Author Topic: 14 May 2019 Albion 1 Aston Villa 0 (Play Off 2nd Leg)  (Read 111361 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: For anyone under the age of say 50 ..............
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »

I'm not misunderstanding anything. When Lukaku scored his hattrick goal the place went bananas.

Tuesday will be a nervy quiet night imo.

Lol. That was nothing in comparison. All those games you listed none match that Swansea game.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #226 on: May 12, 2019, 12:32:01 PM »

Lol. That was nothing in comparison. All those games you listed none match that Swansea game.

Swansea was a concerted wall of noise. You'll be sorely disappointed if you're expecting anything like that on Tuesday, it hasn't come close to happening since. The games I've cited all caused a better atmosphere than I'm expecting on Tuesday.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #227 on: May 12, 2019, 12:35:08 PM »
The one goal deficit doesn't bother me. Gayle missing can be catered for. My biggest concern is the management picking the right players and making the right decisions.  It was quite clear from the first leg the management were to blame for why it went wrong.
They should have had Tosun on the bench . It would have been a straight forward decision to put Tosun in Dawson's position. We missed Holgate at right back and Mears gave us nothing at all.  Phillips was clearly not 100% match fit.  He should have been on the bench and bought on in the 2nd half. Johanson was given the job of looking after Greaseish where he would have been better employed creating chances for us.  Field could have done the job of marking greasy.  Gayle should have been replaced when he picked up a yellow.
So it will be interesting to see what his team and tactics are on Tuesday. I have a nasty feeling he might start with Phillips up front. I would go with youth and give Lecko a run out. At least with his young legs he will keep their defence on their toes. I would also put edwards in midfield.
Agree with most of this
Wouldn't start Leko, don't think he is there yet in terms of consistency
Montero should play
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »

Swansea was a concerted wall of noise. You'll be sorely disappointed if you're expecting anything like that on Tuesday, it hasn't come close to happening since.

That's sort of my point. It was a very special night.

They don't come along every couple of years. They wouldn't be special if they did would they?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2019, 12:39:57 PM »
Agree with most of this
Wouldn't start Leko, don't think he is there yet in terms of consistency
Montero should play

Why? He hasn't done anything for us, or for that matter Swansea for about 3 seasons.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #230 on: May 12, 2019, 12:40:01 PM »
Tuesday is most certainly not a night for Leko, twisting, turning, holding on to the ball for fifteen seconds before firing it over the bar.

Please, No.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #231 on: May 12, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »
Tuesday is most certainly not a night for Leko, twisting, turning, holding on to the ball for fifteen seconds before firing it over the bar.

Please, No.
There is nothing else. I wish there was !! 

If Phillips was 100% match fit then that would be an option.  The only other option is packing the midfield and hoping some of them can get up to support Jrod.  So it could be a night for young legs !!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2019, 12:54:18 PM »
There is nothing else. I wish there was !! 

If Phillips was 100% match fit then that would be an option.  The only other option is packing the midfield and hoping some of them can get up to support Jrod.  So it could be a night for young legs !!

There are still better options. Edwards, Morrison, even Murphy all better options than Leko, probably Montero as well.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2019, 01:00:10 PM »

There are still better options. Edwards, Morrison, even Murphy all better options than Leko, probably Montero as well.

As strikers ???  I don't think so.

Morrison too old and too slow, Murphy is rubbish. Did nothing when he came on yesterday.  Edwards , yes, but as a supporting  midfielder.  Montero hasn't figured for us much since we loaned him.  There is probably a good reason for that !!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #234 on: May 12, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »
As strikers ???  I don't think so.

Morrison too old and too slow, Murphy is rubbish. Did nothing when he came on yesterday.  Edwards , yes, but as a supporting  midfielder.  Montero hasn't figured for us much since we loaned him.  There is probably a good reason for that !!

Leko isn't a striker. He is pretty much an out and out winger.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #235 on: May 12, 2019, 01:08:16 PM »
.......... Tuesday night could be the best night of your (our) lives as an Albion fan.

Don't get me wrong, anyone that bothers to read my posts (there must be the odd person that does lol) will know that I've said all along we are not good enough to go up, Villa are the better team and they will beat us. I stand by that, I fully expect them to go through on Tuesday

BUT

All Albion have to do is win the game to force extra time. 1-0 will do or 2-1 anything, just win the game. There is very much all to play for at this stage, it's a one off game and we can win it.

IF we pull this off given that it's Villa we're playing this would be something else. Everyone remember that night against Swansea in 1993? It could be the same again only better. We were 2-1 behind in 1993 as well.

No moaning on Tuesday the place has to rocking from before kick off. Lets make noise like we've never made before. It just could be a night that goes down in history and one we will never forget.
I know we had a little disagreement a few weeks back on the leeds villa match Atomic, but you're spot on here with what you've said. I love the passion and i hope Shan and the players can see posts like this!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #236 on: May 12, 2019, 01:12:48 PM »
I know we had a little disagreement a few weeks back on the leeds villa match Atomic, but you're spot on here with what you've said. I love the passion and i hope Shan and the players can see posts like this!

Pah! No worries my friend, it's what forums are for.  :-*

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2019, 01:17:39 PM »
Leko isn't a striker, Edwards is a striker, he may have been played as midfielder but he is actually a striker.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2019, 01:26:47 PM »
I'd consider starting Rayhaan Tulloch, he looked very lively against Brighton. We need as much pace, positivety and unpredictably as possible on Tuesday. Yes, its a gamble but I'd rather we go for it and fail then not take a chance. You could play him upfront with Rodrquiz in a 442.

