Author Topic: Tyrone Mears  (Read 61564 times)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Tyrone Mears signs official
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2018, 07:50:49 PM »
Mears will be in the wilderness again soon when he gets his Xmas present from Jenkins, his p45.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2018, 08:15:09 PM »
There was a point in the first half where he couldn’t run back . The role being asked of him is too much regardless of anything else . He played a back pass to Johnstone in the first half that was desperately poor from someone with ‘ experience ‘

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2018, 08:53:21 PM »
Totally agree. When you feel sorry for a player, as many of us do, it tells you a lot. Totally out of his depth. Just cannot do the wing back role. The young lad Edwards, an out and out winger, was a big upgrade when he came on.

Definitely. Would much rather see him play than Mears. End his monthly contract this month and be done with it. Embarassing for all parties.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:55:16 PM by MarkW »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
I don’t rate Mears, he is pretty useless.

However booing him is a disgrace. He hasn’t had a Stella career so I doubt he’s sitting on millions. He’s unlikely to be getting a media career and he will be a long time retired.

Can’t blame the guy for accepting a contract, and I certainly wouldn’t accuse him of not putting the effort in.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2018, 09:47:17 PM »
We've all been there and played a game of football out of our depth. He is doing his best. I think once the game was won DM wanted to see how both Edwards and Tosin would play there. I hope Phillips is fit again soon.

baggiesboots

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2018, 09:56:26 PM »
The  basic remit of a stand in player was carried out today, yes it wasn't pretty but he did his best. Surely any player shouldn't be castigated for that. When Edwards came on and we started playing forward instead mainly of sideward and backward, we looked a much better prospect. Good delivery for our 1st though, and a pivotal point in the game so gets a thumbs up for that, let's not knock our own folks.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2018, 09:56:32 PM »
I didn't hear anybody boo mears today and don't condone any of our own ever being booed as that is the oppositions job.

Although I was very tempted to boo the detestable pardew.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
I think against Sheffield Wednesday he was awful, but having said that in the other games (Milwall, Preston and Reading) he has been ok - getting 2 assists in those games too.

The problem is that he is naturally quite defensive, especially at his age where you won't see him bombing forward much. Because of his nature, I don't think he really suits our current style, whereas Phillips does; because he is much more aggressive in attack. In other words, I think he'd be better suited in a Pulis-style team where there's less intent for him to go forward.

I actually think all things considered he's been ok - for a free agent from the MLS at 35 he's not done badly bar the Wednesday game. I imagine he will stay until Sako is fit who will then replace him and he will probably go in January.
But overall I think he's done a job given the circumstances, anyway it would be moronic to boo him - we've had worse than him over the years.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »
I think we all know that if not for the injury to Phillips he would be on the bench at best, what I don't understand about his signing is that if we knew the type of formation we were hoping to play then surely it would be known he wouldn't fit in, no. t the players fault, maybe 5 years ago he would have been capable of playing as wing back but not at the moment
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2018, 10:27:25 PM »
His a short term signing so we have to wait for a proper replacement in due course hopefully, he played against us alongside Darren Moore in our play off defeat and I don't recall his performance so I don't know what he was like in his prime.

The alternative is Howkins who has been very poor when I have seen him.

We just need to be close to the top 2 by Jan and then bring in proper reinforcements for hopefully the final push.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
I'm going to guess DM thought we needed extra bodies and  at that point you're looking at out of contract players so pickings would be slim to the least. Obviously with Phillips fit he wouldn't be in the starting line-up.

You'd hope, seeing the way we set up, that come Jan we will strengthen I'm the obvious areas.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2018, 10:56:59 PM »
I'm going to guess DM thought we needed extra bodies and  at that point you're looking at out of contract players so pickings would be slim to the least. Obviously with Phillips fit he wouldn't be in the starting line-up.

You'd hope, seeing the way we set up, that come Jan we will strengthen I'm the obvious areas.

That's exactly what it was because he wanted Taverner from rangers.

He's a short term fix. It's just sad our academy hadn't produced a young hopeful he could have negated the need for mears

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2018, 11:44:07 PM »
funnily enough, I heard a whisper, a few weeks back, that at the end of his contract in the new year, he will hang up his boots and join the coaching team....  no idea in what role.
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2018, 12:39:37 AM »
Feel a bit sorry for him. Miles out of his depth at wing back. Would probably do a job at RB but WB is probably one of the hardest positons to play. Made even harder when you’re 35, of limited ability going forward and have been playing a poor standard of football for the last few years. Hopefully the last we see of him in this position.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2018, 01:16:59 AM »
Nobody questioning his effort he's just out of his depth sadly. Would rather us try Edwards out there whilst Phillips isn't fit.
O Albion we love you

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2018, 02:18:25 PM »
It's an old cliche, but a top manager has to have the nerve to change a winning side, not wait for the fail.  I don't begrude Mears his contract as cover; I haven't seen him live, just on streams, so I'll trust those who've seen the big picture that he isn't really up for the WB role.  Thank you for flying over from the USA, now get ready for a few splinters off the bench till Xmas.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »
funnily enough, I heard a whisper, a few weeks back, that at the end of his contract in the new year, he will hang up his boots and join the coaching team....  no idea in what role.
Perhaps he's destined for great things as a coach and that's why we got him in. Now wouldn't that be forward thinking.
Edwards should still start next game though

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2018, 04:57:01 PM »
Next game is going to be tough as they got battered yesterday, but the positives for us were their main man Powell went off injured and dingle Gibson got sent off.

Having said that I rate their manager ex dingle cook, so it will be an interesting match up.

I just hope mp is back from injury.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
Don't want to make an overt attack on his ability so probably the kindest thing I can say about his display yesterday was that he looked to be a long way out of his depth 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »
He shouldn't play for us, or anybody else at this level again. Nice cross for the goal, but he proved he should have retired. Reminded me of when Gary Neville came up against us and Dorrans had him for breakfast. He retired the next day, because he knew he couldn't do it anymore.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2018, 02:23:44 PM »
Looks like we have settled on our new whipping boy.
Still, it will help Brunt if Mears takes on the unwanted role for the remainder of his career, which will not extend too far into 2019 imo.
Am I alone in thinking that the oft-repeated 'out of his depth', jibe has been overdone?
Although TM is unquestionably one of the weaker members of the squad, I struggle to remember repeated, crucial mistakes that have cost us goals (or points). No doubt someone with a less eroded memory will be able to supply a definitive list. And if posters want to highlight his erratic passing, I would suggest there are other (more popular) players who are equally culpable.
For a guy who has been written off as incapable of playing the RWB role, he did a fair impression of a WB when he supplied a perfect cross for DG's first.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »
Thought i saw a few green shoots in his performance this week  :-\

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2018, 05:31:16 PM »
Looks like we have settled on our new whipping boy.
Still, it will help Brunt if Mears takes on the unwanted role for the remainder of his career, which will not extend too far into 2019 imo.
Am I alone in thinking that the oft-repeated 'out of his depth', jibe has been overdone?
Although TM is unquestionably one of the weaker members of the squad, I struggle to remember repeated, crucial mistakes that have cost us goals (or points). No doubt someone with a less eroded memory will be able to supply a definitive list. And if posters want to highlight his erratic passing, I would suggest there are other (more popular) players who are equally culpable.
For a guy who has been written off as incapable of playing the RWB role, he did a fair impression of a WB when he supplied a perfect cross for DG's first.
just because we haven’t been punished because of his lack of pace, positional sense, lack of ability, poor passing, doesn’t mean he’s not out of his depth or that people aren’t entitled to their opinion that he is in fact out of his depth. As for his cross, in my opinion it was total fluke that got lucky it landed to Gayle, there’s no chance he intentionally put that much height and dip on a cross to the back post.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #173 on: October 10, 2018, 06:55:25 AM »
just because we haven’t been punished because of his lack of pace, positional sense, lack of ability, poor passing, doesn’t mean he’s not out of his depth or that people aren’t entitled to their opinion that he is in fact out of his depth. As for his cross, in my opinion it was total fluke that got lucky it landed to Gayle, there’s no chance he intentionally put that much height and dip on a cross to the back post.

Think you're doing him a disservice , he's put in similar crosses in games recently including against Preston that led to the own goal.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #174 on: October 10, 2018, 07:36:40 AM »
Think you're doing him a disservice , he's put in similar crosses in games recently including against Preston that led to the own goal.
maybe, but for me his body shape suggested he wanted to whip it in, he somehow stumbled backwards a bit and the cross ended up looping.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.