo and energy levels would have been enough to have endeared himself to the fans during his initial breakthrough season. Yes, expectation levels would rise in due course as he develops and progresses as a man and a footballer but initially you just want to see some positive body language and commitment and that is what appears to have been lacking.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #638 on: June 25, 2019, 08:14:35 PM »
I agree that the weight of expectation does impact certain players, of that there is no doubt. I'm not sure though in Harper's case there was all that amount of high expectation? As a 19 year old lad just having made the breakthrough to the first team, just having a usual 19 year old's sense of enthusiasm, high tempo and energy levels would have been enough to have endeared himself to the fans during his initial breakthrough season. Yes, expectation levels would rise in due course as he develops and progresses as a man and a footballer but initially you just want to see some positive body language and commitment and that is what appears to have been lacking.
At times most of the buggers last season could have been accused of going missing , if I had been asked to play in the middle with brunt and Livermore I wouldn’t have come out yet
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #639 on: June 25, 2019, 08:30:25 PM »
The point I'm making is they can afford to pay stupid money to kids who have a resemblance of some kind of talent and loan them out until its obvious they haven't or if they have sit them on the bench to rot for 3 years and then sell them when they have only played 4 games in that time.
Can't be right that one club can have that many youngsters out on loan.
But again who could tell their lad to stay put and it may happen or go pear shaped.
And yes  expectation may have weighed him down or he may just look like he doesn't give a s..t

In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #640 on: June 25, 2019, 10:01:46 PM »
It's not been banded about aimlessly, the kid went missing for the final 3 months of the season. In the eyes of the majority it was clear that his head had been turned and was just going through the motions. Yes, it's totally fine if he wants to think and assess his next career move but while he is still employed by the Albion it's not unreasonable to have expected him to put a shift in, show a bit more passion and willing and knuckle down to his job at hand.
In the eyes of what majority? not really even a majority on this forum, just people who have turned against him because he has not yet signed a contract with the club.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #641 on: June 25, 2019, 10:20:13 PM »
If we lose Harper and Barry for a pittance you have to ask what's the point in funding the academy. it's alright developing these players for the 1st team or even selling for big money to self fund the academy but it's not happening. we seem to be able to produce a high number of international youngsters that I hope benefit the club some day.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #642 on: June 25, 2019, 10:21:17 PM »
In the eyes of what majority? not really even a majority on this forum, just people who have turned against him because he has not yet signed a contract with the club.

I don't think it's anything to do with his willingness to sign a contract or not, like I said in an earlier post, it's perfectly fine if he wants to think about his options and consider his career. What is not fine is his seemingly 'cant be bothered' body language and demeanour on the pitch over the final few months of the season. This I believe IS a majority view, certainly amongst Albion fans I know and speak to. It matters not a jot to me if he or anyone else signs a new contract or not, I just expect 100% effort, commitment, energy levels and positive body language from EVERY Albion player whilst they are employed by and representing the Albion.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #643 on: June 25, 2019, 10:32:01 PM »
If we lose Harper and Barry for a pittance you have to ask what's the point in funding the academy. it's alright developing these players for the 1st team or even selling for big money to self fund the academy but it's not happening. we seem to be able to produce a high number of international youngsters that I hope benefit the club some day.
How many West Brom academy players have actually gone on to advance their careers beyond where they could have been had they stayed with us? I can't think of any. Izzy Brown has probably done well financially but hasn't done a lot - is there anyone else?

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #644 on: June 25, 2019, 10:39:01 PM »
Chris Wood has had a decent career tbf but agree there isn’t many.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #645 on: June 25, 2019, 10:42:34 PM »
I was thinking Chris Woods too but since he left there are not many times he would have got into our first team.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #646 on: June 25, 2019, 11:16:00 PM »
I don't think it's anything to do with his willingness to sign a contract or not, like I said in an earlier post, it's perfectly fine if he wants to think about his options and consider his career. What is not fine is his seemingly 'cant be bothered' body language and demeanour on the pitch over the final few months of the season. This I believe IS a majority view, certainly amongst Albion fans I know and speak to. It matters not a jot to me if he or anyone else signs a new contract or not, I just expect 100% effort, commitment, energy levels and positive body language from EVERY Albion player whilst they are employed by and representing the Albion.
I started this thread back in August ,because I was frustrated by the management of the day for not selecting him. Darren was I believe playing safe by selecting the old guard. He treated both Harper and Field appallingly , continuing to omit Harper and then when he did select him and he started to produce , in my humble opinion he overdid it and left him in too long. There is no doubt that Harper was poorly managed last season as were Field and Edwards. These are young inexperienced players still developing and playing in matches which were all very important in the battle for promotion, and they did not have any leaders helping them on the pitch except Barry when he played. Most of our players "were off it" one time or another during last season.
I was at Q.P.R where we won with a last minute goal from a subtle Rekeem backheel to the overlapping Holgate who crossed for Livermore to net the winner. That was a touch of real class of which we saw little after Barnes had left. Rekeem Harper did not throw the towel in he just lost form and confidence, but he will go on to be a very good player either here or elsewhere.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #647 on: June 26, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »
I started this thread back in August ,because I was frustrated by the management of the day for not selecting him. Darren was I believe playing safe by selecting the old guard. He treated both Harper and Field appallingly , continuing to omit Harper and then when he did select him and he started to produce , in my humble opinion he overdid it and left him in too long. There is no doubt that Harper was poorly managed last season as were Field and Edwards. These are young inexperienced players still developing and playing in matches which were all very important in the battle for promotion, and they did not have any leaders helping them on the pitch except Barry when he played. Most of our players "were off it" one time or another during last season.
I was at Q.P.R where we won with a last minute goal from a subtle Rekeem backheel to the overlapping Holgate who crossed for Livermore to net the winner. That was a touch of real class of which we saw little after Barnes had left. Rekeem Harper did not throw the towel in he just lost form and confidence, but he will go on to be a very good player either here or elsewhere.

I agree with this. He frustrated me (and many others) towards the end of the season but I have very little doubt that he will make a good player. Exactly how good I am not sure, and this is where a real hunger and positive attitude comes into play.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #648 on: June 26, 2019, 02:20:45 PM »

Chris Wood was a bit different though, he'd played a solid amount of games for us and just couldn't crack the first team who were in the Premier League at the time. It would be like if Field left this season after being loaned out - he'd clearly have a good amount of experience under his belt and game time.

The difference is players going too soon, i.e. James Hurst to Portsmouth. If you go to a club where you won't get nurtured correctly then it's incredibly hard to succeed. That's why I've always thought Berahino actually did quite well compared to Izzy Brown who was above him in the pecking order originally. Berahino may have messed his career up but he's easily earned a lot more than Brown as he stayed put and earned his reputation. It's better to be a big fish in a small pond at Harper's age, that is my point.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #649 on: June 27, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »
To play devils advocate:

Before I get started, this is probably more an observation on the way we handle our youth player in general rather than Harper.

There are complaints from the fanbase over the perceived attitude of Harper, Leko and sometime Field. I don't recall seeing any over Edwards. At times have felt a certain degree of sympathy for these players in the way the club have handled them.

Instead of putting faith in them, the club bought in loan rangers or old-timers on short-term contracts. I'll say that Barnes, Gayle, Holgate and Johansen were worth it. But if you're a youngster on the fringes of the squad, I can imagine seeing Tyrone Mears or Wes Hoolahan or even Jacob Murphy and Tosin sat on the bench or getting minutes on the pitch instead of you must be disheartening. And then when things go wrong they're expected to spring on that pitch and give it their all? I know an argument will be about the money they are on, but all the money in the world won't shift a feeling of "f*cks sake, what is the bloody point" that I imagine is running through these kids heads at those points.

I think the club have, at stages, failed these young players and could have handled them an awul lot better and if I were in their position, I would certainly be looking at options presented to me.