Or we could have him on the bench to run at them when their legs are tired and go 4-5-1 with as many attacking midfielders supporting Rodriquez as possible. No point playing both Brunt and Johansen. We can't afford too many slow plodding players in the  midfield.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #239 on: May 12, 2019, 01:29:15 PM »
it doesn't matter if Leko is a winger or Edwards is a striker, our management are not that adventurous to play either of them.  They will probably decide to play Phillips up front, which will be a mistake or even Morrison.  I have said it before , the management lost us that game yesterday and I have a feeling they will blow it Tuesday as well !!!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2019, 05:55:56 PM »
I think we showed too much respect to Villa yesterday and that cannot happen Tuesday.

Villa are an average side with an exceptional player (Grealish) a very good player (Mcginn) and a couple of good players (Abrahams and Mings who is in the form of his life) the rest are poor (we arent world beaters ourselves)

Credit to Villa, they had a freak run of form which will probably only happen once in a lifetime but they played two better sides the last two games - Leeds (who they got a lucky point with the give goal, which incidentally i didnt see them rushing to put the ball out when Dawson was down yesterday) and Norwich, and they took 1 point out of 6 (Yes they made changes for Norwich but they still lost) but it shows they really arent nothing special, their form without Grealish shows that.

We finished 4 points better than them, a place above them, we scored more goals than them and we took 4 points off them yet 2nd half yesterday we played like plucky underdogs.

I am not sure if the club have got caught up in the media wave of how great this Villa side is supposed to be and started to believe it but i am hoping yesterday was all part of a longer term game plan and that we do not approach the game in the same way tuesday.

First half we were professional, we scored, had a couple of breaks and by half time Villa had run out of ideas, they were going sideways and hitting long shots, their crowd were flat.

They were always going to have a bit of a surge start of the second half but even then nothing happened, the mistake we made was we just stuck everyone behind the ball, inviting pressure, this in turn gave them hope (because they were camped in our half) and the fans started to get behind them and a couple of subs and they were in front.

We have probably the best two attacking wing backs / full backs at this level in Gibbs and Holgate, we have one of the best players at this level - Phillips, and we have the best striker partnership at this level - Gayle and Jrod, as our goals for tally shows our strengths are our attacking so i cannot understand why 2nd half we didnt play to our strengths, let Villa worry about us.

Instead we hoofed the ball, inspired little confidence and just had Gayle chasing lost causes, the game began to bypass our midfield (unless we have Brunt on the ball he is a passenger, he isnt going to start chasing and breaking up play) we had Villa screwed at half time yet we handed them the initiative back by being too respectful and negative and now things are in their favour.

When Shan came in last season, i think he was credited with being the brains behind last seasons near miracle, he did a great job, however we were the worst side in the league so the cautious approach worked. This season we are one of the best sides in the league, with our attacking threat we should be taking the game to teams, yet away from home especially we are too negative, and at home we arent convincing.

Shan has been thrust into this role and probably doesnt want to be in there but the mindset has to change at the club for Tuesday, i worry based on the last 10 games it wont and we will think 'what if'.

We all take the mick out the villa for their arrogance but right now our team need a bit of that, let teams worry about us instead of the other way round.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2019, 06:46:57 PM »
With our lack of strikers, I think we are going to have to rely on set pieces. That's where Brunty's left foot will be vital. Question is where to play him, midfield or left wing. Problem is his lack of pace needed in both positions, but especially on the wing.
Playing the youngsters is a risk, as their heads are likely to drop first if Villa score. Harper is in some ways more talented than all our midfielders, but I'm not sure about his temperament when we are up against it. On the other hand we don't want too many holding, sideways pass players in midfield.
Trouble is, we haven't got that many options.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »

Why? He hasn't done anything for us, or for that matter Swansea for about 3 seasons.

He's played 4 times and scored 1 goal. A much better option out wide left than Brunt who many are suggesting.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »
We, the fans, must all be up for this game that will shape both ours and Villa's future so we must play our part give our all in the stands.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2019, 07:20:32 PM »
He's played 4 times and scored 1 goal. A much better option out wide left than Brunt who many are suggesting.

Definitely not.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2019, 07:40:37 PM »
With our lack of strikers, I think we are going to have to rely on set pieces. That's where Brunty's left foot will be vital. Question is where to play him, midfield or left wing. Problem is his lack of pace needed in both positions, but especially on the wing.
Playing the youngsters is a risk, as their heads are likely to drop first if Villa score. Harper is in some ways more talented than all our midfielders, but I'm not sure about his temperament when we are up against it. On the other hand we don't want too many holding, sideways pass players in midfield.
Trouble is, we haven't got that many options.

Morrison. Experienced. Always looks forward and can still carry the ball.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2019, 07:50:00 PM »
Morrison. Experienced. Always looks forward and can still carry the ball.

Bang on.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Team
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2019, 08:51:17 PM »
Injury permitting we'll be unchanged aside from Gayle. 3 at the back will continue.

Morrison will probably come into midfield with Phillips pushed up front.
That will sort it then, no problem.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

rogerstubbs

• Baby Baggie

Re: Team
« Reply #248 on: May 12, 2019, 08:51:38 PM »
Has anyone heard any news on Dawson.Has Tosin just been left recently or is he injured?

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Match Officials
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »
When Darren Fletcher was our captain, he was in the referee's ear from start to finish, always trying to influence the referee.
Our present captain, neither motivates the team, of tries to get the referee "onside" . I was a Villa on Saturday and though he made no real headway with the referee, he was having a right finger pointing go at Dean Smith - totally pointless.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride